Moparts

external oil lines

Posted By: BigFish69

external oil lines - 09/29/22 02:31 AM

What is the best quality fitting and hose for external oil lines.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: external oil lines - 09/29/22 02:59 AM

Aeroquip. Fragola. I like the lightweight nomex or nylon hose. Or you can use the stainless braid stuff.

The Fragola nylon has a single layer of wire braid in it, making it tougher with a slight weight increase.

Whichever you use, do not mix and match hose and ends between manufacturers.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: external oil lines - 09/29/22 04:03 AM

Which lines are you asking about?
Oil pan to oil pump pickup lines or ?
Regardless of the application make sure and use Teflon line PTFE lines for the heat and pressures on oil lines twocents
Posted By: AndyF

Re: external oil lines - 09/29/22 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by BigFish69
What is the best quality fitting and hose for external oil lines.

I use Aeroquip on most everything. They usually have what I need and they have a very wide selection of parts. Summit carries most of the Aeroquip stuff so I can get it fairly quickly. There is also a couple of large Aeroquip dealers within 20 miles of my shop so I can go there is something isn't available at Summit.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: external oil lines - 09/29/22 12:25 PM

Whatever I have on the shelf when I need to make one. I have a mixture of Aeroquip, Jegs, Fragola, and some Summit hose ends. Usually use the Jegs or Summit house brand stainless braided hose...the normal stuff, not PTFE. Never had an issue w/ any of my lines on the oil side. Fuel lines I've had to replace a couple once they get over 10 years old and develop pinholes.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: external oil lines - 09/29/22 02:21 PM

I run mostly Fragola's black nylon hose on my cars. I wrapped it with heat wrap because of how close it come to my headers.

Attached picture rsz_20160414_201129.jpg

Re: external oil lines - 09/29/22 04:44 PM

Once you plumb something with the lightweight stuff - Aeroquip Startlite or Fragola Black Nylon hose - you won't ever want to use external stainless braid again.

PTFE lined is the way to go. Once you get into the bigger stuff - > -8 - you have less options. Fragola Racerite is the good stuff and is available up to -16. But, it is for crimp ends only and gets to be $30/ft.

But, you did say "best", not "cheap".
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: external oil lines - 09/29/22 04:50 PM

Speaking of oil lines I’m pretty sure on my heads up car I’m having a change of plans. After running a dual line pickup for years I think I’m switching to a single line setup. Pretty tight on this car and I see many of you guys running a single line system with lots of success.

Re: external oil lines - 09/29/22 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

Speaking of oil lines I’m pretty sure on my heads up car I’m having a change of plans. After running a dual line pickup for years I think I’m switching to a single line setup. Pretty tight on this car and I see many of you guys running a single line system with lots of success.

No problems w/ a simple single line static pickup system here. My "new" pan, if I ever get motivated to put it on. will be a single line also, but w/ a swinging pickup.
Current setup on top.
"New" pan on the bottom.

Attached picture 66.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2995.jpg
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: external oil lines - 09/29/22 05:08 PM

I use Fragola on everything. American made and a huge selection of fittings and hose. Summit carries a large selection of Fragola hose and fittings in stock. I prefer the lite black nylon stuff if you want some added security they sell internal springs for things like oil lines. FWIW I have NEVER run a dual line set up. All three of our current deals are single -16 lines pretty much all I have used for years.
Posted By: Tig

Re: external oil lines - 09/29/22 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda

No problems w/ a simple single line static pickup system here. My "new" pan, if I ever get motivated to put it on. will be a single line also, but w/ a swinging pickup.
Current setup on top.
"New" pan on the bottom.

Dude, I need one of those Charlies pans real bad grin

Re: external oil lines - 09/29/22 05:37 PM

The dual line advantage is it provides a feed to both sides of the pump gears. The theory is it makes it easier for oil to fill that void as the pump rotates and prevent cavatation. Making it easier to get oil in on the suction side, makes the pump more efficient.

An idea that was presented in some of the old Direct Connection books and used on some small block stuff you obtained from some dummy a few years ago.

Re: external oil lines - 09/29/22 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Tig
Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda

Current setup on top.
"New" pan on the bottom.

Dude, I need one of those Charlies pans real bad grin

I looked for one for a long time! Found this one on ebay...guy was converting his challenger from drag only back to a street car and didn't want this pan anymore.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: external oil lines - 09/29/22 05:46 PM

Some of use oldtimers are stockpiling those oil pans because they became hard to find.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: external oil lines - 09/29/22 05:54 PM

Since Charlies has gone out f business again good luck finding one. There are an alternatives for sure. One is Shortys Perfromance Fabrcation in Clovis, CA, they do great work that is 100% better than charlies.
© 2024 Moparts Forums