Moparts

T400 into E Body

Posted By: T-bar

T400 into E Body - 04/24/22 08:49 PM

Who here has done or seen how much you have to take out of the trans tunnel on an E body to fit a T400 trans? Or do they fit straight in?
Posted By: John Burdine

Re: T400 into E Body - 04/26/22 03:56 AM

Bump for you!
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: T400 into E Body - 04/26/22 12:16 PM

I have no info for you, other than you're probably not gonna get an answer on this here.
I'm curious myself, although if I was to change I'd go w/ a powerglide just because of the size difference. twocents
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: T400 into E Body - 04/26/22 12:33 PM

A Turbo 400 fits into an A body tunnel...But most likely the t bar crossmember needs to be trimmed or even removed at the top of the tunnel. The Turbo 400 is larger at the tail than the 727 is. In my a body i sliced the crossmember and boxed it back in to make it shorter. Now , i just took it out completely. Other than that i have the stock trans tunnel.
Posted By: Clanton

Re: T400 into E Body - 04/26/22 01:59 PM

I did a th400 in my 69 b body with only mode on the x member and posted pics 2 yrs ago. and had lots of room(1" min all over clearence) here is my link th400 topic

Attached picture S1080002.JPG
Attached picture 20200821_155005-(2).jpg
Attached picture th400 trans brace 2.jpg

Re: T400 into E Body - 04/26/22 06:02 PM

Thanks for the info.
Posted By: Clanton

Re: T400 into E Body - 04/27/22 04:02 PM

To check things more yourself I used a coat hanger bent around a 727 at its widest point(center) and down past the center line of the in/out shaft and then held it to my trans tunnel in witch it showed lots of room.The ultra bell is a little more bulge in its center more than the 727 and the tail shaft was closer than I figured but with just a couple fittings of the trans mount to the tail shaft it fit good for me.If I can guide you in any way like this lmk.I hope this was helpful.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: T400 into E Body - 04/27/22 06:55 PM

Why do you want to run one of those power robbing turbo 400 trannies in a Mopar? shruggy
Posted By: Tig

Re: T400 into E Body - 04/27/22 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Why do you want to run one of those power robbing turbo 400 trannies in a Mopar? shruggy

Hmmm......I only know of 2 mopars that have done that swap. Both cars were big tyre chassis cars and they both improved ET with no other changes. But....was it down to a better converter.... or the more efficient 2-3 gear change shruggy All I know is a TH400 and a 9" are both considered options on my long term upgrade list work .
Posted By: John Burdine

Re: T400 into E Body - 04/27/22 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tig

Hmmm......I only know of 2 mopars that have done that swap. Both cars were big tyre chassis cars and they both improved ET with no other changes. But....was it down to a better converter.... or the more efficient 2-3 gear change shruggy All I know is a TH400 and a 9" are both considered options on my long term upgrade list work .

The Reid case is another nice option you cant get for a 727.

Re: T400 into E Body - 04/28/22 06:59 AM

Well the main reason for looking at the 400 was in the future I will be going procharger and looking at 1800 hp at the motor so not huge horse power but more than i think a 727 would handle. I've got new 1st and 2nd gears ( reduce the SLR) for my current box and after talking my trans guy we will be going a billet output shaft as well. Unfortunately i have already put a lot of money into this box so now the new gears have shown up i will stick with this one. I wish i had done more research when i got this motor together and went to the 400 first.
Posted By: Tig

Re: T400 into E Body - 04/28/22 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by 493_john
Originally Posted by Tig

Indeed, the SFi case is another advantage. After reading another post on how some manufacturers are discontinuing parts for Dana 60's, I think fitting a 9" has moved to the short term upgrade list grin
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: T400 into E Body - 04/28/22 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Tig
Originally Posted by 493_john
Originally Posted by Tig

Indeed, the SFi case is another advantage. After reading another post on how some manufacturers are discontinuing parts for Dana 60's, I think fitting a 9" has moved to the short term upgrade list grin

I saw that too. blush
If money weren't an issue, I'd already have a glide in my car. Parts start getting scarce and I'll be ditching the Dana too.
At this point in life, my car has become way less of a priority/moneypit to me. It is what it is. It'll run what it runs w/ what I have already.
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: T400 into E Body - 04/28/22 03:28 PM

Ask Chrysler they but them in many of the Drag Pack Challengers.
© 2024 Moparts Forums