Moparts

Rear shock angle on new 4 link setup

Posted By: Chargerfan68

Rear shock angle on new 4 link setup - 03/11/22 06:36 AM

I’ve always thought it is better to have the rear shocks installed vertical rather than slightly angled on drag cars (w/ 4 link). Is this true? Any benefit to installing them at 6 deg tilt?

Thanks
Posted By: fbs63

Re: Rear shock angle on new 4 link setup - 03/11/22 12:17 PM

None on a drag car. Any angle affects damping and spring rates required.
Posted By: Chargerfan68

Re: Rear shock angle on new 4 link setup - 03/11/22 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by fbs63

That’s what i always thought…..but wondering why Alston offers 6 degree offset lower shock mounts. I’ll go with 0 degree.

Thank you
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: Rear shock angle on new 4 link setup - 03/11/22 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Chargerfan68
Originally Posted by fbs63

That’s what i always thought…..but wondering why Alston offers 6 degree offset lower shock mounts. I’ll go with 0 degree.

Thank you

6* Is what is recommended so the spring doesnt contact the brackets....SW explains that in their rear housing shock bracket instructions.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Rear shock angle on new 4 link setup - 03/11/22 04:30 PM

I had mine on the front of axel at about 30 degree, very soft in the rear and would hook on snot (121 60) This was a Alston recommendation back in the day. In fact I talked with B Glidden once and he showed me on his car how soft he wanted it to be by pushing down on back of car. I was all eyes and ears, the god had spoken.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Rear shock angle on new 4 link setup - 03/11/22 05:36 PM

Slightly forward at the top is common to get the attachment closer to being over the housing. Straight up and down is also fine. Never back. I'll even see them tilted in towards the center of the car occasionally for clearance/packaging, but that is typically straight up .
Posted By: moparx

Re: Rear shock angle on new 4 link setup - 03/11/22 06:49 PM

i have always used the speedway motors chart to determine coil rate to mounting angle for shock mounting points.

90 degrees is always perfect, but if you need to angle the shock, this chart may be helpful.
although it shows the shock angled toward the middle of the car, i think it would apply to a forward or rearward angle as well.
hope this helps in some way.
beer

Attached picture scan0227.jpg
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Rear shock angle on new 4 link setup - 03/11/22 07:24 PM

The math is wrong, it's not simple division but trigonometry.
45 degrees is not 50% but 70.7% (cosine of the angle)
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Rear shock angle on new 4 link setup - 03/11/22 08:24 PM

My rear shocks are now vertical even with leafs.

Attached picture 100_1716.JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums