Moparts

Electric fan setups.....Pics? Pros/Cons?

Posted By: wkroncke17

Electric fan setups.....Pics? Pros/Cons? - 02/21/22 09:36 PM

All,
After what I did to my finger on my flex fan the other day, I may get a shroud, or possibly better yet go Electric (boogie woogie woogie) < Old song reference
What size/CFM works for you guys?
Car is a Demon. 420" 360 based small block' 850 HP Holley.
Eddy heads Hughes Stage 2 porting.
904 RMVB, PTC 4000 stall convertor, 4:30 gear.
I'm using a good Cold Case aluminum radiator with a transmission cooler in front of it.

Thank again in advance!!

Wally

Attached picture Demon engine.jpg
Posted By: DusterKid

Re: Electric fan setups.....Pics? Pros/Cons? - 02/21/22 10:35 PM

On 2 of my cars I use a 16" fan on the engine side of the radiator as a puller. The last one I got off eBay and I don't remember but I think it was like 2500-300cfm. They work well for our drag only cars. On my other car I had 2 10" fans mounted in front of the Radiator due to spacing issues. The car never would cool down right so I ended up moving stuff around and installed them on the backside of the radiator and made them pullers. Car cools down much better now. I have champion 3 core radiators in all the cars
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Electric fan setups.....Pics? Pros/Cons? - 02/21/22 11:15 PM

Consolidating reply’s and info……. 😉

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthread...950/cooling-fans-shroud.html#Post3015950
Posted By: EvilB1Dart

Re: Electric fan setups.....Pics? Pros/Cons? - 02/22/22 01:03 AM

OP,

At minimum, especially if it’s a street/strip car, run a shroud with fan, or even a small shroud with electric SPAL fan. You could even try pusher or puller arrangement with an electric SPAL fan if you have the room. Here’s my setup.

Attached picture 15C890A1-394B-4C56-8B9F-7E8C4E872486.jpeg
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Electric fan setups.....Pics? Pros/Cons? - 02/22/22 03:13 AM

Without a shroud, the fan blades are simply pumping hot air in the engine bay around.
Above 35, the forward motion moves more air than a fan... if the grill opening leads directly to the core.
Posted By: INTMD8

Re: Electric fan setups.....Pics? Pros/Cons? - 02/22/22 03:46 AM

I bought an ebay aluminum radiator because anything "good" (as far as radiators) was over 2 months out projected delivery.

With that I used SPAL 30102130 fans.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tig

Re: Electric fan setups.....Pics? Pros/Cons? - 02/22/22 11:20 AM

Not the best pic but the only one I've got. We use a pair of Spal pushers with individual temp controllers as we didn't have much room for pullers. Works well, we've had this set up on 2 combo's 572 and 655 with no issues. At idle, if you overide the controllers, you can watch the temp fall on the gauge.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: dvw

Re: Electric fan setups.....Pics? Pros/Cons? - 02/22/22 12:31 PM

The dual fans out of a late Challenger/Charger adapt pretty easily.
Doug
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Electric fan setups.....Pics? Pros/Cons? - 02/22/22 05:11 PM

Hard to go wrong with s Spal fan and shroud. OE part on a lot of exotic cars. Defintely get one that is a shroud. They offer many different ones. Try to cover as much as the core as possible. I run them on my street car and they work like a champ here in the desert.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Electric fan setups.....Pics? Pros/Cons? - 02/22/22 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by dvw
The dual fans out of a late Challenger/Charger adapt pretty easily.
Doug

i prefer to integrate factory fans and their shrouds whenever possible. i believe they pull WAY more air than the aftermarket ones, and are much more reliable as well.
however, they do [as a rule] pull a bunch of amps at start up, so relays, large wire, and updated alternator/regulator are usually required when using them.
still, i feel the added effort of the install and minuscule weight gain offset the gains in cooling performance.
beer
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Electric fan setups.....Pics? Pros/Cons? - 02/22/22 07:13 PM

Find and seal any grill, light, signal etc. openings in the nose that admit air to the engine bay.
All incoming air must go through the core.

Delay box is hot with the starter, no power to the fans for (how many) seconds to avoid high amp draw on starting.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Electric fan setups.....Pics? Pros/Cons? - 02/27/22 02:26 PM

You need a shroud number one, to not get parts amputated by those sharp blades when they DO come apart and to control the air entering the radiator...
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: Electric fan setups.....Pics? Pros/Cons? - 03/09/22 01:07 AM

I'm running the Ford Contour dual fans with an Autocoolguy PWM controller. 3-row 26" aluminum radiator. It fits the radiator like it was made for it. Brackets were simple. A little trimming of the plastic in the WP pulley area is needed - there is not a lot of room there! My big-cam 451 can idle all day at 182 degrees up

Attached picture DSCF0175.JPG
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Electric fan setups.....Pics? Pros/Cons? - 03/09/22 10:02 AM

The ford Contour fans are decent and should work if you don't have A/C. They are also inexpensive compared to a Spall.
I bought a new Contour fan assembly for around $100
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fss-75282/make/ford/model/contour

and the special plug ends that goto the fans:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...JdANaWJiuIrB1IW9S9j6TiPE-PRoC7AAQAvD_BwE

I used the older version of the Dakota Digital Fan controller. The new one has blue tooth.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dak-pac2800bt

I wired up the high/low speed resistor that is in the fan shroud, but I normally just ran them at high speed.
I would just wire each fan to a relay, and not use the low speed resistor which will save you from buying an extra connector for the resistor.

After I added A/C I needed more cooling, so used two 13" Be Cool fans (the Be Cool fans are Spall fans, and were on sale when I bought them.) on a Griffin 26" radiator.
The high flow units are thicker, so if you go that direction make sure you have the radiator to engine clearance. The 13" 1,777 cfm versions are 3.45" and cost $165 each.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Electric fan setups.....Pics? Pros/Cons? - 03/09/22 03:45 PM

I have a custom made radiator with dual Derrale fans.

Attached picture IMG_8666.jpg
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Electric fan setups.....Pics? Pros/Cons? - 03/09/22 04:01 PM

Standard Universal BeCool and their fans & shroud...

Cons...Stops working when you overload the wiring! Use good relay's and good wiring if you go this route. The newer fans pull a ton of juice and will find the week spot in your electrical spaghetti mess if you cheeped out anywhere.

https://proshop.summitracing.com/parts/bci-62087

Attached picture DSC02345_zpsuhpkpifs (2).jpg
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Electric fan setups.....Pics? Pros/Cons? - 03/09/22 05:09 PM

You would be surprised at how small of a radiator you can get away with IF you get enough air through it.

Pusher fans suck, figuratively speaking. They are in their own way of moving the air.

This is a deal we did. It's a tight fit in a little truck. Big aluminum radiator. Had a single big pusher on it and the thing would not cool at all. I got a shroud blank and two SPAL fans as big as I could fit. Had to position the fans around the water pump and install them on the shroud. Now it cools.

SPAL fans are good. Cheap fans are cheap.

Attached picture IMG_5668[1].JPG
Posted By: Brewzer67

Re: Electric fan setups.....Pics? Pros/Cons? - 03/09/22 09:05 PM

Here is a shot of my setup. 2-12" SPAL mounted on a shroud I made myself on a 26" Smith Bros radiator with dual 1-1/2" tubes. I have a 180 stat in it and can hold 180 in any condition up to 95 degrees out (that's the hottest it has been since installed). I use the Derale fan controller so it only runs as fast as needed and ramps up slow so it doesn't draw excessive juice on startup. Engine is a 526" w/ a fairly aggressive solid roller for street/strip.

Attached picture Fan_Setup2.jpg
Posted By: cdwmotorsports

Re: Electric fan setups.....Pics? Pros/Cons? - 03/13/22 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by DrCharles
I'm running the Ford Contour dual fans with an Autocoolguy PWM controller. 3-row 26" aluminum radiator. It fits the radiator like it was made for it. Brackets were simple. A little trimming of the plastic in the WP pulley area is needed - there is not a lot of room there! My big-cam 451 can idle all day at 182 degrees up

I too use that fan setup. I had to trim the center for my Meizere pump too in case some may think its only a stock pulley issue. I have a different brand controller though and I'm likely moving the fan control duties to the Holley Stealth Sniper system since it has the capability and will rid me of some extra wiring. Mine is also a 451" powered Demon
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Electric fan setups.....Pics? Pros/Cons? - 03/13/22 07:34 PM

I have a $200 Afco radiator and $130 spal pusher. Keeps the temp 180* and never higher than 190* waiting in line for a car show or cruise in.

Attached picture 36789522_1360585854085970_3047355755519803392_n.jpg
Attached picture 221503685_10159478001528270_8716920678127047305_n.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums