Moparts

greasing front wheel bearings

Posted By: dragon

greasing front wheel bearings - 05/05/22 02:01 AM

Why would you put grease on anything except the bearing and races I took the Anglia hub off and the center was packed with grease it looked like they put a can of grease in there I seen this before do not under stand. Thanks
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: greasing front wheel bearings - 05/05/22 02:49 AM

It’s to prevent any formation of rust which could then find its way to the bearings.
Posted By: Moparteacher

Re: greasing front wheel bearings - 05/05/22 04:14 AM

It's also a way to store grease for the next packing. It's an old trick mostly seen on older European cars. This is my understanding.
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: greasing front wheel bearings - 05/05/22 04:21 AM

To help the grease from coming out of the races. The idea is that grease can migrate to an empty space, but not to where there is already more grease.
Posted By: jwb123

Re: greasing front wheel bearings - 05/05/22 01:20 PM

You can over do it, but as mentioned, keeping the grease in the bearings is the goal, and preventing rust on the spindle, remember that as heat builds in the bearing the grease does not stay thick, it melts and becomes more liquid. Take a heat gun and see what it does to the grease you are using.
Posted By: sasquatch

Re: greasing front wheel bearings - 05/05/22 03:33 PM

Heck I know some Super Stock guys that do not even use any grease....just dip them in STP. Way less drag on the wheel. Same guy had the bearings adjusted out so far that the cotter pin would not even go in. Less drag...works to but kiddies DO NOT try that at home. Todd
Posted By: jbc426

Re: greasing front wheel bearings - 05/05/22 05:15 PM

Old autoshop teacher explained why almost 50 years ago. The reasons mentioned above are why. Don't fill the cavity between the inner and out bearings completely and don't forget to put a coating on the inside of the dust cap to prevent rust there too.
Posted By: mgoblue9798

Re: greasing front wheel bearings - 05/05/22 11:24 PM

I fill mine on my boat trailer axle to help prevent water intrusion. Maybe something similar is done for trucks?
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: greasing front wheel bearings - 05/06/22 08:18 AM

I thought a bunch of extra grease holds heat in there. I never had bearing trouble and I don’t pack the cap or anything like that.
Posted By: madscientist

Re: greasing front wheel bearings - 05/06/22 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by SomeCarGuy
I thought a bunch of extra grease holds heat in there. I never had bearing trouble and I don’t pack the cap or anything like that.

It takes heat to get the grease to become liquid. Then it cools the hot spot and becomes solid again. There should be grease on the inside of the bearing. Centrifugal force causes it to move out.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: greasing front wheel bearings - 05/06/22 01:10 PM

Doesn't anyone read the FSM?

Attached picture wheel bearing.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums