Moparts

One way screen for windage tray

Posted By: clovis

One way screen for windage tray - 01/27/23 08:23 PM

I see where you can buy the screen from Summit or Jeg's for $65 but was curious if there was an Amazon option someone has used with success. Does it have to be one way?

https://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/2...X6Mno_AIV5xbUAR0XxgS9EAQYAiABEgKQ8_D_BwE
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: One way screen for windage tray - 01/27/23 10:18 PM

if there was an Amazon option someone has used with success
Not that I know of

if there was an Amazon option someone has used with success. Does it have to be one way?
Yes
Posted By: AndyF

Re: One way screen for windage tray - 01/27/23 11:24 PM

You can buy punched screen from multiple sources. I used to buy it from a steel supplier when I built my own pans.
Posted By: gearhead01

Re: One way screen for windage tray - 01/28/23 01:58 AM

McMichols has the biggest selection and types of perforated metal and screens that I know of.

https://www.mcnichols.com/perforated-metal

And there is always McMaster Carr

https://www.mcmaster.com/perforated-metal/

John
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: One way screen for windage tray - 01/28/23 04:34 AM

Expanded metal and perforated metal are not the same thing.

Lots of options on the internet. Thickness, holesize, flattened or raised,cut size. Do you know these things if you are trying to match the Moroso stuff? Prices I see at McMaster and other places would make me just get the Moroso stuff if you just need it for one pan.

Otherwise, I would still want to have a piece of the correct stuff to measure, so I know exactly what I'm looking for.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: One way screen for windage tray - 01/28/23 08:48 PM

The one-way effect is to permit oil in the screen to drain (almost) normally, but frustrate oil flung up by the crank from passing through the wrong way.
A hole formed with a punch makes a funnel shape with concave sides, the lip protrudes underneath.
Posted By: clovis

Re: One way screen for windage tray - 01/28/23 11:27 PM

Looking to do something like what is pictured. What is pictured looks more like a woven mesh that punched. Just didn’t know if there was a size of mesh that allowed dropped oil through easily but resisted oil being sucked up from the crank.

Attached picture EDDF131C-BF63-4278-9FFD-711008BAC3CC.jpeg
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: One way screen for windage tray - 01/29/23 04:34 AM

The raised expanded metal screen is directional. It has many little scrapers edges with drain holes. Not effective if installed wrong.
Posted By: dvw

Re: One way screen for windage tray - 01/29/23 12:28 PM

If you look at the real stripper screen its obvious. Hold it level and look at the holes. In one direction you can see thru it. Rotate it the other direction and you can't. The holes are punched at an angle. It's also a good idea to wrap it around a pice of tig rod on the ends for stiffness. It's not super strong. also make sure the washers fastening it are smooth with no sharp edges. It can crack.
Doug
© 2024 Moparts Forums