Moparts

Interesting Gasket maker comparison

Posted By: tman

Interesting Gasket maker comparison - 10/10/22 08:40 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACIzlSanS60&t=10s
Posted By: fastmark

Re: Interesting Gasket maker comparison - 10/10/22 10:35 AM

Wow. That was interesting. Looks like I need to stop my Permatex Right Stuff and go with the Mopar sealant. It’s cheaper and better. Especially with the sealing test.
Posted By: earlymopar

Re: Interesting Gasket maker comparison - 10/10/22 11:43 AM

Where is the Mopar sealant available?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Interesting Gasket maker comparison - 10/10/22 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by fastmark
Wow. That was interesting. Looks like I need to stop my Permatex Right Stuff and go with the Mopar sealant. It’s cheaper and better. Especially with the sealing test.

I wonder how many different silicone makers Mopar has used over the years to make theirs work
Posted By: CJD AUTOMOTIVE

Re: Interesting Gasket maker comparison - 10/11/22 01:07 PM

Absolutely nothing beats the Mopar RTV for sealing transmission pans for ATF, that is what it was designed for. They used to have a specific ATF RTV and an Engine RTV that was grey. When the Threebond came out, Mopar just relabeled the ATF RTV as simply RTV, and the grey Engine RTV went away. It has always been my go to for pretty much everything until Mopar starting using ThreeBond RTV on the 3.6 engine. Threebond is pretty amazing for aluminum to aluminum sealing needing RTV without a gasket. If you use Threebond, be prepared to fight the two parts to get them apart, about twice the effort of the Mopar RTV. I still use both on engines, transmissions and differentials, reserving the Mopar RTV for dissimilar metal sealing, anything with ATF, or anything that gets regular maintenance. I use Threebond on aluminum to aluminum sealing that I don't want to leak...ever!
Posted By: wingman

Re: Interesting Gasket maker comparison - 10/11/22 01:11 PM

I'm not a big Youtube guy, but that Project Farm guy is awesome!!!!

He does comparisons like that with all kinds of tools, supplies, and other items.

Very objective, very thorough, and very well organized.

Before I go buy a tool of any type now the first thing I doo is check Project Farm to see if he has done a test on it. I just chose a knife sharpener rig based on his results.

I suggest you check out some of his videos!
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: Interesting Gasket maker comparison - 10/11/22 04:36 PM

Excellent! Thanks for sharing! I have used the mopar stuff for years, I put that shxt on everything. But somewhere someone commented that the supplier/vendor could change at any time in the name of saving a PENNY.

Re: Interesting Gasket maker comparison - 10/11/22 07:09 PM

I bought one tube of the Mopar brand grey RTV, it hardened up the complete tube after using it once with the cap on down
Posted By: B1duster

Re: Interesting Gasket maker comparison - 10/13/22 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
I bought one tube of the Mopar brand grey RTV, it hardened up the complete tube after using it once with the cap on down

Yea but it was harder than hardened up permatex
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Interesting Gasket maker comparison - 10/13/22 02:26 AM

Back in the 1970’s I was sponsored by a local speed shop. The owner and his son were ford guys so between them, a few Chevy guys, and several Mopar guys we used to banter back and forth pretty good. Well I had the speed shop owner order me a can of brush in intake gasket sealer that I really liked. Well we were all there when he was unboxing the order and went to hand me my Direct Connection gasket sealer. He said hey wait a minute and peeled off a Ford Motorsports sticker under the Direct Connection sticker. We all had a good laugh at that one.
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: Interesting Gasket maker comparison - 10/13/22 02:36 AM

Rock hard now but this is the best ive ever used.

Attached picture DSC00227.JPG
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Interesting Gasket maker comparison - 10/13/22 03:14 AM

I have mopar gray sealing my headers.
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Interesting Gasket maker comparison - 10/13/22 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by earlymopar
Where is the Mopar sealant available?

Good question.
Posted By: Rapid588

Re: Interesting Gasket maker comparison - 10/13/22 12:20 PM

I have ordered it off Amazon ... about $22 on there

Re: Interesting Gasket maker comparison - 10/14/22 01:37 AM

Mopar car dealership parts counters scope up
Maybe on Summits site also if you can get the correct Mopar part number: confused:
Posted By: DynoDave

Re: Interesting Gasket maker comparison - 10/14/22 05:13 AM

Good stuff! Thanks for posting that.
Posted By: earlymopar

Re: Interesting Gasket maker comparison - 10/14/22 11:18 AM

I found Mancini had it on sale for something like $10.50 each.
© 2024 Moparts Forums