Moparts

Torqueflite strength?

Posted By: gregsdart

Torqueflite strength? - 07/11/22 07:21 PM

I have been considering a move to a 580 cu in 572-13 motor with 15/1 compression on methanol. Expected power would be over 1050 hp at 7400 rpm. Torque will be 800 + somewhere. Can stock input and output shafts handle this kind of power? Launch will be about 4800 rpm or less, with a converter that will flash to 6300 behind this beast. Tires are 10.5 x 33 hoosiers so shock from launch shouldn't be too bad. Tell me your experiences of stock shaft failures so i can figure out whether i want to try this.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 07/11/22 07:35 PM

Mines had the same stock input and output shafts since 2013. Over 800 passes. The parts I'd be swapping in? Super sprag (A&A , ATI, Ect), good front drum, steel hub front planet. Though I've never failed pump gears or an input hub those would be the next on the list.
Doug
Posted By: 440Brian

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 07/11/22 08:15 PM

I broke a stock output shaft in my 727 this March at the launch after about 350 passes. It's behind a 505 and I think it's only about 550HP (2,980 lbs @130 mph running NHRA Super Street) with 14.5"x32" MT slicks. I launch at 5,400 and it flashes up to about 5,900 rpm. The rest of transmission has been great (it's a well built CRT).
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 07/11/22 09:41 PM

At that power, and your weight, I don’t know why you haven’t switched to a glide? Engler switched to a Glide in his 3400lb Coronet this year, and in 5 races he’s pocketed $11,000 this year. It made the car deadly consistent.
Posted By: Tig

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 07/11/22 10:16 PM

We snapped an o/p shaft when a ring and pinion failed (Dana). We replaced both the i/p and o/p with H/D ones on the rebuild and it lived behind a 900+ft/lb 655 wedge with no apparent issues. Long term, we intend to switch to a TH400 derivative box and a 9" type rear.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 07/11/22 10:18 PM

I'm thinking of calling Pro Trans, 661-940-7400, about buying and using one of their custom built Pro Flights for my new Top Sportsmans B1-MC headed car.
I know one west coast 10.5 outlaw racer that used them with really good results making near 2000 HP work

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 07/11/22 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by JERICOGTX
At that power, and your weight, I don’t know why you haven’t switched to a glide? Engler switched to a Glide in his 3400lb Coronet this year, and in 5 races he’s pocketed $11,000 this year. It made the car deadly consistent.

Because its fun,, 😁people would come to the line and watch to see what would happen this time,😵‍💫😲
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 07/11/22 11:02 PM

If you want to stay 727, billet input, output shafts, steel plantaries. $$$
Posted By: dart games

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 07/12/22 01:00 AM

put a powerglide in it and be done.or be like this

Attached picture 0524100827.jpg
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 07/12/22 01:52 AM

I was twisting input/ output shafts at around 800 hp. 3700 lb car, mid nines 1/4. Went to A&A input/output shafts and had zero problems after that. The car eventually was running high 8s @155 at 3700 lbs with a 3.50 rear gear. Engine was making some good power and had a lot of weight and gear ratio to fight. Trans was reliable and predictable.

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 07/12/22 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by TRENDZ
I was twisting input/ output shafts at around 800 hp. 3700 lb car, mid nines 1/4. Went to A&A input/output shafts and had zero problems after that. The car eventually was running high 8s @155 at 3700 lbs with a 3.50 rear gear. Engine was making some good power and had a lot of weight and gear ratio to fight. Trans was reliable and predictable.

Where were the output shafts breaking? I plan on at least an upgrade to the input shaft and hub. I figure on leaving a bit soft since i have a lot of gear and only an 8.50 cert
Posted By: JcodeCharger

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 07/12/22 02:56 AM

I run a Torqueflite from Protrans. Its a killer piece. Billet input and output shafts, no stock internal in it. It was 1/3 the price of a similar TH400. I have put over 50 passes on it. I leave at 12 psi of boost which is good for just over 1,000 hp and probably similar torque since I leave at 4800 rpm. Zero problems with it.So far my 3400# car has gone low 8's with this combo.
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 07/12/22 03:01 AM

never broke a shaft, always twisted them. the lube holes in the shafts would go from round to oval, and the slines would have an offset twist in them.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 07/12/22 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by 69b1dart

haha that's what happens with a stock sprag and a stock front drum ...
Posted By: sixpakdodge

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 07/12/22 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by JohnRR
Originally Posted by 69b1dart

haha that's what happens with a stock sprag and a stock front drum ...

Guy's like a broken record. Doesn't matter if you fried a clutch, or broke a hard part...he posts that same picture with the same stupid comment.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 07/12/22 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by gregsdart
I have been considering a move to a 580 cu in 572-13 motor with 15/1 compression on methanol. Expected power would be over 1050 hp at 7400 rpm. Torque will be 800 + somewhere. Can stock input and output shafts handle this kind of power? Launch will be about 4800 rpm or less, with a converter that will flash to 6300 behind this beast. Tires are 10.5 x 33 hoosiers so shock from launch shouldn't be too bad. Tell me your experiences of stock shaft failures so i can figure out whether i want to try this.

I can say, I have never pushed one that hard....We have made 850hp and had no issues....We build them per what A&A recommends for parts for that level. At your level, a glide will probably be cheaper and hold up better. The only thing is with a glide, it tends to take a couple tries to get the convertor where you want it. Much fussier without that extra gear to get you moving. ...

Now I have a friend pushing a 727 to 1200hp in a blown application, and it can be done, but he seems to find the limits of everything, and that is where he cracked a case....I don't think there was anything else that failed on him.

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 07/13/22 03:58 AM

I have determined that i need a better input shaft and hub, the rest, except for the output shaft, is good parts . To keep it alive with a 580 i figure a short part throttle launch will suffice. Once the car gets moving a foot or two stresses start to drop pretty fast. So maybe leave at 4000, .2 or . 3 at half throttle, it should live and maybe, just maybe i can stick the tires!
Posted By: R3 Racing

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 07/13/22 01:17 PM

We just installed an A and A Torqueflite in our Road Runner. There is quite a difference between my home built torqueflite with a Turbo Action transbrake and the transmission from A and A. The A and A has all the best internals. The A and A is more positive in all gears. The transbrake is more positive when it engages and most importantly, the car is quicker with no other changes. If you haven't talked to Rick Allison, you should. He knows what he is doing. As an aside, my son and I went and saw Rick's facility. It is one of the most impressive shops I have ever been in.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 07/13/22 02:41 PM

Trans of choice for early nitro funny cars (2500 hp?) reason Beattie started ATI for his Black Magic cars
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 07/13/22 04:52 PM

I have a Joels on Joy proflite behind my 64. Was 3600lbs with me in it and makes 4 digit power(8.80's 155)

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 07/13/22 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by R3 Racing
We just installed an A and A Torqueflite in our Road Runner. There is quite a difference between my home built torqueflite with a Turbo Action transbrake and the transmission from A and A. The A and A has all the best internals. The A and A is more positive in all gears. The transbrake is more positive when it engages and most importantly, the car is quicker with no other changes. If you haven't talked to Rick Allison, you should. He knows what he is doing. As an aside, my son and I went and saw Rick's facility. It is one of the most impressive shops I have ever been in.

Rick,
My trans was built by Chuck Lofgren, who has been building Torqueflites for racers for 40 years? He put all the needed upgrades in this trans, for my power level at the time. The next step only requires tougher shafts.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 07/15/22 03:42 PM

My 727 still has stock shafts in it. Haven't broken one yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if it broke on my next pass.
3850 lb car, 575" hemi on nitrous...Mid 5s at 127 mph in the 1/8. Should be somewhere in the 8.6-8.7 range in the 1/4, I just haven't run at a 1/4 mile track in a while.

Attached picture big 2.jpg

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 07/15/22 03:57 PM

Thanks Shawn. That tells me a lot. How do you launch and what tires are you running?

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 07/15/22 04:33 PM

Thanks Shawn. That tells me a lot. How do you launch and what tires are you running?

It was just Shawn's event, not me, lol. That's why his name is on the photo.
3k off the transbrake,. 295-65 drag radials.

Chip
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 07/15/22 06:26 PM

I broke an output shaft at 700 horse at 3350 pounds.
Some guys get lucky, some don’t.
The fact is, the stock parts are 50 years old, they can break with pretty much any decent power. No way of knowing.
To the OP, seems like square peg round hole. Sensible thing is to go to a glide that can handle the power, and make the car way more consistent.
It’s never gonna be a world record holder, being consistent, not breaking and having fun seems logical to me
Posted By: OUTLAWSSAA

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 07/15/22 07:05 PM

Rick Allison recommends anything 900hp or over to have hardened shafts.
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 07/15/22 07:31 PM

twocentsCall Rossler and get a glide.

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 07/15/22 07:35 PM

Don't get me wrong, if I had the budget, there'd be a powerglide in my car. I'm not recommending stock shafts either...I know mine is a timebomb. Just stating what I've done. twocents

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 07/16/22 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda
Don't get me wrong, if I had the budget, there'd be a powerglide in my car. I'm not recommending stock shafts either...I know mine is a timebomb. Just stating what I've done. twocents

I assumed what you stated. I know i am skating close to thin ice, but i have backed myself into an empty race budget with the new motor and total rebuild of my trans . Originally i had planned to stay at 550 cubes, but a great deal on a longer arm crank came my way and i couldn't resist. Soooooooo, as mentioned earlier i plan on leaving soft and will upgrade to the input shaft and hub. Hopefully it will live a while. But i just remembered i have the GM bolt pattern, so that is one little item out of the way for a changeover to glide, ahould i need to go that way.
Posted By: T-bar

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 07/16/22 07:32 AM

I still run a 727 but the only thing not billet was the output shaft but it's back at my trans builder getting new gears and a billet output shaft and the car is 3800 lbs on 275 radials. I'm similar to you as in I've backed myself into a corner with this box with the amount of money that's been spent on it. If I had to do it again it would definitely be a GM style trans, similar money ( bit dearer), but more ratios to choose, SFI cases and especially over here more parts availability.
Posted By: Tig

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 07/16/22 11:41 AM

Just for info, the H/D O/P shafts don't have the worm drive machined in for the speedometer. Just something to take into consideration if you have a car that does any street duty. twocents

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 08/05/22 01:39 AM

New hi strength input and hub showed up today! I am going to stay with the stock output shaft for now.

Attached picture PXL_20220804_012634087~2.jpg
Posted By: tvt59

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 08/07/22 07:27 PM

My 904 is doing pretty well at 6.08 and 112 in the 8th mile. 1.3 at 60'

Attached picture 20220410_150032.jpg

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 08/07/22 07:32 PM

Mine is a 540" B1 deal fwiw. It can run well into the 8's at 3600lbs and has never had any issues so far. As for consistency it seems prett good, nothing related to the trans anyway there. More the ability to keep the fnont end down has been the issue for me as we try to put the power in it. Still pulling fair amount of timing at the hit to tame that down, but slowing trying to ad it back. Hopefully new front shocks will be the ticket.

Need new shocks to calm the front rise and moreso the bounce when she lands. Then maybe I can put more power in it and one day maybe try something bigger than the single 4150 carb smile This was a low 9 teen pass here in Vegas problem is I was dialed 9.09 frown

Posted By: 71Demon528

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 08/08/22 12:57 PM

Wow, that wheelstand did get out of hand quick haha. One beautiful car. Love the 64-65 Plymouths.

Something I did not see posted much on here when it comes to taming down the launch while still running a torqueflite is a 1st gear change. Rick Allison sells a 2.28 helical cut rear planetary while maintaining the same second gear ratio of 1.45. Rick also sells a 2.28/1.45/1:1 straight cut planetary set but they are pricey. I have the 2.28/1.45/1:1 straight cut planetary in my trans but I have a backup torqueflite which I intend to one day put in the 2.28 helical cut rear planetary.

The 2.28 helical cut rear planetary is way cheaper than switching to a glide and it does help keep the launch more controllable. I have considered the glide as well but its very expensive to switch over. Especially since I have two very expensive torqueflites from A&A transmissions along with 2 torque converters from turbo action and I have a very expensive Precision Performance Products shifter.

I think the 2.28 first gear compared to a 2.45 first gear is a good thing for cars that leave hard with higher HP. Granite, I do not have the 572+ cubic inch and 572-13 heads, but my car has always left very hard even when it was footbrake car. When I switched to the transbrake I put the 2.28 trans in and it was very consistent 60' and much more controllable.

1.18 60' best
1.21-1.22 60' regularly
2835lbs
528 Wedge
440-1
71 Dodge Demon

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 08/08/22 04:57 PM

Pull a 727 apart then lay the stuff out on a table, now do the PG the same way. Compare the parts for differences. imo it’s the aftermarket cases where most of the strength is found. One can buy better shafts, drums, gears, sprag but you still have that flexible case.

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 08/08/22 05:13 PM

There are a number of gearsets available for a Proflite. Mine is and F1 2.24/1.48. Choices go from first gears of 1.78 all the way to 3.20, why they are so popular in Comp, SS and Stock. We have two transmissions for the Vette one is an F8, 2.18/1.48 the other is and an E8 2.25/1.51. The parts to run this stuff are not cheap for sure and from my experience they work great for higher HP stuff but when the torque numbers start going up they can become a problem. Some friends with a TS car tried for about 6 months to make one work for their combo with one of the big name shops in the end they just couldn't take the torque and they went to a TH400 based unit
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 08/08/22 06:00 PM

I wonder if a 727/Proflite can handle near 1300HP? How would it perform against a 2.10 first T400? What would the difference be in cost? Assuming you'd bellhousing the 727 for a larger converter?

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 08/08/22 09:02 PM

I am certainly not familiar with the proflite but I have heard of guys going to T400 for many reasons. Guys I race with, including myself, have said if we ever had to switch from 727 it would be to a T400 mainly cause the availability of parts, first gear ratios, and SFI case.
Posted By: SCDaytona

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 08/09/22 01:08 AM

Lonnie Johnson runs a proflite in his comp car using an ex pro stock motor. Last when I spoke with him, he had 150 passes on it and was going to rebuild as needed soon. That motor has to be making over 1300 to maybe 1400 Hp.

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 08/09/22 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by 71Demon528
I am certainly not familiar with the proflite but I have heard of guys going to T400 for many reasons. Guys I race with, including myself, have said if we ever had to switch from 727 it would be to a T400 mainly cause the availability of parts, first gear ratios, and SFI case.

There are 60 gear ration options available. Here is the list of what just ProTrans makes...

http://www.protransracing.com/images/PRO%20TRANS%20RATIO%20CHART.pdf

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 08/09/22 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by HardcoreB
I wonder if a 727/Proflite can handle near 1300HP? How would it perform against a 2.10 first T400? What would the difference be in cost? Assuming you'd bellhousing the 727 for a larger converter?

HP is not the killer torque seems to be from what I have seen. Think TS type stuff with large engines with lots of strokes that are making 4 digit TQ numbers... They are in a LOT of comp cars making good HP from many sources. A1, Joels, Mcclay, ProTrans etc

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 08/09/22 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Al_Alguire
Originally Posted by 71Demon528

There are 60 gear ration options available. Here is the list of what just ProTrans makes...

http://www.protransracing.com/images/PRO%20TRANS%20RATIO%20CHART.pdf

Thank you! I never knew there was this much available. Always good to learn something.

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 08/09/22 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Al_Alguire
Originally Posted by HardcoreB

HP is not the killer torque seems to be from what I have seen. Think TS type stuff with large engines with lots of strokes that are making 4 digit TQ numbers... They are in a LOT of comp cars making good HP from many sources. A1, Joels, Mcclay, ProTrans etc

Yep, torque, and shock loads. As a farm kid, i watched a big truck climbing a sialage pile, and snap an axle in the process. A truck trans in SUPER LOW has a top speed of about 5 mph? That is axle braking torque if you aren't carefull. And the motors wete less than 200 hp. But a ratio of something like 7/1 can wreak havoc if missused.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 08/11/22 05:14 PM

and now for the "stoopid old man question of the day".............
as the 727 case flexes, would a 1/4" [3/8", 1/2" ???] plate bolted to the pan rail with just enough clearance to bolt the valve body on and allow everything to spin and work as needed, acting as a girdle, do anything ? shruggy
my old mind is just thinking off on a tangent like always.
beer
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 08/11/22 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by moparx
and now for the "stoopid old man question of the day".............
as the 727 case flexes, would a 1/4" [3/8", 1/2" ???] plate bolted to the pan rail with just enough clearance to bolt the valve body on and allow everything to spin and work as needed, acting as a girdle, do anything ? shruggy
my old mind is just thinking off on a tangent like always.
beer

I have heard of that being done but wayyy but in time...it seems like it may girdle things to me.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 08/11/22 05:40 PM

"if" one were to try this, how thick would one have to be to be effective ?
just throwing this out there in a "mind experiment".
i would not expect this to work a miracle, but just wondering if this is a wasteful exercise, or something worth pursuing for a street/strip car.
beer

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 08/11/22 05:54 PM

If you were worried about it, bolt on one of the thick cast pans. To be honest in my opinion very few have enough power to hurt a decent 727. I know I don't.
Doug

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 08/11/22 06:38 PM

I’m thinking the flex would be at the band anchors more. With a girdle 1/2” thick or more, the gear selector would have to be extended. Can you imagine if JW made a 727 ultra case, most of those PG would go up for sale. Plenty of second gear sets for a 2 speed 727.
Posted By: LA360

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 08/11/22 09:49 PM

I remember seeing someone make a pan girdle for C4 Ford transmissions. It was basically a deep oil pan with sides the width of the oil pan gasket. Not sure if it helped or not
Posted By: racerx

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 08/12/22 01:45 AM

Has anyone here ever seen signs of case Flex? I would think that a mid-plate would support the converter housing end. shruggy

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 08/12/22 02:07 AM

Suspend the engine with a front plate and trans mount and watch the flex in the engine-trans. Long time ago a friend had a 64 Dodge Hemi 4 speed setup like I said, would not shift at speed till a mid plate was added. This was with the cast steel factory blow proof bell and iron case 833. The 727 is thin on top

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 08/12/22 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by dvw
If you were worried about it, bolt on one of the thick cast pans. To be honest in my opinion very few have enough power to hurt a decent 727. I know I don't.
Doug

I started putting the thick cast aluminum pans after Dave Smith at Pro Trans recommend that tranny pans on a long time ago up
I had been buying and using the cheaper stamp steel deep pan kit from Mopar but I decided to take his advice and switch.
In all truthfulness I didn't see a major change or benefit in that low 11.1 teen bracket car with no trans brake back then.shruggy confused
My old pump gas Duster had one on it and the tranny fluid never got above 170 F on the street beating on it or driving it nice work scope
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 08/12/22 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by tvt59
My 904 is doing pretty well at 6.08 and 112 in the 8th mile. 1.3 at 60'

Decided a couple years ago to play with the 904 we’ve had laying around some 20 years.

Attached picture 920D6DF7-2FB2-4F63-A7FF-545C89EC8A53.jpeg
Posted By: 572charger

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 08/25/22 12:47 PM

i'm at 1450 hp and over 1200 lb ft torque [ was on a engine dyno ] ive got my own built 727 behind it, ' only stock parts are case and the output shaft at the moment, no trans brake yet thats next along with a output shaft , so far no problems its in my 3980 lb street car ive been 8.80s at 165 mph i cant get it ti 60ft yet 1.45 60ft only problem is nobody will build a torque convertor for it !!!!!!!!! 0nly one convertor co out of 5 said they would ,only because they said the trans will break at that power level i just laughed and hung up ,

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 08/25/22 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by 572charger
i'm at 1450 hp and over 1200 lb ft torque [ was on a engine dyno ] ive got my own built 727 behind it, ' only stock parts are case and the output shaft at the moment, no trans brake yet thats next along with a output shaft , so far no problems its in my 3980 lb street car ive been 8.80s at 165 mph i cant get it ti 60ft yet 1.45 60ft only problem is nobody will build a torque convertor for it !!!!!!!!! 0nly one convertor co out of 5 said they would ,only because they said the trans will break at that power level i just laughed and hung up ,

Converter companies are all hung up on Chevy stuff, that’s all they know. Sounds funny but Mopars make different torque than other engines, I sent one back 4 times to get it tighter (I gave all the data first) first 9” blew thru 7000 on trans brake. But they worked with me until it was 5700 on the brake.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 08/25/22 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by 572charger

Your car looked awesome...great job, and I am not sure everyone really knows you race it/drive it, and what a monster it is.

Saw your car on Road Kill Nites the other week, and it looks like its spinning out of the hole...Then again, that is not a race track, but I am sure you saw how some guys hooked with no problem there...When you do get it to hook, you will find the weakest link. We have trying out Hoosiers new DOT legal slick, and man those things work!

As for convertors, call ATI. That guy knows how to do them for the big engines like yours. I called all over, and they were the only ones that answered and said no problem....I am at half your HP and my street car 60fts a 1.33 on leaf springs & caltracks...My race car 60fts a 1.29 with a four link and sway bar....Might be time to revisit the suspension on yours.

See you around Jim...
Randy

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 08/25/22 03:13 PM

I believe that GM converters are roughly .700" wider thru the cross section front to back. So the shape may be different. That may be why there isn't a huge data base for very high power Mopar trans converters.
Doug

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 08/25/22 03:39 PM

I've always been told that there just isn't enough surface area inside a mopar style torque converter to get the holding power for high powered combos. The shape of the bellhousing dictates the converter be smaller than the GM stuff. All the more reason to go to a powerglide or turbo 400 setup.
Now, how much power is the limit? I don't know.

Having said that, there are guys making good power AND running good ETs w/ 727s. Brad Watt, Scott Cheek, and Larry Boyd all make REAL good power and still use a 727.
My converter (Atlantic Coast Converters) seems to work really good, but I'm not where those guys are. Mine is somewhere in the 1150 hp range.
Posted By: LA360

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 08/26/22 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by dvw
I believe that GM converters are roughly .700" wider thru the cross section front to back. So the shape may be different. That may be why there isn't a huge data base for very high power Mopar trans converters.
Doug

Would be one of the reasons that ProFlite transmissions run a GM converter. Pro Trans make a Powerglide splined input shaft and stator support, and adapter plate to make the bellhousing deeper.

Some purists want to stay with a A727, so much so, a friend asked me if I would make him a billet A727 case.
Posted By: 572charger

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 08/26/22 01:49 AM

Randy. ATI will not build a torque converter for my car they said you will break the trans and u can't run a 727 at that power level he was very ignorant who ever it was I had a ATI in the car on no2 I still have it itwas dthemis convertor. The torque of the f2 runs it over. I am getting. The chassis better I re set the caltrac it getting better. I just need my tuner at the track for 1 day its close.
Posted By: fbs63

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 08/27/22 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by dvw

The convertor in the GTX is a 10" PTC that is as tight as they can make it and still have the turbo spool. The trans has every aftermarket part you can put in it. Next step is to space the trans back or use a Browell bellhousing and a GM convertor built for a 727. PTC will do it. On a side note the trans has a 2.10 straight cut gear set in it. Amazing how much power you can put in it off the line with this. If he was starting from scratch he would have a SFI case T400 in but too much invested in the 727.

Re: Torqueflite strength? - 08/27/22 04:47 PM

[quote=

The trans has every aftermarket part you can put in it. Next step is to space the trans back or use a Browell bellhousing and a GM convertor built for a 727. PTC will do it. On a side note the trans has a 2.10 straight cut gear set in it. Amazing how much power you can put in it off the line with this. If he was starting from scratch he would have a SFI case T400 in but too much invested in the 727. [/quote]
Have you talk to or look into a Pro Trans 3 speed Pro Flyte?
I will next year before deciding if the new car gets a Pro Flyte or a FTI Powerglide work
© 2024 Moparts Forums