Moparts

The end of an era...

Posted By: tboomer

The end of an era... - 06/07/23 01:49 PM

I backed my 64 Dodge out of the garage a couple of days ago for the last time. I drove it onto a trailer that was heading to Minnesota. It was a pretty sad day for me. I bought that car as a roller in Sept of 1999. I think my first pass was in 2000 and it ran mid twelves..As time went on the 446" motor got tired and Jimmy R built the bad azz 512 for it! I have spent thousands of dollars on that car and hated to see it go. My wife and I talked about it and decided it was time for a new chapter in our retirement years. A nice street Mopar isn't out of the question if we see something we like. I may run our 2014 Challenger at the Mopar Max races and show this weekend at Cedar Falls. I would like to thank everyone for the help and advice over the years...Jeff..Steve..Jimmy...Kevin..Weedy...Leigh..and a bunch of other folk on the board here! Ted wave
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: The end of an era... - 06/07/23 01:54 PM

I'm sure it's tough, but now you can get something you'll enjoy and use more! up
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: The end of an era... - 06/07/23 02:00 PM

Wow! You and Satilite73 are both moving on along with many others.

And I am not far behind you guys.
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: The end of an era... - 06/07/23 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by tboomer
My wife and I talked about it and decided it was time for a new chapter in our retirement years. A nice street Mopar isn't out of the question if we see something we like.

Selling the car you had that long is tough. But looking ahead at a possible classic Mopar street car is a good idea.
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: The end of an era... - 06/07/23 02:08 PM

How far into Minnesota did it go Ted? Anyone I might know? Is the new owner going to race it? Go back to a Street car?
Posted By: DusterKid

Re: The end of an era... - 06/07/23 02:11 PM

I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision. Now you can get something that you'll get more use and enjoyment out of.
Posted By: blue_stocker

Re: The end of an era... - 06/07/23 02:28 PM

Sorry you're going through that set of emotions, Ted. I, on the other hand, AM overjoyed to watch mine heading to it's new home...on with life!

Re: The end of an era... - 06/07/23 02:58 PM

Thanks guys! Yes...It was a tough decision! Jeff...You have a pm... wave
Posted By: topside

Re: The end of an era... - 06/07/23 04:12 PM

Went through that a while back with my Duster - drove it into the buyer's trailer for its last music in my hands.
And damn, it sounded good.
But it went to a great guy who appreciates it and its history, he loves the car, and calls me from time to time to update me on races.

I'm not done yet, but the next car will be less intense (translation: slower laugh2), after I've completed moving.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: The end of an era... - 06/07/23 04:25 PM

Well Ted I know you have been kicking this around for several years so you didn’t jump right into it. Sorry to see you sell it but now you are free to make your next move. It’s not like you have to give up the sport. Take care buddy.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: The end of an era... - 06/07/23 04:50 PM

Glad to hear it is going to a good home. In the end they are just things and the memories made with them is what matters and we take with us.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: The end of an era... - 06/07/23 06:29 PM

Ted, I hope you enjoy your Challenger. I've seriously considered selling my Dart. The only thing holding me back is knowing I'll have to weed out the tire kickers to find someone who can and will buy it.
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: The end of an era... - 06/07/23 09:33 PM

It's sad to see it go and that part of your life ends but I think in the end you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of a street cruiser.

Now you just have to find the right street car that makes you happy when you drive it. up

Re: The end of an era... - 06/07/23 11:15 PM

Thanks everyone! Yeah...If the right street car comes along at a good price I will be on it. And Al is right...you always have your memories.. wave
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: The end of an era... - 06/08/23 12:48 AM

I’ll remember the people more than the car when the time comes
Posted By: old_racer

Re: The end of an era... - 06/08/23 02:11 AM

sorry to hear that Ted hope the next chapter is a good one !!!
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: The end of an era... - 06/08/23 04:33 AM

Congratulations on the sale Ted and good luck with the next chapter. beer
Posted By: dart games

Re: The end of an era... - 06/08/23 09:19 AM

get a street car and dont look back.street car you car go to car shows,cruises and take out at any given day or hour or minite and enjoy.instead of just 1 day a week or every so often with a drag car and dont have to trailer it.i brought a drag car to get that one last feel.but its giving mke so much trouble3 and will never get to race it and its up for sale.i have 3 street cars to enjoy and a trike/my drag car is for sale
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: The end of an era... - 06/08/23 05:04 PM

Good luck with the next step, whatever that may be
Posted By: bigdad

Re: The end of an era... - 06/08/23 05:47 PM

QUITTER
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: The end of an era... - 06/08/23 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by bigdad
QUITTER

Ted hung on plenty long after not being able to race the car for health reasons. It's been many years since his last pass. I can't blame him for finally selling the car, to move on to other things. What good is it, if you can't use it?
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: The end of an era... - 06/08/23 06:27 PM

Now is about as good or better than any time to sell things so, the timing was right. It wasn't bringing you any enjoyment so GOOD FOR YOU that you came to terms and are moving on...Enjoy yourself!
Posted By: moparx

Re: The end of an era... - 06/08/23 07:05 PM

it's always been said : "things happen for a reason..........."
i'm sure that whatever happens will be right for you. up
beer

Re: The end of an era... - 06/08/23 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by JERICOGTX
QUITTER

Ted hung on plenty long after not being able to race the car for health reasons. It's been many years since his last pass. I can't blame him for finally selling the car, to move on to other things. What good is it, if you can't use it?

It is a joke .. don't be so stuffy

Re: The end of an era... - 06/08/23 07:28 PM

Thanks everyone! Bigdad....Jeff is right. It just occurred to me that ten years ago this month,I had the first of 3 neurosurgery procedures followed by a radiation treatment. Most would have quit back then. Yet I did not give up hope that I could drive again and continued to buy bits and pieces for my car. I bought new belts every two years and wished I could drive again. The last set in the car had an expiration date of Dec.2022 and had what...6-8 passes on them? All by Jeff. A few months ago I developed Type II diabetes which runs in my family. I am the oldest and the last one to get it. It is under control and I lost 20#. I may drive my 2014 Challenger in Street class this weekend at Cedar Falls. Quitter?? I think not...I am actively looking for a classic Mopar to fill the empty space in my garage and my heart. I hope you never find your way in my position. wave

Re: The end of an era... - 06/08/23 07:40 PM

it was a joke !
Posted By: EvilB1Dart

Re: The end of an era... - 06/09/23 03:28 AM

Must’ve been tough, Ted. Memories are what’s important.

Me? Love ‘em & leave ‘em…….they’re just nuts n bolts. Zero attachment.
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: The end of an era... - 06/09/23 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by EvilB1Dart

That's the way I am, there's always something new that can make me happy.
The wife on the other hand can't part with any car, she has emotional attachments to them. laugh2
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: The end of an era... - 06/09/23 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by EvilB1Dart

iagree up A ,man needs new entertainment now and then and there is no other fun like we can have in a fast car boogie devil
Posted By: cgall

Re: The end of an era... - 06/10/23 02:05 PM

Just sold my Duster that I've been racing for 29 years. Last summer I noticed that I didn't have the stamina to go all day in the sun at the track any more. Went to doctor and found out I am fighting cancer for the second time. We all must be ready for the next round of our lives, which may not include the hobbies that we love.
Posted By: VL21

Re: The end of an era... - 06/10/23 02:16 PM

QUITTER

I got it ... many don't, jokes and sarcasm don't translate well in print, as I have found out many times!

Lots of times even face to face, if you are around people who get it and give it, you are among friends!
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: The end of an era... - 06/10/23 02:35 PM

Good luck in whatever makes you happy . We all get attached and hate to see them go , but like Al said , the memories are forever yours , and if it went to a good home there will be plenty more good times to come and be made !

Re: The end of an era... - 06/11/23 02:29 PM

We went to the Mopar Max show yesterday. Lots of friends there and Yes...You can't take away the memories! I was surprised at the amount of people that knew I had sold the 64! Saw a few Mopars for sale but nothing I had any interest in. If something comes along I will get another Mopar! Just no big hurry at this time. wave
Posted By: Leigh

Re: The end of an era... - 06/12/23 02:32 PM

I understand the attachment and the frustration of seeing it sit. It’s great to see you’re thinking about another car. You can bracket race anything! Good luck!
Posted By: cgall

Re: The end of an era... - 06/13/23 06:22 PM

I would hate to see my car sit in the garage and gather dust. Better to see it at the track where it belongs.

Re: The end of an era... - 06/13/23 11:12 PM

Thanks guys! wave
Posted By: Ody1003

Re: The end of an era... - 06/15/23 05:50 PM

Yes sir i know how you feel. As of this year i have owned my baby 51 years. 64 Plymouth Fury. Went to two high school proms in it,Jr./Senior with my wife. Got the pics to prove it.Wow, crushed valor was a thing back then. Started as 16.0/90mph to 9.00/150mph best. 318 poly 2bbl to 540 wedge. Same car/same look. I 'ill keep racing it till I can't get in and out of it. Both kids daughter and son race. Her in dragster son in Duster. They will get it when I take a dirt nap. Its not going anywhere. I hug my racecar every day. One big thing is a wife that tolerates this racing s**t loves it. (helps that we got two racing brats all there lives that do it) Good way to keep your kids out of trouble too! (damn gets a little expensive sometimes LOL) That's all I got to say about this.
Posted By: blue_stocker

Re: The end of an era... - 06/15/23 07:15 PM

51! Oh baby, that's a serious love affair with that one! I've had mine 39+ and think about it...I guess I just don't love mine?! It's always good to hear folks talk about how long they've had their cars and how they've evolved...some from wrecks, some from decent rides. GOOD FOR Y'ALL, and like the man said...until the dirt nap!!
Posted By: moparx

Re: The end of an era... - 06/16/23 06:13 PM

i've had my charger since 1970, and it was a "total" when i bought it for $500.00.
i was working at a body shop then, and it was rebuilt there with a BUNCH of help from the other guys that worked there.
it was finished up around late 1971 or early 1972, and the beating began. biggrin
beer
Posted By: StrokerPost

Re: The end of an era... - 06/21/23 05:28 AM

Hey Ted, been a minute, saw this and had to drop you a line. I know very well that feeling of letting go of a trusted old friend, when I sold my Dart at first I was numb but honestly I have never regretted it, my local race buddies were stunned that I would actually do it, but no regrets. I wish you and the wife my very best as you go forward! wave
Take care buddy,
Ken

Hey can you post a favorite, recent pic of your car?
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: The end of an era... - 06/21/23 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by n20mstr
Good luck in whatever makes you happy . We all get attached and hate to see them go , but like Al said , the memories are forever yours , and if it went to a good home there will be plenty more good times to come and be made !

x2. Glad it went to a good home, and even with the car gone now you'll always have the memories!

Re: The end of an era... - 06/21/23 07:46 PM

Ken! How ya been after all of these years!! wave I don't have anything recent of the car.. There's some pics floating around here..I will see if I can find Jeff's thread. He wrote a good one a couple of years ago. I do have a lot of good memories of my car! And as I mentioned...I am actively looking for a street car that I can make a few passes in at the track. I do prefer a Mopar but I am also open to other brands.... whistling

Re: The end of an era... - 06/21/23 08:51 PM

I got a Camaro you can drive anywhere and still go fastish in smile
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: The end of an era... - 06/21/23 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Al_Alguire

A what????????

Re: The end of an era... - 06/21/23 10:47 PM

I have seen the quality of your cars Al! I'm not spending more than what my house is worth on a car! You have some bad azz machines! wave
Posted By: StrokerPost

Re: The end of an era... - 06/22/23 02:20 AM

Ken! How ya been after all of these years!!

I'm good Ted, thx, I dont say much here, mostly truck and occasionally general forums but I look in fairly often to see who's doing what. Good luck finding a good street car to play with thumbs

Re: The end of an era... - 06/22/23 04:35 PM

I have seen the quality of your cars Al! I'm not spending more than what my house is worth on a car! You have some bad azz machines! wave

The good news is I have never really done the car justice. Mechanically it is done well. But the paint and body have a 23 year old Maaco paint job on it. Its still look ok but not great. I have been buying up all the parts and pieces to redo the paint and body but just never seem to get around to it. Pump gas 540" BB with a TH400 and gear vendors. We used to drive it to the track runs 9's and drive home. Its now a 10 second car but can still drive it anywhere on CHEAP pump swill. Only 9-1 compression. Also has AC but the evap was leaking and removed. Oh yeah a 68 it is.

Re: The end of an era... - 06/22/23 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

A what????????

68 to be exact.
Posted By: migsBIG

Re: The end of an era... - 06/23/23 04:08 PM

Remember the fun you had with the car and the people associated with it. That will last a lifetime. A fun street car for cruise night would be easier to maintain than a race car and ou and the lady can have fun together.

Re: The end of an era... - 07/01/23 08:22 PM

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/771604001331496

Re: The end of an era... - 07/01/23 09:07 PM

Go figure.... bawling
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: The end of an era... - 07/01/23 10:13 PM

Hopefully it ends up with someone who will give it some regular use.
© 2024 Moparts Forums