Moparts

Milodon dual Line swinging pick up.

Posted By: hugo

Milodon dual Line swinging pick up. - 07/17/22 04:51 PM

What is the distance that the swinging pick up has to to be from the bottom of the pan? I have the milodon 31151 oil pan. I ask because I was using it like that but in this build I notice it sits kind of high. I measured it and when it goes to one side it measures 3/4 and when it goes to the other side its 7/8. I am worried it's too high. Do they sell a swing pick up or the block that makes the arm sit lower?
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Milodon dual Line swinging pick up. - 07/17/22 05:16 PM

There were two different swinging pickup arms from Milodon. It would seem one was for a much deeper pan - like an inch or so. Personally, I don't think your pickup space is an issue - as long as its continuously cover with oil I've never seen any sort of spacer for the pickup.

The pickup swings front to back. You'd want it lower in the back I would think. There is probably some play in the mounting holes to tilt it one way or the other. It wouldn't have to moove much at the holes to move a fair bit at the end of its sweep.
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Milodon dual Line swinging pick up. - 07/17/22 05:32 PM

Myself, I would like it lower, say 1/4”. You would have to patch those holes and drill lower ones. I don’t think they make a lowering block. I’m sure others will say it’s ok the way it is. But that’s me.
Posted By: Tig

Re: Milodon dual Line swinging pick up. - 07/17/22 05:32 PM

Mines about 1/2" from the bottom of the pan, at most. We've used 31151, 31161 (modified for centre link) and depth altered 31470. It was the same on all. They've all been destroyed by wheelstands, and we're currently having a copy of the 31161 with centre link hole made in aluminium. Pick up will be set for 1/2".
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Milodon dual Line swinging pick up. - 07/17/22 07:27 PM

Looking at that low depth oil pan I would look at moving the pickup forward to allow it to swing more rearwards instead of having it bounce off the back of the pan and possibly sucking air when stopping hard at the track twocents
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Milodon dual Line swinging pick up. - 07/18/22 12:06 AM

Not really a big fan of the swinging pickup stuff but get the appeal with the large box pans. FWIW I would want that pickup MUCH lower in the pan. As stated 1/4" is much better.
Posted By: hugo

Re: Milodon dual Line swinging pick up. - 07/19/22 12:02 AM

The attachment shows my swinging pick up. I called Milodon and they tell me mine is the older version that the new one should bring it down 1/4 or less have any of you measured the difference?

Attached picture F5981B8E-7ED4-4EA3-8444-CA560B01DCB4.jpeg
Posted By: moparacer

Re: Milodon dual Line swinging pick up. - 07/19/22 12:10 PM

I always use the Indy swinging pickup in the Milodon pans. Indy pickup is better IMO. Its Its pretty tight to the bottom of the pan. 1/4 -3/8. I never measured it. Just eyeball.
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Milodon dual Line swinging pick up. - 07/20/22 12:59 AM

This is from the Milodon instructions:
Pickup Assembly – The pickup whether swivel or static will attach the fittings in the same
way. The fitting is a “bulkhead” style that has a groove cut into the long thread section that
the O-ring will sit in. Use a little oil on the fitting threads so avoid galling. With the jam nut
and the washer threaded onto the fitting, slide the fitting through the holes in the pan. The Oring
will then be installed on the fitting inside the oil pan. Align the O-ring on the unthreaded
groove. Use the jam nut to adjust the fitting position in or out to correctly align the O-ring in
its groove. Slide the pickup up to the fitting and screw the fitting into the pickup. The final
tightening will be by the jam nut once the desired fitting angle has been determined.
When using the swivel pickup, make sure that throughout the pickup’s sweep forward and
rearward is kept at an even ¼” to 3/8” all the way through. That is not ½ at one end and 1/8”
at the other.
© 2024 Moparts Forums