Moparts

Cam prices

Posted By: fast68plymouth

Cam prices - 08/01/23 03:26 PM

It’s no secret to anyone who’s bought, or shopped for, a cam lately that the prices have steadily gone up.

I just got an order confirmation from Comp yesterday on a flat tappet cam for a BBM.
My cost has gone up significantly........ in one big jump.

I checked on Summits site, and they had gone up there as well.

I checked several part numbers, for a variety of engine makes.
All have taken a big jump.

The roller cam prices from several suppliers were pretty close to each other, but there was a noticeable difference in price on the “racier” flat tappet grinds.

It’ll be interesting to see if the flat tappet prices get closer from brand to brand over the next weeks/months.
I’m wondering if the “lower” priced brands just haven’t rec’d a fresh batch of cores yet, and adjusted their prices accordingly.

Time will tell.

The current pricing for a custom FT cam that’s plasma nitrided is very close to a roller now.
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Cam prices - 08/01/23 03:37 PM

Unfortunately, we play the game. If you want to Play, you gotta pay.
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: Cam prices - 08/01/23 03:45 PM

Solid roller cams have got very expensive. I paid a bunch for mine from Bullet last year. I still have my flat tappet from you and may let it go soon. Everything is getting close to being out of reach for me. Think i'm going back to street only.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Cam prices - 08/01/23 05:31 PM

I have purchased three roller cams the past 10 months. One was just received from Bullet that’s as ordered a month ago. The prices keep going up like everything else. One of the cams I have ordered was a custom cam. Truly custom meaning we moved the lobes around not just changed numbers. I didn’t think the cost for any of them was that out of line with everything else. Just ordered my third set of BAM lifters as well and they have not been horrible either
Posted By: clovis

Re: Cam prices - 08/01/23 05:32 PM

Fast

What is the ballpark range for a "racier" flat tappet that has been coated? I have another engine that I was thinking about putting together and would need another cam, so inquiring minds want to know.

Re: Cam prices - 08/01/23 06:36 PM

A custom 3 bolt from Comp is now $340+ shipping, not including the Nitride process($135).

Even the racier shelf solids are $325 and up.

As an example:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-23-632-5

The shipping has also crept up, with charges for shipping just the cam ranging from $25-45.
Posted By: Brad_Haak

Re: Cam prices - 08/01/23 06:40 PM

What's a BBM solid roller going for now? wink

Re: Cam prices - 08/01/23 07:08 PM

For something that fits on a popular core:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...A9ZO8gAMVFUdHAR0ewAR9EAQYASABEgJlDvD_BwE

Re: Cam prices - 08/01/23 07:16 PM

Given the cost of the solid flat-tappet you mentioned above, I was expecting higher for a sold roller. All in due time, I'm sure...

Re: Cam prices - 08/01/23 07:35 PM

The rollers have snuck up a little here and there.
The FT’s went up like $95 over night(my cost).

For some reason, the “street” FT cams are still less $$$........ but still saw a noticeable increase.
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Cam prices - 08/01/23 09:21 PM

My Brian Tooley 5.7 LS stage 2 Cam was $389.99. springs were $240.

Just a reference.

Re: Cam prices - 08/02/23 03:31 AM

I think i paid $660 for the roller cam from Bullet. I thought that was a bit pricey. I remember not too long ago roller cams were in the $350 range.
Posted By: A727Tflite

Re: Cam prices - 08/02/23 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by fast68plymouth

For some reason, the “street” FT cams are still less $$$........ but still saw a noticeable increase.

New question - who regrinds roller camshafts?

I have a couple older Crane and Cam Dynamics rollers that have bad scuffed lobes.
All are .750” lift - was wondering if you may have the answer to this regrind question.
Posted By: STEFF

Re: Cam prices - 08/02/23 10:00 AM

The last Hydraulic Roller Gen 3 Hemi Cams I purchased recently were $598. But that is pretty typical. The last Tool Steel Custom Solid Roller I bought for my own Gen 3 Hemi in 2019 was $1285. Is what it is........
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: Cam prices - 08/02/23 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Transman

I have a couple older Crane and Cam Dynamics rollers that have bad scuffed lobes.
All are .750” lift - was wondering if you may have the answer to this regrind question.

I've had a few done at Bullet so far and am very happy with the results.

Re: Cam prices - 08/02/23 12:42 PM

Yep, it is what it is and that is why im setting my car up for street only driving. The 572 Hemi i just built will never see the track. Depends on how bad things get, might just sell the car. I am no longer willing to step up to the pay window on everything car related. Hell, if our crazy Government bands our cars then what?
Posted By: blowndart

Re: Cam prices - 08/02/23 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by HardcoreB
Originally Posted by Transman

I've had a few done at Bullet so far and am very happy with the results.

I had one reground by Crower earlier this year. So, they'll do them as well. Price was reasonable and the turn-around was not too bad.

Re: Cam prices - 08/02/23 03:03 PM

Someone just listed a few cams for sale! ON SALE too! whistling
Posted By: LA360

Re: Cam prices - 08/03/23 03:07 AM

The issue with regrinds, is the possibility of going through the heat treat. Fine if you are using a tool steel through hardened core, but I have seen a few failures of 8620 cores.
Posted By: moparacer

Re: Cam prices - 08/03/23 01:16 PM

I have had Midway performance (Predator cams) in Mt Carmel PA clean up or regrind several cams for me over the years.

Re: Cam prices - 08/03/23 02:07 PM

@Dwayne - Is this an option for non-LS cams now? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTyIQxrPCCI
Posted By: Scully

Re: Cam prices - 08/03/23 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by moparacer
I have had Midway performance (Predator cams) in Mt Carmel PA clean up or regrind several cams for me over the years.
Are they still open, I drive past there at night a couple of time a week, never been inside.

Re: Cam prices - 08/03/23 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Brad_Haak
@Dwayne - Is this an option for non-LS cams now? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTyIQxrPCCI

I’ll have to ask.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Cam prices - 08/04/23 02:56 PM

I’ll have to ask.

Also do they re heattreat?

Also can Comp nitride a custom I have that originally was not , hasn't been installed yet ?

Re: Cam prices - 08/04/23 03:06 PM

You can’t nitride a cam that’s already been parkerized, so..... no.

The cam cores are heat treated prior to putting the finish profile on them.

The heat treat is part of the manufacturing process of making the “semi-finished” core that most cams start out as.

Posted By: moparacer

Re: Cam prices - 08/04/23 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Scully
Originally Posted by moparacer
Are they still open, I drive past there at night a couple of time a week, never been inside.

They still have the ebay store up so I assume they are? I had them bush a block in the middle of the pandemic. 2020 or so.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Cam prices - 08/05/23 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by A727Tflite

Oregon Cam Grinding will take a roller cam and redo it. They have a big list of masters and they can usually get close to what you need.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Cam prices - 08/05/23 07:22 PM

I just received a custom solid roller from Kaase for the 521 project. Cost was $525. He sells solid roller lifters that are built to his specs for $575 so the cam was a little more expensive than usual, but the lifters were less expensive than I was expecting.

Re: Cam prices - 08/07/23 02:37 PM

The heat treat is part of the manufacturing process of making the “semi-finished” core that most cams start out as.

Thanks , I'll run it with Crower cam savers and hope for the best , the block is bushed so at least the geometry will not be suspect.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Cam prices - 08/07/23 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by JohnRR

Thanks , I'll run it with Crower cam savers and hope for the best , the block is bushed so at least the geometry will not be suspect.

Is it corrected and bushed or just bushed. Some shops can’t do the correction.

Re: Cam prices - 08/07/23 07:53 PM

The word is it can be done to any billet cam.
Posted By: volaredon

Re: Cam prices - 08/07/23 11:33 PM

Fark the LS motor.. I am so damn tired of hearing about it...
It isn't the end all/be all .
I'm tired of the "stick and LS in it" attitude (whatever"it"may be)
Even the Dakotas and Durango's I've seen stories about LS swaps. And a particular 75 dart...

Re: Cam prices - 08/08/23 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

I hope it was corrected fan I searched out a local shop with a Rottler because it was cheaper than shipping them to Florida to Dan/Performance_Only when he was still with us angel
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Cam prices - 08/08/23 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

I hope it was corrected fan I searched out a local shop with a Rottler because it was cheaper than shipping them to Florida to Dan/Performance_Only when he was still with us angel

I have the last Chevy sized K1 crank in my 408 in my duster right now. And the 4.5 Calias crank in my 572 that he got me too. I still have a new set of Diamond flat top 408 pistons on a shelf that he got for me. I miss talking to Dan.

Re: Cam prices - 08/09/23 12:42 PM

The word is it can be done to any billet cam.

Any idea what the uncharge is for this service? Not like I'm currently shopping for a cam, but that treatment looks like a good idea to me. Thx

Re: Cam prices - 08/09/23 01:57 PM

I would say about $125
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Cam prices - 08/09/23 07:03 PM

My tool steel custom ground solid roller 55MM Hemi nitrous cam was around $700.00 and less than 2 weeks to receive.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Cam prices - 08/09/23 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by 6PKRTSE
My tool steel custom ground solid roller 55MM Hemi nitrous cam was around $700.00 and less than 2 weeks to receive.

just curious who that was from and how long ago?

Re: Cam prices - 08/10/23 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Al_Alguire

The one guy I know locally who switched his program over to tool steel about 5 years ago WAS paying $1200 and they seem to get some deals in my experience. I'd think that's a more realistic current cost if not more.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Cam prices - 08/10/23 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Al_Alguire

However, luckily I am better then W.D. with most suppliers buying direct on everything so that helps on everything that I purchase.
Posted By: plycuda

Re: Cam prices - 08/10/23 09:57 PM

Every company i called had no cores except for isky. they had 3 but were only good to 700 lift with 1.6 rockers. that cost me 600 in 4 weeks
© 2024 Moparts Forums