Moparts

Super Stock springs sag?

Posted By: Jeff_383

Super Stock springs sag? - 03/14/22 02:21 AM

Can SS springs sag over time? Mine (#454/455) are 20 years old and seem to be sitting lower.
Posted By: GY3

Re: Super Stock springs sag? - 03/14/22 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff_383
Can SS springs sag over time? Mine (#454/455) are 20 years old and seem to be sitting lower.

The newer ones are horrible about losing arch. Made in Mexico garbage! It took mine way less time than that to lose their arch. Mine were 456/457.

Re: Super Stock springs sag? - 03/14/22 02:43 AM

I don't remember where mine were made. It's been since 2002 I think, maybe 01 even.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Super Stock springs sag? - 03/14/22 04:11 AM

Go with Cal Trac system,you wont be sorry,don't cheao out on shocks!

Attached picture 11728927_1612016045722040_1991279657064850817_o.jpg

Re: Super Stock springs sag? - 03/14/22 04:31 AM

That's a good question. Money isn't great and ss springs are a little less than 300 dollars. A whole caltrac set up is like 1000 or so. That is a sig amount. I also kinda dig the higher stance of the ss springs too. I don't want to be cheap, although I do need to be watchful.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Super Stock springs sag? - 03/14/22 07:12 AM

You might want a better set of the SS drag racing springs from Gregg Luneack at Tri City Competition in SO CA up scope
i hope he is still in business luck confused

Re: Super Stock springs sag? - 03/14/22 10:06 AM

I read he is not due to high supply costs.
Posted By: Chargerfan68

Re: Super Stock springs sag? - 03/14/22 12:32 PM

I used new SS springs in 2006 on my 68 b body when I first put on MT drag radials. After a few launches on the street, They permanently bent the front segnent of the leafs. Such severe spring wrap up. I kept throwing pinion snubber bumpers off the car with them. They were complete garbage! I took ‘em out that week and put in Caltracs. 16 years on Caltracs and no sag at all and hook very consistently. They do offer +1” height, which I got on mine.
Posted By: GY3

Re: Super Stock springs sag? - 03/14/22 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Chargerfan68
I used new SS springs in 2006 on my 68 b body when I first put on MT drag radials. After a few launches on the street, They permanently bent the front segnent of the leafs. Such severe spring wrap up. I kept throwing pinion snubber bumpers off the car with them. They were complete garbage! I took ‘em out that week and put in Caltracs. 16 years on Caltracs and no sag at all and hook very consistently. They do offer +1” height, which I got on mine.

That's about the time I bought mine. They were bent so much it was killing the driveshaft straps on the rear yoke.

We did the Cal-Trac setup as well and the car launches level and much more consistent.
Posted By: racerx

Re: Super Stock springs sag? - 03/14/22 01:07 PM

On the subject of SS springs anyone no if the E/B body springs interchange?...Thanks wave
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Super Stock springs sag? - 03/14/22 02:36 PM

I have buddies who have had SS springs on back order forever for B Bodies. I went with -1" split mono leafs and Caltracs on my Challenger to get it a little lower since I have 30" tall tires.
Posted By: 68LAR

Re: Super Stock springs sag? - 03/14/22 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff_383
. Try Point Spring in Pittsburgh, they may be able to “re arch” them for you.
Posted By: Michael Ecks

Re: Super Stock springs sag? - 03/15/22 06:47 PM

If you are just looking for the stance, you can order regular or heavy duty springs from ESPO Springs and Things and specify additional arch made into them.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Super Stock springs sag? - 03/15/22 08:32 PM

My 454/455 springs haven't appreciably sagged in the last 20 or so years....That I have noticed!
but, full disclosure, I bought them used/second hand
and the seller claimed a reputable local spring shop, John R. Spring had reworked them.
I think the springs already did whatever they were going to do and were probably fixed.

They had added a leaf, but beyond that.....I don't know what other work they did.
The ride height was ridiculous with the added leaf.
I took the added leaf out, shortened up the center bolt to match, and have used them that way for many years.

My experience is not typical if I can believe what folks have told me over the years... and I usually don't mention it.....
....but if budget is an issue it might be worthwhile to have a spring shop bring them back up to snuff.

Posted By: John Burdine

Re: Super Stock springs sag? - 03/15/22 08:36 PM

Caltrac monoleafs will de-arch as well. Especially the rh leaf.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Super Stock springs sag? - 03/15/22 09:48 PM

It may depend on which year B body spring you're wanting to use, pre 1964 B bodies used a shorter front half spring than the 1964 and later.
I think all the E body springs have a 22.0 inch long front half and they were mounted sideways in relation to the rear subframes, the front mounts are wider apart than the rear mounts are shruggy
I'm not sure if they will swap okay or not, sorry blush
Posted By: racerx

Re: Super Stock springs sag? - 03/16/22 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
It may depend on which year B body spring you're wanting to use, pre 1964 B bodies used a shorter front half spring than the 1964 and later.
I think all the E body springs have a 22.0 inch long front half and they were mounted sideways in relation to the rear subframes, the front mounts are wider apart than the rear mounts are shruggy
I'm not sure if they will swap okay or not, sorry blush

Thanks Cab wave
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Super Stock springs sag? - 03/16/22 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by 493_john

iagree I had Cal-Tracs on my Savoy for a few seasons then they completely lost their arch and were flat after about 90 passes and some street miles. Took them off and went back to 454-55 springs about 6 years ago and they still have the good arch shruggy

Gus beer
Posted By: feets

Re: Super Stock springs sag? - 03/17/22 07:25 PM

I made the SS springs for my 65 Belvedere.

I took 1969 B body springs and swapped the pack onto the shorter 65 main leaf. There were two half leafs on the right and one on the left.
It planted the tires evenly and didn't sag over the 15 years I had the car.
Posted By: Chargerfan68

Re: Super Stock springs sag? - 03/17/22 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by fourgearsavoy

iagree I had Cal-Tracs on my Savoy for a few seasons then they completely lost their arch and were flat after about 90 passes and some street miles. Took them off and went back to 454-55 springs about 6 years ago and they still have the good arch shruggy

Gus beer

Very surprised to hear that. Then it must be a crap shoot. Mine are 16 yrs old. About 120 drag passes and thousands of street miles and no sag at all. SS springs bent permanently for my car. I guess you just don’t know.
Posted By: rebel

Re: Super Stock springs sag? - 03/18/22 09:46 AM

when I first got these SS springs, 325x50x15's were the biggest Drag Radial i could fit. 25 years later, I still can.

Attached picture 1545732_631676500211888_790595157_n.jpg
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Super Stock springs sag? - 03/18/22 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Chargerfan68
Originally Posted by fourgearsavoy

Gus beer

Very surprised to hear that. Then it must be a crap shoot. Mine are 16 yrs old. About 120 drag passes and thousands of street miles and no sag at all. SS springs bent permanently for my car. I guess you just don’t know.

Well I had heard there were a few batches of low quality springs right around the time I bought mine. It's a real shame because the car really hooked good with them. I had later found out that Calvert was replacing them free of charge even after 2 years of beating them up with a heavy stick car.

Gus beer

Attached picture savoy at 42.JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums