Moparts

Hemi rockers

Posted By: Steve1118

Hemi rockers - 08/02/22 01:08 AM

I notice the Hemi stuff is really getting more pricey.

Now, I'm sitting on 50 years of blocks, heads, etc., and am sort of thinking of putting a motor together for my son and grandson to do some mild bracket racing, low maintenence, hydraulic cam, just some stuff to putsy arond with and do some bracket racing. He has a 477 inch bracket pump gas motor that does real well, but his car is a real clean 71 Plymouth Satelite, and let's face it, Hemis are cool.

One of things I will need, though, is rocker gear. It seems my stash has been picked over. I see on Ebay some guy from Canada is producing, selling, a new rocker gear setup at a reasonable price, $1500. Has anyone any used his stuff? Comments?
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Hemi rockers - 08/02/22 09:59 AM

Yeah...Rockers from ebarf...what could go wrong there.

Best rockers for the money are the Indy rockers. Go thru a reputable dealer and buy them....Stands, I would probably go with Stage V..
Posted By: fbs63

Re: Hemi rockers - 08/02/22 11:00 AM

The rockers off eBay are original copies made in China. I used one set at the insistence of a customer but would not recommend them. The quality of the ones I've seen is not good. As stated Indy's rockers are good quality at an affordable price. Plus the bonus of a roller tip.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Hemi rockers - 08/02/22 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by fbs63
The rockers off eBay are original copies made in China. I used one set at the insistence of a customer but would not recommend them. The quality of the ones I've seen is not good. As stated Indy's rockers are good quality at an affordable price. Plus the bonus of a roller tip.

This ^^^ I wouldn't touch those ebarf rockers with a 10 ft pole.

I'd love to get an affordable set of roller tipped rockers for my hemi to replace the MP crate motor offerings circa 2005 .

Re: Hemi rockers - 08/02/22 03:00 PM

The words Hemi and affordable in the same sentence....Not possible.

Go visit Ray Bartons web site & price his rockers if you want sticker shock.

https://www.raybarton.com/products/rbre-gen-ii-hemi-rocker-system
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Hemi rockers - 08/02/22 04:40 PM

Mine were way less than that back when I purchased them.

Attached picture rsz_20151008_074929.jpg
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Hemi rockers - 08/02/22 05:12 PM

Just have to keep looking through for sale ads and not be in a hurry. Good deals pop up occasionally.
I hope you have a Facebook account b/c that's where everything is for sale nowadays. Ebay is overpriced junk and nobody uses craigslist anymore.
Posted By: sasquatch

Re: Hemi rockers - 08/02/22 05:19 PM

Well the Indys just became a little less affordable if you get my meaning. I like the Stage Vs BUT pricey and hard to get.
Todd
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Hemi rockers - 08/02/22 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda
Just have to keep looking through for sale ads and not be in a hurry. Good deals pop up occasionally.
I hope you have a Facebook account b/c that's where everything is for sale nowadays. Ebay is overpriced junk and nobody uses craigslist anymore.

This ^

With Ebay requiring a direct link to a bank account and full tax reporting, the volume of reasonable stuff/reasonable prices has been noticeably reduced.

Because of all that mess, seems like there's been a resurgence of old fashioned, in person swap meets.
It's harder work and more time consuming, but the memories usually make it worthwhile.
Posted By: mopar873

Re: Hemi rockers - 08/02/22 06:17 PM

Exactly. There are tons of Facebook groups that are great to join and look for parts. It's amazing what you can find on Marketplace as well.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Hemi rockers - 08/02/22 06:29 PM

Back in 1975 I was running a 1970 Barracuda with a 426 Street Hemi in NHRA stock class, I was looking for more power and ended up checking two and a half set of stock rockers, both narrow and wide pads.
I saw.120 lift differences on the exhaust and right at .100 lift differences on the intake's rockers using my block, cam and stock solid lifter and one cylinder head with soft checking springs with zero lash shock puke
I found out later that all those stock OEM rocker SUCK as far as being near the same lift puke whiney

Re: Hemi rockers - 08/02/22 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by ZIPPY

This ^

With Ebay requiring a direct link to a bank account and full tax reporting, the volume of reasonable stuff/reasonable prices has been noticeably reduced.

Because of all that mess, seems like there's been a resurgence of old fashioned, in person swap meets.
It's harder work and more time consuming, but the memories usually make it worthwhile.

I slightly disagree....Its the damn 9%-11% commission they get from your sale! I used to use them back when it was 3%, but when it jumped, I cancelled my account and when they had me fill out the reason why, I said because ebarf is run by greedy crooks....
Posted By: INTMD8

Re: Hemi rockers - 08/02/22 08:13 PM

^ Agreed, between ebay and paypal fees, not even worth it. Oh and don't forget the final value fee.

Re: Hemi rockers - 08/02/22 08:25 PM

I have to agree, the fees/greed were the first nail in the coffin.....it all plays into ebay being worse every day to sell than it was the day before.
when they piled on with the rest of the stupid decisions they've made, it made ebay an awful place to sell.

I'd decided to go for it and was ready to buy all the sheetmetal for my resto, and dumped like 8 aluminum hemi heads and a LA race block to fund the project.
Could have definitely grossed more on ebay or here, but didn't want to screw around with shipping and the exorbitant fees, and likely when done would have netted less, especially when time was considered.
Called a local engine builder, got rid of it all in two trips, then turned around and spent every penny. Priced it all low enough that he could put some work into the pieces and re-sell at a higher price easily.

Currently will buy on ebay but won't sell there.
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: Hemi rockers - 08/03/22 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Dragula
The words Hemi and affordable in the same sentence....Not possible.

Go visit Ray Bartons web site & price his rockers if you want sticker shock.

https://www.raybarton.com/products/rbre-gen-ii-hemi-rocker-system

I don't think they are sticker shock. Try the Jesel rockers. Now that's sticker shock.

Re: Hemi rockers - 08/03/22 01:46 PM

They are really cool engines once a person gets past the crazy parts pricing.

Re: Hemi rockers - 08/03/22 04:31 PM

They are really cool engines once a person gets past the crazy parts pricing.

This I agree 100%......Nothing like a Hemi!

The scary part, is racing one you own & built after investing all that in it...Not just show poodling it around at cruise nights and car shows, but weekend bracket racing......I tease the truck pulling guys around here because I am pretty sure over all the years I have been doing this, I have blown up more Hemis than most of them in pulling trucks...even with the multi motor deals...The more HP you make, the easier that happens.

But when I look back at the failures in the Hemis I have owned, two items are at the top of the list....Valve train failures, and lack of oil or oiling somewhere.

So investing in really good valvetrain on one of these money pits is always good insurance. I also would like to buy a set of the Barton rockers and a Drag Week friendly cam, lifters without needle bearings, and good street/strip spring combo one of these years. Maybe this will be the year. Things have definitely gotten better over the years as far as parts quality.

The oiling is usually fixed by a nice big oil pan....and a restrictor or two....

Re: Hemi rockers - 08/03/22 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by rickseeman
[quote=D

I don't think they are sticker shock. Try the Jesel rockers. Now that's sticker shock.
iagree shock whistling
Posted By: INTMD8

Re: Hemi rockers - 08/04/22 02:19 AM

Not sure how to identify or if worth trying to find but I thought my "crate" iron rockers were decent. (I would guess it was an early 2000's 426 from mopar)

All very close. Intakes were 1.57 exhaust 1.49 which worked out perfect for me. (and so far working good up to 7,600rpm)

Re: Hemi rockers - 08/04/22 02:23 PM

And then, there’s these. Nobody here ever brings them up

Attached picture 4A04C3F8-A972-4FC1-AC49-5480874F195C.jpeg
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Hemi rockers - 08/04/22 02:52 PM

Do they come in blue?

Re: Hemi rockers - 08/04/22 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dragula

Not just show poodling it around at cruise nights and car shows

TBH, personally at this point having one in a car that runs at all and moves under it's own power will be plenty enough of an accomplishment,
let alone attending any kind of event.

I don't intend to join the straw hat and lawnchair crowd anytime soon. It could happen later, but pretty unlikely.
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Hemi rockers - 08/04/22 07:09 PM

If there were only some way to determine who someone would contact to get a set of these.......

Attached picture 5ED331C6-ECAE-4AAF-87F4-805594FCBEEF.jpeg

Re: Hemi rockers - 08/04/22 07:20 PM

haha

Re: Hemi rockers - 08/04/22 07:55 PM

Anything Manton makes is a good quality part.

Re: Hemi rockers - 08/05/22 01:13 AM

I ask them several years ago to make some for BB, not yet whiney
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Hemi rockers - 08/08/22 03:00 PM

I wondered if Manton made some after seeing what Steve Morris had made for by them.

Re: Hemi rockers - 08/08/22 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by fast68plymouth
If there were only some way to determine who someone would contact to get a set of these.......

This set does not look like it fits the 426 street hemi motors work scope
I wonder which brand Hemi heads they fit on? work
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: Hemi rockers - 08/08/22 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Originally Posted by fast68plymouth

This set does not look like it fits the 426 street hemi motors work scope
I wonder which brand Hemi heads they fit on? work

Those are for blown hemi motors with aftermarket heads. Several variations of those. No use for a Street Hemi guy.

Re: Hemi rockers - 08/08/22 07:29 PM

But wouldn't they make them for a street hemi, if someone threw enough money in their general direction?
Posted By: sixpakdodge

Re: Hemi rockers - 08/08/22 07:31 PM

But wouldn't they make them for a street hemi, if someone threw enough money in their general direction?

If you check their website, they already do...but with all the crying about Barton/T&D's, I'd advise you guys not to look...

Re: Hemi rockers - 08/08/22 08:10 PM

As Gomer Pyle used to say: Shazam.

Attached picture manton rr.JPG
Posted By: LAD 524

Re: Hemi rockers - 08/09/22 05:07 AM

Or these...... grin

https://reidmachine.com/shop/ols/products/high-ratio-exhaust-roller-rocker-arm

I need some Exh rockers...will likely go with Stage V.
Posted By: mr_340

Re: Hemi rockers - 08/11/22 10:55 PM

Manton has a Faceboogie page and they say they use tool steel for almost everything. They don't say which tool steel or what the heat treatment/hardness they have. I suspect it's A2, but I haven't been able to squeeze anymore info out of them. I've heard the Jesel SS rocker arm kit is about $6k and there is three or more versions of them.

Re: Hemi rockers - 08/12/22 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by mr_340
Manton has a Faceboogie page and they say they use tool steel for almost everything. They don't say which tool steel or what the heat treatment/hardness they have. I suspect it's A2, but I haven't been able to squeeze anymore info out of them. I've heard the Jesel SS rocker arm kit is about $6k and there is three or more versions of them.

Any part for Hemiroid motor is never cheap, good parts costs a lot more money than the cheaper ones, but you may save money in the long run by buying the good ones to start with: up: work: work
Posted By: cuda499

Re: Hemi rockers - 08/18/22 10:02 PM

Barton has sold over 1000 sets of his rocker system without many issues. When I built my last hemi, there was no question i was buying his. The adjustability, stand height, solid billet mount that uses the head studs to hold it down... To me it was the system you want, when you wanna buzz one to or past 8000 rpm.
Posted By: MoonshineMattK

Re: Hemi rockers - 08/20/22 02:06 AM

No HEMI experience but love reading about the engines. Many times on this forum I've read people post that they wished the had just ponied up and got the Barton rockers the 1st time.
Posted By: 572charger

Re: Hemi rockers - 08/23/22 12:39 PM

yes im glad i did by the ray barton stuff in 2003, almost 20 yrs of beating the crap out of them on the street and track no wear at all, and the valve springs last because of all the oil being sprayed in the valve cover ,730 lift roller, cam and at least 12000 miles on the rockers and pushrods best investment for my hemi and they never come out of adjustment set um and forget um lol
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Hemi rockers - 08/23/22 01:48 PM

I have a much cheaper setup. Older DLI roller rockers w/ MP shafts and aluminum stands. Been using mine since 2006 (street/strip) and never had any issues other than typical valve guide and stem wear. In the 850 hp ballpark NA and 1150+ hp or so on nitrous. I don't go much above 7k RPM and I have a pretty mild solid roller cam in it.

Is the Barton setup much easier on valve guides? shruggy I always felt like unless you're turning 8k+ RPM, then the Barton setup is nice, but not of any real benefit...unless the geometry is improved enough to where there's a real difference in valve guide wear. shruggy
Posted By: cuda499

Re: Hemi rockers - 08/23/22 04:06 PM

I have a much cheaper setup. Older DLI roller rockers w/ MP shafts and aluminum stands. Been using mine since 2006 (street/strip) and never had any issues other than typical valve guide and stem wear. In the 850 hp ballpark NA and 1150+ hp or so on nitrous. I don't go much above 7k RPM and I have a pretty mild solid roller cam in it.

Is the Barton setup much easier on valve guides? shruggy I always felt like unless you're turning 8k+ RPM, then the Barton setup is nice, but not of any real benefit...unless the geometry is improved enough to where there's a real difference in valve guide wear. shruggy

Billet stands that tie into center head bolts, Individual stands for each rocker, Each stand adjustable height for each rocker..... was enough to sell me. Before the barton rockers, i had an old school Norris steel rocker on a Indy 1-RA head and they worked good as well. Shifted it at between 7700-8000

Re: Hemi rockers - 08/25/22 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by 572charger
yes im glad i did by the ray barton stuff in 2003, almost 20 yrs of beating the crap out of them on the street and track no wear at all, and the valve springs last because of all the oil being sprayed in the valve cover ,730 lift roller, cam and at least 12000 miles on the rockers and pushrods best investment for my hemi and they never come out of adjustment set um and forget um lol

Agreed, mine are from 2007ish with thousands of street miles and over .800 lift roller shifting at 7600.
© 2024 Moparts Forums