Moparts

fuel injection progress

Posted By: 8urvette

fuel injection progress - 03/29/22 12:14 AM

I had a 1050 dominator on this car, no issues with it. I just wanted to update the car a little bit.

So I decied to spend a ton of money and lots of timing converting to MPFI.

I only have about 1 weekend of work into it. Started on Saturday and got to this point on Sunday.

It is a Holley HP UNTERMINATED harness. Which is great for making it fit just right, but let me tell you it is a huge amount of work. The harness I wanted and paid for back in June of 2021 is still on back order.... I changed to the unterminated version, which holley had in stock.

Attached picture 20210106_173038.jpg

Re: fuel injection progress - 03/29/22 12:23 AM

here is the harness, laid out on the car after i grouped it by sensor.

Attached picture harness.jpeg

Re: fuel injection progress - 03/29/22 12:24 AM

by the end of the weekend this is where i got it to.

Attached picture 20220327_175722.jpg
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: fuel injection progress - 03/29/22 12:32 AM

looks like you got a lot of extra wires for your wire inventory, huh whistling grin
Posted By: AndyF

Re: fuel injection progress - 03/29/22 12:41 AM

Yeah, the unterminated harness is a lot of work. But you'll never be afraid of the system after you build it from the ground up.
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: fuel injection progress - 03/29/22 01:28 AM

Looking great. What size turbo you going with drinking
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: fuel injection progress - 03/29/22 01:35 AM

Now you know the ins and outs of all of it and how it works, it will make it easier to diagnose should you ever have a problem. That doesn't mean its fun though lol.

I had that same throttle body and my 418" was still pulling several KPAs of vacuum on it at wide open throttle(compared to barometric sensor), so I added another one to fix the problem lol.
Posted By: furious70

Re: fuel injection progress - 03/29/22 01:44 AM

wow!!!
My universal fit harness on my classic FAST setup in my Fury don't look great, but I don't know that I could handle that right there. Kudos to you!
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: fuel injection progress - 03/29/22 02:11 AM

Same thing on my FAST universal harness. Not a good fit on a Big Block Mopar.
It is mostly just the wire lengths and looming. Just more wiring to clean up on the car.
Your Holley universal harness looks nice!
Posted By: INTMD8

Re: fuel injection progress - 03/29/22 02:16 AM

Yes it's a bit of work. I bought a universal harness and ended up tearing the entire thing down to add a bunch of stuff and get the wire lengths where I wanted. So what you're doing is really the way to go IMO, unless you aren't picky about aesthetics.

Re: fuel injection progress - 03/29/22 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by FastmOp
Looking great. What size turbo you going with drinking

RIGHT???? Sadly with 4.5" stroke in the 440 I dont think it would live long under any kind of boost. But I do have some nitrous I may need to use.

Re: fuel injection progress - 03/29/22 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by Bad340fish
Now you know the ins and outs of all of it and how it works, it will make it easier to diagnose should you ever have a problem. That doesn't mean its fun though lol.

I had that same throttle body and my 418" was still pulling several KPAs of vacuum on it at wide open throttle(compared to barometric sensor), so I added another one to fix the problem lol.

I took my time, pinned out the entire harness, labeled everything and then went to work. Happily one 2 wires didnt match what Holley claimed. They were in the right spots, just not the colors they were supposed to be. No biggie, i noted it and moved on.

Yea it isnt what I had originally wanted, same with the intake. But the parts I did want won't be in stock till late may or early June... assuming it doesnt get bumped back again. So I chose what was in stock and could get me moving down this road.
Posted By: rebel

Re: fuel injection progress - 03/29/22 09:34 AM

I went with MPI on my tunnel rzm with the Holley harness. Still spent 2x nights modifying thd supplied harness to match my car. Hopefully by next season I'll have it dyno'd & ready to ho racing.

Attached picture 20211209_213930.jpg
Posted By: feets

Re: fuel injection progress - 03/29/22 06:59 PM

I had to do that on the hot rod back in 2003. I had an ECU, a few plug housings, and a handful of connectors. It took me a full weekend using a gooseneck flatbed trailer as a work bench but I got it figured out. The hard part was sourcing enough different colored wires.

Like the others said, I wasn't afraid of chasing wire gremlins over the years.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: fuel injection progress - 03/30/22 03:42 PM

So glad I went Sniper 4500 this time. I think it took me 3hrs to install and wire it....

Attached picture IMG_20200529_182349_1.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20200529_180427_1.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20200529_184153.jpg

Re: fuel injection progress - 03/31/22 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dragula
So glad I went Sniper 4500 this time. I think it took me 3hrs to install and wire it....

I really thought about the 4500 sniper. But I wanted a little more tune ability for the future. Even recently like 2 weeks ago I was looking at that again. Thankfully holley said it was out of stock!
Posted By: moparx

Re: fuel injection progress - 03/31/22 06:32 PM

wiring is an intimidating black art until one tries it from scratch.
it does indeed take lots of time and concentration to do it, but is very gratifying when completed, with the added benefit of you being able to trouble shoot it when/if needed.
the only thing i might add, is make sure you have a good crimping tool that matches your connectors and terminals. a couple of practice crimps to make sure you make solid connections is recommended if you are not sure of yourself. don,t feel bad, i do practice crimps myself if i haven't used a particular crimp tool for a while, although i have wired many vehicles in the past 50 years or so. grin
marine heat shrink tubing is better than the normally available stuff, in that it has sealing glue that is activated when you shrink the tubing. you might consider this where moisture may be a problem or concern.
beer

Re: fuel injection progress - 03/31/22 08:36 PM

I keep telling myself I enjoy it. I put EFI on my car in 2015, then winter of 2020 I took it all out, added an additional ECU and re did most of it. Once I pulled it all out again I began to question my sanity. I am real good at making it work, I am not the best at making it pretty. But it works, and its serviceable and expandable. Not pictured are 3 relay boards.

It would be way easier to make pretty if it wasn't under the dash and I didn't have a roll cage ha.

Attached picture Capture.JPG

Re: fuel injection progress - 04/10/22 03:47 AM

I went to start it for the first time last weekend.

And my starter failed. Ordered a new one from summit, bought a xspower starter, and it wont clear my headers.

I pulled my stock one apart and fixed a broke solder. and now it works again. SOrta.

Cranked th car a few times and naturally the distributor was 180 off. Not sure how I always seem to do this, but i am very consistant with it. Flipped it around 180* and cranked it over, it coughed and sputtered. cranked it again and it fired up and sorta idled. I have no coolant in it so I turned it off, checked over a bunch of stuff and went to start it again.... started failed. UGH!!!!!!!
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: fuel injection progress - 04/10/22 03:14 PM

Hot rodding at its best!

Keep after it I am sure you will get it going just fine.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: fuel injection progress - 04/12/22 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by 8urvette

And my starter failed. Ordered a new one from summit, bought a xspower starter, and it wont clear my headers.

I pulled my stock one apart and fixed a broke solder. and now it works again. SOrta.

Cranked th car a few times and naturally the distributor was 180 off. Not sure how I always seem to do this, but i am very consistant with it. Flipped it around 180* and cranked it over, it coughed and sputtered. cranked it again and it fired up and sorta idled. I have no coolant in it so I turned it off, checked over a bunch of stuff and went to start it again.... started failed. UGH!!!!!!!

I'm running the same set up still have a issue on start up(has a 3 second crank time) I need to check my wiring
but I heard of this issue before... other than that it starts all the time... this is on my Rampage
wave

Attached picture IMG_20140528_115956853_HDR-w640-h479.jpg

Re: fuel injection progress - 04/13/22 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by MR_P_BODY

I'm running the same set up still have a issue on start up(has a 3 second crank time) I need to check my wiring
but I heard of this issue before... other than that it starts all the time... this is on my Rampage
wave

Does it crank so long because it has to build fuel pressure? When my car sits overnight it cranks a little longer because it has to fill the fuel lines but its still not 3 seconds I don't think. I changed the fuel pump prime so it runs the pump longer before it buzzes the injectors to prime for fuel, and that helped.
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: fuel injection progress - 04/13/22 04:58 PM

You will never get an instant start with a true sequential coils on a 60-2. The ecu wants to see the gap with a low cam, then the gap with a high cam before firing any spark. 3 seconds does sound longer than normal. Doubt that it is wiring. sound more like settings.
Posted By: turbobitt

Re: fuel injection progress - 04/13/22 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by TRENDZ
You will never get an instant start with a true sequential coils on a 60-2. The ecu wants to see the gap with a low cam, then the gap with a high cam before firing any spark. 3 seconds does sound longer than normal. Doubt that it is wiring. sound more like settings.

I would agree. Based on experience the ECU needs to achieve cam to crank sync before firing. Most will still fire the injectors in batch during cranking regardless.

AG.

Re: fuel injection progress - 04/13/22 05:20 PM

Mine is 36-1 but it starts on batch fire and changes to sequential as soon as it reads the cam sensor.

Re: fuel injection progress - 04/13/22 05:34 PM

Mine is 36-1 but it starts on batch fire and changes to sequential as soon as it reads the cam sensor.

referring to coils. coils can’t fire before sync.
Posted By: metallicareload

Re: fuel injection progress - 04/13/22 05:47 PM

Cranked th car a few times and naturally the distributor was 180 off. Not sure how I always seem to do this, but i am very consistant with it. Flipped it around 180* and cranked it over, it coughed and sputtered. cranked it again and it fired up and sorta idled....

I don't know how many times I've done the same, until I realized "dot to dot" is cylinder 6 TDC firing. I've caught myself the last two times I've degreed a cam drive

Couldn't the coils be fired waste spark style while the injectors are batch firing?

-Edited.

Re: fuel injection progress - 04/13/22 06:06 PM

Coils can fire in batch not sequential but I guess they need to see enough crank rotation to find the missing tooth, then can go sequential once a cam signal comes around? I am assuming with 60-2 it has to crank longer? I have never run that.

Nor trying to argue just trying to learn, I don't know what I am doing with this fancy efi stuff half time time but I can make it work! haha.

Re: fuel injection progress - 04/13/22 07:22 PM

absolutely could fire waste spark if the ecu allows it. some will not. I don’t remember if the holley will do it without being told to. i don’t even remember if mike has c.o.p.

Re: fuel injection progress - 04/13/22 07:25 PM

absolutely could fire waste spark if the ecu allows it. some will not. I don’t remember if the holley will do it without being told to. i don’t even remember if mike has c.o.p.

My Megasquirt will allow me to change in and out of sequential while the car is running, and it defaults to batch fire if it loses cam signal. The only use for batch fire I have is if the cam sensor fails.
© 2024 Moparts Forums