Moparts

Engine Masters tonight

Posted By: justinp61

Engine Masters tonight - 08/06/22 12:00 AM

The battle of Gen III Hemi's starts in a few minutes.
Posted By: BDW

Re: Engine Masters tonight - 08/06/22 01:21 AM

What channel?
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Engine Masters tonight - 08/06/22 01:26 AM

Later model with fuel injection for the win.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Engine Masters tonight - 08/06/22 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by BDW
What channel?

Sorry, it was on Motor Trend.
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Engine Masters tonight - 08/07/22 02:52 PM

Is it me........ or did the early version seem particularly gutless?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Engine Masters tonight - 08/07/22 03:16 PM

Can we watch it on here with a LINK, luck I'm not good enough to know how to find them on the internet for free and don't have access to a lot of those channels on my local T.V cable provider shruggy
Posted By: topside

Re: Engine Masters tonight - 08/07/22 04:25 PM

Cab - Google "engine masters gen 3 hemi" and it's in the pile of videos.

Short version: early 5.7 was markedly weaker than the later Eagle-head version, roundabout 80-some HP & TQ.
Both test engines were modified, early was carbed, later was OEM EFI.
Bottom line: grab an Eagle, the price difference and output are a better deal, and the Eagle's a lot stronger too.
Posted By: varunner

Re: Engine Masters tonight - 08/07/22 09:48 PM

Link
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Engine Masters tonight - 08/08/22 02:15 AM

That’s really an old one, episode 109 (they’re on 118).
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Engine Masters tonight - 08/08/22 02:16 PM

In this episode they are discussing the various intake manifolds for the early G3, and how the MP single plane is the absolute worst of the choices.
Their combo made under 400hp with some non-M1 dual plane.

Yet, Richard Holdener made over 440hp with that horrible M1 single plane on one of his tests on an early G3.

I’m thinking the early G3 sample used for this test was particularly weak, and isn’t an accurate representation of what would be a typical result.
Posted By: gzig5

Re: Engine Masters tonight - 08/08/22 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by topside
Cab - Google "engine masters gen 3 hemi" and it's in the pile of videos.

Short version: early 5.7 was markedly weaker than the later Eagle-head version, roundabout 80-some HP & TQ.
Both test engines were modified, early was carbed, later was OEM EFI.
Bottom line: grab an Eagle, the price difference and output are a better deal, and the Eagle's a lot stronger too.

I think that the later Eagle motor had an aftermarket cam in it too, which had as much lift and duration as the valve clearance would allow. Difference of about 6 degrees duration and .075"+ more lift. The Eagle heads flow 50cfm more and can make use of the bigger cam.
Posted By: Smoparmike

Re: Engine Masters tonight - 08/08/22 03:55 PM

They both had aftermarket cams.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Engine Masters tonight - 08/08/22 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by fast68plymouth
In this episode they are discussing the various intake manifolds for the early G3, and how the MP single plane is the absolute worst of the choices.
Their combo made under 400hp with some non-M1 dual plane.

Yet, Richard Holdener made over 440hp with that horrible M1 single plane on one of his tests on an early G3.

I’m thinking the early G3 sample used for this test was particularly weak, and isn’t an accurate representation of what would be a typical result.

Yep, it's season 7 episode 109. Kind of older at this point.

I'll take the bait and say I am pretty sure the goal of that goofy M1 was for crate engine use above all else, to be substantially less ugly than
the hideous truck intake (because the better performing and better looking LX/car intake did not yet exist at the time of the crate engine's creation).

Unfortunately that program seemed a bit rushed and was saddled with stuff like expensive prototype intake manifold suppliers, leading to
ridiculously high priced components. Later, several of us pushed for a stock LX engine crate motor instead, nobody listened, and years later
they finally did it but they waited until after most of us left the company.

I've owned a bunch of early 5.7s and one Eagle, I like them all, but I just use them as daily drivers and haulers, like I used to use 318 and 360 vehicles.
© 2024 Moparts Forums