Moparts

Hitting the track! What's it gonna run?

Posted By: feets

Hitting the track! What's it gonna run? - 04/03/22 01:01 AM

I'm taking the pig to the track. What's it gonna run?

5100 lbs
2.65 open rear gear
5 speed auto
275/35-20 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

It has this thing with torque...

Attached picture Kevin Alexander 2013 CL65 Baselines-2.jpeg
Posted By: RTSrunner

Re: Hitting the track! What's it gonna run? - 04/03/22 02:26 AM

You need a couple Twister decals on there with that torque! No idea what that will run,but are you planning on a lower rear gear at some point since you have the 5-speed?

Re: Hitting the track! What's it gonna run? - 04/03/22 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by RTSrunner
You need a couple Twister decals on there with that torque! No idea what that will run,but are you planning on a lower rear gear at some point since you have the 5-speed?

No. This is a Mercedes CL65. I'm just playing with it, not turning it into a drag car.

However, I do have a limited slip diff on order. It should cut down on the wheel spin at 50 mph.

Re: Hitting the track! What's it gonna run? - 04/03/22 02:24 PM

I know this thing is no drag racer so I expected one of those slow ET high speed mismatches. Ready to see a 12.4 but hoping for an 11.9 I dropped the tire pressure to 30 psi (performance radial, not a drag tire) and got in line. The track was prepped fairly well so I brought the revs up to 1200 and put it to the mat on green. It left fairly well like that.
After a couple fairly good hooks I tried leaning in the converter at 1800 rpm but it annihilated the tires and killed the pass.

I knew the holeshot would be the hard part so focused on that, not chopping down the tree.

She's a big girl but will lift her skirt and run.

Attached picture 20220403_091708.jpg
Attached picture 20220403_085751.jpg
Attached picture 20220403_085823.jpg
Attached picture 20220403_085711.jpg
Posted By: topside

Re: Hitting the track! What's it gonna run? - 04/03/22 02:33 PM

Pretty dang consistent beast ya got there, given it was a test session.
I'm actually surprised at the weight, so 11.80s is impressive IMO.

Re: Hitting the track! What's it gonna run? - 04/03/22 03:26 PM

I expected a bit more weight. They're supposedly 4940 lbs. I had driven 30 miles on a full tank. Then, you've got to account for my bloated 235 lb carcass.

The wheelspin run had a 2.1 short time and a 13.06 @ 118.

On my only other run I tried a bit more RPM on the converter and pedaling the car. It rewarded me with a 1.95 60' and 11.95 @ 119.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Hitting the track! What's it gonna run? - 04/03/22 04:34 PM

That car is doing well bow up
There are very few old muscle cars, let alone a new car, that will run those times bow
Have fun wrench
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Hitting the track! What's it gonna run? - 04/03/22 05:51 PM

I didn't have a clue what it would run, but I bet it's a hoot on the street!

Re: Hitting the track! What's it gonna run? - 04/03/22 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
That car is doing well bow up
There are very few old muscle cars, let alone a new car, that will run those times bow
Have fun wrench

I was likely the only one getting a massage while watching Full Metal Jacket in the staging lanes. 😁
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Hitting the track! What's it gonna run? - 04/03/22 08:43 PM

High 11's is really hauling balls for a full boogie luxury car. That is faster than any of the "classic" muscle cars and is on par with many of the newer muscle/super cars.
Posted By: Brad_Haak

Re: Hitting the track! What's it gonna run? - 04/03/22 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by AndyF
High 11's is really hauling balls for a full boogie luxury car. That is faster than any of the "classic" muscle cars and is on par with many of the newer muscle/super cars.

No sh!t; I don't even know what feets' car looks like, but I know it runs hard with that sort of ET slip eek

Re: Hitting the track! What's it gonna run? - 04/04/22 12:39 AM

It'll be purty again once I get rid of the yellow on the calipers.

Attached picture listings-1.jpg
Attached picture listings-2.jpg
Attached picture listings.jpg

Re: Hitting the track! What's it gonna run? - 04/04/22 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by justinp61
I didn't have a clue what it would run, but I bet it's a hoot on the street!

It can be a bit frustrating, actually. It is traction limited under 55 mph. The right rear breaks loose, gers grabbed by ESP, then the left rear spins. Once the left gets a brake bump the right turns again. That irritates the ESP so it dumps boost and upshifts.
ESP can be turned down but not off.

Now, giving it a squirt of boost on the highway is entertaining. I have the Torque Pro app and tried out the 60-130 mph timer.
To get a proper time, you roll in at 50 mph so you're at full gallop when the timer starts. One run broke traction and had ESP interference. The other run went properly. On a closed course in Mexico, of course.

Attached picture 20210925_092456.jpg
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Hitting the track! What's it gonna run? - 04/04/22 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by feets
[quote=justinp61]. The other run went properly. On a closed course in Mexico, of course.
haha up devil
Posted By: Greenwood

Re: Hitting the track! What's it gonna run? - 04/04/22 03:27 AM

That thing really hauls the mail!
Posted By: moparx

Re: Hitting the track! What's it gonna run? - 04/04/22 03:08 PM

as those calipers are quite visible, what color would be best, or what color do you have in mind ?
beer

Re: Hitting the track! What's it gonna run? - 04/04/22 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by moparx

as those calipers are quite visible, what color would be best, or what color do you have in mind ?
beer

Red is played out. That front double caliper setup can is really visible so it can make or break the car. Pun intended?

I'm leaning towards the bronze color used on ceramic brake cars with black AMG logos.

Something like this:

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Moparts Forums