Moparts

1350 u-joint ?

Posted By: moparx

1350 u-joint ? - 07/18/23 07:45 PM

i need a new driveshaft made for my charger because the joint "ear hole" on the front of the shaft [the shaft has the damper ring on the front if that matters] has become slightly egg shaped, allowing play in the shaft between the joint cup and the front ear hole of the shaft.
with that said, what i would like to do is get a shaft made with a forged yoke for the 727, and use 1350 joints on both ends of the shaft.
with that said, however, is there a 1350/7290 [or 7260] conversion joint made ?
the reason for asking is, i am keeping the 8 3/4 rear the car came with, and i have several sets of 3.91 gears, all in 742 or 741 cases, having the 7260 joint size on them.
i have a good 7290 pinion yoke i can swap [just remove the 7260 joint, replace seal, install 7290 yolk, torque down with a new nut and done ?] so i figured i would do that, but have a nice 1350 joint shaft, if and whenever i decided to purchase a 1350 pinion yolk.
please show me where i am screwing up, but remember, the 8 3/4 will be staying. TIA ! bow
beer
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 1350 u-joint ? - 07/18/23 11:35 PM

Call NAPA or Mark Williams and ask them, if their available they can sell it to you scope twocents
I have used several different adapter U joints, 7260 to 7290 and maybe 7290 to 1350 but that was a long time ago and my memory ain't that good blush
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: 1350 u-joint ? - 07/19/23 07:53 AM

Dr. Diff lists them. https://www.doctordiff.com/1350-to-7290-conversion-u-joint.html

He also lists 1350 yoke for the 8-3/4 rear axles. https://www.doctordiff.com/1350-u-bolt-pinion-yoke-package.html
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: 1350 u-joint ? - 07/19/23 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by SNK-EYZ

iagree I had a 7290 to 1350 conversion joint under my road runner for a while. Got it from Dr. Diff.
Posted By: GY3

Re: 1350 u-joint ? - 07/19/23 01:44 PM

If you need a driveshaft made, Dr. Diff or Summit can get you a Strange unit in short order. Summit is a bit cheaper.

Re: 1350 u-joint ? - 07/19/23 04:40 PM

i was thinking of having the good doctor make up a shaft for me.
however, i was really wanting solid [non-greasable] joints. i know a 1350 joint is available that way, but i wonder if a conversion joint is ?
as to the pinion yolk[s], mine are the 10 spline variety.
i know the google may be able to help me, but i was wondering about other's experience doing what i want to do [if any].
beer
Posted By: CSK

Re: 1350 u-joint ? - 07/19/23 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by moparx
i need a new driveshaft made for my charger because the joint "ear hole" on the front of the shaft [the shaft has the damper ring on the front if that matters] has become slightly egg shaped, allowing play in the shaft between the joint cup and the front ear hole of the shaft.
with that said, what i would like to do is get a shaft made with a forged yoke for the 727, and use 1350 joints on both ends of the shaft.
with that said, however, is there a 1350/7290 [or 7260] conversion joint made ?
the reason for asking is, i am keeping the 8 3/4 rear the car came with, and i have several sets of 3.91 gears, all in 742 or 741 cases, having the 7260 joint size on them.
i have a good 7290 pinion yoke i can swap [just remove the 7260 joint, replace seal, install 7290 yolk, torque down with a new nut and done ?] so i figured i would do that, but have a nice 1350 joint shaft, if and whenever i decided to purchase a 1350 pinion yolk.
please show me where i am screwing up, but remember, the 8 3/4 will be staying. TIA ! bow
beer

On the drive shaft PLEASE get one made by Mark Williams, its a long story & A LOT of wasted money on my Charger, MW for the win !!!!!

Re: 1350 u-joint ? - 07/19/23 05:27 PM

hmmmm.............
i know it's none of my business, but would it be possible to pm me with the story ?
as you know what i have to deal with, my funds are only few and far between to attempt to get my junk back on the road, so i have to be judicious with my spending in order to be able to afford other costs in my life that are way more important.
beer
Posted By: mopar873

Re: 1350 u-joint ? - 07/19/23 06:40 PM

I've heard that ALOT regarding M/W as the right place to go first. Not to side track, but is Denny's still competitive in this market as far as quality/price? I have to get one cut soon for a Brand X high 8 sec NA car.
Posted By: CSK

Re: 1350 u-joint ? - 07/19/23 07:07 PM

hmmmm.............
i know it's none of my business, but would it be possible to pm me with the story ?
as you know what i have to deal with, my funds are only few and far between to attempt to get my junk back on the road, so i have to be judicious with my spending in order to be able to afford other costs in my life that are way more important.
beer

as you know I have an a518 [46rh] OD trans, lots of potential drive line angle issues, so I had a Alum shaft made here in houston by a well known company, $750, FOUGHT & FOUGHT a drive line vibration, ie EVERYTHING possible LOL, pinion angle,trans angle ect, I gave up, blew up my 8 3/4 & had to get them to shorten the drive shaft $150, now the vibration was WORSE, took it back to them three times for a rebalance ,,, NO change, in desperation I ordered a Strange steel custom shaft $450 & it changed the vibration considerably but at high speeds it came back, I called Strange & asked them what RPM they spin the shaft for balancing, they said, 500 rpm was the fastest they spin them, so I did the old chalk marker test on the shaft on jack stands at 60 mph, the chalk marks were at the same spot as the welded on weights, so I cut them off & ended up adding weight almost opposite of where they had them, the vibration was ALMOST gone but at 120mph it was still pretty bad, so, I called Mark Williams & asked them what RPM they can spin the shaft, They said as fast as you want, so I had them build me a new shaft $650 with their better yoke, the car is SMOOTH as GLASS !!!!!! another one of my expensive lessons learned the hard way smile & yes I have the large u joint 1350
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: 1350 u-joint ? - 07/20/23 01:28 PM

Makes me happy that my local truck service shop built steel driveshaft has held up for so long running 8s at 3800 lbs. punkrocka
Posted By: usp4u

Re: 1350 u-joint ? - 07/20/23 04:01 PM

All the local parts stores around me stock the conversion u-joint. It shouldnt be hard to find.

As far as a shaft, my last two aluminum shafts have come from Action Machine in South Bend, IN and are awesome. Usually have them at my door in 10 days.

Re: 1350 u-joint ? - 07/20/23 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by CSK
hmmmm.............
beer

as you know I have an a518 [46rh] OD trans, lots of potential drive line angle issues, so I had a Alum shaft made here in houston by a well known company, $750, FOUGHT & FOUGHT a drive line vibration, ie EVERYTHING possible LOL, pinion angle,trans angle ect, I gave up, blew up my 8 3/4 & had to get them to shorten the drive shaft $150, now the vibration was WORSE, took it back to them three times for a rebalance ,,, NO change, in desperation I ordered a Strange steel custom shaft $450 & it changed the vibration considerably but at high speeds it came back, I called Strange & asked them what RPM they spin the shaft for balancing, they said, 500 rpm was the fastest they spin them, so I did the old chalk marker test on the shaft on jack stands at 60 mph, the chalk marks were at the same spot as the welded on weights, so I cut them off & ended up adding weight almost opposite of where they had them, the vibration was ALMOST gone but at 120mph it was still pretty bad, so, I called Mark Williams & asked them what RPM they can spin the shaft, They said as fast as you want, so I had them build me a new shaft $650 with their better yoke, the car is SMOOTH as GLASS !!!!!! another one of my expensive lessons learned the hard way smile & yes I have the large u joint 1350

i kind of thought that was the story. i have always believed in high speed balancing, and truck driveshaft places do not do that because the truck driveline does not see the shaft speed a car does because of the huge difference in tire size.
beer
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: 1350 u-joint ? - 07/21/23 04:57 PM

Look up what Spicer has to offer in solid conversion u-joints. I have some 7260/1310 solid conversion joints in some applications and have used their "regular" solid joints over the years as well. Never a problem and are the best in the business IMHO.
© 2024 Moparts Forums