Moparts

Hemi Main Bearings

Posted By: 6PakBee

Hemi Main Bearings - 08/29/22 06:39 PM

With all the options available for bearings, what brand/type would be the equivalent of the OEM bearing used in the second generation Hemi?
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Hemi Main Bearings - 08/29/22 10:33 PM

I use King Bearings in my Hemi.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Hemi Main Bearings - 08/30/22 12:53 AM

I like and now use the Federal Mogul narrow groove truck main bearings, M4500.
the original wide street hemi bearings had too much oil clearances and don't have the wider surface area to support the crank like the better narrow full groove truck bearings do: scope: up twocents
Posted By: rumblefish72

Re: Hemi Main Bearings - 08/30/22 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by 6PKRTSE

X2 , Muscle Motors put King main bearings in my G2 Hemi build back in 2017
Posted By: metallicareload

Re: Hemi Main Bearings - 08/30/22 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by rumblefish72
Originally Posted by 6PKRTSE

X2 , Muscle Motors put King main bearings in my G2 Hemi build back in 2017

That's gotta be one of the last engines those guys built up drive
Posted By: rumblefish72

Re: Hemi Main Bearings - 08/30/22 12:45 PM

They were cleaning out the building when I picked it up in June 2017. It probably was the last Hemi build they assembled and dynoed. I was very happy when they gave me the call to come get it.

Re: Hemi Main Bearings - 08/30/22 01:31 PM

Thanks guys, appreciate the info. up
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: Hemi Main Bearings - 08/30/22 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
I like and now use the Federal Mogul narrow groove truck main bearings, M4500.
the original wide street hemi bearings had too much oil clearances and don't have the wider surface area to support the crank like the better narrow full groove truck bearings do: scope: up twocents

Cab, are you sure about that number?

Re: Hemi Main Bearings - 08/30/22 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by rickseeman

Cab, are you sure about that number?

I'm glad you ask, I was wrong.
The correct number is 4095M for the full narrow groove truck H.D. Seal Power Brand main bearings for RB blocks.

Re: Hemi Main Bearings - 08/30/22 04:44 PM

The Clevite MS1795V is one. The Federal Mogul/Sealed Power M4095 is fully grooved. Speed Pro 119M is another. There is also King. You didn't say if you were using an old Street Hemi block or a new one. The new blocks can use large thrust if you want it. Clevite MS-1277HG is large thrust fully grooved but I haven't test fit to see if it will clear a large radius crank in case you are using one.

Re: Hemi Main Bearings - 08/30/22 06:51 PM

The Clevite MS1795V is one. The Federal Mogul/Sealed Power M4095 is fully grooved. Speed Pro 119M is another. There is also King. You didn't say if you were using an old Street Hemi block or a new one. The new blocks can use large thrust if you want it. Clevite MS-1277HG is large thrust fully grooved but I haven't test fit to see if it will clear a large radius crank in case you are using one.

This would be a '66 casting original block. I didn't think the OEM bearing was fully grooved. Am I under a misconception?

Re: Hemi Main Bearings - 08/30/22 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by 6PakBee
[quote=rickseeman]

This would be a '66 casting original block. I didn't think the OEM bearing was fully grooved. Am I under a misconception?
All the M.W and hemi motors came with the Clevite wide full groove main bearings with .003+ oil clearances up
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Hemi Main Bearings - 08/30/22 08:33 PM

Good info in this thread , now I have to see which bearings I used in my circa 2005 Crate hemi , if it can use the later large thrust I guess I'll be changing it as the car it is slated for is a drive

Re: Hemi Main Bearings - 08/30/22 08:35 PM

In a normal application anything would probably work fine. If you want fully grooved (that's what the Mopar Hemi book says to use) then Sealed Power/Federal Mogul full groove main bearings 4095M or the Clevite MS-2324P is full groove. The MS-2324P is a TM-77 (Tri-Metal) which is what the OEM Hemi bearings were.
Posted By: A727Tflite

Re: Hemi Main Bearings - 08/30/22 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by 6PakBee
With all the options available for bearings, what brand/type would be the equivalent of the OEM bearing used in the second generation Hemi?

When picking your bearing make sure you look at the technical info for those bearings and compare it to your actual journal diameters.

Some of the wide full groove bearings give you extra clearance. Low speed oil pressure will generally be lower than the narrow groove bearing.
Posted By: mr_340

Re: Hemi Main Bearings - 08/31/22 01:55 AM

For Reference Only. I'd download the Mahle/Clevite performance bearing catalog and review their recommendations.

https://www.mahle-aftermarket.com/na/en/catalogs-and-literature/catalog-pdfs/

EB-40-16 catalog. Page 19 has some good info on groove designs on main bearings.
Posted By: Brad_Haak

Re: Hemi Main Bearings - 08/31/22 02:35 PM

... Federal Mogul/Sealed Power M4095 is fully grooved. Speed Pro 119M is another...

M4095 is a "narrow" 360* groove; the 119M is a "wide" 3/4 groove (although it's more like 5/8 IMO). I prefer the 119M, but that's an opinion not based on any comparative data.
Posted By: 572charger

Re: Hemi Main Bearings - 09/04/22 12:22 PM

119m in my hemi
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: Hemi Main Bearings - 09/04/22 07:43 PM

Ray Barton sold me the clevite/Mahle MS-1795V for the 572 street/strip built. Not to steal the show here, but what bearing clearance is best with aluminum block/steel caps?

Re: Hemi Main Bearings - 09/05/22 04:00 AM

It is probably way better to have too much oil clearance on the mains when cold than a tiny bit too little when it is warmed up work twocents
I will shoot for .0030+ up to .0045 cold on my new aluminum KB street wedge block main bearings up twocents
© 2024 Moparts Forums