Moparts

Engine builder in the Northwest

Posted By: polara71

Engine builder in the Northwest - 03/06/22 01:18 AM

Greetings,
I am in search of a reputable engine builder in the Northwest as in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Utah, Western Montana or Wyoming. Many of these guys don't seem trustworthy to me. I've had a few engines built in my life back east, those were the best of the best . The important thing to me is longevity and dependability .
Engine to be built is a 1970 383-4.

Thanks in advance...
Posted By: topside

Re: Engine builder in the Northwest - 03/06/22 01:34 AM

Greg Mangum at M&S Engines in Sandpoint ID.. He's built a 440 for me, a 360 for a buddy, and more that i know about.
I'd have him build me another if/when the time comes.
He's not cheap and it may take some time, as he's got a backlog, but he knows what he's doing.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Engine builder in the Northwest - 03/06/22 03:54 AM

You have a PM on this from me. scope
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Engine builder in the Northwest - 03/06/22 04:33 AM

Portland Engine for a stock type rebuild, Grays Automotive for a race engine.
Posted By: madscientist

Re: Engine builder in the Northwest - 03/06/22 02:26 PM

Tom’s Performance Machine in Vancouver. IMO, there is no other to even bother with.

Re: Engine builder in the Northwest - 03/06/22 04:00 PM

Thank you for the quick responses. Grays came highly recommended already, though 12 hours away I'm sure it's worth it. I will reach out to these names on Monday and see what they can do for me.
I am not looking for a race engine. I am looking to add numbers to the 70 383-4 in my Polara convertible. I do not think I am unreasonable to expect to add 100 horse and 100 ft pds of Tq to this engine in a full rebuild while keeping it stock appearing.
Reliability and longevity Trumps everything else.
I likely should have asked for a transmission guy as well. I'm expecting to add a gear vendors unit since these Idaho roads are endless .

Re: Engine builder in the Northwest - 03/06/22 04:13 PM

Ultimate Transmission in Garden City, Idaho or A-1 Performance in Vancouver, WA
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Engine builder in the Northwest - 03/06/22 04:29 PM

Mike Lane, used to managed Mike Chapman's shop. He is in Orem Utah.

http://fastlanemachineinc.com/

Re: Engine builder in the Northwest - 03/06/22 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by 340Cuda
Mike Lane, used to managed Mike Chapman's shop. He is in Orem Utah.

http://fastlanemachineinc.com/

Lane does excellent head work including welding and repairs. We send blown up stuff over there all the time and it comes back looking perfect.

Re: Engine builder in the Northwest - 03/06/22 10:57 PM

All advice / recommendations appreciated, keep'em coming, please.
Posted By: Wax

Re: Engine builder in the Northwest - 03/06/22 11:15 PM

polara71: Not sure where you are located but I would give Gary Enlow a call in Casper, Wyoming. He has a Facebook page that is Pentastar Performance. His number is: 307-262-7384. Very good at what he does. He does do transmissions as well. Very reasonable. He will be at MATS in a couple of weeks l’m sure. Give him a shout.

Re: Engine builder in the Northwest - 03/07/22 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Wax
polara71: Not sure where you are located but I would give Gary Enlow a call in Casper, Wyoming. He has a Facebook page that is Pentastar Performance. His number is: 307-262-7384. Very good at what he does. He does do transmissions as well. Very reasonable. He will be at MATS in a couple of weeks l’m sure. Give him a shout.

Thank you, I will check him out as well.
I am in Eastern Idaho, bout 70 miles South of West Yellowstone. Puts him about six hours away.
© 2024 Moparts Forums