Moparts

Aluminum block

Posted By: Thelma133

Aluminum block - 11/16/22 06:18 AM

How do you gents with aluminum blocks, with no petcocks, remove water from it for the winter??
Posted By: RATTRAP

Re: Aluminum block - 11/16/22 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Thelma133
How do you gents with aluminum blocks, with no petcocks, remove water from it for the winter??

I would drain the water from the radiator re-fill with antifreeze, run the block to temp and store for the winter, flush it in the spring.
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Aluminum block - 11/16/22 11:25 AM

Drill and tap a hole in the side of the block, and install a petcock.

My aluminum INDY block is half filled with Rock Block, and a hole was drilled at the top of the fill.

But as RATTRAP has said, just drain the radiator, and fill with antifreeze, and run the water pump to circulate.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Aluminum block - 11/16/22 12:07 PM

You can also blow compressed air in the upper hose and it will blow it out the lower. It would remove enough to not worry about freezing but won't get all of it.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Aluminum block - 11/16/22 06:29 PM

easy live somewhere warmer laugh2
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Aluminum block - 11/17/22 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by RATTRAP

I would drain the water from the radiator re-fill with antifreeze, run the block to temp and store for the winter, flush it in the spring.

I agree. With the water pump running, it will mix the new antifreeze and the left over water in the block. So don't use that premixed antifreeze.
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Aluminum block - 11/17/22 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by JERICOGTX
Drill and tap a hole in the side of the block, and install a petcock.

My aluminum INDY block is half filled with Rock Block, and a hole was drilled at the top of the fill.

But as RATTRAP has said, just drain the radiator, and fill with antifreeze, and run the water pump to circulate.

1) iagree
2) as Al stated move some where warmer
c) dont use coolannt - thats how I do it.
Posted By: Clanton

Re: Aluminum block - 11/19/22 03:50 PM

I use a brake vacuum pump or the same tube with wire bent as a hook with the tube taped to it and syphon the liquid out.I was doing this with a Koleno block for the past 15yrs.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Aluminum block - 11/19/22 04:36 PM

I just winterized mine for the winter even though I have a heated garage. I do it every winter just in case my furnace were to break. I just drain most of the water and top off with antifreeze and fire it up until warm and circulating. Then drain it all in the spring again.
Posted By: racerx

Re: Aluminum block - 11/19/22 06:42 PM

^^^ This is kind of what i do but my garage doesn't have control heat, but it's insulated and i just run 50/50 mix. but i do have a cast iron block tho. i have a thermometer on my bench with a 12 oz bottle of water that never freezes. twocents
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Aluminum block - 11/19/22 07:42 PM

I think every aluminum block with coolant passages need to have non corrosive coolant in them year around twocents work
Posted By: moparx

Re: Aluminum block - 11/19/22 07:56 PM

maybe not necessarily coolant, but some kind of additive to prevent corrosion due to electrolysis.
maybe one of those anodes attached to a radiator cap ? shruggy
beer
Posted By: moparacer

Re: Aluminum block - 11/20/22 02:52 PM

Mine gets antifreeze no matter what....Being in the radiator business for 35 years, I have seen what a little water in the right spot can do if it freezes.
Posted By: Leigh

Re: Aluminum block - 11/20/22 04:15 PM

Zero experience with filled blocks. I can say, from experience, that water comes out of both sides of the drained block. No way would I trust draining only one side. I run softened water with water pump lube during the race season, and softened water and coolant, mixed 50-50. I then check for -25 -30 fahrenheit. This is an iron R1 block.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Aluminum block - 11/20/22 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by moparacer
Mine gets antifreeze no matter what....Being in the radiator business for 35 years, I have seen what a little water in the right spot can do if it freezes.

i absolutely agree, especially if even there is a TINY chance a temperature MAY dip below freezing.
beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums