Moparts

Wilson Manifolds made Christmas that much better.

Posted By: feets

Wilson Manifolds made Christmas that much better. - 01/03/23 01:02 AM

My new manifold for the 541 arrived the week before Christmas. Things were going bonkers at work so I'm just now finding the time to play with the new parts.
They port matched the intake, converted it to EFI, and added a few vacuum bungs for my EFI needs as well as the vacuum goodies the car needs. A new 4bbl throttle body was part of the package.
The guys at Wilsom complimented my port template on three different occasions. Apparently, most guys are carving "templates" out of corrugated cardboard using a dull beaver. They had some real horror stories there. Mine was made from the heavy card stock sheet that FelPro slides in the box with valley pans.

The work looks good. The port match was under $300 and a full effort job would have added $1100 to the bill. I didn't see the value for what might get me 12 hp on a highway cruiser.

I slid a pair of calipers down the runners of the RPM and my old Weiand science project. The runner height was quite similar but the width was a totally different story. The old piece has much narrower ports than even the untouched portions of the RPM.

I'm fairly certain the new intake will open up a bit better breathing. Unfortunately, it will not fit with the Indy valley pan so I will have to get creative with the gaskets.

If nothing else, it'll look purty when I open the hood. biggrin

Attached picture 20230102_182156.jpg
Attached picture 20230102_181800.jpg
Attached picture 20230102_181715.jpg
Attached picture 20230102_181932.jpg

Re: Wilson Manifolds made Christmas that much better. - 01/03/23 01:04 AM

Bungs and port match.

Attached picture 20230102_181728.jpg
Attached picture 20230102_182538.jpg

Re: Wilson Manifolds made Christmas that much better. - 01/03/23 01:06 AM

New vs old.

Attached picture 20230102_182949.jpg
Attached picture 20230102_183159.jpg
Attached picture 20230102_183332.jpg
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Wilson Manifolds made Christmas that much better. - 01/03/23 01:12 AM

Very nice.....I for one do not like converting intakes to efi cause its so permanent.....Its why I like throttle body's so much. Port the intake, and do what is needed, but converting to efi is kinda final.....I like these little units, bolt on and go...

Attached picture 12_Injector_Low_Profile_4_Barrel_Throttle_Body_001_480x.jpg

Re: Wilson Manifolds made Christmas that much better. - 01/03/23 01:12 AM

If you want a good finished product you've got to give them a fighting chance.

Attached picture 20230102_191102.jpg
Posted By: racerx

Re: Wilson Manifolds made Christmas that much better. - 01/03/23 03:01 AM

Purdy welds there weld
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Wilson Manifolds made Christmas that much better. - 01/03/23 12:17 PM

That looks really nice, how many CFM do they say that throttle body is?

Re: Wilson Manifolds made Christmas that much better. - 01/03/23 12:28 PM

Throttle body is north of 1200 and capable of exceeding 1500 with a spacer.
Posted By: topside

Re: Wilson Manifolds made Christmas that much better. - 01/03/23 06:32 PM

up
"Corrugated cardboard using a dull beaver" laugh2 - most excellent !
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: Wilson Manifolds made Christmas that much better. - 01/05/23 04:36 PM

That's a nice looking piece and should pick you up considerably!
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Wilson Manifolds made Christmas that much better. - 01/05/23 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by feets
My new manifold for the 541 arrived the week before Christmas. Things were going bonkers at work so I'm just now finding the time to play with the new parts.
They port matched the intake, converted it to EFI, and added a few vacuum bungs for my EFI needs as well as the vacuum goodies the car needs. A new 4bbl throttle body was part of the package.
The guys at Wilsom complimented my port template on three different occasions. Apparently, most guys are carving "templates" out of corrugated cardboard using a dull beaver. They had some real horror stories there. Mine was made from the heavy card stock sheet that FelPro slides in the box with valley pans.

The work looks good. The port match was under $300 and a full effort job would have added $1100 to the bill. I didn't see the value for what might get me 12 hp on a highway cruiser.

I slid a pair of calipers down the runners of the RPM and my old Weiand science project. The runner height was quite similar but the width was a totally different story. The old piece has much narrower ports than even the untouched portions of the RPM.

I'm fairly certain the new intake will open up a bit better breathing. Unfortunately, it will not fit with the Indy valley pan so I will have to get creative with the gaskets.

If nothing else, it'll look purty when I open the hood. biggrin

Was the under 300.00 just for the port matching?
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Wilson Manifolds made Christmas that much better. - 01/05/23 06:30 PM

Looks great!

I'm glad somebody supports this kind of work, so those of us who wouldn't consider it can see what it's about.

Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Wilson Manifolds made Christmas that much better. - 01/05/23 06:37 PM

Looks great!!
And I’m def looking forward to the results from the new manifold and the increased spring loads.
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Wilson Manifolds made Christmas that much better. - 01/05/23 07:17 PM

Great post. Wilson does impressive looking work. But you have to pay for all that labor and love. grin

It is amazing how different the runners are on "as cast" intakes. Nice to see the Edel RPM intake had runners fairly large between the head and plenum.
Can you measure the distance across those "spreader calipers" at a few depths (head opening, 1" into the port, 2" into the port)?
It looks like the Wilson port match goes in maybe 1.5-2.0"
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Wilson Manifolds made Christmas that much better. - 01/05/23 07:27 PM

I've been told that any dual plane intake on EFI is a big No tsk No confused
How did you decide to use your intake?
Was it EFI before with a throttle body?
Thanks in advance for your help up bow
Posted By: INTMD8

Re: Wilson Manifolds made Christmas that much better. - 01/05/23 08:10 PM

Looks nice.

No problem using a dual plane with port injection.

Re: Wilson Manifolds made Christmas that much better. - 01/05/23 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by 440Jim
Can you measure the distance across those "spreader calipers" at a few depths (head opening, 1" into the port, 2" into the port)?
It looks like the Wilson port match goes in maybe 1.5-2.0"

I figure since I asked you, I would do the same with the Mopar Performance M1 RB intake I have, which is the 4500 carb pad version.
What a nightmare. The shape of the port and angles make the WxH measurements into the port kind of difficult, so take each with a grain of salt. And to make it worse, the inner runners and the outer runners on my intake manifold are noticeably different, not just length from plenum to head, but the longer (outer) runners are larger inside...

Attached picture M1_Intake_4500_ports-depth.JPG
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Wilson Manifolds made Christmas that much better. - 01/05/23 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by INTMD8
Looks nice.

I thought that the single plane intakes were needed for either the MAP or MAS sensors to be accurate for the AFR tuning for the ECU to work best in closed loop confusedshruggy

Re: Wilson Manifolds made Christmas that much better. - 01/06/23 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Looks nice.

I thought that the single plane intakes were needed for either the MAP or MAS sensors to be accurate for the AFR tuning for the ECU to work best in closed loop confusedshruggy

Manifold pressures should remain fairly constant across the manifold with each runner varying that wee tiny bit with intake pulses. Those pulses should be the same values for each hole unless you've torched something important.

What screws up throttle body style injection systems are full height plenum dividers. That creates an irregular vacuum signal to the sensors in the throttle body. Cutting down the divider or using an open carb spacer stabilizes the signal, just like with a carb.

Re: Wilson Manifolds made Christmas that much better. - 01/06/23 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

Was the under 300.00 just for the port matching?

That was for the port matching. EFI conversion was a wee bit more. Think factor of 3.

Re: Wilson Manifolds made Christmas that much better. - 01/06/23 03:46 AM

It was a bit difficult to measure the ports. The hand work on the RPM went deeper than 1" and the floors of the low side ports dropped so much that the spring calipers barely fit. The injector bungs were also 1" in so I had to measure the height off to the side of the ports.

Measuring 2" in was not possible due to the curves so I stuck with the port window and 1" deep. Dividers were measured at the opening and as deep as I could sink the dial calipers jaws.

Attached picture 20230105_213543.jpg
Posted By: furious70

Re: Wilson Manifolds made Christmas that much better. - 01/06/23 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Looks nice.

Manifold pressures should remain fairly constant across the manifold with each runner varying that wee tiny bit with intake pulses. Those pulses should be the same values for each hole unless you've torched something important.

What screws up throttle body style injection systems are full height plenum dividers. That creates an irregular vacuum signal to the sensors in the throttle body. Cutting down the divider or using an open carb spacer stabilizes the signal, just like with a carb.

and I've had very good luck with an rpm performer intake on my turbo efi 383 with a sheet metal elbow and forward facing Ford style TB.

Re: Wilson Manifolds made Christmas that much better. - 01/06/23 02:23 PM

"feets",
Thanks for the effort. I was using telescoping gages to measure the ID, so I was able to reach into the port a little deeper. But with the curve, turns, angles, etc. it is hard to get a good number.

Attached picture Telescoping_gages.JPG

Re: Wilson Manifolds made Christmas that much better. - 01/06/23 07:10 PM

I've got a set or five of those things. The injector bungs would have been in the way so I stuck with skinny spring calipers. biggrin

Re: Wilson Manifolds made Christmas that much better. - 01/06/23 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by furious70

and I've had very good luck with an rpm performer intake on my turbo efi 383 with a sheet metal elbow and forward facing Ford style TB.

The low divider of the RPM and that long elbow would straighten out any signal bouncing off the throttle blade. However, it would make for a train wreck if you were squinting fuel all the way up there.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Wilson Manifolds made Christmas that much better. - 01/06/23 08:09 PM

More...

Seems like they have a lot of different needs covered...

Attached picture OIP (1).jpg
Attached picture OIP (2).jpg
Attached picture OIP (3).jpg
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Wilson Manifolds made Christmas that much better. - 01/06/23 09:54 PM

Dragula usually when I see injectors like that its for supplemental fuel for a boosted application.

Re: Wilson Manifolds made Christmas that much better. - 01/07/23 04:00 AM

The long curved elbows can cause problems with some intakes due to the velocity difference between the short side and long side.
Posted By: furious70

Re: Wilson Manifolds made Christmas that much better. - 01/07/23 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by furious70

The low divider of the RPM and that long elbow would straighten out any signal bouncing off the throttle blade. However, it would make for a train wreck if you were squinting fuel all the way up there.

No fuel, but water injection ahead of the throttle blade and it seems happy enough about it. 30-40* temp drop and plugs that all look very similar to each other. If I run out of injector I will experiment with meth mixed in.
© 2024 Moparts Forums