Moparts

Radiator Electric Fan Set Ups, whatcha running?

Posted By: Mopar.70

Radiator Electric Fan Set Ups, whatcha running? - 11/22/22 04:24 PM

In process of putting drag car back on the track for next season. Will be running electric water pump, and have 26" 4 core radiator now to go in it. Curious what guys are running and recommended for electric fan on the radiator / shroud or not?
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Radiator Electric Fan Set Ups, whatcha running? - 11/22/22 04:45 PM

What you have may work fine if you can keep the temp consistent....For the drags, not a lot of radiator & fan is required....Its the street that really tests a system....So for drag only, any universal 2 row 1" -1.25" tubes, typically a 31x19 will fit with a little work, and a set of cheap 12" dual electric fans....I ran that style setup for the last 20 years, until I put a Calais Hemi cast iron block in, and that damn thing is tough to cool on a 90* day....Switched to a 1.25" tube & spall 14" fans and a 50gph water pump...did the trick....

For me, I would find a wide tube universal rad that will fit, with a sheet metal shroud and 1-fan, and go with that...I like the Griffin ones best with the 1.25" tubes. Had Becool, and the Griffin way out does it. I had a shroud made for mine by Wizard cooling to gain the over sized fans, but for racing, one is all you need.

https://proshop.summitracing.com/parts/gri-1-56272-x

https://proshop.summitracing.com/parts/gri-cu-56272-x

New and then the old one....

Attached picture IMG_20220830_204815.jpg
Attached picture KIMG1257.JPG
Posted By: moparacer

Re: Radiator Electric Fan Set Ups, whatcha running? - 11/22/22 04:58 PM

I have always had the best luck with SPAL. For track use only with an electric pump you could probably get away with just using a single 16 inch.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Radiator Electric Fan Set Ups, whatcha running? - 11/22/22 05:02 PM

Griffin radiator, direct bolt in replacement, but w/ 2 rows of 1.25" tubes. Meziere 42 gpm electric water pump.
Electric fan and shroud combo from a 2003 Dodge Viper.
It does pretty good, but tends to heat up on extended highway driving...65 mph at 3k rpm. Needs more water pump IMO.

Attached picture nitrous hemi.jpg
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Radiator Electric Fan Set Ups, whatcha running? - 11/22/22 05:55 PM

I had my aluminum rad custom made to still look somewhat Mopar style with two huge 1800 cfm Derale electric fans and -20 AN weld bungs. Keeps this car with more than double the horsepower of my other cars even cooler than they all run on the street.

Attached picture IMG9539321.jpg
Posted By: Mopar.70

Re: Radiator Electric Fan Set Ups, whatcha running? - 11/23/22 02:08 AM

All great info guys, thanks!
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Radiator Electric Fan Set Ups, whatcha running? - 11/23/22 03:20 AM

Big believer in Derale fans. US made, they move a lot of air, and they last.
Sales guy at Motorstate( Lane Automotive) went to a seminar at Derale few years back. When I went in looking for a good fan to replace the fan that came in my current car when I bought it, he was emphatic not to use anything else they stocked except Derale. They had Spal and many other brands to choose from..
Installed it, night and day difference, couldn’t be happier.
Posted By: blowndart

Re: Radiator Electric Fan Set Ups, whatcha running? - 11/23/22 11:17 AM

I run a pair of Derale High Output fans for my Hemi and I have no cooling problems even with the AC running in the Florida heat. Quality fan and they flow a lot of air. I had Spal fans before. They were good as well, but the Derale fans cooled my application down better.
Posted By: 1980volare

Re: Radiator Electric Fan Set Ups, whatcha running? - 11/23/22 03:19 PM

I run a Taurus fan on a 26” aluminum radiator that’s under the trunk. It never gets over 180* the oem fans crush any aftermarket one. 90s Taurus fans are good, so are 98-02 camaro firebird fans.
Posted By: blowndart

Re: Radiator Electric Fan Set Ups, whatcha running? - 11/23/22 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by 1980volare
the oem fans crush any aftermarket one.

iagree If you have the room for them. If you don't, then aftermarket is the only option. An OEM fan is not an option for a Hemi with serpentine belt accessory drive in an A-body, which was my case.
Posted By: INTMD8

Re: Radiator Electric Fan Set Ups, whatcha running? - 11/23/22 03:42 PM

I use Spal 30102130
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Radiator Electric Fan Set Ups, whatcha running? - 11/23/22 03:55 PM

I use a $200 triple pass aluminum radiator and a $135 spal 16 inch radistor and it keeps my blown hemi around 185*

Attached picture thumbnail (12).jpg
Attached picture thumbnail (57).jpg
Posted By: dvw

Re: Radiator Electric Fan Set Ups, whatcha running? - 11/23/22 05:47 PM

Mine runs a late model junkyard Dodge Charger dual fan set-up. Easy to fit. They move a ton of air.
Doug

Attached picture 51.jpg
Attached picture 52.jpg
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Radiator Electric Fan Set Ups, whatcha running? - 11/23/22 07:27 PM

I use a Delta Pag 18" 4000CFM Brushless.
Posted By: Mopar Mitch

Re: Radiator Electric Fan Set Ups, whatcha running? - 11/23/22 07:38 PM

This is a good thread...

I'm considering installing one or two electric fans. I run lots of pylon autocross and HPDE/HSAX events... and after a while of long running time on the tracks, the temp rises... so I run with the heater on full-blast to help reduce some engine heat.

I have a recent new US Radiator Triple-Flow aluminum radiator, two 1.25" rows, 22" width (properly fitting my core support opening), factory fan shroud and 7-blade aluminum clutch fan, have tried different thermostats.. 160-180-195, etc... runs great while normal driving... but when racing, especially lengthy sessions, the temp rises and gets pretty hot... changed the cap to a 21#... temp still moves up to around 220+... only under lengthy racing conditions.

I also added a foam filler (2" round) between the upper radiator tank and the core support... so to prevent air from traveling away from the radiator.

So, I'm considering adding an electric fan... behind the radiator as I have a large automatic trans cooler in the front. I'm also planning to add an upper flat shroud from the grille-to-core support... as I see that many road racers have that added.

Since the radiator is only 22", I may add two electric fans and they would then likely over-extend the radiator width a little.. and that's OK with me. I would further have to remove the 7-blade clutch fan.

Comments, suggestions for electric fans on a 22" width radiator? My thoughts are that while idling after the runs (example: HOLLEY Bowling Green MOPARTY with lots of runs!), the electric fans would help much more, but... on hot lengthy HPDE lapping sessions, the temp has still run increasingly high during those typical 20-30-minute track sessions... really hot on warm summer days!
Posted By: Tig

Re: Radiator Electric Fan Set Ups, whatcha running? - 11/23/22 07:45 PM

Twin spal pushers and an old Be Cool replacement rad, originally for a 528 motor. I guess it works OK on the 572, generally keeping the temp around 185 degree after a pass, back to the pits and pootling around on the street. I think it's marginal, I'm considering going to a dual or triple pass rad, I just don't have the room for big fans.
That having been said, last time out we had a faulty fan controller, I've just upgraded to another digital controller. It uses a screw in NPT temp sensor rather than a thermocouple that pushes into the rad fins. We'll have to wait a while see if it improves cooling though.
[Linked Image]

Re: Radiator Electric Fan Set Ups, whatcha running? - 11/23/22 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mopar Mitch
This is a good thread...

I'm considering installing one or two electric fans. I run lots of pylon autocross and HPDE/HSAX events... and after a while of long running time on the tracks, the temp rises... so I run with the heater on full-blast to help reduce some engine heat.

I have a recent new US Radiator Triple-Flow aluminum radiator, two 1.25" rows, 22" width (properly fitting my core support opening), factory fan shroud and 7-blade aluminum clutch fan, have tried different thermostats.. 160-180-195, etc... runs great while normal driving... but when racing, especially lengthy sessions, the temp rises and gets pretty hot... changed the cap to a 21#... temp still moves up to around 220+... only under lengthy racing conditions.

I also added a foam filler (2" round) between the upper radiator tank and the core support... so to prevent air from traveling away from the radiator.

So, I'm considering adding an electric fan... behind the radiator as I have a large automatic trans cooler in the front. I'm also planning to add an upper flat shroud from the grille-to-core support... as I see that many road racers have that added.

Since the radiator is only 22", I may add two electric fans and they would then likely over-extend the radiator width a little.. and that's OK with me. I would further have to remove the 7-blade clutch fan.

Comments, suggestions for electric fans on a 22" width radiator? My thoughts are that while idling after the runs (example: HOLLEY Bowling Green MOPARTY with lots of runs!), the electric fans would help much more, but... on hot lengthy HPDE lapping sessions, the temp has still run increasingly high during those typical 20-30-minute track sessions... really hot on warm summer days!

If you have a small block they are a little tougher to fit because the engine is longer than a BB from what I understand. I use an electric pump and the thinnest fan I could find and its a super tight fit. This is a 4000CFM Delta Pag fan and Meziere 35GPM pump with a speedway dual pass radiator.

Attached picture Fan.JPG
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Radiator Electric Fan Set Ups, whatcha running? - 11/23/22 11:07 PM

Custom built B-Cool, 2 12” spal pullers. I just finished the 3/4” shroud. Have to wait till summer to see how it works.

Attached picture 35649290-496F-4C4F-8773-F56D3E718D2C.jpeg

Re: Radiator Electric Fan Set Ups, whatcha running? - 11/24/22 03:32 PM

Any concern with the lower rad hose not being near the bottom of the rad?
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Radiator Electric Fan Set Ups, whatcha running? - 11/24/22 03:55 PM

No problems with it. Any lower the lower hose wouldn’t clear the oil pump. I would have to find some crazy curved hose to clear the oil pump, probably impossible.
Posted By: fuseable

Re: Radiator Electric Fan Set Ups, whatcha running? - 11/24/22 07:06 PM

Don't forget the Mercedes fan swap from Moparts a while back.
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthread...c-cooling-fan-upgrade-long-w-photos.html
Posted By: moparx

Re: Radiator Electric Fan Set Ups, whatcha running? - 11/24/22 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by dvw
Mine runs a late model junkyard Dodge Charger dual fan set-up. Easy to fit. They move a ton of air.
Doug

i'm fitting one of those OEM fans as well to my charger.
i agree, the OEM fans are what to use if you have the room ! up
beer
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Radiator Electric Fan Set Ups, whatcha running? - 11/24/22 11:51 PM

Puller only unless absolutely no way to fit in between the radiator and the engine.
Any radiator core not covered by the electric fan shroud should be masked on the engine side.
Posted By: feets

Re: Radiator Electric Fan Set Ups, whatcha running? - 11/25/22 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by polyspheric
Puller only unless absolutely no way to fit in between the radiator and the engine.
Any radiator core not covered by the electric fan shroud should be masked on the engine side.

To add a bit...

Any electric fan shroud with large flat areas blocking the core should have flaps installed. They need to be top hinged so they lay flat and closed when stopped.

Air pushing through the radiator at speed will flip them open and allow air to get out. At low speed the electric fan will pull them closed and draw air through the radiator.

I can tell you that no matter the name on the box or the eleventy billion cfm marketing hype there is not an electric fan on the market drawing under 40 amps that can keep up with the massive volume of air slammed into a muscle-era car's grille at highway speed.

A tight shroud (read:pretty, slim, flat, close to the radiator core) will end up blocking air. If the store bought electric fan is powered up at speed it will not keep up with air flow and will become a 12 volt generator as the air flow overpowers it. Cutting flaps into the shroud will create a bypass that gives stacked up air an exit ramp.

People seem to forget that aerodynamics is at play between the radiator and shroud.

Look for OEM fans that fit your application. Dual fans can be handy for opening up some real estate in the center to allow a bit more room for the water pump.
Posted By: mopar65

Re: Radiator Electric Fan Set Ups, whatcha running? - 11/25/22 06:03 PM

Great looking set up. Thats the same fan I am useing on my 91 dakota sport .
Posted By: mopar65

Re: Radiator Electric Fan Set Ups, whatcha running? - 11/25/22 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by 1980volare
I run a Taurus fan on a 26” aluminum radiator that’s under the trunk. It never gets over 180* the oem fans crush any aftermarket one. 90s Taurus fans are good, so are 98-02 camaro firebird fans.
thats the fan I used on my 73 big block dart. The fan worked awesome. But on my 91 dakota sport I ended up useing the fan set up from a 06 5.7 dodge charger. It has 2 fans and I needed the space between them so my electric water pump drive would clear.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Radiator Electric Fan Set Ups, whatcha running? - 11/25/22 06:21 PM

The ideal shroud covers the entire core face, then extends back as far as possible (1 foot at least) tapering down to the fan opening.
I can't think of any car with that much room.
© 2024 Moparts Forums