Moparts

Barton rocker system

Posted By: mopar dave

Barton rocker system - 01/17/23 04:02 AM

Anyone set these rockers up before. They come with shims for the stands, but no directions as how many under each stand. The rollers look to sit centered on the valves.
Posted By: RATTRAP

Re: Barton rocker system - 01/17/23 11:04 AM

I guess that would depend on the wear pattern across the valve tip on how much shimming is required, Post some pics of the legendary rockers.

Re: Barton rocker system - 01/17/23 12:19 PM

I don’t have a good pic at the moment. I don’t have the lifters and push rods yet, so I’ll just put the shims away til I do. It’s gonna be a couple yrs before I can finish this.

Attached picture 59926F71-FDCA-4308-A1E4-ECA3BB6E8855.jpeg
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Barton rocker system - 01/17/23 12:39 PM

I am assuming once the springs are setup to their correct install height, the rocker shims are to get the rockers near to parallel to the top of the springs just as the rocker touches the tip of the valve when fully closed. You would not want to grind the rocker arm for spring clearance.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Barton rocker system - 01/17/23 12:44 PM

There is no required amount of shims. They include them so that you can adjust as needed for your application as mentioned above.

Attached picture rsz_20151008_074929.jpg
Posted By: RATTRAP

Re: Barton rocker system - 01/17/23 01:07 PM

penguin nice parts there

Re: Barton rocker system - 01/17/23 01:20 PM

The springs are set to height. The roller tips on intake set dead center and the exhaust are very close to center. Thats all i can tell at this point til i get them bolted on and get more parts.

Re: Barton rocker system - 01/17/23 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by mopar dave
The springs are set to height. The roller tips on intake set dead center and the exhaust are very close to center. Thats all i can tell at this point til i get them bolted on and get more parts.

Do you have .090" to .100" of clearance between the rocker arm and the outer edge of the spring? Then you should be ok...

Re: Barton rocker system - 01/17/23 01:49 PM

I will take a look. Thanks

Re: Barton rocker system - 01/17/23 03:22 PM

You can't change the rocker ratio, so the articulation remains the same as it follows the cam, so the shims can only be there to make sure the rocker arms sits high enough so they don't hit the outer edge of the springs when in motion...

You have probably seen a million sets of wedge rockers on here that hit the outer edge of the springs...Makes a mess of the aluminum rockers.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Barton rocker system - 01/17/23 04:32 PM

Centered is nice, but not important (unless the tip passes really close to the edge of the stem).
1. With the valve closed, the roller should be inside the center (close to the valley)
2. At 25% lift the roller is centered on the tip
3. At 50% lift the roller reaches its farthest point away from the valley, and stops
4, Reversing, 75% lift when centered again
5. Full lift returning to position 1

Re: Barton rocker system - 01/17/23 04:34 PM

Ok, well since i wont know that for a couple yrs, i thought being centered would be a good start.
© 2024 Moparts Forums