Moparts

Icon pistons

Posted By: johnnycuda

Icon pistons - 05/06/22 04:23 PM

Hey guys, I am building a 408 SBM for a 1938 Dodge truck, fun driver/street/strip kinda ride, ordered a set of Icon forged pistons from CNC Motorsports. I am just wondering if anyone has had any issues with this brand?, I have not used them, my last 3 engines had JE or Diamond pistons in the other cars. These are a pump gas, dished set, like 9.7 compression.
I should receive them Monday, shipping from KB. I remember hearing people having issues with the KB hypertectic pistons over the years.
Posted By: Azzkikrcuda

Re: Icon pistons - 05/06/22 04:27 PM

I have used them in a few builds, No issues so far.
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: Icon pistons - 05/06/22 04:29 PM

i've been driving around on a set of icons for 6yrs. no issues; would buy again. i've been using kb hypers for 27yrs; again never an issue and would use again.

Re: Icon pistons - 05/06/22 04:39 PM

Thats good to hear, thanks guys, I don't have the time to go thru things again, looking at moving later this year.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Icon pistons - 05/06/22 04:41 PM

Great pistons...No issues. Used them for many years in various builds.
Posted By: B1MAXX

Re: Icon pistons - 05/06/22 05:09 PM

icon are forged...kb is hyper
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: Icon pistons - 05/06/22 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by johnnycuda
I remember hearing people having issues with the KB hypertectic pistons over the years.

That's because machinists would not follow the instructions about skirt clearance and ring gap,. They work fine if you use them properly and do not let the engine detonate.

The Icons are average nothing special good bang for the buck forged pistons that will work fine for most people. They would not likely be considered appropriate for a max effort engine.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Icon pistons - 05/06/22 07:40 PM

Have Icons in my stroker, they are fine.
Fixing to upgrade the top end on mine here before I get it out. Shortblock will stay. Icons, forged Scat crank and Scat H beam rods. I think all of this stuff can take more power than a stock block could handle.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Icon pistons - 05/07/22 06:11 AM

I bought a set of their special race 572 C.I. B1 pistons for my next race B1 motor with 14.6 to1 compression and hoping to make 1000 + HP on E85 and add 150 to 500 HP of NOS. I was told by their tech guy they should live really well on the local 1/8-mile tracks using the NOS less than 6.0 seconds total WOT time using a set of Total Seal special NOS rings, hopefully race at WOT less than 5.0 seconds luck
Posted By: 67_Satellite

Re: Icon pistons - 05/07/22 01:57 PM

Running them in my boosted 470. They'll take enough to blow out studded M.L.S.head gaskets (accidental over boost) and keep on going.753 grams piston& pin.
Posted By: Hot 340

Re: Icon pistons - 05/07/22 06:13 PM

I have a set in my engine. They measure consistent everywhere. Good finish too. Hard to beat for the money. But DEF made south of the border. Heavy, but strong.

Attached picture 28164961_1687078081330530_7409466339857353284_o.jpg
Posted By: Biginchmopar

Re: Icon pistons - 05/07/22 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by GomangoCuda
I remember hearing people having issues with the KB hypertectic pistons over the years.

That's because machinists would not follow the instructions about skirt clearance and ring gap,. They work fine if you use them properly and do not let the engine detonate.

The Icons are average nothing special good bang for the buck forged pistons that will work fine for most people. They would not likely be considered appropriate for a max effort engine.

I believe you're completely misinformed about ICON pistons. I have what you would consider a MAX effort small block Mopar with ICON pistons in it and they have performed flawlessly.
950hp
9000rpm
Posted By: BigDaddy440

Re: Icon pistons - 05/08/22 12:58 AM

I dont think it's been mentioned, but Icon, KB, and Silvolite are all made by United Engine and Machine (UEM).

I have been using KB Hypers for 20 years and I always follow instructions for top ring gap. I've never had an issue.
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: Icon pistons - 05/08/22 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by Biginchmopar

That's because machinists would not follow the instructions about skirt clearance and ring gap,. They work fine i f you use them properly and do not let the engine detonate.

I believe you're completely misinformed about ICON pistons. I have what you would consider a MAX effort small block Mopar with ICON pistons in it and they have performed flawlessly.
950hp
9000rpm

Can you order customs or are they shelf pistons? To me a MAX effort small block Mopar would be a no expense spared Comp eliminator or Australian Prostock type engine. Probably no Icons there. Your definition of MAX may be different.
Posted By: Biginchmopar

Re: Icon pistons - 05/09/22 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Biginchmopar

That's because machinists would not follow the instructions about skirt clearance and ring gap,. They work fine i f you use them properly and do not let the engine detonate.

950hp
9000rpm

Can you order customs or are they shelf pistons? To me a MAX effort small block Mopar would be a no expense spared Comp eliminator or Australian Pro Stock type engine. Probably no Icons there. Your definition of MAX may be different.

Lets go a set farther I know Jeff Lutz has been running ICON's in his GTO, is that a MAX effort deal or do you need it to be Top Fuel? As far as Comp Eliminator and what I have is not much different. I know a Pro Stock team that would not hesitate to run an ICON piston. You can order a custom, might take a while.

I don't understand why you want to bash or degrade ICON pistons, have you ever really looked at a set? If I were to list other companies such as JE, Diamond, Ross ect... are they OK in your book to be MAX effort?

Sounds to me like your just another key board racer.

Re: Icon pistons - 05/09/22 11:21 PM

Thanks for all the information guys, this motor is going in a 38 Dodge truck, probably Edelbrock RPMs, have a 8.75 for the rear, and we made a set of CalTracs and Split Monos for it instead using the 83 year old parts. I would imagine high 11s or low-12s depending on what gear I get for it, mostly a fun driver since tracks here are limited.....yes, Cali sucks.

Re: Icon pistons - 05/10/22 11:43 AM

So are you thinking about getting KB hyper or Icon forged?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Icon pistons - 05/10/22 05:21 PM

I wouldn't put a cast piston in a lawn mower down twocents
I've seen to many of them destroyed in the oil pan when a part failed, detonation and other failures or in a bunch of small piece after some small debris was ingested into the motors down shruggy

Re: Icon pistons - 05/10/22 11:16 PM

I bought the Icon forged pistons, got them yesterday, look pretty nice, maybe a little heavier than the Diamond pistons in the 408 in my Valiant, but that is fine for what I am doing.

Originally Posted by B1MAXX

Re: Icon pistons - 05/11/22 11:48 AM

I bought the Icon forged pistons, got them yesterday, look pretty nice, maybe a little heavier than the Diamond pistons in the 408 in my Valiant, but that is fine for what I am doing.

Originally Posted by B1MAXX

Nice, I've used 2 sets of those. One was their FHR line which is cheaper version, and one set of their premium 2618. I think some on here don't know they make different forged lines. Comparing the FHR's to diamond really isn't the right comparison. The FHR is designed to be a good forged piston as cheap as possibe. Compare a premium series, now we are talking.
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: Icon pistons - 05/17/22 12:24 PM

My 440" W2 small block uses a SBC ICON circle track piston, mainly because it was the right CH for my combo and I also wanted to take advantage of the lighter .927 pin. I was very impressed with them. 440" with an 1850 gram bobweight is pretty responsive too.
© 2024 Moparts Forums