Drag-N-Drive Duster Gets a Billet Hemi

Posted By: Dragula

Drag-N-Drive Duster Gets a Billet Hemi - 01/18/23 01:33 AM

Watch the build of the Noonan Hemi....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnGA2rg7yoc

Re: Drag-N-Drive Duster Gets a Billet Hemi - 01/18/23 12:31 PM

You guys sure are a lively bunch....

Most advanced G2 Hemi out there, and crickets......
Posted By: GY3

Re: Drag-N-Drive Duster Gets a Billet Hemi - 01/18/23 01:57 PM

It's a neat build for sure but probably costs as much as most people pay for their first house!

Re: Drag-N-Drive Duster Gets a Billet Hemi - 01/18/23 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by GY3
It's a neat build for sure but probably costs as much as most people pay for their first house!

Yes it does at about $80k depending on options.....But what I find interesting, is that it is very similar to the original, just tweaked here and there for the crazy performance they are expecting. The're 4.9 BS platform is a much bigger departure from the original G2 design than this version is.

All I know is, I want one....

Re: Drag-N-Drive Duster Gets a Billet Hemi - 01/18/23 02:20 PM

It will be interesting to see how it performs on the Drag and Drive events.

I only made it halfway through the video last night. Did he show the Duster it was going in?
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Drag-N-Drive Duster Gets a Billet Hemi - 01/18/23 02:58 PM

That's nice and all, but I'd rather watch someone do drag week w/ something they built themselves that didn't cost a fortune.

GY3...no they didn't show the Duster.

Re: Drag-N-Drive Duster Gets a Billet Hemi - 01/18/23 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by GY3
It will be interesting to see how it performs on the Drag and Drive events.

I only made it halfway through the video last night. Did he show the Duster it was going in?

The turbo engines seem to do really well at those events....Blower cars seem to be fewer and farther between...
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Drag-N-Drive Duster Gets a Billet Hemi - 01/18/23 03:23 PM

The turbo cars are so much easier on parts it seems. Not to mention they seem to be pleasant to drive. I have been passed by many a turbo car going 70-80MPH just thumping quietly down the highway as I spin 3500RPM at 63MPH lol. Some of these cars are so tame the only thing that gives them away is parachutes and funny car cages. That's the only thing that can answer if it runs 10s or 7s lol.

I think the blowers get unpleasant to drive at some point. One particular car I can think of is an 83 Capri, its an awesome stick shift coyote powered car with a procharger or vortech on it. Even driving through the pits the bypass on the blower is flowing so much air that its all you hear. I can't imagine what its like on the road, even though I know he stuffs a filter or something on the bypass to quiet it down. Plenty of roots blown cars have finished but nothing that runs crazy fast ET that I can recall. People have shown up with screw blowers but I can't recall any finishing.
Posted By: INTMD8

Re: Drag-N-Drive Duster Gets a Billet Hemi - 01/18/23 03:29 PM

I'm sure it's awesome, I just find forums or readable info way more pallatable than hour long youtube videos.

(I don't really watch anything long on youtube)

smile

Re: Drag-N-Drive Duster Gets a Billet Hemi - 01/18/23 04:23 PM

I also have a very short attention span. But I have been trying to make one of my Hemis go fast for over 20 years and anything I can learn is a plus. And those Noonan ones are top dog in my book. Steve is detailed enough in his vids that it holds my attention. My engine builder also goes thru an engine like Steve does when somthing looks wrong. .
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Drag-N-Drive Duster Gets a Billet Hemi - 01/18/23 04:56 PM

Been watching SM for years. Stand up guy.

Re: Drag-N-Drive Duster Gets a Billet Hemi - 01/18/23 05:07 PM

I like the part where he held up the main cap with a spun bearing and said its the worst one he has ever seen....I broke a Hemi main cap in half on one of my Hemis when I spun a bearing...
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Drag-N-Drive Duster Gets a Billet Hemi - 01/18/23 07:03 PM

Awesome build. We have several BAE billet Hemi's in house currently for off season rebuilds as well.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Drag-N-Drive Duster Gets a Billet Hemi - 01/18/23 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dragula
I like the part where he held up the main cap with a spun bearing and said its the worst one he has ever seen....I broke a Hemi main cap in half on one of my Hemis when I spun a bearing...

I wonder if the main cap broke first, then the bearing spun?
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Drag-N-Drive Duster Gets a Billet Hemi - 01/18/23 10:09 PM

Watch the build of the Noonan Hemi....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnGA2rg7yoc

I haven't had a chance to watch this one yet. I've wondered if he built a Hemi , with his SMX at 125k I think it was I can't imagine this is much cheaper?
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: Drag-N-Drive Duster Gets a Billet Hemi - 01/18/23 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bad340fish
The turbo cars are so much easier on parts it seems.

They are definitely the easiest on parts. Softer on the drivetrain, least load on the bottom end. 1000 hp turbo vs. 1000 hp n/a and the turbo engine will last much longer. Same thing compared to a blower combo. Turbos aren't free (you lose some VE with the backpressure of a turbo combination) but it's peanuts in comparison to the power required to drive a blower, and the cylinder pressure on a turbo is showing up at a more reasonable spot in the cycle. Something like a common 2.3L TVS or Whipple is 150 hp of power consumption at redline, so to make 700 with a combo like that, the engine is seeing 850 hp worth of load in the cylinders.
Posted By: Dart 500

Re: Drag-N-Drive Duster Gets a Billet Hemi - 01/21/23 05:23 AM

Duster will have one of these bodies, a 5 sec contender I assume...

[Linked Image]

Re: Drag-N-Drive Duster Gets a Billet Hemi - 01/23/23 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dart 500

[Linked Image]

They're going to put that on the road?
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Drag-N-Drive Duster Gets a Billet Hemi - 01/24/23 02:30 PM

Not much different from the other megabuck pro mod stuff that's already done drag week before.

Re: Drag-N-Drive Duster Gets a Billet Hemi - 01/24/23 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dart 500

[Linked Image]

They're going to put that on the road?

Looks similar to Tom Bailey's "Camaro". shruggy
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Drag-N-Drive Duster Gets a Billet Hemi - 01/24/23 03:35 PM

No reason why not to do that, the rest of the car needs to be on par with the engine. .

Unfortunately to operate at that level means a build that many people, including myself really can't relate to.

I am the wrong audience for it.

Now, a car like Freiburger's or Moparrob68's (both the Hemi Coronets) has my full attention!

Posted By: LA360

Re: Drag-N-Drive Duster Gets a Billet Hemi - 01/25/23 03:04 AM

The Noonan Hemi stuff is some high quality stuff. There was a 57 Chevy Nomad or wagon that had one of their earlier water jacketed billet engines. It was roots or screw blown, for the street driving they took the belp off the blower and bolted a throttle bosy in place of the burst panel.

Pretty cool stuff

Re: Drag-N-Drive Duster Gets a Billet Hemi - 01/25/23 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by LA360
The Noonan Hemi stuff is some high quality stuff. There was a 57 Chevy Nomad or wagon that had one of their earlier water jacketed billet engines. It was roots or screw blown, for the street driving they took the belp off the blower and bolted a throttle bosy in place of the burst panel.

Pretty cool stuff

Think you referring to the $hitbox of Doom. Ritchie Crampton owned that, got in a nasty accident with it off track, Tom Baily bought it, Tom's son wrecked it on track last year and they are putting a new body on it. Cool car but looked like a jungle gym inside!
© 2024 Moparts Forums