Moparts

B1 header flanges ???

Posted By: n20mstr

B1 header flanges ??? - 03/03/22 07:36 PM

Ok...who makes a good one?? and i mean like Smith Innovations. He just called me and he is not making them anymore. Im looking for something sturdy 3/8 something thats 2 1/4 and something thats not hard to get a tube into. I dread putting a round peg in that square hole ... shruggy Oh yea an stainless steel too.

Thanks
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: B1 header flanges ??? - 03/03/22 08:00 PM

SPD Exhaust..
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: B1 header flanges ??? - 03/03/22 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Al_Alguire
SPD Exhaust..

yep

http://www.spdexhaust.com/Header-FlangesB.html
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: B1 header flanges ??? - 03/03/22 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by n20mstr
Ok...who makes a good one?? and i mean like Smith Innovations. He just called me and he is not making them anymore. Im looking for something sturdy 3/8 something thats 2 1/4 and something thats not hard to get a tube into. I dread putting a round peg in that square hole ... shruggy Oh yea an stainless steel too.

Thanks

Stainless Headers has some good you tube video's showing how to put a round peg into a square hole.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: B1 header flanges ??? - 03/03/22 08:20 PM

they used to be real pretty but I cut them apart to make things easier

[Linked Image]Untitled by John Cadamore, on Flickr
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: B1 header flanges ??? - 03/04/22 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by n20mstr
... 2 1/4 and something thats not hard to get a tube into. I dread putting a round peg in that square hole ... shruggy Oh yea an stainless steel too.

Thanks

You will have to do some amount of "squaring" or flatening the round tube to put it in the header flange. You run out of room on the head, so the flange needs to be less than 2.375" tall and a round 2.25" tube opening won't leave much for sealing above/below the port.
Attached picture from SPD

Attached picture SPD_flanges_M8112.JPG

Re: B1 header flanges ??? - 03/05/22 03:05 AM

FWIW,
My heads were ported by the previous owner/shop. It may have different dimension than yours.
I had a local laser cutting shop make a couple pairs of flanges (mild steel). And I made a simple jig to "form" the tube to the flange shape. It still takes some hammer tapping and peening before welding.

But I am happy with the result. My headers are finally finished welded....

Attached picture Header_tube_formed-3view.jpg
Attached picture Header_flange_B1.jpg

Re: B1 header flanges ??? - 03/05/22 03:13 AM

Your could "borrow" the forming tool (used in a flat faced vice).
But it is made for the flanges I have.

Attached picture Header_forming_tool-insert.jpg
Posted By: Forest

Re: B1 header flanges ??? - 03/05/22 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by 440Jim
Your could "borrow" the forming tool (used in a flat faced vice).
But it is made for the flanges I have.

I love the tool! I need to make one up

Re: B1 header flanges ??? - 03/05/22 04:41 PM

I suggest making the height of the forming tool roughly 0.035" less than the height of the flange opening. The vice pushes the tube flat, but it can spring back somewhat.
The center body (green) helps to prevent the flat part of the tube from "buckling" or bending toward the center as the tube is formed.
© 2024 Moparts Forums