Moparts

New 440 block

Posted By: GTXMEX

New 440 block - 10/18/22 02:09 AM

I'm considering buying a new 440 block versus investing in the used one I was going to start with. Investing in the Milodon support, all the various machining, etc. What would be the best, most cost effective new block to go with? Assuming there are options?
Posted By: Thelma133

Re: New 440 block - 10/18/22 04:15 AM

You can get a BMP new aluminum block. It ain’t cheap, but I’ve just been making payments. If I have to use my old low deck I will, but rather sell it. If you can use a low deck “B” that’s what I would use. I never hurt mine.
Posted By: jwb123

Re: New 440 block - 10/18/22 01:21 PM

I am old enough to remember when they did not make an aftermarket block. I look at it this way how much HP did Chrysler engineers build the stock block to make? 400hp approximately. So if we take a stock block and make 700hp with it, we are overbuilding the block by a large amount. That will bite you eventually, seen it happen to other people myself included. I have done all the stuff, filled the block, aluminum main caps, 4 bolt main caps, main girdles, all just band aides. Unless you are just building a 500 HP engine buy the after-market block, money well invested.
Posted By: Thelma133

Re: New 440 block - 10/18/22 05:37 PM

I agree with jwb. I had low deck 400, 499 stroker, it ran very well..... BUT, could not run more than 35 degrees timing or detonated. I don’t want to take any more chances with block failure, hence the choice to aluminum. I have to wait longer to build it, lack of funds, but it won’t break. I have read many people made 800 horsepower with a 400 block and it lived. I called Koffel, and he builds these strokers all the time, He said that 800 was the limit. There are countless articles on this topic if you search the web. Good luck.
Posted By: GY3

Re: New 440 block - 10/18/22 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Thelma133
I have read many people made 800 horsepower with a 400 block and it lived. I called Koffel, and he builds these strokers all the time, He said that 800 was the limit.

I'm at 850 on a 440 block. Does this mean I should be worried? LOL! work
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: New 440 block - 10/18/22 06:59 PM

Pretty much any aftermarket block is better than a stock one....but

At one time i was going 9 teens at 140?? at 3500lbs , but at the time i looked at a calculator and it was 900+? hp , stock RB block, Stock caps, just alum rods. Its like russian roullette, if your lucky....your lucky.... grin
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: New 440 block - 10/18/22 08:11 PM

I like my Indy Maxx
Posted By: reknapp52

Re: New 440 block - 10/18/22 08:24 PM

From what I've been reading/hearing the BMP is the best bang for the buck.
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: New 440 block - 10/18/22 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by GTXMEX
I'm considering buying a new 440 block versus investing in the used one I was going to start with. Investing in the Milodon support, all the various machining, etc. What would be the best, most cost effective new block to go with? Assuming there are options?

You will have to check price and current availability (delivery time) from dealers on all of them. But here are my 2-cents.
1) Keith Black. Strongest (IMO), and most expensive. $7,495 (web)
2) Indy Max. Next best of these 3. $7,300 (web)
3) Bill Mitchell Products (BMP). Best bang for the buck $6,195 (web) for less than 1500 hp. Link to BMP web site
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: New 440 block - 10/18/22 09:10 PM

Which, if any, needs e$$$tensive machine work (bad threads, leaks, blind galleries)?
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: New 440 block - 10/18/22 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by jwb123
I am old enough to remember when they did not make an aftermarket block. I look at it this way how much HP did Chrysler engineers build the stock block to make? 400hp approximately. So if we take a stock block and make 700hp with it, we are overbuilding the block by a large amount. That will bite you eventually, seen it happen to other people myself included. I have done all the stuff, filled the block, aluminum main caps, 4 bolt main caps, main girdles, all just band aides. Unless you are just building a 500 HP engine buy the after-market block, money well invested.

All things being equal, an aftermarket block should make more power if the block isn't moving around.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: New 440 block - 10/19/22 03:11 AM

Koleno high nickel block first, KB aluminum second and Bull Dog cast grey iron is my latest purchase.
High HP + coming soon devil boogie
Posted By: racerx

Re: New 440 block - 10/19/22 11:11 AM

It was sad that Kolene went out of business ,And Keith Black just a lot of blah ........Look at the BMP block work
Posted By: hudsonhornet7x

Re: New 440 block - 10/19/22 12:18 PM

I know that there has been a lot of rumors about Keith Black not having anything to sell but t-shirts, but when I called Tim at FHO they had blocks in stock and I had mine about 2 weeks after I ordered it. Just my 2 cents. * This was about one year ago- just for reference*
Posted By: GY3

Re: New 440 block - 10/19/22 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by hudsonhornet7x
I know that there has been a lot of rumors about Keith Black not having anything to sell but t-shirts, but when I called Tim at FHO they had blocks in stock and I had mine about 2 weeks after I ordered it. Just my 2 cents.

Haha, and when you order them they send you the wrong size and act like a-holes when you try to get them to fix it.

Oh well, my daughter got a neat looking small t-shirt of the wrong color to wear now.
Posted By: hudsonhornet7x

Re: New 440 block - 10/19/22 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by GY3
Originally Posted by hudsonhornet7x
I know that there has been a lot of rumors about Keith Black not having anything to sell but t-shirts, but when I called Tim at FHO they had blocks in stock and I had mine about 2 weeks after I ordered it. Just my 2 cents.

Haha, and when you order them they send you the wrong size and act like a-holes when you try to get them to fix it.

Oh well, my daughter got a neat looking small t-shirt of the wrong color to wear now.

Dang, This block is the only thing I have ever ordered from them.
Posted By: Brad_Haak

Re: New 440 block - 10/19/22 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by polyspheric
Which, if any, needs e$$$tensive machine work (bad threads, leaks, blind galleries)?

Yeah, my question is... how much does it really cost to have a "ready to assemble" BMP aluminum block?

Re: New 440 block - 10/19/22 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Brad_Haak

Yeah, my question is... how much does it really cost to have a "ready to assemble" BMP aluminum block?

I posted the machine shop work on my BMP block here: 572 B1 org Part 3-Machine Shop Report
More info on the BMP block are in other "Parts" of my build topic(s). Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, etc.
Posted By: racerx

Re: New 440 block - 10/24/22 03:42 PM

bump.....For this thread? does anyone make an aftermarket short deck block in steel? Besides Indy,i know they make some aluminum short decks....Thanks.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: New 440 block - 10/24/22 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by racerx
bump.....For this thread? does anyone make an aftermarket short deck block in steel? Besides Indy,i know they make some aluminum short decks....Thanks.

Nope, your kinda stuck in a holding pattern....I think the Bulldog was the last one, and I believe they went quietly out of business. Not to mention the quality was not there...There just isn't enough people that want them to cover the costs....And yet $12k-$15k billet blocks go like hot cakes...I would love a Mopar moved centerline block & head setup so we can run some bigger cubes....I don't see that happening anytime in the near future either.

And as far as the aluminum ones go, I would love to hear the feedback on the current blocks from this past year or so.......I have had a few, and all with coolant or oiling issues....I just could not believe how thick the deck was, and yet they drilled right thru it on all the head bolts....I saw another where they drilled the trans bolt holes into the water jacket as well! I mean if anything is important in an aluminum block, its keeping the oil & water where it belongs!
Posted By: Chief

Re: New 440 block - 10/24/22 05:38 PM

I bought a Indy Maxx in June. 7700.00 shipped to my door.

Blocked was clearance for stroke, torque plate bored/honed, square decked with BHJ this was above the machining they normally do.
440 blocks were a month out, but they had the 9.98 deck blocks on the shelf.
50% down rest before they ship.

Deanna was great to work with and I had to go over what I wanted with Ken before they started.

Quality piece, as expected.

Dave

Re: New 440 block - 10/24/22 05:43 PM

Do the current Indy Max blocks come with 9/16" main studs or is that only their "X" block version?

KB (from 2014) had 5/8" stud into the block, tapered to 9/16" through the caps.

Attached picture KB_main_studs-label.jpg
Attached picture Main_Cap_compare_labels.jpg

Re: New 440 block - 10/24/22 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Chief

Blocked was clearance for stroke, torque plate bored/honed, square decked with BHJ this was above the machining they normally do.

Dave
Good pricing to your door.
Their web site says torque plate bore/hone $400 additional, square decked $200, stroker clearance $300. Shipping likely ~$350.
Posted By: LA360

Re: New 440 block - 10/24/22 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by racerx

Bulldog were, but Jason Line took over that business. Charlie Wescott sells the Jline Hemi blocks, maybe he'd know if they will be doing any others??
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: New 440 block - 10/25/22 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Brad_Haak

about $1100 over purchase price. The lifter bushings are very tough to get right, ending with no taper. They start at . 902+, have to be . 0015 bigger than lifters. The bores come in at under 4.489, at least mine did, so that cost extra. Decks were in need of a lite cut, ended at 10.720. not sure how much the deck cut was needed, may gave been close enough? So that is a basic estimte.

Re: New 440 block - 10/25/22 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by 440Jim

Dave
Good pricing to your door.
Their web site says torque plate bore/hone $400 additional, square decked $200, stroker clearance $300. Shipping likely ~$350.

Yes. Only shipping was 550.00 if memory is right. You could be closer though.
I thought it was a good deal.

Dave

Re: New 440 block - 10/25/22 05:07 PM

Jim,
1/2" studs and 1/2" single cross bolt.
But all 5 mains are cross bolt.

Dave

Re: New 440 block - 10/25/22 11:41 PM

Jim,
1/2" studs and 1/2" single cross bolt.
But all 5 mains are cross bolt.

Dave

Thanks Dave,
As I posted, I think the Indy block is slightly better/stronger than the BMP; but not much. For comparison:
BMP block:
1/2" studs (100 ft-lb) and 3/8" single cross bolts (45 ft-lbs).
Number 5 main cap does not have cross bolts.
Since I am using pushrod oiling, I like that BMP comes with lifter oiling and bronze bushings with oil hole. But they need to be final sized for lifters... geez

This pic has approximate cap dimensions, Chief can you put a set of calipers on the Indy cap for comparison?

Attached picture BMP_block_mains1-dims.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums