Moparts

Edelbrock and 440 Source water pumps

Posted By: hemienvy

Edelbrock and 440 Source water pumps - 04/17/22 05:57 PM

Edelbrock 8814 pump, if you are using it, what water manifold are you using, and is it keeping the engine cool ?

440 Source 113-1005 pump, if you are using it, what water manifold are you using, and is it keeping the engine cool ?
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Edelbrock and 440 Source water pumps - 04/17/22 06:16 PM

I went with a Flowkooler pump when I had some issues with my cooling system and I really like how much coolant it moves even at idle. It's mounted on a Mancini housing.

Gus beer

Attached picture 007-flowkooler-mopar-water-pump.jpg
Posted By: turbobitt

Re: Edelbrock and 440 Source water pumps - 04/17/22 06:32 PM

I am also using the FlowKooler pump but on a 440 source housing. I had switched out my big aluminum radiator to a more stock appearing Glen Ray radiator with a stock shroud and clutch fan setup and it actually runs cooler than the dual electric fans and aluminum radiator. I was wondering if the water pump was going to be gimmicky but it seems to actually work. FWIW this is on a 572 Hemi with 11:1 compression, aluminum heads and a decent roller cam.

AG.
Posted By: migsBIG

Re: Edelbrock and 440 Source water pumps - 04/17/22 06:53 PM

That pump looks nice. Looking to upgrade mine as well.
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: Edelbrock and 440 Source water pumps - 04/17/22 07:29 PM

my car runs 10-20 degrees hotter with the edelbrock/440 source type pump. currently using a flow kooler but have had good luck with a pump that has the longer 6 blades with the anti-cavitation disc; IIRC milodon.

Re: Edelbrock and 440 Source water pumps - 04/17/22 07:33 PM

I was just looking at the Flow Cooler.

There appears to be two water manifold "depths" for the vanes over the years. Early manifolds with drivers side inlet
and later, deeper, with passenger side inlet. Most of the aftermarket pumps appear to be for the early shallower type
manifold. Shallow meaning the angled circular floor is not machined as deep. So certain pumps can't be used with this
design manifold because the vanes would contact the floor when you bolt the pump down and the pump couldn't turn.
And vice versa, a shallow pump in a deep manifold won't cool at all.
Posted By: CSK

Re: Edelbrock and 440 Source water pumps - 04/17/22 07:51 PM

I have the 440 source pump & housing, keeps my 512 with cold AC running 185 ish all day long, in the summer heat 106 deg

Re: Edelbrock and 440 Source water pumps - 04/19/22 12:21 AM

I just looked at Milodon, I don't like it when they say "fits 1959 to 1979 big blocks".

It depends on which water manifold you have.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Edelbrock and 440 Source water pumps - 04/19/22 02:07 AM

What is a water manifold on BB Mopar V8s ? confused
Posted By: A727Tflite

Re: Edelbrock and 440 Source water pumps - 04/19/22 04:45 AM

J
Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
What is a water manifold on BB Mopar V8s ? confused

The water pump housing.
Posted By: Moparteacher

Re: Edelbrock and 440 Source water pumps - 04/21/22 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by hemienvy
I was just looking at the Flow Cooler.

There appears to be two water manifold "depths" for the vanes over the years. Early manifolds with drivers side inlet
and later, deeper, with passenger side inlet. Most of the aftermarket pumps appear to be for the early shallower type
manifold. Shallow meaning the angled circular floor is not machined as deep. So certain pumps can't be used with this
design manifold because the vanes would contact the floor when you bolt the pump down and the pump couldn't turn.
And vice versa, a shallow pump in a deep manifold won't cool at all.

I put my Flowcooler on an older Canadian made aluminum housing. Used putty to imprint the vane depth. Then had the mounting surface on the housing milled till the vanes barely touched the bottom. Used the gasket to move the vanes off the bottom. Current clearance between vanes and bottom of angled circular floor is .015". Ya' it moves water.
Posted By: fbs63

Re: Edelbrock and 440 Source water pumps - 04/21/22 11:03 AM

What water pump housing do you have? I know the early 440source housings were cast with smaller water passages that caused cooling issues. Also running lean or trying to run retarded timing to compensate for low octane will also cause cooling issues.
Posted By: Brad_Haak

Re: Edelbrock and 440 Source water pumps - 04/21/22 01:03 PM

An Edelbrock pump in an MP aluminum housing worked better for me than an OEM pump in an OEM iron housing. IIRC, the temps while sitting in traffic weren't much different, but the car cooled down faster and temps were more consistent.
© 2024 Moparts Forums