Moparts

Finally all back together and out to the track!

Posted By: dizuster

Finally all back together and out to the track! - 06/29/23 01:57 AM

Well after a lot of waiting for the machine shop, waiting for parts, and a LOT of long hours.... Finally got my '62 back together.

After an honest mistake of swaping the in/out oil lines on the oil filter adapter, HardcoreB spent COUNTLESS hours making it right and getting the motor all back together.

I picked the motor up at 1am on Wednesday. DVW and I worked all day on it Thursday and Finally got it loaded and ready about midnight. Up at 6:30am to make the 4+hr trek to National Trail in Columbus.

Attached picture 20230622_010628.jpg
Attached picture 20230622_223503.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20230628_214403.jpg

Re: Finally all back together and out to the track! - 06/29/23 02:08 AM

Unfortunately we got rained out Friday, but spent the night at the track ready to race Saturday.

I was very happy with how the car ended up running. With the timing guessed at 34 degree's no jet changes, shift light set to 6700... there was no time to test, only time to race!

After going out in Round 3 of the primary race on a 0.005 breakout ...DVW (my Dad) and I were both lucky enough to be chosen (at random) for the Ricky Newmeyer memorial race. We both made it to semi finals and for the first time ever had to race each other!

We were in the lanes and someone asked my daughter if she was betting, who her money was on. She looked at me and just said, "Sorry Dad." lol We had a good chuckle.

Unfortunately my car spun the tires badly from a poor burnout (man am I rusty driving this thing!), lost more then 2 tenths in 60ft and it wasn't much of a race.

DVW went on to win the race though, which was absolutely great.

As for performance? Well I was pretty happy. Sunday morning with the DA at 3500ft and the HP correction at 1.09, the car ran a nice 9.97@133mph (1.38 60ft). Considering the weather, and the fact that we had 175lbs extra in the car trying to slow down to 10.0 index would say she's got a lot left in her!!!

Overall a great race weekend, and first full outing for the combo. Had a ton of fun with the NSS guys, and felt good to get some round wins the first weekend out.

Attached picture IMG_20230628_214326.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20230628_214334.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20230628_214322.jpg

Re: Finally all back together and out to the track! - 06/29/23 02:11 AM

Lastly I was really proud of my 13 year old daughter. This was her first long weekend trip with Dad and Papa to the track. It was a hot one, full of delays, and she was an absolute champ. She took lots of great pictures (these are all her pics I've posted).

Best of all while me and DVW were putting the motor in the car, she did a HAND DRAWING profile of my car, and her and my Mom turned it into T-shirts for us. VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!!

Attached picture 20230622_193216.jpg
Attached picture 20230622_193219.jpg

Re: Finally all back together and out to the track! - 06/29/23 02:15 AM

Couple more pics she took of the weekend...

Attached picture IMG_20230628_214336.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20230628_214343.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20230628_214347.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20230628_214328.jpg
Posted By: bobby66

Re: Finally all back together and out to the track! - 06/29/23 02:21 AM

Sweet! up
Posted By: max_maniac

Re: Finally all back together and out to the track! - 06/29/23 03:16 AM

Great to see you at the track again and the car is running great!!! Your daughter has some talent for drawing and taking pics.
Posted By: 71Demon528

Re: Finally all back together and out to the track! - 06/29/23 11:44 AM

My wife absolutely loves your car and I certainly enjoyed watching it too. Her and I came up to watch you and your dad on Sunday during the qualifier. She got videos of you both. I’ll get her to send them to me and then post them on here.
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: Finally all back together and out to the track! - 06/29/23 12:17 PM

Thanks for the props. I had a long last week but many people worked hard to get this going and it was nice to hear about the weekend and the family enjoying it all. Excited to see what it will do ultimately after some tuning and weight loss.
Posted By: 67mprfan

Re: Finally all back together and out to the track! - 06/29/23 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by dizuster
Unf

...DVW (my Dad) and I were both lucky enough to be chosen (at random) for the Ricky Newmeyer memorial race. We both made it to semi finals and for the first time ever had to race each

Glad you got the car going again, great outing to

I know Rick is smiling on you guys for honoring him
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: Finally all back together and out to the track! - 06/29/23 03:45 PM

THAT front motor plate still has me jealous ! ! grin

congrats on getting it turned around so quickly up

Is it running to where you expected now??

Re: Finally all back together and out to the track! - 06/29/23 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by n20mstr
THAT front motor plate still has me jealous ! ! grin

congrats on getting it turned around so quickly up

Is it running to where you expected now??

Scott definitely made the call on motorplate color but, it's been growing on me. In context it's not too far off; the air was pretty bad, it's heavier without weight than we thought 3575+175 worst. It didn't have a carb pan for the scoop and i'd think that's worth a good bit. Plus no carb tuning or spark tuning (spark is prob close?) or shift sweeps etc I didn't go with them mainly because i have many things to try to balance but, I'm sure they'll eeek more out of it. Incidently, I have to mention that I LOVE the artwork!!!
Posted By: GY3

Re: Finally all back together and out to the track! - 06/29/23 05:26 PM

Very cool!

Great results considering no time for tuning!
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Finally all back together and out to the track! - 06/29/23 05:43 PM

Love the shirt!! Congrats on getting it there and racing. Now you have time to work on it and see whats there.
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: Finally all back together and out to the track! - 06/29/23 07:02 PM

Great success! Love your '62, it looks killer, and I dig the painted engine plate. Glad you got it turned around quickly and were able to get it to the race last weekend after the mad thrash!

The shirt is really awesome too!

Edit: how much do you think sealing the carbs to the hood will be worth? Is that typically a tenth or so?
Posted By: dvw

Re: Finally all back together and out to the track! - 06/29/23 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Blusmbl

Edit: how much do you think sealing the carbs to the hood will be worth? Is that typically a tenth or so?

I ran mine back to back to back again mine once a few years ago. It was about .05 and 2 1/2 mph. The air was good that day. So the gain in hot weather may be different.
Doug
Posted By: tex013

Re: Finally all back together and out to the track! - 06/29/23 09:45 PM

wow great numbers first time out

Tex
Posted By: mkdart

Re: Finally all back together and out to the track! - 06/30/23 02:17 AM

This was a really cool post!!!
Posted By: Kiddart

Re: Finally all back together and out to the track! - 06/30/23 02:24 AM

awesome job and congrats to you both!!
Posted By: Dartin

Re: Finally all back together and out to the track! - 07/01/23 11:03 AM

Congratulations on going rounds! Your daughter sure took some great pictures and the shirt is awesome!

Randy
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Finally all back together and out to the track! - 07/02/23 05:53 PM

Great post and great pics. Congrats on getting it back out again!
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Finally all back together and out to the track! - 07/03/23 02:58 AM

Grear ride you have taken us on. One T&T and it will be dialed in! beer
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Finally all back together and out to the track! - 07/03/23 01:34 PM

Very nice! That's awesome you got to race your dad!

Re: Finally all back together and out to the track! - 07/04/23 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda
That was a highlight for me to hear from them. I'm thinking next time Scott will put him on the trailer?
Posted By: dvw

Re: Finally all back together and out to the track! - 07/05/23 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by HardcoreB
That was a highlight for me to hear from them. I'm thinking next time Scott will put him on the trailer?

He's going to have to work for it.
Doug
Posted By: EvilB1Dart

Re: Finally all back together and out to the track! - 07/05/23 03:00 AM

Damn cool story! Glad its coming together. Another cool hotrod too!
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Finally all back together and out to the track! - 07/05/23 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by dvw

Doug

laugh LOL, that's great! That's what I'd expect to hear from my dad too!
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Finally all back together and out to the track! - 07/05/23 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by dvw

Doug

My youngest grandson made a comment to me when he first started plying Chess with me as a young teenager I had won all the games, less than 10,, when he said "your not going to let me win are you". I told him hell no, you're going to have to get better to beat me, me letting you win doesn't help you become better on your skills does it work
He did end up beating me several years later and he hasn't asked me to play him since bow grin
© 2024 Moparts Forums