Moparts

Cam break-in springs for a mild cam

Posted By: hemienvy

Cam break-in springs for a mild cam - 01/12/23 11:14 PM

Stock type rebuild, Elgin cam 214 / 224 @ .050, .444" / .466"

The regular springs will be pretty light, around 90 lbs seat, 225 lbs open.

So, do I even need break-in springs ? If so, what would you use ? Around 1.900" installed height, 452 BB heads.
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: Cam break-in springs for a mild cam - 01/12/23 11:59 PM

that cam is nearly identical to a factory magnum cam. exception being 112lsa. i'd put some magnum springs on it and let it go at that. rock auto did show some at one time. don't use stock lo-po springs; they might coil bind.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Cam break-in springs for a mild cam - 01/13/23 01:35 AM

I would check them for coil bind clearances and then shim them for more pressure if possible on the clearances, I would shoot for 125 lbs. on the seats and 250 lbs. open minimum with .060 coil bind clearances minimum wrench up twocents

Re: Cam break-in springs for a mild cam - 01/13/23 01:31 PM

Thanks Gents !
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: Cam break-in springs for a mild cam - 01/13/23 04:17 PM

If they are only 90 lbs. they can be used as break in springs.
Posted By: earlymopar

Re: Cam break-in springs for a mild cam - 01/14/23 12:06 AM

It's the open pressure that's the issue and at only 225 lbs. you are at the very bottom of having sufficient spring pressure for break-in. Cab is right. Shim them if you can.
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: Cam break-in springs for a mild cam - 01/14/23 07:11 PM

While it's true I don't have a Spintron, I think 225 lb open would be fine for break-in since you're not going over 2,500 RPM's.

Re: Cam break-in springs for a mild cam - 01/15/23 12:47 PM

It's not the RPM that's the issue. It's having enough spring pressure to get the camshaft and lifters properly broken in.

Re: Cam break-in springs for a mild cam - 01/15/23 05:42 PM

EarlyMopar, I've never run across any "bare minimum" spring specs for break-in springs. I love to learn this.
Obviously the factory never used break-in springs for the very mild OE cams. If I was using a big solid tappet cam
then break-in springs are recommended, but what would those spring specs be ?
It seems logical that those specs would depend on the lobe AND the RPM.
I've just never heard the reasoning that a minimum spring pressure should be used for the goal of metallurgical break-in.
Not arguing at all, I hope to be educated here.

Re: Cam break-in springs for a mild cam - 01/15/23 08:15 PM

The "minimum spring pressure" issue is with regard to the usual camshaft break-in cycle of 20-30 minutes at 2000 to 2500 rpm. That is not to say that lower spring pressures don't always result in a camshaft that is not broken in. Often in that case a longer break-in cycle is required. I've never run accross written specs that say this either but have had dialog with camshaft designers who do.
© 2024 Moparts Forums