Moparts

LIST of active Drag Strips

Posted By: SCATPACK 1

LIST of active Drag Strips - 03/12/22 11:31 PM

I finally got to retire last fall. SO NOW, I want to see as many drag strips across the US as possible. I am in East TN and know about most of the tracks in my area. BUT what tracks are open in other states and in middle and west TN areas?
Has anyone on Moparts, ever put together a list of drag strips?
IF so, where can I find this list?
And if not, could everyone please provide track info for the tracks in their area?
Around My area of East TN, Maryville, TN, (Near Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge), we have Rogersville, Bristol, Knoxville Dragway, Crossville, Buffalo Valley (More into Middle TN area), Brainerd in the Chattanooga Area and Huntsville in Huntsville, AL (I think it is still open, have not been tere in a while).
What else is available for me to visit this year.
Thanks
Jerry
Posted By: Rodenteliminator

Re: LIST of active Drag Strips - 03/12/22 11:39 PM

Montgomery Al which is now called Capitol City Dragway (I think) Sillver Dollar Reynolds Georgia, Atmore Al. A nice track south and east of Dothan Al. called Cottonwood Dragway , I have been to all of them they all run a good programs, and good atmosphere’s anytime I have been to them. Doug
Posted By: GarageDodge

Re: LIST of active Drag Strips - 03/12/22 11:49 PM

leabon valley,east of albany ny they also have a mopar show in the fall.Esta in cicero ny

Re: LIST of active Drag Strips - 03/13/22 12:28 AM

Thanks Doug
I actually drove by Atmore yesterday on our way back to TN for one of my wife's doctor appointments on Monday. I so wanted to stop by and check it out since it was Friday night, But then it started to pour down rain at that very minute. whiney

Re: LIST of active Drag Strips - 03/13/22 12:32 AM

Thanks Garage Door.
I actually have not been up north racing since we participated in an IHRA National race at Dragway 42 back in the 70's.
Regularly attended Mopar Nationals and the Mopar Classic races as well as Carlisle. But I never took a car to those events to race.
I want to be more active as a competitor now.
You just never know when you may not be able to do any of these fun things we enjoy.
Jerry
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: LIST of active Drag Strips - 03/13/22 03:30 AM

London, Ky. A VERY nice track, and even better people that run it. 2 hours from you, straight up I-75. They also host an Indy Cylinder Head sponsored Mopar race in Oct.

Brian

Attached picture 100B7342.JPG

Re: LIST of active Drag Strips - 03/13/22 03:40 AM

Also, Clay City, Ky (now called Kentucky Dragway, I think) This track is about another hour north of London, and will hold TWO Mopar races (and car show & swap meet) this year. One in May and one in Sept.

Brian

Attached picture 101B0041.JPG
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: LIST of active Drag Strips - 03/13/22 04:14 AM

Another vote for Clay City, and don't forget Beech Bend a little further west.

Re: LIST of active Drag Strips - 03/13/22 04:17 AM

Thanks Brian.
I had forgotten about London and Clay City being that close. Any others you can think of?

Re: LIST of active Drag Strips - 03/13/22 04:58 AM

Music City Raceway, in Nashville. But like Crossville & Buffalo Valley, it's in a different time zone. Also, In Va., you got Elk Creek (200 mi) and Motor Mile (about 50 more mi). And in NC, North Wilksboro. English Mountain Dragway in Newport, Tn is back open, but they only run no prep and gruge/tuner style races.

I forgot about Lawrnceburg, Tn, in south Middle Tn. And Jackson, Tn & Gleason, Tn, west of Nashville. Clarksville, Tn may still be running.

Brian
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: LIST of active Drag Strips - 03/13/22 03:17 PM

Island Dragway Great Meadows N.J. my home track for the last 35 plus years... been in business under the same family now in the third generation for 62 years....their Mopars at the Patch race is Sunday June 12th
Posted By: Brad_Haak

Re: LIST of active Drag Strips - 03/13/22 03:42 PM

Other Virginia & Maryland tracks running in 2022 include...
- Virginia Motorsports Park - Petersburg, VA, SW of Richmond
- Sumerduck Dragway 1/8th - Sumerduck, VA, off Rt 17 between Warrenton and Fredericksburg
- I *think* Colonial Beach, VA 1/8th is running; haven't been there in years, though
- Maryland International Raceway 1/8 & 1/4 - Budds Creek, MD, southern Maryland east of 301 after it crosses from VA into MD
- Mason-Dixon Dragway - east of Hagerstown, MD
- Capitol Raceway - Crofton, MD
- Cecil County Dragway - Rising Sun, MD, NE of Baltimore up I-95 near Delaware line

wave
Posted By: Brad_Haak

Re: LIST of active Drag Strips - 03/13/22 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by 11secdart
Island Dragway Great Meadows N.J. my home track for the last 35 plus years... been in business under the same family now in the third generation for 62 years....their Mopars at the Patch race is Sunday June 12th

Surprised you didn't mention Atco, considering it's another NJ track. I'd like to get there myself at some point... work
Posted By: 440lebaron

Re: LIST of active Drag Strips - 03/13/22 04:52 PM

nhraracer.com has a track listing, also try ihra
Posted By: theraif

Re: LIST of active Drag Strips - 03/13/22 05:41 PM

this site list all types of tracks http://www.racingin.com/track/

Re: LIST of active Drag Strips - 03/13/22 09:03 PM

Thanks for that Link Raif.
I will check it out.
I found another one as well.
But, some of those track on the site I found are now closed.
I was hoping to get a current list of active tracks running on a regular basis. Some I could visit at any time.
So looking forward to visinting some new tracks and seeing a new set of cars and meeting new Mopar people.

Re: LIST of active Drag Strips - 03/13/22 09:05 PM

What track do you regularly run on Lebaron?
Posted By: justinp61

Re: LIST of active Drag Strips - 03/13/22 10:38 PM

I’m not sure Gleason is open. It was closed for several years, but there were rumors of it reopening. It was a $hit hole the last time I was there.
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: LIST of active Drag Strips - 03/14/22 01:41 AM

Good point Brad... Island is my home track and about a half hour from my house but I run 11.50 Index at Atco a few times a year.. its about a two hour tow for me , I like the track... as well as Cecil County , Maple Grove and South Mountain ( near Carlisle ) .. Mountain Mike from SM is great ! and Yes being from N.J. we still greatly miss Raceway Park / Englishtown I used to run their 11.50 Index Points Series and I attended almost all of the 31 Mopar Atlantic Nationals they had except for a few due to rain

Re: LIST of active Drag Strips - 03/14/22 01:52 AM

i run at atco nj, lebanon valley ny,, epping nh, maple grove pa numidia pa. oxford plains me, island nj, 3/4 more tracks in ny pa, md, de, like i mentioned nhra and ihra has listings of current tracks nationwide

Re: LIST of active Drag Strips - 03/14/22 03:27 AM

I envy you guys that have those great tracks to run on a regular basis.
Thanks for sharing your list of tracks. I look forward to catching up with you guys this summer.

Re: LIST of active Drag Strips - 03/14/22 02:56 PM

let me know when your in the northeast, hope to have my stocker done this spring, pistons 8/10 weeks
Posted By: Hemi_Jack

Re: LIST of active Drag Strips - 03/14/22 07:05 PM

Here is the NHRA list of current drag strips.

https://www.nhra.com/member-track-locator
Posted By: sixpakdodge

Re: LIST of active Drag Strips - 03/14/22 07:31 PM

This is probably one of the better lists you can find.

http://www.staginglight.com/links/trackfinder.html

Some of these tracks may be closed now, and there are some newer tracks that aren't listed.
Posted By: Dart451

Re: LIST of active Drag Strips - 03/15/22 10:47 AM

Might as well check out a few closed one if you are in the area
Closed Drag Strips

Re: LIST of active Drag Strips - 03/15/22 10:05 PM

Thanks to all who contributed.
I have saved the info to my desk top for future reference while I am traveling.
Appreciate everyone.
Posted By: JDMopar

Re: LIST of active Drag Strips - 03/16/22 10:16 PM

What about 411 Dragway over in Seymour, TN? I went there years ago and it was a pretty decent little track. The thing I remember most about it was how steep the hill from the staging lanes up to the starting line was. LOCK THE HUBS!!! laugh2
https://www.tnvacation.com/local/seymour-411-dragway?msclkid=16e6ecbba57611ecb46379679a649e65

Re: LIST of active Drag Strips - 03/16/22 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by JDMopar
What about 411 Dragway over in Seymour, TN? I went there years ago and it was a pretty decent little track. The thing I remember most about it was how steep the hill from the staging lanes up to the starting line was. LOCK THE HUBS!!! laugh2
https://www.tnvacation.com/local/seymour-411-dragway?msclkid=16e6ecbba57611ecb46379679a649e65

This track was closed a few years ago. The people that bought it are round track racing people, and saw no use for the drag strip except for a parking area for the round track.

Brian
Posted By: cspracer

Re: LIST of active Drag Strips - 03/24/22 02:03 PM

I moved to Georgia 8 years ago from NC. The number and quality of tracks here is nothing like NC.
One unique track not mentioned but also not terribly far away from you is Paradise Drag Strip in Calhoun Ga. Kind of a back yard track and certainly a unique experience to race there. Good folks. The track gets some airplay on Motor Trend TV from time to time.

South Georgia Motorsports Park is a nice track but too far away for me, and you have to drive through Atlanta!

I have not found a track in Georgia, Tennessee or Alabama that holds a Mopar event.

I did not see many NC tracks listed so let me offer my insight on a few.
Farmington - Great track, has a great long standing Mopar event around Mother's day weekend each year, (5-7-2022). Used to have a lot of Mopars running this track. Long shutdown area.
Piedmont - Another great track with an annual Mopar event, usually in the fall. I do not see the event listed this year, but that does not mean they will not add it later.
Rockingham - A bit further away for you but they have a great Mopar event around Easter each year, (4-16-2022)
Mooresville - Small track with big time competition. Home of several big name drivers from NHRA.
Last track I would like to run but never have is Galot Motorsports Park. I hear it is a great track but never raced there.

Of course all of these tracks are 1/8th mile other than Rockingham, which runs both 1/8th and 1/4.

I attached a ZIP file that has an excel file inside with the schedules for many of the SE tracks. If you have excel you can open this and see if it helps any.

Attached File
2022 SE Races.zip  (3 downloads)
Posted By: 65pacecar

Re: LIST of active Drag Strips - 04/03/22 03:25 PM

Edgewater in Cleves, Ohio near Cincinnati is a great track.
© 2024 Moparts Forums