Moparts

Best hp per $$ items for an 8 second build

Posted By: gregsdart

Best hp per $$ items for an 8 second build - 06/10/22 10:37 AM

After having gone down the wrong road more than a few times over the years, i thought it would be good to get opinions on where to put the money to build an 8 second door car? Lets hear it,,,!

Re: Best hp per $$ items for an 8 second build - 06/10/22 10:46 AM

Well, i will start, cubic inchs. Buy all you can. Aluminum 4.5 bore block.
Light weight race disc brakes, due to weight savings
Lithium battery and leave it up front. ( 16.5 lbs, save at least 8 to 10 lbs on cables to back of car)
Chrome moly cage, mustang II front, ladderbars

Re: Best hp per $$ items for an 8 second build - 06/10/22 11:06 AM

According to one wallace calculater, it takes 3.6 hp per lb or less to achieve a hi 8 second run, for referance
Posted By: Tig

Re: Best hp per $$ items for an 8 second build - 06/10/22 11:09 AM

Light car, big tyre chassis. Total opposite to what I've done grin
Posted By: dvw

Re: Best hp per $$ items for an 8 second build - 06/10/22 11:42 AM

We already know. We just don't do it. Don't start with a factory car. Use a light 4 link, strut, tube chassis, panel car. A big engine with high compression. My original short block with similar -1 heads went 8.10@169, 2470lbs 10 years ago before I got it.
Doug
Posted By: rb446

Re: Best hp per $$ items for an 8 second build - 06/10/22 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Tig

Your 655 in my not so light 3300lb '69 Cuda would've gone 8.50>60's@155 if the 2x3 chassis would've handled it. up

As for parts we have a '69 Cuda going 8.70's@154 with an all ally 540 low deck motor on alky with rons toilet, -1's and an .800-ish roller.
Posted By: racerx

Re: Best hp per $$ items for an 8 second build - 06/10/22 12:30 PM

My original short block with similar -1 heads went 8.10@169, 2470lbs 10 years ago before I got it.
Doug

Doug...what kind of chassis/car was this?
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Best hp per $$ items for an 8 second build - 06/10/22 01:14 PM

The boosted guys tend to go a different route....ebay turbo & a junkyard LS seems to be all they need.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Best hp per $$ items for an 8 second build - 06/10/22 01:36 PM

Member here TS3303. Tube chassis latter model Daytona.
Doug
Posted By: Tig

Re: Best hp per $$ items for an 8 second build - 06/10/22 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by rb446
Originally Posted by Tig

Your 655 in my not so light 3300lb '69 Cuda would've gone 8.50>60's@155 if the 2x3 chassis would've handled it. up

Still hopeful that we will dip into the 8's in good air with the 655, needs an honest 1100hp though. wink
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Best hp per $$ items for an 8 second build - 06/10/22 03:54 PM

Nitrous
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Best hp per $$ items for an 8 second build - 06/10/22 03:57 PM

Remove weight.

From what you have or by trading up to a lighter car.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Best hp per $$ items for an 8 second build - 06/10/22 04:17 PM

No doubt lighter is better period! Cheaper to loose weight than build power. There is no "magic bullet" but having a goal and a plan and STICKING to it will usually yield the desired result. Also having the "want to" is a large part of it, as long as the goals are REALISTIC!

Having said all that been a LONG time since I have NOT had an 8 second car. My 64 has been in the 8's at 3600. I would imagine it makes less power than many here think. It is still a work in progress as well. I just cut the old age out and put a new moly one in it, still have some ignition issue to find and that will likely lead to a complete rewire if the car. My current goal is to run an 8 here in Vegas. We have been 9.teens so far here and one hero run a tad quicker. I just plan to refine whats already done, converter is a tad tight, shocks are just ok and until I can get the chassis to work with all the power in at the hit Ill likely not make my goal. But I know its achievable and realistic. We are also hoping with a few minor changes to the dragsters engine to be in the 6's with a BB Mopar NA...My truck I am building for .90 stuff so ultimately the ET goal does not matter as setting a car up for max MPH on the stop is not the way to go the quickest ET's but hopefully it can go 5.0's in the 1/8 in great air.
Posted By: 440lebaron

Re: Best hp per $$ items for an 8 second build - 06/10/22 04:40 PM

tube chassis lebaron 540 .750 roller 1150 dom 2450lbs 8.85 155
used race car $10,000-20,000 engine 10,000 = $30.000 ?

Posted By: mgoblue9798

Re: Best hp per $$ items for an 8 second build - 06/10/22 05:17 PM

Nitrous
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Best hp per $$ items for an 8 second build - 06/10/22 06:14 PM

The cheapest power you can get right now is probably a stock bottom end LS, Gen III Hemi, or Coyote ford with a turbo charger on it. Its insane how fast some low budge builds have gone. One of our own members has stepped over to the darkside and gas a 8 second turbo LS mustang, I just can't remember his screen name lol.

The sloppy mechanics 8 seconds for $8000 build was interesting also. Started with nothing but knowledge and went 8.83 for 8000ish. Link https://sites.google.com/site/sloppywiki/sloppy-builds/8s-for-8-mustang
Posted By: TheOtherDodge

Re: Best hp per $$ items for an 8 second build - 06/10/22 06:32 PM

Hey Greg! wave If/When I get my junk truck in the 8's, then I will chime on on this tread! whistling
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Best hp per $$ items for an 8 second build - 06/10/22 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Bad340fish
The cheapest power you can get right now is probably a stock bottom end LS, Gen III Hemi, or Coyote ford with a turbo charger on it. Its insane how fast some low budge builds have gone. One of our own members has stepped over to the darkside and gas a 8 second turbo LS mustang, I just can't remember his screen name lol.

The sloppy mechanics 8 seconds for $8000 build was interesting also. Started with nothing but knowledge and went 8.83 for 8000ish. Link https://sites.google.com/site/sloppywiki/sloppy-builds/8s-for-8-mustang

We should Just start calling this website “anything goes” or “whatever it takes”. Man Mopar guys are a different breed now.
Posted By: GY3

Re: Best hp per $$ items for an 8 second build - 06/10/22 07:41 PM

I love watching his builds. The white Colorado was awesome! Slammed together used bits with a China turbo and doing 1,000 HP at the rear wheels. He has a Fairmont waiting in the wings that should be interesting.

Re: Best hp per $$ items for an 8 second build - 06/10/22 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

We should Just start calling this website “anything goes” or “whatever it takes”. Man Mopar guys are a different breed now.

I accept all fast cars, the ones I own happen to be Mopars but I will pay attention and learn from all of it.

If my whole setup were to burn to the ground I would probably come back with a Fox body mustang with a Gen III hemi lol.
Posted By: GY3

Re: Best hp per $$ items for an 8 second build - 06/10/22 09:56 PM

I accept all fast cars, the ones I own happen to be Mopars but I will pay attention and learn from all of it.

If my whole setup were to burn to the ground I would probably come back with a Fox body mustang with a Gen III hemi lol.

Ditto!

A neighbor friend has a really cool '70 Chevelle that has an LS with a turbo. I love learning about tuning it and helping him with it when I can.

It's so quiet and streetable yet runs 11.40's @ 119 @ 3,700 lbs on a 150,000 mile van engine.
Posted By: Sammy

Re: Best hp per $$ items for an 8 second build - 06/10/22 10:13 PM

Definitely don't go my route. W9 in a 68 dart.
Ridiculous amount of money and labor.
Posted By: dizuster

Re: Best hp per $$ items for an 8 second build - 06/10/22 11:45 PM

From my experience it's hard to beat the turbo stuff if you're willing to fab a little.

The most expensive part isn't making 8 sec power, it's the 8 second fuel system, Trans, axle, suspension to make it all hook, chassis to cert 8.50, etc.

Power is pretty easy.

Grab a 6.4L Big Gas out of a junk yard truck. Has strong short block, hellcat head castings, add a cam and let ot rip.
Posted By: EvilB1Dart

Re: Best hp per $$ items for an 8 second build - 06/11/22 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Sammy
Definitely don't go my route. W9 in a 68 dart.
Ridiculous amount of money and labor.

LOL. What's it weigh on the line at the tree?
Posted By: cesar perez

Re: Best hp per $$ items for an 8 second build - 06/11/22 01:32 AM

Is that $30.000 car for sale?? Where is posy

Re: Best hp per $$ items for an 8 second build - 06/11/22 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by dvw
Member here TS3303. Tube chassis latter model Daytona.
Doug

Thanks Doug up

Re: Best hp per $$ items for an 8 second build - 06/11/22 02:55 AM

I talked to a local gen3 hemi racer who said a stock gen 3 turbocharged with ring gaps opened up made 1000 hp and lives! So, that looks like a good route to the 8s on the cheap, sorta.

Re: Best hp per $$ items for an 8 second build - 06/11/22 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by gregsdart
I talked to a local gen3 hemi racer who said a stock gen 3 turbocharged with ring gaps opened up made 1000 hp and lives! So, that looks like a good route to the 8s on the cheap, sorta.

Did you see the guy at a car show and did you ask him what it runs??? Or was it at a Bar.
Posted By: dizuster

Re: Best hp per $$ items for an 8 second build - 06/11/22 03:08 AM

Take a look at 80Volares build... 5.30s in.the 1/8th with turbo gen 3 power.

Re: Best hp per $$ items for an 8 second build - 06/11/22 11:23 AM

Did you see the guy at a car show and did you ask him what it runs??? Or was it at a Bar.

My buddy in high school had one just like it! lol

Re: Best hp per $$ items for an 8 second build - 06/11/22 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by dizuster

Grab a 6.4L Big Gas out of a junk yard truck. Has strong short block, hellcat head castings, add a cam and let ot rip.

If I stumble across something like that it will probably be bye bye LA motor for me. My Dad and I were just discussing what to do next with motor in my car. We started talking W9s and all that comes with and in the meantime I can't even get roller lifters for my current R1 block. Gen III really looks like the next good avenue.
Posted By: RTSE4ME

Re: Best hp per $$ items for an 8 second build - 06/11/22 12:29 PM

Gen 3s are great for a inexpensive boosted build or a mild n/a build. Once you start upgrading valvetrain parts it gets expensive fast.

Re: Best hp per $$ items for an 8 second build - 06/11/22 02:33 PM

laugh2....seriously tho i have herd of a few of those Gen's 3 powerplants making some steam but only a few. That guy that started the quest for the 4's thread seems to have a handle on it.
Posted By: merpar

Re: Best hp per $$ items for an 8 second build - 06/11/22 02:48 PM

I'm with Al, light weight is the best thing you can do for your car.. Makes it easier on parts and gets better mpg. Like A l says make a plan and stick to it. Every ounce adds up to pounds and a better et. Simple little things, example: wheel studs, do you need that extra inch sticking out? Just cut the excess off and leave a couple thds sticking out past the nut. Even those aluminum spacers, they don't need to be 3/4" thick.Those little things really add up Ain't nothing gooder than a light car.

Re: Best hp per $$ items for an 8 second build - 06/11/22 03:18 PM

I took a nice light car (my black duster) and took it from 2550 to 2880 in a year. Lol. But boy is it user friendly. I add alcohol every round just for something to do and race the dog-gone thing.

Re: Best hp per $$ items for an 8 second build - 06/11/22 06:45 PM

[quote=gregsdart]I talked to a local gen3 hemi racer who said a stock gen 3 turbocharged with ring gaps opened up made 1000 hp and lives! So, that looks like a good route to the 8s on the cheap, sorta.

Hey, thanks for the kind words. Doesn't matter to me if you believe it or not.

Re: Best hp per $$ items for an 8 second build - 06/12/22 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by TheOtherDodge
Hey Greg! wave If/When I get my junk truck in the 8's, then I will chime on on this tread! whistling

😃👍 Tell us your plan

Re: Best hp per $$ items for an 8 second build - 06/12/22 02:34 AM

I have thought that if i ever broke my BB stuff, i would go gen3/procharger, mechanical injection on methanol.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Best hp per $$ items for an 8 second build - 06/13/22 01:12 PM

I went w/ cubic inches and nitrous b/c my car is a sled and I prefer the old school stuff. Mine is somewhere around 3800 lbs depending on the scale and has been 8.90s. It's faster now, but I haven't made a 1/4 mile pass in 3 years.
I've never wanted a "race" car, which is why my car is still slow.

Attached picture fayetteville race.jpg
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Best hp per $$ items for an 8 second build - 06/13/22 01:42 PM

This is kind of a loaded question. We all know if you want an 8 second time slips, its simply HP to weight ratio. There are basically 3 types of cars looking for the same time slip. Street car, Bracket car, Class car.
© 2024 Moparts Forums