Moparts

Indy SR or INDY-1, how to tell what I have

Posted By: Moparnut426

Indy SR or INDY-1, how to tell what I have - 09/26/22 01:39 PM

Customer bought a engine, brought me a bunch of parts, brand new indy heads, but I have no paper work on them, and nothing telling me what they are. I thought the SR used all stock top end components, but the -1 uses offset rockers. are there any markings or cast numbers on them? They are currently at the machine shop getting set up for solid roller, so I dont have them in front of me.

I thought the Indy-1 used special studs too.

Any info is greatly apreciated.

Kasey
Posted By: sixpakdodge

Re: Indy SR or INDY-1, how to tell what I have - 09/26/22 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Moparnut426
I thought the SR used all stock top end components, but the -1 uses offset rockers.

Correct.

The SR can also use the offset rocker though. As far as markings...I think only if they've been CNC'ed. Otherwise you're at the mercy of measuring everything to try and figure out what they are. Both heads use the same studs/bolts.

Re: Indy SR or INDY-1, how to tell what I have - 09/26/22 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by sixpakdodge
I thought the SR used all stock top end components, but the -1 uses offset rockers.

Correct.

The SR can also use the offset rocker though. As far as markings...I think only if they've been CNC'ed. Otherwise you're at the mercy of measuring everything to try and figure out what they are. Both heads use the same studs/bolts.

So I can run the standard rockers on a SR or -1 head?

Re: Indy SR or INDY-1, how to tell what I have - 09/26/22 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by sixpakdodge

Correct.

Would a picture help? Ive got 3, nothing into the intake ports though

Re: Indy SR or INDY-1, how to tell what I have - 09/26/22 02:26 PM

heres some pics

Attached picture indy heads 3.jpg
Attached picture Indy heads 2.jpg
Attached picture Indy heads 1.jpg
Posted By: sixpakdodge

Re: Indy SR or INDY-1, how to tell what I have - 09/26/22 03:03 PM

Those look like -1's because there is no pushrod clearance in the side of the intake port. They need an offset rocker, you cannot use a normal rocker on the -1 intake side.
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Indy SR or INDY-1, how to tell what I have - 09/26/22 03:12 PM

For sure 440-1 heads.

Re: Indy SR or INDY-1, how to tell what I have - 09/26/22 03:20 PM

Thanks guys!!

Ill get the expensive rockers coming LOL

Do I go ahead and use the "indy" specific head studs also then? Mancini shows 2 different ones I assume the deck is thicker on a -1
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Indy SR or INDY-1, how to tell what I have - 09/26/22 04:11 PM

Thanks guys!!

Ill get the expensive rockers coming LOL

Do I go ahead and use the "indy" specific head studs also then? Mancini shows 2 different ones I assume the deck is thicker on a -1

The 572-13, and 600-13 heads use taller studs. The 440-1's and SR, use the same set, and are taller than stock type heads.

Re: Indy SR or INDY-1, how to tell what I have - 09/26/22 06:29 PM

thanks
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Indy SR or INDY-1, how to tell what I have - 09/26/22 07:03 PM

The SR heads intake ports narrow down around the pushrod pinch area like the stock M.W .heaads do, the 440-1 don't scope up
I think some of the early SR heads had 440 cast on the rocker arm pedestal on one end or the other and the 440-1 had that cast into them in the same place, maybe not confused
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Indy SR or INDY-1, how to tell what I have - 09/26/22 07:34 PM

This pic is an older 440-1 head, but the locations are the same.
The 440-SR will have a pushrod hole machined in the side of the port casting (yellow circle). So the inside of the port can't be as wide at that location.
The 440-1 will have the pushrod go outside the port casting (blue circle).

Attached picture Indy_440-SR_pushrods.jpg
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Indy SR or INDY-1, how to tell what I have - 09/26/22 10:30 PM

See anything like this ... on the intake mounting surface

Attached picture IMG_1185 (2020_01_02 15_11_18 UTC)a.jpg
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Indy SR or INDY-1, how to tell what I have - 09/27/22 12:26 AM

I found this old pic I have.
It is an Indy 440-SR and you can see the Indy pushrod hole machined in the side of the port casting.

Attached picture IndySR_top.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums