Moparts

Well plans were for an easy winter

Posted By: pittsburghracer

Well plans were for an easy winter - 10/10/22 05:06 PM

Well I only have one season on my 408 and my 422 is on my engine stand waiting 11 months now for Molnar rods. I took on a couple porting jobs to make some racing funds and finish up my 572 install in my blue duster. Well I got some extra work over the weekend. After running a nice 6.05 and a 6.02 in some crappy weather at Quaker City we got some costal type great air on Saturday. Well I was going to let my son drive on Sunday as he came over from Tiffin Ohio for the weekend. Well I put him in the seat so he could race both days. He dialed 5.97 and had a .0002 light but my duster launched high, hit second gear in the powerglide and come up and hit the rear bumper. At 330-350 foot out he featured it some and it came down, bounced and hit the wall broadside. Hit front to back I now have some bodywork to do over the winter. Steering wheel is now off too so something in the frontend got tweaked. My son Matt is fine and went on to race his buddy’s 5 second Camero later that day and Sunday.

Re: Well plans were for an easy winter - 10/10/22 05:10 PM

Attached picture 41F3CD13-5C2F-40F5-8290-1608725140E5.jpeg
Attached picture 0DD8B825-D955-4AA6-9B7D-0EA9AC326DFA.jpeg
Attached picture 6B46FB24-874F-4F22-80B3-9AFE1A73F8BA.jpeg
Attached picture 8515C164-445F-46E9-8DFD-30D6AB18EE65.jpeg
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Well plans were for an easy winter - 10/10/22 06:00 PM

That sucks, glad the kid is ok.
Posted By: Brad_Haak

Re: Well plans were for an easy winter - 10/10/22 06:02 PM

$hit
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Well plans were for an easy winter - 10/10/22 06:19 PM

Bummer John. Hope it isn't hurt too bad under the skin.
Posted By: Clanton

Re: Well plans were for an easy winter - 10/10/22 06:25 PM

I am glad your son is ok! I don't even have my car fixed but I would send you 20$ if you let me.You have done so much for all on this site we appreciate it.

Re: Well plans were for an easy winter - 10/10/22 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Clanton
I am glad your son is ok! I don't even have my car fixed but I would send you 20$ if you let me.You have done so much for all on this site we appreciate it.

I really appreciate it but that’s not necessary. I have a set of heads almost done for a customer and an intake coming soon. I have slowly been getting rid of a few parts sitting around and will be listing a few more this week. This is mostly labor and I work pretty cheap. Lol. Thanks again but buy something for your beast and enjoy it.
Posted By: moparacer

Re: Well plans were for an easy winter - 10/10/22 06:57 PM

Ouch....No wheelie bars gets you in trouble sometimes.....I stood mine up the other year and pedaled out of it enough to only smash the pan and lower control arms. Was lucky. Hope you can get it fixed without too much trouble.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Well plans were for an easy winter - 10/10/22 06:59 PM

man, that's too bad !
glad your boy is ok ! that's the main thing. tin can be fixed relatively easy, skin & bones, sometimes not so much !
beer
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Well plans were for an easy winter - 10/10/22 07:36 PM

Ouch!
I hate to hear that. Glad your son is OK.

Besides the body and paint, hopefully any mechanical is minor luck
Posted By: topside

Re: Well plans were for an easy winter - 10/10/22 09:08 PM

Dang - agree with the rest of y'all, including some kind of donation deal as some way to honor a valued member.

Re: Well plans were for an easy winter - 10/10/22 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by topside
Dang - agree with the rest of y'all, including some kind of donation deal as some way to honor a valued member.

Honestly I appreciate it but I would rather you guys buy something for your projects. A friend offered me a fender for 50.00 but I don’t think there’s one body part I can’t fix and reuse. I get easily bored on project so I can hope around this winter to keep me moving. We have a Halloween make up race at keystone the end of this month that if I got myself moving on it I could probably race at. I’ll have it in the shop tonight and get a good look at the front suspension tomorrow. Thanks again for the kind words and the offers but if I get to the point I can’t support my hobbies I’ll go fishing.
Posted By: topside

Re: Well plans were for an easy winter - 10/10/22 11:04 PM

I like my stuff to be as nice as if it was a car show, but it might be fun to leave the scrapes for the next race...just to mess with the guy's head next to you...

Re: Well plans were for an easy winter - 10/10/22 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by topside
I like my stuff to be as nice as if it was a car show, but it might be fun to leave the scrapes for the next race...just to mess with the guy's head next to you...

Never thought of that. Lol.
Posted By: B1duster

Re: Well plans were for an easy winter - 10/10/22 11:38 PM

Sorry man, that sucks. Thank god your son wasn’t hurt or it wasn’t worse.
I did the same thing to my old yellow duster yrs ago at Hampton dragway.
At the time it cost $2k to get the side fixed up.
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Well plans were for an easy winter - 10/11/22 12:04 AM

Dang.

Glad he's ok 👍
Get the fast car done.
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Well plans were for an easy winter - 10/11/22 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by FastmOp
Dang.

Glad he's ok 👍
Get the fast car done.

X2! Glad he didn't get hurt John!
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Well plans were for an easy winter - 10/11/22 10:42 AM

Very good to hear your son is ok, car damage relatively light! 🤕
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: Well plans were for an easy winter - 10/11/22 04:37 PM

Damn sorry John but you guys will get ;er done and better than ever.
Posted By: Kiddart

Re: Well plans were for an easy winter - 10/11/22 05:02 PM

dang that sucks, cars can be fixed, glad your son was able to walk away an get back in the seat quickly!!
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Well plans were for an easy winter - 10/11/22 05:06 PM

Ouch.....Glad the kid is ok....Car looks a little worse for wear....Fixable though, I don't think its going to just buff out.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Well plans were for an easy winter - 10/11/22 05:12 PM

Hate to see this! Glad your son didn't get hurt and the car isn't too bad. Sure sounds like it was on a pass though!!!

Re: Well plans were for an easy winter - 10/22/22 08:14 PM

Well the frontend is all back together and suspension damage came to 30.00 for the plate that connects the strut to the steering rack. And I just happened to have that part and have been carrying it in two different car trailers for years. The one on the passenger side is the one that got bent bad. I have the toe set very close but I may have to tweek it a hair or two before I put the frontend back on. We have a makeup Halloween race at keystone I may try to make next weekend

Attached picture AC48282D-2540-410C-93A7-B8B96C75767E.jpeg
Attached picture F61D73B2-72DD-4978-B44E-9754DDDB8AF5.jpeg
Posted By: moparx

Re: Well plans were for an easy winter - 10/23/22 04:58 PM

if you straightened that piece, then welded a vertical piece on the bottom, say 1 1/2"[ish] x ?? long [tapered on each end] x ?? thickness of material, would that strengthen that piece enough so it wouldn't happen again ?
i know that plate is only $30.00, but i'm just looking at the damage, and thinking of how to prevent something like that from happening in the future.
i guess i just like to overbuild proven parts that realistically don't need to be.
beer

Re: Well plans were for an easy winter - 10/23/22 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by moparx
if you straightened that piece, then welded a vertical piece on the bottom, say 1 1/2"[ish] x ?? long [tapered on each end] x ?? thickness of material, would that strengthen that piece enough so it wouldn't happen again ?
i know that plate is only $30.00, but i'm just looking at the damage, and thinking of how to prevent something like that from happening in the future.
i guess i just like to overbuild proven parts that realistically don't need to be.
beer

Ya my buddy owns a chassis shop and recommended these which I may do as a winter project. I had one spare and would like to get some hits in this year so it’s good to go for now.

https://www.advancedchassisllc.net/product-p/ack-48.htm

Re: Well plans were for an easy winter - 10/23/22 06:42 PM

Here’s a video that Quaker City posted up. The door opening up was my sons fault.

https://m.facebook.com/quakercitymotorsportspark/
Posted By: OUTLAWSSAA

Re: Well plans were for an easy winter - 10/24/22 04:39 PM

Nice wheelie. I commend him for keeping his foot in it. You have to have the ability or sense to know if the car is going strait when it is in the air.

Re: Well plans were for an easy winter - 10/24/22 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by OUTLAWSSAA
Nice wheelie. I commend him for keeping his foot in it. You have to have the ability or sense to know if the car is going strait when it is in the air.

Ya my kid did a pretty good job. Frontend is all finished up and I took the rear bumper off to start on it today

Attached picture 6E50A412-B32E-4058-841B-0D87224C255F.jpeg
Attached picture 5D51781F-2792-4FB6-A6EB-2B540C0D78B6.jpeg
Posted By: EvilB1Dart

Re: Well plans were for an easy winter - 10/26/22 11:07 PM

That sucks, man. Glad your son is okay, and hopefully overall damage is nothing super expensive.
© 2024 Moparts Forums