Moparts

SB race block and heads ID?

Posted By: AndyF

SB race block and heads ID? - 09/12/22 05:59 PM

I think these are W5 heads and the block is a race block but not sure if it is an R block or a later version? The casting numbers are different than the Mopar numbers so it gets confusing.

Attached picture IMG_0964 (Large).JPG
Attached picture IMG_0965 (Large).JPG
Posted By: DusterW2

Re: SB race block and heads ID? - 09/12/22 06:24 PM

Block is a mopar X block. Should have an X cast on the passenger
side front of block below the deck surface. Block precedes
the R block series. It has filled in pan rails, thicker deck
and bore thickness.

Re: SB race block and heads ID? - 09/12/22 08:05 PM

Okay, I'll look for the X. I was told by the owner that it was an R block but the part number didn't match up. The owner said it was an R block with W9 heads but I'm thinking now that it is an X block with W5 heads.
Posted By: rickraw

Re: SB race block and heads ID? - 09/12/22 08:42 PM

I believe r blocks have an r on the pass side front near the deck. Those aren’t w9’s.
Posted By: usp4u

Re: SB race block and heads ID? - 09/12/22 08:57 PM

X or R blocks will have a designator cast into the RT front.
X
R
R1
R1A
R2
R3
R4
R5

The casting #s are virtually useless given the amounts of variations that were available. A couple of my R blocks have actual "P" part numbers die stamped on them, but I dont recall where at.

There are a few variants of W5s....post some more pics of the heads. Particularly the rocker lay-out and the ends of the heads.

The world of R blocks is a total rabbit hole. Chrysler screwed up more than a few. Ive seen them with undrilled oil galleys. I currently have 5 of them, including one of the ones that got sold with the wrong cam tunnel down
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: SB race block and heads ID? - 09/12/22 09:42 PM

Ryan Johnson's web page used to have a lot of good info about the different blocks. I have an R1 59* and it is an oddball because it takes the 340 oil pan where most take the 360.

There is a web archive of his FAQ page that has some info.

https://web.archive.org/web/20050206201421/http://shadydellspeedshop.com/faq.htm
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: SB race block and heads ID? - 09/12/22 11:04 PM

That's the same casting number as a run of the mill 318 block... should be able to see a big X on the front.

I bought a 318 one time because I assumed it was the x block when he told me it had 4.070 bore pistons in it and a rod knock, I told him if it did have 4.070 pistons in it I would buy it and sure enough it was 4.070 but it was not an X block, the bare block weighed only 122 LBS, it had 12.5 forged pistons, forged crank and huge cam but the cylinders were fine.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: SB race block and heads ID? - 09/13/22 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by AndyF
Okay, I'll look for the X. I was told by the owner that it was an R block but the part number didn't match up. The owner said it was an R block with W9 heads but I'm thinking now that it is an X block with W5 heads.

No guessing about the heads, they say W5 right on them.
Block will have a huge X on the left front side( if looking at it from the front of the car) if it’s an X block. Otherwise it’s just a 318.
The X and 318 do both come with same bore size, 3.91
Posted By: krautrock

Re: SB race block and heads ID? - 09/13/22 04:16 PM

quick google image search...is this what an X block looks like?

https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/318-340-race-x-block.460755/
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: SB race block and heads ID? - 09/13/22 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by krautrock
quick google image search...is this what an X block looks like?

https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/318-340-race-x-block.460755/

Yes

Re: SB race block and heads ID? - 09/20/22 01:21 AM

It is an X block. I looked at it again today and the X is obvious now that I know what to look for. Owner said it was an R block but obviously he didn't notice the big X on the front.

Attached picture IMG_0993 (Large).JPG
Posted By: justinp61

Re: SB race block and heads ID? - 09/20/22 01:39 AM

X block with W5 heads.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: SB race block and heads ID? - 09/20/22 02:22 AM

Hope he didn’t pay R block W9 price for that! laugh2
© 2024 Moparts Forums