Moparts

Throttle body EFI with E85 fuel

Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Throttle body EFI with E85 fuel - 06/19/22 06:03 PM

Does anybody here run E85 through their throttle body EFI system? I'm building a 408 Magnum small block for a friend and he is asking me about running EFI and what brand he should buy and which one is compatible with E85.
Thank you

Gus beer
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Throttle body EFI with E85 fuel - 06/19/22 06:18 PM

Talk to Rich at FAST Man EFI. Rich is a moparts member but he doesn't check in very often. It can be done but the fuel volume is higher than with gas so you have to select larger injectors.

Re: Throttle body EFI with E85 fuel - 06/20/22 01:35 AM

Thanks Andy I can't find too much information about throttle bodies with the larger injectors already installed for E85. One less thing for me to do when I set this thing up and get the engine and fuel system installed.

Gus beer
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Throttle body EFI with E85 fuel - 06/20/22 02:44 AM

I would think a 2x4 system would get you 8 reasonable sized injectors instead of 4 monsters that might not control fuel at idle as well. You need to increase your fuel flow by about 30% over gasoline. Rich will know if 4 injectors are capable of that without maxing out the duty cycle.

Kevin

Re: Throttle body EFI with E85 fuel - 06/20/22 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by fourgearsavoy
Thanks Andy I can't find too much information about throttle bodies with the larger injectors already installed for E85. One less thing for me to do when I set this thing up and get the engine and fuel system installed.

Gus beer

All depends on how much power the engine is going to make. Holley doesn't recommend E85 with the Sniper products, not sure about the Terminator. Some racers use E85 with the Holley Sniper but they flush the system after each race.

Re: Throttle body EFI with E85 fuel - 06/20/22 03:37 AM

You might want to watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G14ibxBDs8&t=24s

Is this a race car or a street car? Is he going to run E85 only or set it up for flex fuel? NA or Boost?
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Throttle body EFI with E85 fuel - 06/20/22 11:43 AM

So when I talked to Rich at Fastman EFI....If you have enough injector and fuel pump, you take the base line engine size and multiply it by a percentage. I think it was 30-40% and then just ran it on E85.....So if your running a 340, you tell it your running a 476...And away it goes. Call Rich....
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Throttle body EFI with E85 fuel - 06/20/22 03:56 PM

He would probably be better off with some kind of port injection setup where he can use an E85 safe injector. It costs more in the long run but would probably be cheaper than whatever may fail that was not designed for E85 inside of a sniper.

Re: Throttle body EFI with E85 fuel - 06/20/22 10:14 PM

It's just going to be a regular old street car with maybe 450 HP cam is going to be low end torque cam. He just wants a turn key street car with reliable smooth performance. I think he should just go with a dual plane intake and a Thunder series AVS carb but he wanted to check into the whole EFI thing.

Gus beer
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Throttle body EFI with E85 fuel - 06/22/22 12:25 PM

I think most of them can run E-85 as long as they have injectors that can handle the extra flow rate for the HP level.

The '71 Charger has the Fitech Go-EFI 8 PA (1200HP) TBI. it has eight 80# injectors in the throttle body. I think on E-85 it could support about 800 HP?
Currently running 100 octane gas, but upgrading the 340LPH fuel pump to a 450LPH E-85 Walbro pump to run E-85. Engine is 12.4:1 compression.

I just got a Sniper unit for my 360, but no plan to run E-85, although it says it can. It only has 9.5:1 compression.
Posted By: Uberpube

Re: Throttle body EFI with E85 fuel - 06/23/22 02:00 AM

Any half decent stand alone efi computer should be able to handle a 4 injector setup even with big injectors. I ran a 1.3 2 rotor engine on 4x160lb/hr on gasolone with an ancient haltech e6k in batched/staged configuration, it had no problems running them at idle.
© 2024 Moparts Forums