Moparts

roller cam, torrington bearing ,and cam button

Posted By: bigblk66_coronet

roller cam, torrington bearing ,and cam button - 10/16/22 08:41 PM

So im building a 512 stroker and decided to go with a roller cam seeing as nobody seems to be able to make a hydraulic flat tappet cam last anymore. What a fringin night mare. I knew very little about roller cams and what was involved in making one work. what is with this stupid cam button? i got one from 440 source and it was way too long. so we took 100 thou off of it. not sure if it was too much or not yet. Then i bolt the timing chain on with arp bolts and the bolts hit the cover! So we took the washers off and it seems to clear now. we discovered the difference is the one with the torrington bearing sticks out farther....[censored]. anyone else run into this problem? this is supposed to be the way to go? been nothing but a nightmare trying to figure this out. anyone run into this before and how did you deal with it? like i said this roller cam stuff is all new to me.

Attached picture 311414275_5320615711401173_1649885696829174942_n.jpg
Attached picture 311377249_769348704165201_8170794112719711395_n.jpg
Attached picture 311051205_667191924722484_7685768280709780815_n.jpg
Attached picture 310943443_1034310601299386_1128519456639710092_n.jpg

Re: roller cam, torrington bearing ,and cam button - 10/16/22 08:42 PM

more pics of what im dealing with

Attached picture 270072550_5686238881423225_6595072189910319640_n.jpg
Attached picture 310943443_1034310601299386_1128519456639710092_n.jpg
Posted By: CSK

Re: roller cam, torrington bearing ,and cam button - 10/16/22 08:44 PM

on mine I had to grind down the head of bolts with no washers & use a nylon button & grind it down to fit, also the bolts had to be regular hex head bolts

Re: roller cam, torrington bearing ,and cam button - 10/16/22 08:51 PM

ok thanks.....this just makes no sense to me at all. everything ive read says everyone had to grind down or turn down the button....i mean wth kind of nonsense is that! how did you figure out you were at the right size on the button?
Posted By: Uberpube

Re: roller cam, torrington bearing ,and cam button - 10/16/22 09:29 PM

I think I found my hand twin.
I used the nylon button and allen head cam gear bolts, and then I had to clearance the button in three spots for the bolt heads.The first set of bolts I bought for the cam gear stuck out too far like yours. The thrust clearance was a bit more work, hard to find a spec on timing cover gasket compression to do it one touch out of the box
Posted By: Clanton

Re: roller cam, torrington bearing ,and cam button - 10/16/22 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by bigblk66_coronet
ok thanks.....this just makes no sense to me at all. everything ive read says everyone had to grind down or turn down the button....i mean wth kind of nonsense is that! how did you figure out you were at the right size on the button?
I used clay on the button to check fit but haing it hit the cover with no gasket on may work then use the gasket.

Re: roller cam, torrington bearing ,and cam button - 10/16/22 09:33 PM

im relieved to know its not just me thats having this issue. In this day and age this is the best they can come up with?.....come on!
Posted By: AndyF

Re: roller cam, torrington bearing ,and cam button - 10/16/22 10:15 PM

I've been making billet timing chain covers and matching cam buttons for 20 years to solve this problem.

https://arengineering.com/

Re: roller cam, torrington bearing ,and cam button - 10/16/22 10:18 PM

oh really?
so if i buy you stuff this will solve my issues?
Posted By: jwb123

Re: roller cam, torrington bearing ,and cam button - 10/16/22 10:25 PM

I seldom get one of the bearing thrust buttons to fit a mopar. I usually just use aluminum bar stock, and turn one myself in the lathe, and I use button head allen bolts, I don't think the heads of the bolts will clear the cover in your pictures. If everything is good with the valve train, there is not a lot of force against the cam button anyway. I have also used the white nylon cam buttons as well, and usually even those have to be trimmed.
Posted By: Clanton

Re: roller cam, torrington bearing ,and cam button - 10/16/22 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by jwb123
I seldom get one of the bearing thrust buttons to fit a mopar. I usually just use aluminum bar stock, and turn one myself in the lathe, and I use button head allen bolts, I don't think the heads of the bolts will clear the cover in your pictures. If everything is good with the valve train, there is not a lot of force against the cam button anyway. I have also used the white nylon cam buttons as well, and usually even those have to be trimmed.
I thought I was the only 1 to use button head bolts on the cam.I just file the outside edge of the head by .030" all the way around and no problem with the button clearence.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: roller cam, torrington bearing ,and cam button - 10/16/22 11:37 PM

I just went through this last week so it's fresh in my mind. I just used the cheap Comp cams plastic one and notched in 3 places for the bolts with a small sanding drum in a Dremel. I had the same issue with the ARP bolts touching the cover so I installed a thicker gasket from Superformance. Greg makes the timing cover gaskets in different thicknesses. I put my timing cover on and it just touches the button. So now I'm happy for an easy fix up

Gus beer
Posted By: SV_MOPARS

Re: roller cam, torrington bearing ,and cam button - 10/16/22 11:56 PM

im relieved to know its not just me thats having this issue. In this day and age this is the best they can come up with?.....come on!

i will ditto that, im in the same boat.

Re: roller cam, torrington bearing ,and cam button - 10/17/22 12:07 AM

you too huh? very frustrating. Are you on fb?
Posted By: Stanton

Re: roller cam, torrington bearing ,and cam button - 10/17/22 02:51 AM

I thought I was the only 1 to use button head bolts on the cam.I just file the outside edge of the head by .030" all the way around and no problem with the button clearence.

I use button head bolts as well and have no problems with clearance. I use a roller cam button like yours but actually have to shim it out to get the endplay. down. I'm using a cast cover that someone produced a number of years ago. Awesome piece but they seem to have only made a limited run.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: roller cam, torrington bearing ,and cam button - 10/17/22 05:51 AM

What's up on showing two different cam gears confused
On the three bolt cam gear is there a spacer mounted on the front between the bolts and the gear?
I have 5 or 6 sets of Cloyes 3 bolt timing sets that have the wrong 3 bolt cam gear for BB Mopars puke shruggy work
I'll try and remember to take some pictures of them tomorrow in the day light and add them on here luck
Posted By: Tig

Re: roller cam, torrington bearing ,and cam button - 10/17/22 01:25 PM

I can remember going through all this too, I ended up grinding the 3 hex bolt heads and using a nylon button on a stock type (chrome) timing cover, as others have done. I always worried when I changed timing cover gaskets as some are thicker or thinner than the original set up one but it never seemed to cause any issue. I used an old stock timing cover with a hole in the appropriate place and a dial gauge to measure the play, this was a long long time ago and I can't remember the figure we were shooting for.
If you go to a Jesel belt drive you can set up the play / clearance much more accurately as they are supplied with a selection of shims IIRC. They are expensive but worth it in my opinion. twocents
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: roller cam, torrington bearing ,and cam button - 10/17/22 01:42 PM

The only issue is you thinking it's supposed to be a drop in, cam buttons have to be fit to to the parts you have.

Did you use a gasket when doing your fit tests?

You also might want to add a spacer behind the water pump to firm up the cover because it's going to flex.

Andy F's cover setup is a nice piece but you are still going to have to fit it, which will be easier with his stuff.
Posted By: GY3

Re: roller cam, torrington bearing ,and cam button - 10/17/22 02:34 PM

Comp cams nylon thrust button is easy to carve to the right size and just takes a few minutes.

The current one has been in my engine for over 6 years.

I used arp hardware and didn't have any issues with hitting the cover. shruggy
Posted By: AndyF

Re: roller cam, torrington bearing ,and cam button - 10/17/22 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by JohnRR

The only issue is you thinking it's supposed to be a drop in, cam buttons have to be fit to to the parts you have.

You also might want to add a spacer behind the water pump to firm up the cover because it's going to flex.

Andy F's cover setup is a nice piece but you are still going to have to fit it, which will be easier with his stuff.

Typically the only fitting required with my cover and button is selecting the correct timing cover gasket. Superformance used to make several different gaskets so I kept a selection of each on hand. Only takes a few minutes to mock it up, measure the end play and then select the correct gasket to get the end play in the correct range. We build engines all the time with that setup.

Re: roller cam, torrington bearing ,and cam button - 10/17/22 10:56 PM

just to show the difference betwee the two and to show why the cam blots are hitting cover. sproket hangs out farther with torrinton bearing on the back of it,
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: roller cam, torrington bearing ,and cam button - 10/18/22 12:27 AM

If you have the correct cam gear designed and built for the Torrington thrust bearing, there should be no interference with it and the bolts under a stock cover shruggy
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: roller cam, torrington bearing ,and cam button - 10/18/22 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by AndyF
Originally Posted by JohnRR

Typically the only fitting required with my cover and button is selecting the correct timing cover gasket. Superformance used to make several different gaskets so I kept a selection of each on hand. Only takes a few minutes to mock it up, measure the end play and then select the correct gasket to get the end play in the correct range. We build engines all the time with that setup.

I didn't realize it was that easy , I need to look into that and if it will fly with F.A.S.T. rules for stock APPEARANCE cool
© 2024 Moparts Forums