Moparts

A-Body skid plate

Posted By: WS68SSC

A-Body skid plate - 12/02/22 10:07 AM

Does anyone know if there is a company that sells skid plates for a-bodies? I am getting tired of replacing and repairing my Milodon 8 quart oil pan in my big block 68 Dart....
Posted By: A/MP

Re: A-Body skid plate - 12/02/22 03:55 PM

That'll be a fab job. Detpending how hard you've hit the pan in the past, a gusset on either side of the pan on the k member protects a lot more.
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: A-Body skid plate - 12/02/22 04:17 PM

I mocked up a factory style b body skid plate on my GTS torotect the 66-69 6 qt HEMI pan. It looked good after a little fitting with the grinder. Not sure if it would be effect9ve for a 8qt pan due to how low they are.
Posted By: OUTLAWSSAA

Re: A-Body skid plate - 12/02/22 09:41 PM

Here you go. I welded one of these to my K-frame 20yrs ago. Keep in mind that if you hit hard enough that force is going to go somewhere. In my case when I hit the skid plate hard enough, it started to cave in the K member. Then I had to reinforce the inside of the K member.
http://www.superbirdbob.com/acme-products/skid-plate/
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: A-Body skid plate - 12/02/22 10:13 PM

I'd probably look at how to manage the wheel stands after the 1st pan.
Posted By: WS68SSC

Re: A-Body skid plate - 12/04/22 04:23 AM

Its from dips in roads and bumps
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: A-Body skid plate - 12/04/22 04:53 AM

In that case you should focus on doing wheel stands : D
Posted By: AndyF

Re: A-Body skid plate - 12/04/22 05:04 AM

Firm Feel

https://www.firmfeel.com/a_body_mopar_k_frame_reinforcement.html

Re: A-Body skid plate - 12/04/22 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Billy
Its from dips in roads and bumps

Well what do I look like for ASSuming lol.

My car sits real low with a milodon pan. I have driven it all over the country and have not hit the pan. I think there is for sure some luck and a tiny bit of skill but my oil pan has lived a very long healthy life, even with these goat paths in Oklahoma. I use the energy suspension poly bumpstops, the car sits very close to them at ride height but they are the right softness that they don't mess up the ride and they keep the pan off the ground.

See picture for ride height reference. I went and measured my K frame for someone on here one time and it sits a little less than a beer can off the ground. A regular beer can not those tall and slim low carb beer cans grin

Attached picture LastCheckpoint.JPG

Re: A-Body skid plate - 12/04/22 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Jeremiah
In that case you should focus on doing wheel stands : D

He isn't wrong lol
Posted By: EvilB1Dart

Re: A-Body skid plate - 12/05/22 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by Billy
Does anyone know if there is a company that sells skid plates for a-bodies? I am getting tired of replacing and repairing my Milodon 8 quart oil pan in my big block 68 Dart....

All you need is a set of these. These are made by Team Z for a Fox Body, but you can make your own. I have a set on my '68 Cuda and they work perfect. Oil pan savers.......

Attached picture OIL PAN SAVERS.jpg
Posted By: EvilB1Dart

Re: A-Body skid plate - 12/05/22 01:49 AM

Here’s mine…..and they definitely work! Just make and fit them wherever you want underneath to protect your oil pan.

Attached picture A5E49B85-38FE-47B4-A916-8AAE71DCDC2F.jpeg
© 2024 Moparts Forums