Moparts

Hemi distributor

Posted By: mopar dave

Hemi distributor - 12/05/22 03:47 AM

I bought the ATI dampener for the Hemi with the magnets for crank trigger set up. I need a distributor just to spin the rotor. 440source has some really affordable distributors. These any good and who makes them?
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Hemi distributor - 12/05/22 12:21 PM

Buy an MSD, and buy once...No experience with 440Source distributors, but Firecore ones like to explode on me.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Hemi distributor - 12/05/22 01:26 PM

They look similar to speedmaster.

Re: Hemi distributor - 12/05/22 01:51 PM

I had a firecore melt the tip off the rotor and left me on the side of the road.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Hemi distributor - 12/05/22 03:00 PM

A stock one with the weights locked down works fine. But some want a fancy dist to look cool. Depends on what type wires you’re using too.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Hemi distributor - 12/05/22 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by cudaman1969
A stock one with the weights locked down works fine. iagree up scope Depends on what type wires you’re using too.
I have used a bunch of stock type OEM distributors and shorten up the mechanical advance to get the total timing I want and have the idle timing between 12 BTDC up to 18 BTDC with 34 BTDC total timing revved up scope wrench up

Re: Hemi distributor - 12/06/22 12:17 AM

The distributor will need to be locked out for crank trigger use. I’m curious if the source distributors have the lockout provision like the MSD.
Posted By: blowndart

Re: Hemi distributor - 12/06/22 01:17 AM

If you willing to use a old factory Mopar distributor, you could use an old lean burn distributor from a 440. I used one years ago and they work fine and are most likely higher quality than what's coming out of China and being sold under various brand names today. The lean burn distributor have no mechanical or vacuum advance. twocents
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: Hemi distributor - 12/06/22 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by mopar dave
I bought the ATI dampener for the Hemi with the magnets for crank trigger set up. I need a distributor just to spin the rotor. 440source has some really affordable distributors. These any good and who makes them?

She does

Attached picture images.jpeg
Posted By: INTMD8

Re: Hemi distributor - 12/06/22 02:51 PM

LMAO she looks a little old, figured she would have been transferred to the cell phone factory by now.

Re: Hemi distributor - 12/06/22 03:01 PM

Rick, i think she might make the MSD ones too. Hard to find anything not made in China anymore thanks to our corrupt politicians. Firecore,MSD and many of the off brands are China. I like the idea of using one of the original lean burn distributors or a good used clean MSD.
Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: Hemi distributor - 01/11/23 02:07 AM

I am pretty sure all new distributors are built overseas. The Firecore Distributors have evolved to be absolutely amazing and dependable distributors. They are based on the Chrysler design, with improvements throughout. Hot forged billet, melonized shaft, stronger magnets. You will not be disappointed.
Posted By: BigDaddy440

Re: Hemi distributor - 01/11/23 03:49 AM

I wonder if performance Distributors would custom make you something with the minimal features you're looking for? They claim they make their distributors "to order".

https://performancedistributors.com/
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: Hemi distributor - 01/11/23 12:25 PM

if all you want to do is spin the rotor the lean burn distributor is more than up to the task and doesn't have any internals to deal with.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Hemi distributor - 01/11/23 04:16 PM

Any distributor will work if it’s locked down (simple to do) then drill a hole in cap to see when rotor is aligned with plug wire post, checking with timing light (I liked it at the leading edge)
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Hemi distributor - 01/11/23 07:30 PM

I had a firecore melt the tip off the rotor and left me on the side of the road.

This happened to me when my rotor phasing was way off.
Posted By: SCATPACK 1

Re: Hemi distributor - 01/11/23 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by sunroofgtx
I am pretty sure all new distributors are built overseas. The Firecore Distributors have evolved to be absolutely amazing and dependable distributors. They are based on the Chrysler design, with improvements throughout. Hot forged billet, melonized shaft, stronger magnets. You will not be disappointed.

Post a link to the Firecore site.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Hemi distributor - 01/11/23 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by SCATPACK 1

Claim that all you want....Mine thru counter weights thru the side of it and the cap. Wrecked all my wires as well. Luckily, no engine damage from the thing locking up and exploding while driving it.

Re: Hemi distributor - 01/12/23 04:15 AM

I will never buy another FireCore distributor ever. I have never seen this happen with the GM or MSD style rotors.
Posted By: max_maniac

Re: Hemi distributor - 01/12/23 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Dragula
Originally Posted by SCATPACK 1

Claim that all you want....Mine thru counter weights thru the side of it and the cap. Wrecked all my wires as well. Luckily, no engine damage from the thing locking up and exploding while driving it.

I also have had the same issue 3 times. Never again for me MSD is my go to!
Posted By: HEMI472

Re: Hemi distributor - 01/12/23 07:52 AM

did i read this right you guys are having trouble with the FireCore distributor ???? how about the wires ???
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: Hemi distributor - 01/12/23 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by jbc426

This happened to me when my rotor phasing was way off.

X2. I have had that happen on OEM distributors. I've never had an OEM one lock up and fly apart though!

Re: Hemi distributor - 01/12/23 03:58 PM

I hear the wires are real nice.
Posted By: NANKET

Re: Hemi distributor - 01/12/23 06:11 PM

I have 3 sets of firecore wires. They are excellent! 426 Hemi and 440+6 factory sets fit just right.
Quality ends at the plugs and a positive click when going on the plug, they have never fallen off.
I had a set made to my specified lengths. Came out spot on and fit perfect.
Need to order some more sets soon.
© 2024 Moparts Forums