Moparts

75-80 Dragway Pics

Posted By: Kevins493

75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/12/08 09:09 PM

Since it was a nice day I figured I'd take a look at what became of 75-80. As many of you know, it closed in 2005, but as these pics show, it looks as though it's been closed for 15 years, not 3.

Ticket booth on the pit side. This is where you got your tech card. Note the "Keep Out" sign. Lawfish, please don't arrest me.
After I ducked under the gate, I was able to take these pictures:

Pits to the left of the gate. In the distance you can see the shutdown area. Directly in front of the shutdown area is where most of the people I know used to pit. If you have really good vision (and if the pic's good enough) you can probably just see the ticket booth where you would've picked up your timeslip.

Another view of the pits showing the scoreboard. In the background is the covered spectator area. Just to the left of the scoreboard (and far enough behind it to be out of the picture) is the go-cart track. The building off to the right is the concession stand. The staging lanes would've overflowed into the foreground on most weekends.

Staging lanes. To the left is the timing tower and the grandstands. From left to right would've been test/tune, trophy, street, pro, and s/pro. racers had to make a 180 degree turn onto the track. People used to park along the fence to the right and stand on their trucks to watch for free.

Turn onto track. To the right is the burnout box. All cars had to back into the burnout box. Spectators used to stand behind it (I guess it was one of the few tracks that would let you do that. Dragsters using lane 1 had to turn into lane 2 and back up because the turn was so sharp. Wilcom didn't change a thing since the track was built, and it obviously wasn't meant for modern rails or anything as fast as what was run there for that matter.
View down the track. Tower closest on the left was just a timing tower where the computers,etc that ran the chrondek (they never changed it) timing system was located. The tower farthest away was where the announcer sat. The track had a short shutdown area; the top of that hill was the end. Return road ran through the woods before re-entering the pits at the 1/4 mile finish.

View down lane 2. Some members here might remember this view.

View of starting line showing where the famous shack the starter sat in was (between the guardrails and the wall down the middle of the track.) The chair the starter sat on is still there, rusting away.

Jr. dragster staging lanes. I still remember my first time sitting here, waiting for my first run. The jr. dragster pit area is in the background. The bathroom is off to the left.

Spectator side grandstands. The only things here that reveal how recent this track was open are the signs.

To the left of the grandstands. The building with the red covered windows was the concession stand on the spectator side. Again, the covered area was spectator seating. The jr.dragster return road is completely overgrown.

Timing tower/ announcer's booth still has track logo painted on. If I would've taken pics of the spectator entrance they had an old-style coke sign, which probably wasn't changed since the '60s either.

Anyone hungry? Track menue- pit side.

Get your chili cheese dogs here. You 75-80 racers know what I'm talking about. Everyone else doesn't have any idea what they missed out on.
And so ends our tour of 75-80. Didn't want to stay too long since I don't know any cops in frederick county....
Posted By: Bill_LBSR

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/12/08 09:33 PM

I could definately go for a chili cheese dog right about now. Sad to see that place like that. Wish they would do something with it instead of it just sitting there getting overgrown with weeds.
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/12/08 09:36 PM

Allmost sad to look at..Why did it close? can't someone save it ? I would cry if our's ever got like that..
Posted By: BradH

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/12/08 09:54 PM

If it was still open, it would be the closest 1/4 mile track to my home. I won't lie and say it was the best (or my favorite) track around here, but having it open beats it turning into another weed-infested chunk of abandoned real estate.

I'd heard from a friend who still lives close to the track is that it was supposed to be turned into another new housing development, so I'm a bit over the lack of construction activity since it closed.

Oh, and those chili-cheese dogs were killer!
Posted By: a493demon

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/12/08 09:54 PM

cool pics.
Posted By: 69Cuda340S

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/12/08 09:55 PM

I used to work with Ron Wilcom, one of the owners sons. He said his dad was totally burned out from running the place for so many years. His dad worked like every weekend for like 40 years or something crazy like that. No one else in the family wanted to run it and he didn't want to hire someone to run it. So he shut it down. I haven't talked to Ron in a few years but I believe the Wilcoms still own all the property and its not for sale. They also own a lot of property that surrounds the drag strip too.

Really sad to see it shut down because I would get there in less then an hour from where I live.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/12/08 09:57 PM

If you watch Motor Week on Maryland Public Television they still do their drag strip testing there.
Posted By: 340_Dart

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/12/08 09:59 PM

Hey Kevin, Nice pics.... It's sad seeing old 75-80 in that condition... That's what land developers and condo's do to our tracks. I never got a chance to race there, only spectate.
My dad always tells stories of driving his 69 hemi roadrunner down there in the early 70's on a wednesday night, racing, and then driving home that night to be at work the next morning (approx. 100 miles each way)...

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/12/08 10:58 PM

It is about 25 min. from my house..I know Bill had cancer for awhile and I heard that's why he closed it. Could be wrong. The land will never pass all the environmental tests they do before you build on it. If y'all wanna invest, I can reopen it. As it sits it probably needs to be repaved, basically everything will have to be rebuilt so you can get NHRA to sanction it and to get insurance.

Of course we can just go in with a weedwacker and clear it out so we can have flashight drags.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/12/08 11:23 PM

Quote:

I used to work with Ron Wilcom, one of the owners sons. He said his dad was totally burned out from running the place for so many years. His dad worked like every weekend for like 40 years or something crazy like that. No one else in the family wanted to run it and he didn't want to hire someone to run it. So he shut it down. I haven't talked to Ron in a few years but I believe the Wilcoms still own all the property and its not for sale. They also own a lot of property that surrounds the drag strip too.

Really sad to see it shut down because I would get there in less then an hour from where I live.

This is the truth. I talked to Bill the last day the track was open. Truely a sad day for me. Bill was pumping gas and I asked how come you are closing? You are always packed. He said this is why.... I can't get any help. I guess when the owner of the track is pumping gas on the last day his track is open that says something. Shame. My dad and his freinds raced there, I raced there I was hoping my son could too. Not sure if it's for sale but I could find out. I would gladly front some cash to re-open it. Say what you want, it was fun.
Posted By: GODSCOUNTRY340

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/13/08 12:09 AM

I heard the track was to be sold to a housing developer but once the developer learned he was not going to be able to get any building permits the deal fell through. Too many new homes going up in Frederick County, not enough water for them all. There are rumors the track may re-open.
Posted By: wheelsup68dart

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/13/08 12:18 AM

Don't exactly know the layout of MD, or the tracks, but how much distance separates MIR and 75-80? It is a shame to see this track be closed, really looks like a decent layout.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/13/08 12:21 AM

Lots of Friday and Saturday nights spent there, lots of races over the years. I had to go the last weekend for a "Thanks for the Memories" shirt. It's sad but I guess all thing must pass. Don't expect to see it opened. RIP 75&80.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/13/08 12:26 AM

Quote:

I heard the track was to be sold to a housing developer but once the developer learned he was not going to be able to get any building permits the deal fell through. Too many new homes going up in Frederick County, not enough water for them all. There are rumors the track may re-open.

That is very interesting because I was just talking to a guy in my neighborhood that has a 383 dart. He said his brother is friendly with the current owner (land's been sold twice since it closed) and said the current owner is talking about re-opening.
Lonnie, they gotta be 2 hrs apart. MIR is 1hr 45 min from me, 75-80 is 25 min almost the opposite direction. Capitol is a decent track 45 min east of me (75-80 is west of me). Mason Dixon is another 35-40 min west of 75-80. Cecil County is way in the northeast corner of Maryland and is over an hour away.
Posted By: Dartcuda

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/13/08 02:05 AM

That is correct . There is the rumor that plans are being made to reopen but as a 1/8 mile track . Original owner would have to be involved for necessary permits.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/13/08 02:09 AM

Were they gonna repave or was the shutdown the issue??

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/13/08 02:30 AM

That would be awesome if it were reopened...
Posted By: calrobb2000

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/13/08 04:09 AM

hi
had one of the coolest anuel mopar events there every year :

car show

drag racing

flea mkt

burn out contest

also always had a dealer sponsered race you could enter same day for free and win some cool prizes !
i still have some of the t shirts ,tropheys and hats i got for wining rounds but the money is long gone .

also in the early years i remember wet t shirt contest on the starting line !

it was always a fun day and at that time best part was entry fee was $15.00 for most to race and i believe spectatos was $5.00 .

verry sad to see track in that condition .
Posted By: 440PURSUIT

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/13/08 05:10 AM

Spent many weekends there and won alot of trophies.... so did Jeff. I always wonder if it will reopen! Here's a cool pic of the Hemi Roadrunner the month of closing!

Attached File
4485517-7580.bmp  (459 downloads)

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/13/08 05:43 AM

Pic no worky.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/13/08 12:03 PM

Quote:

Spent many weekends there and won alot of trophies.... so did Jeff. I always wonder if it will reopen! Here's a cool pic of the Hemi Roadrunner the month of closing!

welcome back Chris. You should sell Boxco and open the track... I cook the hotdogs. I will of course give you more than one napkin per chili dog! I would love to see it opne even as an 1/8 mile. (although that's just 1/2 a race)

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/13/08 01:31 PM

I won the Best A-body trophy there one year at the mopar show. Would love to see that track open as it was the closest one to where I live.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/13/08 05:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

welcome back Chris. You should sell Boxco and open the track... I cook the hotdogs. I will of course give you more than one napkin per chili dog! I would love to see it opne even as an 1/8 mile. (although that's just 1/2 a race)

I heard he was making around 40k on a friday night (no pay out, lots of entry fees, lots of chili cheese dog sales.) BTW I heard this from someone who worked there at the time.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/13/08 05:27 PM

Hey guys, I posted this on Maryland Mopars.net and one of the members that replied had some information on if/when it might re-open.
Posted By: stockerbill

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/13/08 09:19 PM

It is a heart break to see those pic's. I lived in randalstown in the early 70's and used to race there every couple of weeks. The only place i had more fun at was capitol raceway(the inner city racers were a BLAST!) hope it doesn't go away too! If i visit my baby sister in wetminister i hope to go hang out at capitol, make me feel young again

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/14/08 12:29 AM

Let me know if you do- I race out of Capitol now, just not every week.

Kevin

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/14/08 03:31 AM

Here's what was posted by a member on Maryland Mopars.
Quote:

Bill Wilcom is a friend-of-a-friend, and I just spoke to him last week about the rumors of 75&80 possibly reopening. Here is what he said; The track (and surrounding property) were always Bill's "retirement pension" meaning that when the time came to finally retire, the sale of the track was what would support him financially. He was offered several different lucrative deals in the last 10 years or so, as the price of real estate skyrocketed in Frederick County. A serious health scare several years ago was the catalyst he needed to finally sell off the property. A deal was struck with a delveloper to buy the property with plans to build a mixed-retirement community. A contract was drawn up, but it had some interesting provisions and contingencies in it about taxes, water/sewer/etc...

Well, long story short, the bottom fell out of the real estate market. On top of that, Frederick Co. dragged it's feet on getting municipal water/sewer lines installed, and now the purchaser has pretty much abandoned his plans on developing the property as originally intended. When the developer stopped paying the taxes on this land, the original contract pretty much became null and void. Viola! Bill now "owns" the track again. Bill has been approached by numerous local racers offering personnel and financial support to get this historic track back up and running. I was present when some financial figures were thrown around, and suffice to say this ain't gonna be cheap to pull off (heck, just look at the pictures!!).

So, the bottom line is this: Bill KNOWS that people want the track back open. He has a lot of serious decisions to make regarding his level of involvement and whether or not this is something he wants to undertake at his age. His health is OK, but face it, he isn't 25 anymore!! I think it would take a big financial backer to come in and "take over" the operation, leaving Bill as the "CEO" but letting others deal with the daily headaches of getting the place back up and ready for racing.

Let's hope for the best! Central Maryland needs another drag strip!!

Posted By: RTSE4ME

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/14/08 02:46 PM

Never ran the at the drag strip but used the go cart track. Bill used to let a friend of mine use the go cart track to help him out in his racing career.
My friend use to run in the Toyota Atlantic series and ran a couple of IRL races. In between races for prctice he would get few guys together with 125cc shifter carts and run the track. Track was way too small for shifter carts but it was fun.

It doesn't surprise me that the county dragged thier feet on the water/sewer. I don't think their is any public water any where near the track. I know Mt Airy has public water but always seems to have water problems when we have any kind of drought in the area. Would be nice to have it re-opened since it is only 15-20 minutes from me.
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/14/08 03:16 PM

Quote:

Here's what was posted by a member on Maryland Mopars.
Quote:

Bill Wilcom is a friend-of-a-friend, and I just spoke to him last week about the rumors of 75&80 possibly reopening. Here is what he said; The track (and surrounding property) were always Bill's "retirement pension" meaning that when the time came to finally retire, the sale of the track was what would support him financially. He was offered several different lucrative deals in the last 10 years or so, as the price of real estate skyrocketed in Frederick County. A serious health scare several years ago was the catalyst he needed to finally sell off the property. A deal was struck with a developer to buy the property with plans to build a mixed-retirement community. A contract was drawn up, but it had some interesting provisions and contingencies in it about taxes, water/sewer/etc...

Well, long story short, the bottom fell out of the real estate market. On top of that, Frederick Co. dragged it's feet on getting municipal water/sewer lines installed, and now the purchaser has pretty much abandoned his plans on developing the property as originally intended. When the developer stopped paying the taxes on this land, the original contract pretty much became null and void. Viola! Bill now "owns" the track again. Bill has been approached by numerous local racers offering personnel and financial support to get this historic track back up and running. I was present when some financial figures were thrown around, and suffice to say this ain't gonna be cheap to pull off (heck, just look at the pictures!!).

So, the bottom line is this: Bill KNOWS that people want the track back open. He has a lot of serious decisions to make regarding his level of involvement and whether or not this is something he wants to undertake at his age. His health is OK, but face it, he isn't 25 anymore!! I think it would take a big financial backer to come in and "take over" the operation, leaving Bill as the "CEO" but letting others deal with the daily headaches of getting the place back up and ready for racing.

Let's hope for the best! Central Maryland needs another drag strip!!

I'm quite sure the contract was contingent upon the developer being able to acquire a development order. Standard practice, we do it all the time.

It would be prudent IMHO for Bill to lease the property for X years at X dollars to anyone interested in opening up the drag-strip.

I hope something positive develops for you guys....

Rickster
Posted By: cyphre666

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/14/08 03:23 PM

Wow ! Really takes me back. I started going there around 1969 and have raced there since 1973.
I was going to the last race there, but knew it would be so crowded, I stayed home.
I know a few people that did go and did not bother to unload their cars.
Yep, spent many a Friday and Saturday nights there.
Posted By: Scamp451

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/14/08 04:23 PM

The last day it was open was the day after the Mopar meet at MIR in 2005. A lot of people were going up for it. Never raced there, I was hoping to since it is about 60-90 minutes from my house. Yeah, it was a pit, but it was a track! It is very sad to see that. I think they used to have a Mopar show/race every year on fathers day. I called them about it about 5 years ago and they said "oh yeah, not sure why we didn't schedule it last year, I will get back with you" then
never heard back.

I was told it was going to be turned into condos, but heard another story that the land wouldn't perk, or there was a utility easement issue or something. The way home sales are doing these days, it is much better off being a race track!

They had a pretty full schedule every year and had a lot events with some of the big boys up there doing exhibitions. I am hopeful that someone will pick up the ball and run...too many tracks going away which of course puts more racing back on the streets which is never a good thing especially these days!

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/14/08 06:40 PM

Quote:

Wow ! Really takes me back. I started going there around 1969 and have raced there since 1973.
I was going to the last race there, but knew it would be so crowded, I stayed home.
I know a few people that did go and did not bother to unload their cars.
Yep, spent many a Friday and Saturday nights there.

I was crowed by I got at least 5 time runs and runner up in ETK
Posted By: 74DusterP457

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/16/08 12:28 AM

MOPARTS members will find this interesting. I may have my facts wrong, so please cut me a little slack.

I think the first NHRA National ET Bracket Finals was held in Pomona in 1980.

The winner was Mike Mortimer. Mike's home track was 75-80.

Mike raced his 1970 340 Duster all season and borrowed a Duster from a local LA racer and went on to win the whole enchilada.

I seem to recall seeing this in a National Dragster in 2000 or 2001 where they tracked Mike down and interviewed him.

I have many fond memories of racing at 75-80 from 1975 through 1981. I remember racing there 3 nights a week at certain times of the season (Wednesday/Friday/Sunday). If you lost early on Sunday, you could load up and high tail it over to Hagerstown.

Even though I've been in Texas for 20 years now, I sure hope that they can rebuild/reopen that track.

Paul

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/16/08 12:41 AM

Mike Mortimer is my Dad's best friend since High school. He taught me how to drive.
Posted By: Dads426

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/16/08 01:05 AM

Quote:

MOPARTS members will find this interesting. I may have my facts wrong, so please cut me a little slack.

I think the first NHRA National ET Bracket Finals was held in Pomona in 1980.

The winner was Mike Mortimer. Mike's home track was 75-80.

I'm pretty sure that you are right. After winning Pomona, he was offered a full sponsorship in 1981 from a local mopar car owner (Richard Higley who recently passed away). He drove a Scott Shafiroff style dragster (with front brakes) with a 355 W2 NASCAR style mopar motor that Mike and I built. It ran 9.40's, which in the day, was pretty fast, considering how heavy the dragster was. Since I was part of the "team", Higley let me drive a 72 big block Charger in Street. We both made it to the Division finals and made it four rounds. The next year, we mostly experimented with running Alky in a smallblock powered 70 cuda with moderate success (Alky was fairly new back then and there was little equipment geared towards using it.) After that, he got tired of driving for someone else and went back to driving his Duster, got a bunch of track championships there and sold everything in the early 90's. We are still good friends and I talk to him at least once a week (he is into the Harley scene now; no more racing). Jon
Posted By: SCATPACK 1

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/16/08 01:26 AM

YOU guys have that many tracks in your area??
Man are you lucky.
411 Dragway here in Knoxville is about 40 minutes ffrom me, but no one races there any more because it is so poorly maintained. Knoxville Dragway is about 2 hours away. I-75 Crossville Dragway is over 2 hours away and Chattanooga is over 2 hours away. Bristol is also over 2 hours away. Problem, is every one of them try to run Saturday nights only.
Boy do I miss the good old days when you could race on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday at a different track each time.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/16/08 12:35 PM

Dads needs to get back in the car and make a few passes.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/16/08 01:53 PM

1981 wasn't THAT long ago.... Yeah, I do need to make a pass. Just have to get used to the 3 amber tree...

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/16/08 01:57 PM

show the kid how it's done.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/16/08 02:01 PM

Found this one.
it was about 3 weeks before they closed
That was my 68 GTX.

Attached picture 4492063-5178-1968-Plymouth-.jpg
Posted By: RonTheAnnouncer

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/16/08 02:44 PM

By the looks of things, the local racers could start a literal "Grass roots" campaign. Get out your weed wackers and tool boxes, contibute some labor, money, and paint. Obviously the owner isn't in physical shape to be in charge of putting the place back in shape, but if some folks can help to get it looking cosmetically good, that might help to convince someone else to buy or lease the track. I've seen this happen in other places, and if enough people get involved, the cost to any one individual wouldn't be that huge. I bet even Ford and GM guys would help out!

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/16/08 05:32 PM

Jeff, I keep telling him to do it but he's skeeeered. I think he'd do a good job though.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/16/08 05:33 PM

Quote:

By the looks of things, the local racers could start a literal "Grass roots" campaign. Get out your weed wackers and tool boxes, contibute some labor, money, and paint. Obviously the owner isn't in physical shape to be in charge of putting the place back in shape, but if some folks can help to get it looking cosmetically good, that might help to convince someone else to buy or lease the track. I've seen this happen in other places, and if enough people get involved, the cost to any one individual wouldn't be that huge. I bet even Ford and GM guys would help out!

That sounds like an idea.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/16/08 06:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That sounds like an idea.

I'm in.
Posted By: RonTheAnnouncer

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/17/08 01:24 AM

If I was in the area I'd do all I could...even just providing labor could be a huge help. Best of luck, guys!
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 11/27/08 07:05 AM

As far as drag strip no longer running I remember watching and racing at the following CA tracks,Carlsbad, Colton, Fontana, Inyokern, Long Beach, Orange County, San Gabreil (SP?) and San Fernando(never got to those two tracks) and in AZ, Beeline and one more in Nevada, Stardust. I did race at the old Las Vegas track for many years before it closed and then they built the new one I can think of several other temporary tracks that opened for a few years that didn't last to long in CA but they where 1/8 mile tracks at airports that had closed or let the races happen on the weekends on a taxi way or a abandoned and closed runway. so much for histoory of drag racing in the south west BTW, I'm almost sure that NHRA did not start having a race for brackets for world champion at the World Finals until the early 1990s, if I'm wrong please correct me.
Posted By: Troublemaker427

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 11/27/08 05:41 PM

Bill Wilcom told me at Henderson 75-80 will not reopen.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 11/27/08 07:23 PM

boooooo
Although I'm not at all surprised.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 11/27/08 07:25 PM

Quote:

As far as drag strip no longer running I remember watching and racing at the following CA tracks,Carlsbad, Colton, Fontana, Inyokern, Long Beach, Orange County, San Gabreil (SP?) and San Fernando(never got to those two tracks) and in AZ, Beeline and one more in Nevada, Stardust. I did race at the old Las Vegas track for many years before it closed and then they built the new one I can think of several other temporary tracks that opened for a few years that didn't last to long in CA but they where 1/8 mile tracks at airports that had closed or let the races happen on the weekends on a taxi way or a abandoned and closed runway. so much for histoory of drag racing in the south west BTW, I'm almost sure that NHRA did not start having a race for brackets for world champion at the World Finals until the early 1990s, if I'm wrong please correct me.

I saw Mike's wally saturday, it was dated 1980.
Posted By: bigjohn65

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 11/27/08 11:37 PM

Kevin,
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.75/80 does not look like it did when I was there in 1977!I heard rumors that the developer deal fell thru,have you heard anything?
Make sure to check out Ron's post where he made the 63 plymouth web site.Take care and I will see you at one of the car spots next year.
John
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/23/09 05:30 AM

i used to go to this track all the time when i was a kid, i drove my first jr dragster here and watched many races that my dad was in. tom humm if any of you know him. i would love for this track to re open for me to be able to race here.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/23/09 12:49 PM

Rumors are flying again his week. Someone is doing some work/digging. Word is that they are upgrading the electrical systems (about time ). Rumor is that it MAY open as a 1/8th mile track in the future (due to new shut down length requirements and I'm sure insurance regulations).

I guess I need to change the pic in the post... sold that car to BobK.
Posted By: FOOLISH_PLEASURE

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/23/09 09:12 PM

kevins440 I went to NVCC with Mike in the late 70's him and George winkler another 75/80 racer ,tell him I said hi ,haven't seen him years,what was the name of his super bee,

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/23/09 11:27 PM

My Dad went to high school with George and Mike. Mike's car was a 69 Cornet RT called Rapid Transit. John Tedder had a 68(?) Super Bee; 383-4spd. He still has it.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/24/09 07:32 PM

Quote:

Rumors are flying again his week. Someone is doing some work/digging. Word is that they are upgrading the electrical systems (about time ). Rumor is that it MAY open as a 1/8th mile track in the future (due to new shut down length requirements and I'm sure insurance regulations).

Posted By: TMP66

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/24/09 09:45 PM

Quote:

I'm almost sure that NHRA did not start having a race for brackets for world champion at the World Finals until the early 1990s, if I'm wrong please correct me.

The first year for NHRA Bracket world champions was 1980.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/25/09 12:02 AM

Rumors are definitely flying around about 75-80 re-opening. Last I heard the track was being leased by someone and is going to open back up in April as an 1/8 mile outlaw track. Heads Up racing and test and tune once or twice a week...........but who knows. Guess will find out in April.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/26/09 01:15 AM

I saw were it will be IHRA , and they hope to have it open this spring.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/26/09 04:45 AM

Quote:

I saw were it will be IHRA , and they hope to have it open this spring.

Where would you rather race if they're both 1/8 mile tracks, 75-80 or Manassas? From where we both live is it really that much farther in time to drive to 75-80?

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/26/09 12:41 PM

Anyone have any old photos from 75-80? Anyone know who may have been the track photographer in the '60s & '70s?

I sure hope it reopens but I'm not holding my breath......

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/26/09 01:20 PM

I have some from the 70's. I'll have to dig them out and scan them. Unfortunately, they are mostly Chebby pics. Do you remeber Shaft, Missle Mouse, Black Magic (440/4spd Roadrunner), Malco Super Coupe, Spizzo Bros (Hemi Belvedere), Portee Racing (63 Fury), Bad Influence, Tommy (the Who) Howes, Auxier Bros, Rats Sass? Those were some cool cars.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/26/09 04:11 PM

I know the guy who owns the Black Magic Road Runner now. He still races it most weekends at South Mountain/Quarter Aces dragway.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/26/09 06:18 PM

I seem to recall that Black Magic Road Runner was a 383. I remember going to one of those Mopar Traveling Medicine Man shows in like 1977 and the guys who owned that car were there. I think their last name was Janeke (sp?). The Mopar guy did not believe that a 383 in a Road Runner could run real low 11's.

Cars I remember: The Virginia Gentleman (early vette), Portee's son (Dorian) had the Plymouth, the old man had a 340 GTS convertable the he towed with (and raced in Street eliminator)and raced a 65 Barracuda with a 340 in it.

Russell Barefoot's Chevy II is another. Richard Masters 390 Mustang (deadly consistent). Nathan Eztler 67 Cuda 318 with 340 heads on it. I can't forget "That Dart" - an original Hemi Dart owned by Pete and Jack Toms from up near Ft Deitrich. Bauman had a green Hemi Duster that their tree company sponsored. I am pretty sure Bauman is still around racing.

Sure brings back the memories!

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/26/09 11:54 PM

BradH I race two times a week most of the time ,so I will still go to ODS on friday and 75/80 some on saturday. The black magic road runner was the frist car I fell in love with ,when I was a kid

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/27/09 12:47 AM

Quote:

I know the guy who owns the Black Magic Road Runner now. He still races it most weekends at South Mountain/Quarter Aces dragway.

Jeff Doster owns the Black Magic Roadrunner. He painted our junior dragster in 1999. I knew John Boughers (sp?) the Virginian Gentleman when he had the 66 vette that he drove to the track and raced it. Mike Thomson (sp?) had the Bauman Duster (hemi/Lenco; he passed a way a few years ago). Steve Long still has his Mustang (different color) and races it at Capitol. Wiley Portee is teaching drivers ed to seniors in DC. Al Farnham (passed away) raced with Hubble in the 70's. Ron Hubble had a stash of mopars (hemi, 440+6) in the day; his son races a 340 Duster at Capitol Raceway and Ron has a junior dragster program for kids that want to rent one for a day. Russell Barefoot I believe is still racing at Mason Dixon. Rick Haulver's (sp?) original 440 Dart is caged, tubbed and running mid 9's now at Mason Dixon. Nathan Etzler is racing a dragster (remember the Sawdust car? A chopped, channeled, narrowed 70 cuda). Gene Barnhart's 64 Hemi Belvedere was awesome. Always loved Bob Harris' Bad Influence (67 Camaro, 454, Lenco). You are resurrecting some memories...
Posted By: Florida_70Bee

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/27/09 05:17 AM

I have a couple of pics..

How about one from 1975 My Dad's GTX which he ran in Heavy Elim (HE)

The other money classes were Super Pro (8 fastest 10:99 or faster cars) Pro Elim was (11:00 to 11:99) then Heavy Elim (12:00 to 12:99) the Street Elim (13:00 to 14:00) were the money classes then the trophy classes were A bracket to H bracket (1/2 secomd intervals starting at 13:00 and slower).

Attached picture 4976563-gtx.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/27/09 05:21 AM

Here is another car dad ran in 1970 and 1971 at 75/80 in J/Gas and the letter Brackets. Dad said the letter brackets (dial your own index) started in about 1970.

Attached picture 4976573-Hudson2.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/27/09 05:26 AM

How about a pic I found on the net from 1969. With Chris Lang's Malco Super Vett in lane 2

Attached picture 4976588-75-80_1969_LG.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/27/09 05:32 AM

How about the Bee's (and my) first time down the track in 1984.

Attached picture 4976602-pic4_lg.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/27/09 06:01 AM

Looks like they dug up where tech was and went over it with a grader. It's actually flat now

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/27/09 12:12 PM

Quote:

How about the Bee's (and my) first time down the track in 1984.

That's the "Hokie Smokie" in the background. 71 Challenger, 383 Auto. He drove it to the track, but the cops made him take the bubble off the roof when he was on public roads. I'm still looking for pics. Found a few. Will post soon.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/27/09 03:28 PM

Quote:

Looks like they dug up where tech was and went over it with a grader. It's actually flat now

Whats the word? Are they going to reopen?

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/27/09 04:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Whats the word? Are they going to reopen?

Just rumors right now. If they are reopening, whoever is in charge is keeping it quiet. Guess everyone will find out in April.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/27/09 04:17 PM

Quote:

Jeff Doster owns the Black Magic Roadrunner. He painted our junior dragster in 1999.

Isn't Jeff the guy who owns the body shop? Has a restored '68 Road Runner 4 spd post car.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/27/09 04:38 PM

Yes, thats Jeff. His bodyshop is Autos Unlimited in Glenville PA. Jeff has the Black Magic and a red Road Runner.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/27/09 07:53 PM

Quote:

Yes, thats Jeff. His bodyshop is Autos Unlimited in Glenville PA. Jeff has the Black Magic and a red Road Runner.

That Road Runner was in the back of his shop wrecked in 1999. He was going to restore it for his son as a driver, but went a little overboard and ended up keeping it for himself. I saw it at the World of Wheels in Baltimore and it is beautiful.

The Black Magic car had a problem of bending the front spring segments, so he had a set made (for big bucks) that extended the leaves all the way to the spring eye. This was before Cal-Tracs were invented.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/27/09 07:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That Road Runner was in the back of his shop wrecked in 1999. He was going to restore it for his son as a driver, but went a little overboard and ended up keeping it for himself. I saw it at the World of Wheels in Baltimore and it is beautiful.

You mean the red one? I saw it in his shop all stripped down sitting in the back when he was in Hampstead. Don't remember it being wrecked though. He did say it was a father/son project but I don't think son was interested. Next thing I know I start seeing it at shows fully restored. That is one beautiful car.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/28/09 01:39 AM

Quote:

You mean the red one? I saw it in his shop all stripped down sitting in the back when he was in Hampstead. Don't remember it being wrecked though. He did say it was a father/son project but I don't think son was interested. Next thing I know I start seeing it at shows fully restored. That is one beautiful car.

Yeah, that was it. It was hit pretty hard; don't remember which end since it was buried in his shop. He did a 75/76 Laguna that was featured in Hot Rod a couple of years ago. Work was top-notch. His son is Kevin's age, but I don't think he ever got into racing.

I dug out a few pics. Here is Mike Mortimer planting the slicks in his 69 Cornet. Remember dry hops?

Attached picture 4978656-Mortimer.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/28/09 01:43 AM

Richard Higley's Big Blue with Mike Mortimer driving. This car is now the Sox & Martin tribute car.

Attached picture 4978665-BigBlue.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/28/09 01:45 AM

Chris Lang's Malco Super Coupe.

Attached picture 4978666-MalcoCoupe.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/28/09 01:48 AM

Tommy Howes 67 Camaro circa 1978. One of the first blown cars at the track (other than funny cars). Loud and really fun to watch because Tommy wouldn't lift unless the car was heading straight for the guardrail... Notice the guy behind the car covering his ears. He stuffed that motor in a 240Z. I have a pic, but it is R-rated.

Attached picture 4978672-TommyHowes.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/28/09 01:54 AM

Dorian Portee (poor pic). Corrected; 74DusterP457, thanks for pionting that out.

Attached picture 4978697-Portee.jpg
Posted By: B Dartman

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/28/09 02:17 AM

Quote:

Tommy Howes 67 Camaro circa 1978. One of the first blown cars at the track (other than funny cars). Loud and really fun to watch because Tommy wouldn't lift unless the car was heading straight for the guardrail... Notice the guy behind the car covering his ears. He stuffed that motor in a 240Z. I have a pic, but it is R-rated.

As I recall, wasn't the 240Z considered the first door slammer in the 6's? Ran it with the "Wild Bunch"

Answered my own rambling thought...can't believe it was 20 years ago now!
Wild Bunch Article

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/28/09 02:34 AM

Quote:

As I recall, wasn't the 240Z considered the first door slammer in the 6's? Ran it with the "Wild Bunch"

Yeah, although he upgraded the 240Z to a 300Z and set the mark. Super Stock mag did a big article years ago. BTW, that was Elmer Watcher, the current owner of Mason Dixon Dragway in the blown Jeep.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/28/09 12:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

His son drives a '65 Coronet @ South Mountain/Flying Aces. I don't think the red car was ever wrecked, it just needed to be restored.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/28/09 01:01 PM

Keep the old 75-80 photos coming!!! You guys remember the Solomon Shaker??? How about Luke Duke's turbo Cuda? Only guy I ever saw break down his street tires and mount slicks in the pits!! He carried a portable bead breaker with him to the track!!!

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/28/09 01:23 PM

This is Wiley's son, Dorian. This car had 440 six-pack in it.

Wiley had a 64 or 65 Barracuda with a 340 in it that was painted like Dorian's car. He towed it with a 1968 340 GTS convertible.

As I recall, Wiley rolled the Barracuda in 1978 or 1979 at 75/80 and that's when he got out of racing.

Wiley and Dorian were both real nice guys.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/28/09 01:33 PM

Quote:

This is Wiley's son, Dorian. This car had 440 six-pack in it.

Wiley had a 64 or 65 Barracuda with a 340 in it that was painted like Dorian's car. He towed it with a 1968 340 GTS convertible.

As I recall, Wiley rolled the Barracuda in 1978 or 1979 at 75/80 and that's when he got out of racing.

Wiley and Dorian were both real nice guys.

Actually Wiley raced the Dart Convert many years later in Street Elim at both 75/80 and Capital Dragway. As I recall he was very competitive for many years going into the early 90's with Dart and was usually near the top of the points with it at both tracks.
One thing Wiley would always bring some food with him in the staging lanes and uaually while we would be waiting he would be warming it up on the intake manifold of the Dart. A strange thing for me to remember I know.. But it was kinda funny.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/28/09 02:23 PM

Cool pics.
Posted By: SealockRacing

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/28/09 02:46 PM

my dads got some pics of his car at 75-80, might have to dig them up

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/28/09 03:58 PM

Quote:

Keep the old 75-80 photos coming!!! You guys remember the Solomon Shaker??? How about Luke Duke's turbo Cuda? Only guy I ever saw break down his street tires and mount slicks in the pits!! He carried a portable bead breaker with him to the track!!!

Luke Duke, have not seen that car in a long time. That guy was ahead of his time with the turbo stuff. I saw that car go 10.30's at over 130. It was a 340 with a homemade turbo setup on it, way before the turbo stuff started getting popular.I actually tried to give a set of wheels and tires for his car so he wouldn't have to break down his every time at the track, but he wouldn't take them. Said he liked breaking down the slicks at the track. Wonder whatever happened to that car?

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/29/09 01:23 PM

I remember the turbos on Luke Duke's car had Mack truck tags on them. If I remember right he had two of them on the motor.
I don't know what happened to the car but about 8 years ago I was in Annapolis at a hearing regarding the repeal of the mandatory helmet law for motorcycleist(long story). This guy was sworn in and starting to testify. He was sort of all over the place with what he had to say but he started talking about drag racing. Then it hit me, it was Luke Duke....That was the last time I saw him. Ahead of his time but sort of out there...

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/30/09 12:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Luke Duke, have not seen that car in a long time. That guy was ahead of his time with the turbo stuff. I saw that car go 10.30's at over 130. It was a 340 with a homemade turbo setup on it, way before the turbo stuff started getting popular.I actually tried to give a set of wheels and tires for his car so he wouldn't have to break down his every time at the track, but he wouldn't take them. Said he liked breaking down the slicks at the track. Wonder whatever happened to that car?

I remember that guy (Luke Duke)... Definitely had to do things "his way". Can't laugh at the #s his car ran, though.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/30/09 04:08 AM

One of the only times i was at 75/80 luke duke was there with his cuda. I totally remember him changing the tires in the pits, i never got to see what the car ran as it blew the 904 on the starting line! Wonder where it is today... Anyone?
Posted By: Bill_G

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/30/09 10:00 PM

Early 1980's

Attached picture 4986604-Earl\'sCudaburnout.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/30/09 10:01 PM

another

Attached picture 4986607-LaunchingtheCuda.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/30/09 10:02 PM

late 1970's

Attached picture 4986612-heretorace.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/30/09 10:03 PM

Attached picture 4986615-jr\'scar2.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/30/09 10:58 PM

My 70 Dart, about 1981 340 W2's

Attached picture 4986743-scan2.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/30/09 11:03 PM

My other 70, 2003

Attached picture 4986755-DSC001412.JPG

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/31/09 12:21 AM

Bill G

If I am not mistaken I think the white 65 Cuda was a small block/ manual trans combo owned by Earl Burroughs. Before Earl (in the mid 70's) it was owned Mark Dobridge. Mark lived in my hometown of Olney and the car was silver at that time. I remember Mark had a nasty driveshaft explosion with that car where the front u-joint exploded and the driveshaft ended up making a 6 inch hole in the trans tunnel.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/31/09 01:34 AM

Andy,

I'm pretty sure that is Earl's car. I know him pretty well. He still has it, but it hasn't run in years. I'll send him this thread as he will be very interested in it. Earl has a shop in Mt Airy. He welded the spring perches on our 64 Plymouth when we corrected the pinion angle. He has a 68 or 69 Charger that he drives on the street.

Luke Duke's name is Paul. His cuda started out as a blown /6. I think he had a small 4-71 blower on it. He eventually put a 318 in it and Mike Mortimer sold him a set of 340 heads for it. Mike seems to think that it was running low 10's with the same blower or maybe it was a turbo.

We got to get Schmitty on this thread. He is a walking encylopedia on this stuff.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/31/09 05:11 AM

Quote:

Keep the old 75-80 photos coming!!! You guys remember the Solomon Shaker???

Sure do.. Bill Dayhoff owned the Shaker Thru the late 70's, 80's and early 90's when the car was sold. It was one of the 50 or so original super stock 1967 Hemi Belevedere's.

Attached is a picture of me racing the Shaker' in my Dad's 65 Satellite from 1990 at 75/80.

Or better yet.. How about a video of that race!

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Racing-a-65-Plymouth-at_554462.htm

Attached picture 4987750-65.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/31/09 02:03 PM

Tempus Fugit (I believe Latin for "Time Passes Quickly" or "Time Flies"). SS/GA 440 car from the 70's. The guy that wrenched this car had arms as big as my thighs. Saw this car at Englishtown for the Summernationals too. That's Rick Auxier's Super Modified turning onto the track. I'd love to have the Dodge Ambulance in the background.

Attached picture 4988091-TempusFugit.jpg
Posted By: lowbudget

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/31/09 03:17 PM

Thanks for the old photos guys....thats some cool stuff. Hopefully it will re-open,im not holding my breath though
Posted By: 73roadbird

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/31/09 04:26 PM

Cool video. I recognised the announcer, Mike Bassin, great guy and really knows drag racing. Currently announces at Qtr. Aces. I believe he was at Maple Grove for a while then came back to Qtr. Aces. Raced there 2 times at their mopar show / race. That track was like a throw back in time, really neat. I hope the rumours are true about the possible re-opening, we need more tracks to stay open, It's difficult to re-open once their closed and even more difficult to open a new one. The former owner of South Mountain, had supposed to have bought some property to open a new track near East Berlin Pa. Latest I heard was the township was for it, but not sure about the local residents, one can only hope.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/31/09 04:57 PM

Quote:

Cool video. I recognised the announcer, Mike Bassin, great guy and really knows drag racing.

You are right that is Mike Bassin! Mike is a definately great guy! He got his start announcing at 75/80 way back in the 60's. He told me one his first job's (this was around 1964) for him and another guy to go the finish line and determine winner by raising a flag for either lane 1 or 2!

During the 70's he was the manager of the Olney Esso/Exxon gas station. And struck up a friendship with my father during those years and ended up letting my Dad use the service stations 64 Dodge Power Ram to flat tow my Dad's J/gasser.

Our families became close friends and years later (around 1985) Mike let me drive his 68 Firebird (my first time driving a 12 second car!)

If you see Mike tell him I say hello as it has been many years since I have seen him.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/31/09 05:00 PM

Quote:

Bill G

If I am not mistaken I think the white 65 Cuda was a small block/ manual trans combo owned by Earl Burroughs. Before Earl (in the mid 70's) it was owned Mark Dobridge. Mark lived in my hometown of Olney and the car was silver at that time. I remember Mark had a nasty driveshaft explosion with that car where the front u-joint exploded and the driveshaft ended up making a 6 inch hole in the trans tunnel.

Andy your right it is Earl's he is a very good friend of mine. You have the history right about Mark D. and the combo too! I thought someone would recognize it even though it has been a few years since it was on the track. The stick cars always had people coming to the fence to see what was running.
Bill G

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/31/09 05:05 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the old photos guys....thats some cool stuff. Hopefully it will re-open,im not holding my breath though

Don't worry about holding your breath, it will open this year 2009. The contract has been signed, check this out someone has the website reserved. www.75-80dragway.com if it does not open I will owe you some beer's I am close to the track so you can come by.

See you guys at the track!!
Bill G

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/31/09 07:01 PM

Quote:

That's Rick Auxier's Super Modified turning onto the track.

Jon,

I think that Mustang was an original Boss 429 car That Rick had. George Reggio (When I was working for both him and Chick Dennino) told me was that it ran a small block Ford stick combo in A/SM. It was sold years later to Steve King (who worked at Glenmont Amoco) and raced the car occasionally. Steve sold the car in the early 90's It was then restored back to factory stock several years (and lots of dollars) later. Car was originally a Grabber Blue color.

I have also heard that Sam Auxier is reopening Maryland Hi Performance in Damascus?? Is that true?

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/31/09 08:44 PM

Andy, he closed the damascus location in november and moved to where Reggio was over in the airpark.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 01/31/09 11:58 PM

Yeah Andy, Rick raced that car with a smallblock. Since forged cranks were rare in those days (for Fords), he had a tendancy of leaving lots of parts on the track. You are right, the car was restored back to Grabber Blue with the Shotgun motor. We saw it at York US30 reunion and it is REAL NICE! You need to come up for that show in July; it is like stepping back in time. Same weekend as Chryslers at Carlisle. Time for a hall-pass from the wife...
Posted By: lowbudget

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/01/09 01:54 PM

if it does not open I will owe you some beer's I am close to the track so you can come by.

See you guys at the track!!
Bill G

Ok sir, I will take you up on that! Hopefully they will run drag radial ocasionally and you'll see me there
Posted By: hemisurfer

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/03/09 04:25 PM

Just traded some email's with Sam Auxier Jr. about 75-80. Sam used to run Pro Stock and experimental Super Stock in the 1960's and 1970's. Sam owns Maryland High Performance and is very connected with the Maryland racing community.

Sam said in his email that 75-80 WILL OPEN in May of 2009. Sounds like a confirmation! I just might make the tow for a chance to race there again.

- Chris Caldwell

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/03/09 06:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It's a 360 now but looks the same, he still drives it from time to time. I see him run up and down Route 28 from time to time. That car is a death trap and he's either crazy or a super genious. He used junk yard parks and a 3.23 gear and ran 10's. You blow him out of the gate then he'd come flying by you at the 1/8

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/03/09 06:04 PM

Here's me in 1995 in my brand new truck...14.08 I can't find me in my wite 67 coronet...but I will

Attached picture 4997803-truck.JPG
Posted By: moparguy1967

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/03/09 09:50 PM

[IMG]
This is a pic I took today looking to the left of the main gate. I could not tell what they were doing.

It does not look like any work has been done to the track yet.
Posted By: dodge turbo

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/03/09 10:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It's a 360 now but looks the same, he still drives it from time to time. I see him run up and down Route 28 from time to time. That car is a death trap and he's either crazy or a super genious. He used junk yard parks and a 3.23 gear and ran 10's. You blow him out of the gate then he'd come flying by you at the 1/8

Yea i remember "Luke Duke"....i used to be amazed by that car especially when i would see him at Capitol breaking the tires down and then run 10's with the tools and tires in the back seat...that tells you something when he would drive the car over an hour to the tracks, Mason dixon, Capital, and 75-80 break the tires down race brackets and drive home.......That is the car that got me into the whole turbo thing and i too run .23's and can drive my truck everywhere....Anyhow weird fellow, but nice guy...im not that old and i met him before i could drive and would talk to me and take the time to explain stuff to me....
Posted By: B Dartman

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/04/09 01:10 AM

75/80 Last Days

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/04/09 01:37 AM

YES! but that means i kind of have 2 deadlines now... originally i was shooting for pinks, but getting the car ready by the opening race at 75-80 might be cooler... hmm.... i do need to test first though...

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/04/09 01:46 AM

Got some pics from my friend Bill Schmidt (on the right). That guy on the left looks a little shady...

Attached picture 4999021-D14A044.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/04/09 01:49 AM

We are talking about the 70's here; 110 Instamatic time so the quality is not that great. Gene Barnhart's original aluminum front end Hemi car.

Attached picture 4999029-D14A041.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/04/09 01:51 AM

Ron Hubble's Dart Sport.

Attached picture 4999041-D14A042.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/04/09 01:52 AM

Harvey Baker's Dart Sport (He's a sales rep at Performance Automatic)

Attached picture 4999043-D14A034.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/04/09 01:54 AM

Bob Harris' Monza.

Attached picture 4999049-D14A035.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/04/09 01:58 AM

John Boughers' (sp?) Virginian Gentleman.

Attached picture 4999055-D14A037.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/04/09 02:00 AM

Bill Schmidt's Pontiac.

Attached picture 4999063-D14A043.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/04/09 02:01 AM

And his Barracuda...

Attached picture 4999068-schmidty.JPG

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/04/09 02:02 AM

Parked next to some guy with a red Bee...

Attached picture 4999072-D14A036.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/04/09 02:12 AM

Quote:

Got some pics from my friend Bill Schmidt (on the right). That guy on the left looks a little shady...

Jon,

Who you callin shady!

That was a fun day for myself and Bill as the Bee had just returned to street duty for the first time in several years and I would be moving to Florida a couple of months later.

Funny story about the trophy I won that day. There was Street Stick (Manual trans) bracket class that day that Eric Kitchen was running(Eric drove a mean big block 69 chevelle stick car) and 75-80 must have mixed up the trophies as I got the Street Stick winner trophy that day instead of the ETK king of the strip. I was looking for the guy who won the class as I was going to do an exchange of trophies with him but he had already left by the time I won. Oh well I guess I can now say I was the first automatic to win a stick class!

Thanks for the memory!

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/04/09 02:28 AM

Quote:

Who you callin shady!

I thought that would get a quick reply from you. No disrespect; just having fun. jon

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/04/09 04:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Jon,

Who you callin shady!

That was a fun day for myself and Bill as the Bee had just returned to street duty for the first time in several years and I would be moving to Florida a couple of months later.

Funny story about the trophy I won that day. There was Street Stick (Manual trans) bracket class that day that Eric Kitchen was running(Eric drove a mean big block 69 chevelle stick car) and 75-80 must have mixed up the trophies as I got the Street Stick winner trophy that day instead of the ETK king of the strip. I was looking for the guy who won the class as I was going to do an exchange of trophies with him but he had already left by the time I won. Oh well I guess I can now say I was the first automatic to win a stick class!

Thanks for the memory!

Was Eric's chevelle yellow? He still has it..

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/04/09 01:18 PM

some e-mails I got yesterday from a fellow racer that is close to the sceen.

"IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE A 1/8 MILE TRACK AND NO BULLSHIT CARS WILL RUN. YOU WILL HAVE TO HAVE SOMETHING TO RUN THERE."

Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 18:43:35 -0500

"I DROVE THROUGH 75&80 ON THE WAY BACK FROM THE AUCTION TODAY. THE GATE WAS OPEN. THEY HAVE GRADED THE HILL OUT FROM WHERE THE TECH BOOTH WAS AND THERE IS A STACK OF ABOUT 25 NEW TELEPHONE POLES STACKED THERE. ALL THE WEEDS THAT HAD GROWN UP IN THE CRACKS OF THE PAVEMENT ARE GONE AND THERE ARE MULTIPLE TRACTORS AROUND THE AREA. A GUY I WORK WITH WHO RACES A LOT CALLED BILL AND LEFT A MESSAGE FOR HIM TO LET US KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON. HOWEVER, BILL IS USUALLY IN FLORIDA THIS TIME OF YEAR."

WOnder what the no BS cars allowed means? I hope I can run my 12 second junk still or what ever that is in the 1/8

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/04/09 01:56 PM

look for your car.....
http://www.dcpages.com/gallery/75-80-Drag-A-Way/?g2_page=3

here's my old 67 Coronet Kompressor

Attached picture 4999955-komp2.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/04/09 01:56 PM

I miss that car

Attached picture 4999957-komp.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/04/09 01:57 PM

my buddy Marks, 70 R/T clone

Attached picture 4999960-mark.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/04/09 05:18 PM

ill have to check my dads picture book, and maybe try and scan a few.

im pretty sure theres a bunch of great pics, either from the pits, or pictures of his and my grandfathers cars going through the traps.

very cool stuff.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/05/09 08:31 PM

confirmed through emails with the IHRA today that they are talking with 75-80 about IHRA sanctioning.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/05/09 11:09 PM

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/06/09 08:39 PM

I took this pic about 3 years ago down in Rockville.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/06/09 09:54 PM

Quote:

I took this pic about 3 years ago down in Rockville.

Thats the legendary Luke Duke, Mack Truck turbos and all!!

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/07/09 01:27 AM

Hey boys their putting in the jersey walls, get your cars ready!

Pictures below

Work going on at 75-80

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/07/09 01:58 AM

Here are some great pics of 75/80 from 1964!
http://jdurand.smugmug.com/gallery/1191395_F74xm#59303930_RrZaS

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/07/09 04:05 AM

I think I read in a bio on Durham that he beat Ronnie and won that race. You know that was only a year or two before my first trip to 75-80?

How about the Luke Duke pics? All that's missing is Luke dragging his exhaust system. Remember when he had trouble sealing the blower and would run 15's one pass and 10's the next?

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/07/09 03:50 PM

75-80 was the first place Ronnie Sox got paid to show up and race. Bill Wilcolm paid him to come up from down south and take on the locals in 1963 with his Z-11 Chevrolet.

I own most of the 8x10s from John Durand's website covering the linked race above. I also have the Eastern Drag News that covered this race. I'll need to pull it out and see who actually won. John told me this was one of the only times he shot a race at 75-80. He was working for Eastern Drag News at the time of this race.
Posted By: coyote17m

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/07/09 11:59 PM

Hey guys,

Recognize a few of you here. I can't even believe this is gonna happen. It's gonna be great to have the track open again.

I just got a scanner I can actually use at the Circuit City close out and scanned a few pics. Maybe you'll recognize a few....

Attached picture 5008325-roadrunner.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/08/09 12:01 AM

Marvin Baughmans 440 dart. I think he lost the rear here and got it repaired that day right in the stage lanes...

Attached picture 5008331-dart.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/08/09 12:04 AM

Dickie Blairs dart....this was probably around 1984, 1985 based on unpainted roadrunner in other lane.

Attached picture 5008336-dickieblair.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/08/09 12:07 AM

Time Bandit Camaro in lane one. The duster in far lane is......I can't remember. Anyone?

Attached picture 5008343-roadrunner018.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/08/09 12:11 AM

Nice 69 Charger in far lane. I think that was Dickie Blairs son's car? Not sure. Anyone remember the rolling cage in lane 1?

Attached picture 5008355-roadrunner019.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/08/09 12:13 AM

Anyone know what day this is? The pic shows the clue

Attached picture 5008359-roadrunner008.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/08/09 12:23 AM

Up on the hill in 1989 or 1990. Somewhere in that time. Andy Caldwells car in the backround and I think that is Bill's Mustang to the left. Or was it still Mike's car at this point?

Attached picture 5008394-roadrunner002.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/08/09 12:26 AM

Great to have you onboard Mike. Glad you could make it. Jon

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/08/09 12:26 AM

cool pics! keep em comming. I'm excited to hopefully get to make a pass at 75-80. I was there as a kid w/ my dad but never got to race there.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/08/09 12:30 AM

At the banquet. Me, Charlie Brandenburg, Robbie Hudlow, Rubin Standford, Charlie Spielman, Dickie Bodmer are a few I recognize.

Attached picture 5008416-roadrunner012.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/08/09 01:38 AM

Hey Mike!

Great to have you board! Welcome to the addictive madness known as Moparts!

Are you still sprint car racing? Or are you planning to bring your 70 Cobra back out to the opening of 75/80?

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/08/09 01:41 AM

Creaghan's in the house, who's next Mortimer?
Welcome! Bill G
Posted By: cudaman1967

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/08/09 02:08 AM

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/eastern-members/1043292-75-80-dragway-6.html

Check out the pictures at the end!! Looks to be true!

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/08/09 02:41 AM

Quote:

Hey Mike!

Great to have you board! Welcome to the addictive madness known as Moparts!

Are you still sprint car racing? Or are you planning to bring your 70 Cobra back out to the opening of 75/80?

Thanks Andy,

No more roundy round for now, but the Cobra is being resurrected as we speak. It will be great to get back to the track. Man, it would be great to get out for opening day with it and bang some gears. We shall see. You comin up with the bee?

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/08/09 02:44 AM

HEY! What's up Mike?

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/08/09 02:45 AM

Quote:

Welcome! Bill G

Hey Bill

You gonna be ready for opening day?

I don't think Mortimer has figured out how to use a computer yet. I'll have to teach him so he can join the fun.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/08/09 02:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Welcome! Bill G

Hey Bill

I don't think Mortimer has figured out how to use a computer yet. I'll have to teach him so he can join the fun.

That's funny right there.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/08/09 02:53 AM

Quote:

HEY! What's up Mike?

Hey Kevin,

I dug up some old pics of the Challenger and scanned them. You got a thread for the car? PM me, let me know.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/08/09 02:55 AM

I can start one. Or just give you my email. How's the Torino coming?

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/08/09 02:55 AM

Oh yea, look at Mopar Muscle this month. Its in the Pentastars section.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/08/09 02:58 AM

http://www.torinocobra.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=14

Enough on the Cobra, this is a mopar board

I'll email the pics to ya

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/08/09 03:02 AM

Thanks!

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/08/09 03:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Welcome! Bill G

Hey Bill

Mike,

I will definetly be ready, as a matter of fact I am practicing right now (12oz curls) I will be there look for me behind the big green truck under the tent! see attachment

Attached picture 5008873-DSC000162.JPG

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/08/09 03:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Welcome! Bill G

Hey Bill

Mike,

I will definetly be ready, as a matter of fact I am practicing right now (12oz curls) I will be there look for me behind the big green truck under the tent! see attachment

Nice tent

12 oz curls, good for building a nice gut, lol. Ballast for the car ya know?

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/08/09 05:02 AM

Quote:

Marvin Baughmans 440 dart. I think he lost the rear here and got it repaired that day right in the stage lanes...

unless someone else in the area had a lil red truck, and was a regular at 75-80, thats more than likely my dads old truck.

also funny seeing that he would be able to get a car going like that.

you didnt happen to know a John or Wes Sealock do you?

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/08/09 05:04 AM

Talk Andy into coming up Mike, if he does I will tow up with him (4 speed Road Runner).

- Chris

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/08/09 05:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

unless someone else in the area had a lil red truck, and was a regular at 75-80, thats more than likely my dads old truck.

also funny seeing that he would be able to get a car going like that.

you didnt happen to know a John or Wes Sealock do you?

Nope, not many Lil Red Express trucks around. Even back then they were'nt around much. But that one happens to be Nathan Etzler's of "Miracle Wedge" fame. Hell of a tech and I think he runs Pro Start Performance now.

Last name Sealock sounds familiar. Can't place it thou.
Posted By: bdaz smblk

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/09/09 12:22 AM

The little red setting in front of Marvin's dart is probably his he still has it to this day.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/09/09 12:39 AM

Quote:

The little red setting in front of Marvin's dart is probably his he still has it to this day.

Reuben Standifer has a Little Red Express. He may have run it about that time-frame.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/09/09 02:43 AM

You guys trying to tell me my memory isn't all that? I was there.....and damn it, now I'm not so sure . I think Nathan owned it originally and then Rueben bought it. Marvin had one as well, hell, he may have sold it to Nate! Get those three on here to settle it

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/09/09 04:40 AM

I guess i could ask Michael Bauman...

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/09/09 02:15 PM

nobody has any pictures of Ray Lewis putting his valiant on the rear bumper???? I'll see if I can get one.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/10/09 03:10 AM

Okay, I did some digging in the Andy archive's (really, I went out into my garage...) and dug up a bunch of stuff.

Lets start with this... a picture I took from April of 1974.. (I was nine at the time and the camera was a Kodak Instamatic)

Jim Spizzo Chevy II. Check out the paint! I'm digging it!

Attached picture 5013883-7580002.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/10/09 03:18 AM

Also from March 1974 the cover of Drag Times newspaper showing full staging lanes at 75-80.

I remember when you paid your money to get in the pit side during these years you would get a tech card and a copy of Drag Times fortunately I saved a few copies of these newspapers which Dad would give to me.

Attached picture 5013902-q.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/10/09 03:22 AM

Dad's 65 Plymouth prior to the tubbing, 4 link, and a different engine. This is from 1988.

Attached picture 5013911-7580008.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/10/09 03:27 AM

Same car, 2 years later. Behind it are Jeff Doston's Black Magic Road Runner, Steve Cavey's "Ruff n' Ready" Duster, Lynn Kinzey's Arrow and Donnie Hottinger's "Arrow Minded" Arrow.

Attached picture 5013921-7580009.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/10/09 03:29 AM

Roger Edward's 16 Plug Hemi 65 Plymouth. This was one nice car!

Attached picture 5013930-7580005.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/10/09 03:33 AM

I also found this in my stash.. It's the program cover from 75-80 25th anniversary race.

The next couple of pictures are from this program.

Attached picture 5013952-7580010.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/10/09 03:37 AM

Early 60's aerial shot of 75-80. The program stated that when the track first opened it was a dirt dragrstrip! that must have been something to see!

Attached picture 5013958-c.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/10/09 03:38 AM

Dave Strickler in a early 60's race at 75-80

Attached picture 5013965-a.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/10/09 03:40 AM

More early action

Attached picture 5013970-b.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/10/09 03:42 AM

Soloman Shaker Plymouth

Attached picture 5013976-d.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/10/09 03:44 AM

Big Blue Omni. This was a beautiful car, And was totaled sometime in the mid 80's

Attached picture 5013986-f.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/10/09 03:46 AM

Justice Bros Arrow. Ran a B1 wedge with a Lenco.

Attached picture 5013991-g.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/10/09 03:52 AM

Rick Hauver's Dart (which he bought new.) Rick ran Tech. I also distinctly remember another tech/lane worker's car which was a 66 Hemi Coronet. It was red with silver stripes and slot mags. I want to say the guy's last name was Norris? (I think he was a sheriff) and that car was the coolest thing to me at the time (I was 10) it was always parked in between the snack bar and the anouncers booth .. Anyone remember it or have pictures of it?

Attached picture 5014005-h.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/10/09 03:58 AM

Nathan and Woody Etzler's Sawdust 71 Barracuda

Attached picture 5014023-k.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/10/09 04:00 AM

Lynn Kinzey's "Sissy's Toy Too" Duster

Attached picture 5014025-i.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/10/09 04:02 AM

Ronnie Sox at 75-80

Attached picture 5014035-n.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/10/09 04:03 AM

Landy at 75-80

Attached picture 5014040-m.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/10/09 04:04 AM

Early shot of a roadster.

Attached picture 5014046-o.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/10/09 04:06 AM

Bill Wilcom, Buster Couch and others sometime in the 70's

That's all for now..

Attached picture 5014050-p.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/10/09 04:13 AM

Quote:

Rick Hauver's Dart (which he bought new.) Rick ran Tech. I also distinctly remember another tech/lane worker's car which was a 66 Hemi Coronet. It was red with silver stripes and slot mags. I want to say the guy's last name was Norris? (I think he was a sheriff) and that car was the coolest thing to me at the time (I was 10) it was always parked in between the snack bar and the anouncers booth .. Anyone remember it or have pictures of it?

Rick still has the car. Never been cut for fenderwell headers! And I think it is an original 440 car. Runs mid-high 9's now..

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/10/09 04:19 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Rick still has the car. Never been cut for fenderwell headers! And I think it is an original 440 car. Runs mid-high 9's now..

That was Charlie Norris,
he was a State Trooper.
Last I heard he was working at Triangle Outdoor
world in Frederick.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/10/09 04:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That was Charlie Norris,
he was a State Trooper.
Last I heard he was working at Triangle Outdoor
world in Frederick.

That's the name! Does he still own it? Do you have any pictures of that car? I remember one time it going down the track and running like 13.30's It was a stock street Hemi as far as my 10 year mind could remember at the time. Diddn't he team up with Charlie Brandenburg?

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/10/09 05:05 AM

dang, if that was my dads old truck, that would have been pretty cool.

if it opens in may, i will hopefully be there for that

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/11/09 12:09 AM

Word on the street now is that opening day is 3 April . More to follow. jon

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/11/09 03:12 AM

Ok here's the deal. I was on facebook and they had a page for the opening April 3. They had an email on it and I asked them about the schedule, etc and they said the site would be up on friday, should put any questions to rest.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/11/09 01:55 PM

Quote:

Ok here's the deal. I was on facebook and they had a page for the opening April 3. They had an email on it and I asked them about the schedule, etc and they said the site would be up on friday, should put any questions to rest.

Kev you need to come by so we can get my heap ready for opening day.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/11/09 08:36 PM

new pics

I took these this afternoon. Looks the wall on either side of the track is almost complete. They were redoing the tower on the pit side also.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/11/09 10:19 PM

wow, any idea if it will go back to 1/4 mile for us SLOW cars?

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/11/09 10:44 PM

Everything I've heard says its going to be 1/8th mile only. Possibly only test and tune and Heads Up Racing.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/12/09 01:56 AM

LAME I guess I'll drive the extra 11 miles to Capitol then
Posted By: roadrunnerreds

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/14/09 09:01 PM

anyone have more info on the track? Brad

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/16/09 03:46 PM

http://www.75-80dragway.com/Home.html

Website is up and running.

Good News....test and tune

Countdown To 75 & 80 opening day

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/16/09 04:07 PM

Its offical. Opening up April 3rd. Lots of Heads Up and Index classes. Can't wait to get a chili dog when they open back up.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/16/09 04:39 PM

Good to hear about a track (re)opening. Track closings seem to happening all to often. Mike

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/16/09 09:23 PM

pic of dragstrip.

I'm going out again tomorrow to get a ton of pics, if some of the workers will let me...

Attached picture 5029874-IMG_4054.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/17/09 10:39 PM

Their website (under "schedule") says 1/8th mile on Fri. and Sat. and ___1/4____ mile on Sundays.

Everyone happy now?

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/18/09 12:23 AM

looks like ill be in one of the time index classes, anywhere from the 10's class to the 12's class...depending on how it runs after 20 years!

ill be shooting to be there the first sunday! april 5th, if not, it will be soon after.

i will no doubt be there sunday the 5th regardless!

well have to have a moparts pit area lol

John

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/18/09 02:06 AM

hope they give you morethan 1 napkin... and it says, 1/8 and 1/4 mile racing

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/18/09 02:47 AM

I think the index classes will be fun. I won one at Capitol last year and had a blast. Can't wait for another chili cheese dog!

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/18/09 02:59 AM

Challenger vs. Cobra Kev? 13 sec bracket, final round?

(while eating a chili dog)

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/18/09 03:46 AM

After I take the 8.5:1 pistons out? That'd be pretty cool. Of course maybe I'll just put a bb back in it...
Those chili dogs will give me a reaction time advantage.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics *DELETED* - 02/18/09 04:00 AM

Post deleted by moparguy1967

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/18/09 04:08 AM

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/18/09 04:10 AM

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/18/09 04:11 AM

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/18/09 04:12 AM

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/19/09 10:11 AM

anybody have any old pics of That Dart or the True Grit of charlie spielman

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/19/09 10:17 AM

anybody have any old pics of That Dart or charlie spielmans True Grit torino

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/20/09 03:36 AM

How about a Mopar Super Sunday?

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/20/09 02:36 PM

Hey moparguy that's my buddies gold 68 HEMI RR. cool pic

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/20/09 03:47 PM

I found the date for that show. It was June 6, 1999

Quote:

Hey moparguy that's my buddies gold 68 HEMI RR. cool pic

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/22/09 01:18 AM

Quote:

anybody have any old pics of That Dart or the True Grit of charlie spielman

How about this:

Attached picture 5042761-ThatDart.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/22/09 01:21 AM

More pics. Remember when V8 Pintos and Vegas were the rage? The guy in the Vega built it for shop class in high school. He got an "A."

Attached picture 5042767-Pinto.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/22/09 01:23 AM

Jeff Meleo in a Road Runner.

Attached picture 5042772-Meleo.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/22/09 01:25 AM

Nice 65 Ply (don't have any info on it).

Attached picture 5042777-65Ply.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/22/09 01:26 AM

Jack Weller (Superior Transmissions) blown vette.

Attached picture 5042783-Weller.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/22/09 01:27 AM

Penny Pincher Funny Car.

Attached picture 5042785-Penny.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/22/09 01:31 AM

LaRue's Olds. I think he bought it new and raced it right off the showroom. Still has it.

Also, a friend of mine has a customer that is the paving contractor for 75-80 and he said they will be repaving the pits AND the strip. He also delivered all the jersey walls.

Attached picture 5042790-LaRue.jpg

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/22/09 01:52 AM

Hey Jon,
The '65 plymouth above "The Exterminator" is Gary Donahue's car, from Cumberland. I'm sure you recognize it when you see a pic of it now...

Attached File
5042848-DSC_0062.tif  (199 downloads)

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/22/09 02:22 AM

Oh yeah! Remember what he did at Mason Dixon last year?

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/22/09 02:27 AM

Haha... A lot of people were upset about that, but the car drove all the way down the track after grenading the tranny. The weather would have got us last year at Mason Dixon anyway...
Posted By: calrobb2000

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/22/09 06:43 AM

hi
we need to get a mopar sunday or weekend like in the past !
i think everone and his friend should start sending a e mail !
i have already sent mine ! have you !

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/22/09 05:21 PM

Quote:

hi
we need to get a mopar sunday or weekend like in the past !
i think everone and his friend should start sending a e mail !
i have already sent mine ! have you !

1st you'll need a sponser. That or we can all pitch in $xx and have it to ourselves. I'm in for $100

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/23/09 11:50 PM

count me in

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/24/09 12:34 AM

Check it out, seems my brothers wife is friends w/ the new owners wife. I will be getting some 411 on if/when we can do a Mopar day. I'd vote for Fall since my ride isn't ready yet.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/24/09 12:44 AM

Quote:

Check it out, seems my brothers wife is friends w/ the new owners wife. I will be getting some 411 on if/when we can do a Mopar day. I'd vote for Fall since my ride isn't ready yet.

fall would give me ample time to get my car done also!!

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/24/09 02:39 AM

a birdie told me due to the cold temps opening day has been pushed back until May 1st. Anybody else hear that?

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/24/09 12:14 PM

Quote:

Getting any free pit passes for a friend ?

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/24/09 01:02 PM

http://75-80dragway.com/Schedule.html

They just updated the schedule on the website. It still shows April 3rd.

Look at the cost to park on the pit side.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/24/09 01:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Getting any free pit passes for a friend ?

I'll see what I can do. I was invited to go racing this weekend at MIR but I have no ride.
Posted By: mopar_to_ya

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/24/09 01:24 PM

Quote:

Look at the cost to park on the pit side

What's wrong with that?
If you are a racer with a trailer or have ever raced there on a Friday night, then you would be fine with this. I personally think all race tracks should designate parking for spectators. This keeps the pits more organized for the racers and the people that just come to watch and drink will just stay away from the pits and cars.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/24/09 01:29 PM

Quote:

http://75-80dragway.com/Schedule.html

They just updated the schedule on the website. It still shows April 3rd.

Look at the cost to park on the pit side.

Only $5 more than before. If you're not racing keep your car out of there. The pits get crowed as it is.
Posted By: Dartcuda

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/24/09 07:16 PM

Mason Dixon should do this . You go and race and come back around and some buttcheese has parked in your spot right in front of the trailer ramps.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 02/24/09 07:57 PM

Quote:

Mason Dixon should do this . You go and race and come back around and some buttcheese has parked in your spot right in front of the trailer ramps.

M/D suxs They take forever to run ya,,,plus they only give you 2 maybe 3 time runs be fore elims. and yeah holes end up in your spot after a run and you have to chase them down to move, and if that's not bad enough you have to hear their attitude. I always ask "didn't you see the chair or the cooler or the spare tire or the tool box sitting there? think somebody just left it?" Now move your POS sunbrid mullethead

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 03/03/09 02:30 AM

Plenty jobs there still available.

EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES

We are now hiring for the following
part-time positions, for Friday,
Saturday and Sunday's.
Please click here to download an
employment application. Submit your
application to info@75-80dragway.com
or via fax to 301.253.6535.

Managed by:
HEADS UP RACING, INC.
T/A 75-80 Dragway
JOB TITLE/DESCRIPTION
STATUS
PAY PER HR
ADMISSIONS ATTENDANT- PIT SIDE
Sell admissions tickets
Distribute and collect waivers
Issue registration forms to racers
Must be 18 years of age
OPEN
$10.00
ADMISSION ATTENDANT- SPECTATOR SIDE
Sell admissions tickets on spectator side of track
Distribute and collect waivers
Issue registration forms to motorcycle racers
Must be 18 years of age
OPEN
$9.00
ANNOUNCER
Broadcast race results, commentary, advertisement and info
Racing knowledge and broadcast experience required
Must be 18 years of age
OPEN
$10.00/
NEGOTIABLE
BURNOUT BOX ATTENDANT
Spray water on track and clean up oil downs
Must be 18 years of age
FILLED
$7.00
CONCESSION SALES CASHIER
Sell food and drink
Operate cash register
Must be 18 years of age
OPEN
$7.00
CONCESSION SALES FOOD RUNNER
Serve food and drink to customers
Must be 16 years of age
OPEN
$6.55
CONCESSION FOOD PREPARER
Prepare food and drink for customers
Inventory supplies
Must be 18 years of age
OPEN
$7.50
COMPUTER TIMING SPECIALIST
Data entry for racer registry
Organize race ladder
Post race results
Must be 18 years of age
FILLED
$11.00
CROSSOVER ATTENDANT
Sell admission tickets at crossover to pit area
Must be 18 years of age
OPEN
$8.00
EMT/FIREFIGHTER
Repond to safety and fire emergency situations
Must have EMT-B certification
Must have firefighting experience
Must be 18 years of age
OPEN
$10.00
LANE ORGANIZER
Organize staging lanes
Must be 18 years of age
FILLED
$10.00
LANE QUALITY CONTROLLER
Secure staging lanes after pull up cutoff time
Must be 16 years of age
FILLED
$6.55
SECURITY
Monitor premises to ensure safety and crowd control
Must have security experience
Must be 18 years of age
FILLED
$10.00
SOUVENIR SALES ATTENDANT
Sell shirts, hats, stickers, etc.
Operate cash register
Inventory stock
Must be 18 years of age
OPEN
$7.00
STARTER
Activation of Christmas Tree
Track Inspection
Car visual inspection
Clean up of oil downs
Must be 18 years of age
FILLED
$12.00
TECH OFFICIAL
Inspection of race cars and driver credentials
Ensure compliance with IHRA and track rules
Must be IHRA tech certified or qualified to sit for exam
Issuance and collection of racer documentation
Must be 18 years of age
OPEN
$15.00
TICKET BOOTH ATTENDANT
Issue racer time tickets at return lane
Must be 18 years of age
FILLED
$6.55
HEADS UP RACING, INC. IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 03/03/09 05:42 PM

I see he pays as well as Bill... Bill was tight w/ his pennies!
Posted By: 73roadbird

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 03/10/09 12:59 AM

I agree, I emailed MD last year about the spectators being allowed to park in the pit area's for the same reasons you mentioned. Last year while picking up my time slip I almost got hit by some doofus cruising through the gate at faster than normal speed, in a hurry to get to his friends I guess. In their reply they said they would look into it and said hey, we could close the gate that would solve the problem, but have been their after that and it was buisness as usual.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 03/31/09 04:03 AM

HEY,

WAKE UP!!

Less then a week to go guys. See you at the track. And don't cut in line when I'm gettin my chili dog dammit!

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 03/31/09 04:14 AM

Yea! The coyote's hungry.
See y'all there.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 03/31/09 12:16 PM

Kev that thing running yet? My friends got to do a little T&T the other Friday night. They opened for a few people and they got to run 1/8's to test the equipment. Both said the track is going to be nice...all brand new w/ a larger shut down.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 03/31/09 08:58 PM

So did they lay down new asphalt and launch areas? I was out there back in the fall and took some pics myself. Gave me chills to see it that way. But if you think about it, that was for the better. That place would have never changed. I liked going but thought it shuold be a better considering the time it has been open. Small upgrades through the years would have been good. But who cares now, We got it back. Just hope the IMPORT [Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean] don't tear it up like they do their schools! See ya FRI/SAT.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 04/01/09 03:22 AM

Quote:

Same car, 2 years later. Behind it are Jeff Doston's Black Magic Road Runner, Steve Cavey's "Ruff n' Ready" Duster, Lynn Kinzey's Arrow and Donnie Hottinger's "Arrow Minded" Arrow.

Jeff Doster Still runs Black Magic at 1/8th some up at South Mountain (quarter Aces now) in Mt Holly Springs PA. His son also runs a 65 (I think) Coronet 500. I bet he will be at the grand Re-Opening.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 04/01/09 03:25 AM

Quote:

So did they lay down new asphalt and launch areas? I was out there back in the fall and took some pics myself. Gave me chills to see it that way. But if you think about it, that was for the better. That place would have never changed. I liked going but thought it shuold be a better considering the time it has been open. Small upgrades through the years would have been good. But who cares now, We got it back. Just hope the IMPORT [Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean] don't tear it up like they do their schools! See ya FRI/SAT.

Sorry

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 04/01/09 03:26 AM

Quote:

Kev that thing running yet? My friends got to do a little T&T the other Friday night. They opened for a few people and they got to run 1/8's to test the equipment. Both said the track is going to be nice...all brand new w/ a larger shut down.

You didnt hear it Sunday? i just put the caltracs on it today...

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 04/01/09 11:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

You didnt hear it Sunday? i just put the caltracs on it today...

nope now your's is up and running come on over and give me a hand w/ mine.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/08/09 05:10 PM

Went for their first bracket race yesterday. The car went its best 60' of 1.36, which is about .05 better than its ever had. Too bad I was dead late first round (.133) and lost.
Posted By: bigdad

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/08/09 08:01 PM

So the track did indeed re-open ?

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/08/09 09:44 PM

The track opened back up.........the county is still trying to shut it down, but it is open again.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/08/09 10:24 PM

Quote:

The track opened back up.........the county is still trying to shut it down, but it is open again.

I hadn't heard about problems w/ the county. Is it trivial PITA stuff or legit issues that could actually shut down the track again?

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/09/09 03:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I hadn't heard about problems w/ the county. Is it trivial PITA stuff or legit issues that could actually shut down the track again?

This is the first I've heard of it...
Here's two videos from Max Wedge day (4/26).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkmeSDDBYag
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpFJbP_3has&feature=related
They were still working out some bugs in the timing system at the time..

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/09/09 12:38 PM

Quote:

Went for their first bracket race yesterday. The car went its best 60' of 1.36, which is about .05 better than its ever had. Too bad I was dead late first round (.133) and lost.

yeah but at least you lost to a mopar and a defending track champ... that was Bill's demon and Nate driving it. You probably would have lost w/ a good light...lol

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 06/09/09 05:58 PM

You shoulda told me that, usually my light is magically better when I have to run one.
Posted By: bstbrgr

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 07/02/09 05:15 AM

I Bought the "Virginia Gentlemen" 2 years ago . The car was in Hollywood FL in a warehouse for 20 years. John Boughers owned it from 1967 to 1982, he sold it to Gino in FL. He raced it till 1989 and then went into storage from 1989 till Jan 2008 some 19 years. I didnt know it was the "Virginia Gentlemen" till after I bought it.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 07/02/09 05:38 AM

Quote:

John Boughers' (sp?) Virginian Gentleman.

Does any one have more pictures oh the "Virginia Gentlemen" that John boughers had in the day or even a video?

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 07/02/09 05:46 AM

When I took the car out for the first time out in 2008 it ran a 10.73 At 128mph, what did it run back in the day?[IMG]http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg74/bstbrgr/1vag.jpg[/IMG

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 07/02/09 05:50 AM

Is this at 75-80? This is a picture of the owner John.
Posted By: 383man

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 07/02/09 07:04 AM

Quote:

I Bought the "Virginia Gentlemen" 2 years ago . The car was in Hollywood FL in a warehouse for 20 years. John Boughers owned it from 1967 to 1982, he sold it to Gino in FL. He raced it till 1989 and then went into storage from 1989 till Jan 2008 some 19 years. I didnt know it was the "Virginia Gentlemen" till after I bought it.

Thats to cool as I bracket raced that Vette at Capital around 1980. I remember it like yesterday as that was the first night my 340 Dart dipped in the 11's. And I won that race against him. Ron

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 07/02/09 12:21 PM

I remember when he drove it to the track when it was painted green and raced it (mid 70's). I'll have to look through my old pics. He was a great guy. Eventually moved up (or down) to a 69 Camaro, then vanished from the scene.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 07/02/09 05:21 PM

Quote:

Yeh that definitely looks like 75-80

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 07/03/09 03:52 AM

Quote:

I remember when he drove it to the track when it was painted green and raced it (mid 70's). I'll have to look through my old pics. He was a great guy. Eventually moved up (or down) to a 69 Camaro, then vanished from the scene.

His son John Jr I think raced the Camaro, he sent me a pict of it. Is this the car? Which car was faster the vet of camaro?

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 07/03/09 04:03 AM

This is another back in the day pict. Where I dont know.

Posted By: 383man

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 07/03/09 04:06 AM

The Vette was green when I raced against him with my 66 Dart. Ron

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 07/03/09 04:07 AM

All the details on the find of the car is on the Vet forum. The local guys that raced at 75-80 seen the car on vet forum and updated me on the history of the "Virginia Gentlemen" Pretty kool story on the car. I didn't know it was the "V.G." I thought I bought some hot rodded drag vet.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/drag-racing/1868740-1967-drag-vette.html

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 07/03/09 04:12 AM

Quote:

This is another back in the day pict. Where I dont know.

maple grove, probably bracket finals.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 07/03/09 04:13 AM

Quote:

75-80 probably past the 1/8 mile near the end of the paved pit area.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 07/03/09 12:26 PM

I remember watching the VG race at Capital Raceway back in the late 70`s. Yes, it was green when I saw it last.
Posted By: 68hemiss

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 07/03/09 12:42 PM

I don't have any pics but I saw the Virginia Gentleman Corvette racing at Great Lakes Dragaway here in WI just a few weeks ago. It was running with the Midwest Gassers group - still looks just like in the pics. Might want to see if they have some pics on their site.
Mark J

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 07/03/09 12:46 PM

John Jr told me he picked up Champion Sparkplugs as a sponsor and they paid to have the car done in red to match there boxes red, black stripe with white interior. ( it already had white interior)

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 07/03/09 12:51 PM

Quote:

I don't have any pics but I saw the Virginia Gentleman Corvette racing at Great Lakes Dragaway here in WI just a few weeks ago. It was running with the Midwest Gassers group - still looks just like in the pics. Might want to see if they have some pics on their site.
Mark J [/

That was me running the car at the nostalgia ledgends drag event at the grove.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 07/03/09 02:47 PM

some were I have some pics of when it was on the street ,and at OLD DOMINION ,POP was a great guy.

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 07/04/09 07:24 AM

Quote:

some were I have some pics of when it was on the street ,and at OLD DOMINION ,POP was a great guy.

That would be awesome!!! trying to get as much history photos of the car as I can

Re: 75-80 Dragway Pics - 08/10/09 03:24 AM

Found some old magazines with the vet racing in1977
© 2024 Moparts Forums