Moparts

Tunnel Ram Carbs

Posted By: clovis

Tunnel Ram Carbs - 09/24/22 03:55 PM

Moparty turned out to be great weekend, I got to spend a couple of days with my dad and was able to add to my low deck intake collection- (2) Holley Street Dominators, M1 4500, and a Weiand Tunnel Ram. I also picked up a couple of cheap 1850 for the tunnel ram. When I got home I had a RS Demon on the bench and couldn’t remember if two 4150 would fit back to back on the tunnel ram which they won’t but I got the bright idea of trying to see if I put a 4160 bowl on the ends that butt together if they would fit and they will. I pulled the pump bowls from the 1850’s and started mocking it up. The way I am currently thinking to route the fuel, I will have to use both sides of one of the center hung bowls to get fuel to the other side to get it to the short bowl (see picture). I guess I can always run a tee and an extra line but thought this would be cleaner. The primary reason I am trying to work this out, is to be able to run two annular booster carbs without having to turn them sideways and deal with the complicated (and expensive) throttle system and being forced to run 1:1 linkage. I have all the parts to make both Demons annular boosters with the 1.425 (blue sleeve).

Has anyone tried this before or is there an inherent problem I’m not accounting for (like I can’t get enough fuel across the center hung bowl to feed the other bowl)?

Thanks for the help.

Attached picture 6A1B5537-B859-49CA-B1A3-ECDA0B872B9D.jpeg
Posted By: B1MAXX

Re: Tunnel Ram Carbs - 09/25/22 01:25 PM

What about the transfer tube hole?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Tunnel Ram Carbs - 09/25/22 04:16 PM

I would use the stock 1850 (as long as they have the same list # on the, IE1850, 1850-1 through what ever the last list - number was that Holley used on them) and buy the kit or make one yourself, to tie the two secondary vacuum pods together so they both open together twocents
The stock fuel transfer tubes should work fine on your deal like it has on many other tunnel rams using those stock Holley single inlet carbs back in the day scopeup wrench
Posted By: Hot 340

Re: Tunnel Ram Carbs - 09/25/22 05:19 PM

Tunnelram sideways linkage is less than $200 in places...used to be DIRT cheap last year from Barnett's eBay last year but they closing up or downsizing. Or scrounge up some 6109 bowls...heck, 6109 carbs would be nice
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Tunnel Ram Carbs - 09/25/22 09:15 PM

Sideways mounted in much easier.

Attached picture IMG_8666.jpg
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Tunnel Ram Carbs - 09/25/22 09:25 PM

I remember seeing a transfer tube on a factory Holley dual feed from a Cobra Jet Mustang before. I think a found a pic.

Gus beer

Attached picture mustang carb.jpg
Posted By: clovis

Re: Tunnel Ram Carbs - 09/25/22 10:13 PM

Savoy, thanks for the picture, as that does answer what I was asking. It actually has me processing the idea of making a hard line from some brake line, but I think I may have enough fittings already to make it up in a braided line.

I will have to plug the transfer tube, which I did stick an 1/8” NPT tap in the hole it seemed like it would work. I’ll do some measuring just to confirm. I was hoping I could tap them without having to drill out the step for where transfer tube sits, so in case it didn’t work I can go to plan B and just run the 1850’s. A gentlemen that goes by “Tuner” over on Speed-Talk has a recipe for modifying the blocks in the 1850 and adding the balance tube which is supposed to help. Based on how well the other information I have used from him has worked, I would give his recipe a try.

I have had a tunnel ram on the car before with the 451, and used the 1850’s then switched to the 4224. The 4224 picked up a tenth, so for the cost to buy a pair now I would stick with the 1850’s.

I did quick search in ebay and there are some linkages now for around $100, so that may be a solid plan C. Again, I was hopping not to have to go that route since it not only has extra expense for the linkage, but would require more cut in the hood (already cut for inline) and possibly a different scoop.

Thanks again for all the help.
Posted By: B1MAXX

Re: Tunnel Ram Carbs - 09/26/22 12:29 AM

If you tap the transfer tube holes it will work. But then there is no turning back with those bowls.
© 2024 Moparts Forums