Moparts

Bearing "shelf life"

Posted By: Hot 340

Bearing "shelf life" - 12/26/22 01:50 PM

I've read recently that NEW opened/unsealed engine bearings have a shelf life...even in a dry and CLEAN environment . What say ye? Never heard this before.

I guess some do have the date stamped on them after all.
Posted By: fbs63

Re: Bearing "shelf life" - 12/26/22 02:19 PM

Probably info provided by a study financed by the bearing companies.
Posted By: mgoblue9798

Re: Bearing "shelf life" - 12/26/22 03:10 PM

I say BS.
Posted By: DoubleD

Re: Bearing "shelf life" - 12/26/22 03:11 PM

makes about as much sense as an expiration date on rock salt.....
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Bearing "shelf life" - 12/26/22 03:14 PM

What could possibly change?
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Bearing "shelf life" - 12/26/22 03:22 PM

Airborne solvents, sunlight (not likely), ozone?
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Bearing "shelf life" - 12/26/22 03:25 PM

I was a millwright in a chemical plant, when it closed we had several replacement electric motors that we threw away. I asked about selling them and was told that they couldn't because the bearings go bad sitting on the shelf. I called B.S., then put them in the dumpster.
Posted By: A727Tflite

Re: Bearing "shelf life" - 12/26/22 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Hot 340
I've read recently that NEW opened/unsealed engine bearings have a shelf life...even in a dry and CLEAN environment . What say ye? Never heard this before.

Date code is not only used for “shelf life”. Used for inventory control, recall, etc.

If it makes you feel any better I have several sets of Mopar bearings left over that are in their original cardboard packages. I have used bearings from this collection, that are from the late 60’s. Not a problem with any of them. Likely the only threat to a bearing in storage is moisture and that should be evident.

Acids in oil from use in an engine are likely more harsh than anything a bearing would see in storage.
Posted By: PurpleBeeper

Re: Bearing "shelf life" - 12/26/22 03:34 PM

Greased and in their original package? Their "shelf life" is longer than you will be alive, so don't worry about it.
Posted By: Moparite

Re: Bearing "shelf life" - 12/26/22 03:42 PM

If you ever tried to use rock salt from last year you will find it's a large block of salt now. I would suppose it depends on what the bearing surfaces are made of. It's possible the surfaces could start to form corrosion/rust but i think you would be able to see that. I remember years ago when TRW made bearings they where individually sealed and placed in a cardboard holder so they couldn't rub against each other. Ever look how Mahle bearings are packaged?
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Bearing "shelf life" - 12/26/22 04:34 PM

If you're so curious, why not ask the manufacturer !
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Bearing "shelf life" - 12/26/22 05:57 PM

I think it’s about metal migration….tin/lead alloys tend to migrate over time with copper and bronze and change properties.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Bearing "shelf life" - 12/26/22 07:46 PM

Ever heard of "tin whiskers"?
This is a phenomenon in which, under special circumstances, tin surfaces develop tiny branches (like a crystal) that grow outward and short out printed circuit boards.
Does it only happen with current flow? I don't know.
Posted By: Tig

Re: Bearing "shelf life" - 12/26/22 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by polyspheric
Ever heard of "tin whiskers"?
This is a phenomenon in which, under special circumstances, tin surfaces develop tiny branches (like a crystal) that grow outward and short out printed circuit boards.
Does it only happen with current flow? I don't know.

Current flow can occur with dissimilar metals.
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Bearing "shelf life" - 12/26/22 08:47 PM

I will pay the shipping to take those unused "old" bearings off your hands.
Don't put them in the landfill ... grin
Posted By: Hot 340

Re: Bearing "shelf life" - 12/26/22 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Transman

Date code is not only used for “shelf life”. Used for inventory control, recall, etc.

If it makes you feel any better I have several sets of Mopar bearings left over that are in their original cardboard packages. I have used bearings from this collection, that are from the late 60’s. Not a problem with any of them. Likely the only threat to a bearing in storage is moisture and that should be evident.

Acids in oil from use in an engine are likely more harsh than anything a bearing would see in storage.
Same. I have a bunch too from early 70's. Just seeing if anyone else heard this before
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: Bearing "shelf life" - 12/27/22 01:14 AM

Rant on shelf-life! When I was in the military quality assurance always harped shelf-life importance. For example an unopened tube of RTV that was expiring in 30 days would be sent to scrap. But if a mechanic used it on a jet engine that day it could fly for years with no problem. shruggy
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Bearing "shelf life" - 12/29/22 12:22 AM

If the new bearings, rings, pistons and any other motor hard part look good and measure correctly I will run them scope up twocents
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: Bearing "shelf life" - 12/29/22 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Tig
Current flow can occur with dissimilar metals.

x2. That's how thermocouples work, known dissimilar metals generate a small voltage and you can measure temperature if you know which metals are being used.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Bearing "shelf life" - 12/29/22 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
If the new bearings, rings, pistons and any other motor hard part look good and measure correctly I will run them scope up twocents

I bought two sets of Clevite 77 rod bearings for my 340 almost twenty years ago when I built it. If I ever put it back together, I'll use the spare set that's been sitting in my basement on a shelf all this time.
© 2024 Moparts Forums