Moparts

Arlene Vanke Hemi Intake

Posted By: Dragula

Arlene Vanke Hemi Intake - 07/27/22 11:13 PM

Anyone run one? Thinking of going to one over my single plane....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n89dCwJqbhE
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Arlene Vanke Hemi Intake - 07/27/22 11:27 PM

That's the intake that I run on my 540. Ken at Indy had told me that in my street/strip application that I would like the dual plane better than the single. Coming from wedges, honestly, I doubted him. So, I bought both Dominator flanged open and dual plane intakes and ran them back to back on the dyno during break-in. The Vanke dual plane gave up 11hp at the top while picking up nearly 30#lb of torque.

The engine peaks at 6,800 and made 685hp with a 1050.
Posted By: Transman

Re: Arlene Vanke Hemi Intake - 07/28/22 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by DaveRS23
That's the intake that I run on my 540. Ken at Indy had told me that in my street/strip application that I would like the dual plane better than the single. Coming from wedges, honestly, I doubted him. So, I bought both Dominator flanged open and dual plane intakes and ran them back to back on the dyno during break-in. The Vanke dual plane gave up 11hp at the top while picking up nearly 30#lb of torque.

The engine peaks at 6,800 and made 685hp with a 1050.


What manifolds are you talking about when you say single plane and dual plane.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Arlene Vanke Hemi Intake - 07/28/22 01:03 AM

i have the tall big runner single plane that is all ported out....Makes around 840hp currently. I don't rev it past 6500, so I was wondering if I should swap to the dual plane and try it. Maybe even mill down the divider and port it out and run an open spacer. Did that on a small block eddy air gap and it made a fantastic difference.

PS It does not fit with the air cleaner and the hood down all the way. I even milled a little off the top of that intake and there just isn't room.

Is yours ported, and did you use a phenolic spacer?

Attached picture DSC05685.JPG
Attached picture Cuda_NewHood.jpg
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Arlene Vanke Hemi Intake - 07/28/22 02:42 PM

Both intakes were Indys. The combo was going under the Shaker in the Cuda, so height was a major limitation. I also had a Ray Barton intake, but there was no way it was going to fit, so I didn't even run it on the dyno. The open intake was the shorter Indy. I don't remember the number. No room for any spacer. MCH ported the heads, but the intake was uncut.

I had a lot of people tell me that any Indy with a Dominator would not fit under the Shaker. Had to lower the K, and had to fab up the Shaker base with a Dominator drop base and build an air cleaner lid out of fiberglass to get the carb up into the bonnet. It all fits.....just barely and was a lot of work. These pics are from the wedge days, but are pretty much the same as today with the Hemi.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]how do i print screen

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: Arlene Vanke Hemi Intake - 07/29/22 01:06 AM

Before I watched the video, I thought you were talking about the street Hemi factory intake that has the Arlen Vanke modification.
Posted By: Transman

Re: Arlene Vanke Hemi Intake - 07/29/22 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by Hemi_Joel
Before I watched the video, I thought you were talking about the street Hemi factory intake that has the Arlen Vanke modification.


Me too, that’s why I asked what manifolds he referred too.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Arlene Vanke Hemi Intake - 07/29/22 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by Hemi_Joel
Before I watched the video, I thought you were talking about the street Hemi factory intake that has the Arlen Vanke modification.

Me too, am thinking of making one
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Arlene Vanke Hemi Intake - 07/29/22 02:14 AM

Mopar had that style of magnesium single 4150 carb intakes on the 1964 and 1965 race Hemi 410 HP for NASCAR racing scope
A friend of mine ended up with two of them and was planning on racing a 1964 Plymouth Savoy in NHRA stock but he never got it finish, I don't think he could find the correct carb whineyshruggy
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Arlene Vanke Hemi Intake - 07/29/22 02:59 PM

I ran my own machined Vanke style street Hemi intake on my other +.030 over mild Hemi on the street. It loved it. Never had any issues.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Arlene Vanke Hemi Intake - 07/29/22 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by DaveRS23
Both intakes were Indys. The combo was going under the Shaker in the Cuda, so height was a major limitation. I also had a Ray Barton intake, but there was no way it was going to fit, so I didn't even run it on the dyno. The open intake was the shorter Indy. I don't remember the number. No room for any spacer. MCH ported the heads, but the intake was uncut.

I had a lot of people tell me that any Indy with a Dominator would not fit under the Shaker. Had to lower the K, and had to fab up the Shaker base with a Dominator drop base and build an air cleaner lid out of fiberglass to get the carb up into the bonnet. It all fits.....just barely and was a lot of work. These pics are from the wedge days, but are pretty much the same as today with the Hemi.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]how do i print screen

[Linked Image]


I like your modified base to the side Dominator carb shaker. I modified mine for dual Dominator's and a tunnel ram.

Attached picture 20180331_154502 (002).jpg
Attached picture 20180504_210549.jpg
Attached picture 20180627_222831.jpg
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Arlene Vanke Hemi Intake - 07/29/22 03:04 PM

More.

Attached picture 20200207_183435 (004).jpg
Attached picture 20200421_155802 (002).jpg
Attached picture IMG951109.jpg
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Arlene Vanke Hemi Intake - 07/29/22 03:05 PM

Last one.

Attached picture 123_1(2).jpeg
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Arlene Vanke Hemi Intake - 07/29/22 10:08 PM

You are obviously a MUCH better fabricator than I am. bow
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Arlene Vanke Hemi Intake - 07/29/22 10:11 PM

There is nothing complicated about the Vanke mod. My intake also has the splash shield under it but I don't remember if it was part of the Vanke mod or a separate option.
© 2022 Moparts Forums