Moparts

Header thread

Posted By: HardcoreB

Header thread - 02/10/22 08:05 PM

Let's see your headers! How'd they snake thru all the obstacles? What can be done within stock frame rails? These are 2 1/8 to 3.5 on current combo about 33" long. I'm using a tube/rack front end from an undisclosed manufacturer.

Attached picture mopartsengpic2.JPG

Re: Header thread - 02/10/22 08:10 PM

These are on Dartin's hoopty. 2" x 3.5" built for a target 700HP still using them at about 850HP.

Attached picture 2016upgrade.jpg
Attached picture ip32 030.jpg
Attached picture ip32 045.jpg

Re: Header thread - 02/10/22 08:19 PM

I remade tube #4 without the clearance ripples. But i pretty much used every ounce of space i could near the port exits. I mainly posted this for Tony, I'd like to see what he's working with on his Scamp. From what i remember they were quite long. But that was what I saw when the car had -1 heads. It's difficult to get A SERIES of big tubes with good trajectory under the floor. Here's another pic I stored I think Al made for his B1 valiant.

Re: Header thread - 02/10/22 08:38 PM

Other ideas I saved before I built any sets. The red/pink one is Steff's B1 Challenger. Mango green was DemonGups (which seemed to run ok)...

Attached picture Al's Valiant5.jpg
Attached picture DSC04138.JPG
Posted By: Tig

Re: Header thread - 02/10/22 09:52 PM

Not the best pic but this was the hard side, 2 1/4 into a 4" merge. E Body. Around 900hp on a good day, though we have made a few changes since this was taken (TR) but the same headers.
Edit: Found a couple more.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Header thread - 02/10/22 10:56 PM

Here are a couple of a 64 you may have seen. We will likely be replacing these as well when engine gets freshenedand a number f changes made there too, but they fit very well. Carb on it was axed to.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Also some more Valiant stuff all under chassis stuff as I had intended to reinstall the inner fenders but never did.Someone on here ended up with those tubes..Dont recall whom. All I have for stocktype stuff that did not get axed with photobucket. Unless you wanna see the ones on the Camaro smoke

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Header thread - 02/11/22 12:09 AM

Here are the headers I made for my Road Runner. 2.125-2.250, into a 4” collector. Did not want to cut anything on the car to make them fit.

Attached picture EB69860E-3CB8-43D5-91F0-8DB36B31AA12.jpeg
Attached picture 98152EE1-D685-4C5B-9D18-A46C0DEA35FD.jpeg
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Header thread - 02/11/22 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by JERICOGTX
Here are the headers I made for my Road Runner. 2.125-2.250, into a 4” collector. Did not want to cut anything on the car to make them fit.

Amazingly nice!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Header thread - 02/11/22 01:38 AM

Where could one get a pair of flanges for Stage V hemi heads? I would like to make my own as well.

Thanks
Posted By: fbs63

Re: Header thread - 02/11/22 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Superfreak
Where could one get a pair of flanges for Stage V hemi heads? I would like to make my own as well.

Thanks

SPD Exhaust has nice cnc machined flanges. Stainless Headers in Minnesota makes nice water jet (or laser cut) flanges.
Posted By: Dartin

Re: Header thread - 02/13/22 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by HardcoreB
These are on Dartin's hoopty. 2" x 3.5" built for a target 700HP still using them at about 850HP.

Yes, we’ve been using the ones you built for a lot of years. Can remove or install either side easily in a quick amount of time. No complaints here for sure.

Attached picture 5DEEC8C4-C574-4536-9E3B-2D71A99A08B6.jpeg
Attached picture E12E94AE-1F83-49B6-8E7B-5AD948B4110B.jpeg
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: Header thread - 02/16/22 06:15 PM

Dumb question...other than durability and $$$ is there any difference between stainless and mild steel ???

Oh and i have some A body big block headers for sale in the race parts section whistling

Re: Header thread - 02/16/22 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by n20mstr
Dumb question...other than durability and $$$ is there any difference between stainless and mild steel ???

Oh and i have some A body big block headers for sale in the race parts section whistling

My stainless ones are heavy...

Re: Header thread - 02/16/22 06:46 PM

Been our experience too

Re: Header thread - 02/16/22 07:04 PM

When you throw in the durability part, I'm not sure if i was building my own I'd use M/S anymore, especially if you're spraying. Specifically for your application, the general pathway of "UP and OVER" then out the fender might be the best. You could error on the small side of pipemax if the lengths are shorter and the trajectory is nice. Thanks for all the additional pics that have been added! I have a decent inventory of bends yet but, apparently the materials cost has gone up a bunch. That may be your deciding factor. So, you're saying your old headers that served you well are for sale in the for sale section!?

Re: Header thread - 02/16/22 07:17 PM

When you throw in the durability part, I'm not sure if i was building my own I'd use M/S anymore, especially if you're spraying. Specifically for your application, the general pathway of "UP and OVER" then out the fender might be the best. You could error on the small side of pipemax if the lengths are shorter and the trajectory is nice. Thanks for all the additional pics that have been added! I have a decent inventory of bends yet but, apparently the materials cost has gone up a bunch. That may be your deciding factor. So, you're saying your old headers that served you well are for sale in the for sale section!?

The old headers ive been using ......yes they are for sale up. I brought them to a very reputable engine shop for a dyno session and....they kind of told me [censored] are these shruggy??? And they are not the correct size and length. To get what i really need, they are going to have to be fender exits. Short and BIGGER. weld Yea im a special case because im using a power adder and NA is of really no concern
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Header thread - 02/16/22 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Al_Alguire

Been our experience too

I'll likely never attempt this, but curious: what gauge tubing are you guys using?

Re: Header thread - 02/16/22 07:39 PM

Now that I'm remembering, after looking at the pics, you might do well going up and out. Moving the master cyl might be in order and the smartest. Dartin's are on an RB with -1's so you can get a visual of what a gang of tubes may look like. The worst flowing will be #2 by far. Orient them firing into the collector in a circle too. Should be easier to fab putting the collector above the mid-level body line...

Re: Header thread - 02/16/22 08:15 PM

Now that I'm remembering, after looking at the pics, you might do well going up and out. Moving the master cyl might be in order and the smartest. Dartin's are on an RB with -1's so you can get a visual of what a gang of tubes may look like. The worst flowing will be #2 by far. Orient them firing into the collector in a circle too. Should be easier to fab putting the collector above the mid-level body line...

Yes master cyl is going inside with a wilwood reverse pedal assembly. Im really leaning towards front of the tire exit because i dont want to chop up the firewall....but who knows. Right now im stripping it all down to get the frame straight and get the inner fender wells out.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Header thread - 02/17/22 02:52 AM

Been our experience too

5% heavier. Next time use 18ga.

Re: Header thread - 02/17/22 03:00 AM

Rust. Mild steel will rust inside, even if coated. Some of the rust scale will end up back in the cylinder.

Heat conduction. SS doesn't conduct heat as well. More heat stays in the exhaust gas.
Posted By: fbs63

Re: Header thread - 02/17/22 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by CMcAllister

Rust. Mild steel will rust inside, even if coated. Some of the rust scale will end up back in the cylinder.

Heat conduction. SS doesn't conduct heat as well. More heat stays in the exhaust gas.

Plus you can use 18 gauge tube.

Re: Header thread - 02/17/22 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by fbs63
Originally Posted by CMcAllister

Plus you can use 18 gauge tube.

16 gauge set, 30", 2.125 d, with 3/8" full flange and a merge collector is heavy. No doubt.
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: Header thread - 02/17/22 10:23 PM

3/8 Flanges with added center bolts, no gaskets. 1 7/8" 321 stainless tube. Made a poor choice of having them ceramic coated. Burned off after the first few launches. Very expensive even doing it all myself. Worth every cent. Never needed any repairs even with torturous zero degree launch strategies.

Attached picture e-mail sized pics 022.jpg
Attached picture e-mail sized pics 017.jpg
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Header thread - 02/18/22 12:00 AM

looks like to me that you are tempting fate with those extruded aluminum Crane rocker arms and using springs between them instead of shims and spacers twocents work
Murphy would have burnt any rig I worked on with twin turbos and solid roller cams with those rockers arms on my builds to the ground whiney work

Re: Header thread - 02/18/22 12:21 AM

broke more than one exhaust rocker… that pic was to show the exhaust flange with center studs between the ports.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Header thread - 02/18/22 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
looks like to me that you are tempting fate with those extruded aluminum Crane rocker arms and using springs between them instead of shims and spacers twocents work
Murphy would have burnt any rig I worked on with twin turbos and solid roller cams with those rockers arms on my builds to the ground whiney work

I also elongated the shafts using those stock hold downs laugh2
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Header thread - 02/18/22 01:11 AM

Wish I could link picts but I’m fortunate to live 50 miles from REF Unlimited home of “headers while you wait”. I’ve had Greg do two sets of pipe. Drop off at 7am, pickup by 2-3….. dudes an artist.

Re: Header thread - 02/18/22 10:36 AM

got you both covered…

Attached picture DB34841D-BB2D-4617-8D5C-DEBB40F8310C.jpeg
Attached picture D23041FB-12CF-4C86-9D53-E8C27C48411B.jpeg
Posted By: jlatessa

Re: Header thread - 02/18/22 02:34 PM

I see some weight savings on your intake manifold bolts.....LOL

Joe

Re: Header thread - 02/18/22 03:54 PM

I KNOW you guys are just lightly jabbing or even adding constructive criticism but, it can read harsh. I just don't want to discourage ANYONE from posting pics. We can all gain from it. Thanks for adding to the thread again!

Re: Header thread - 02/18/22 05:18 PM

While definitely not a Mopar thought I would share some more headers. Vettes old small, pump gas street car headers to it's current racey ones boogie This is a stock front end car, stock steering, control arms and frame rails.

Street car days
[Linked Image]

Current headers
[Linked Image]

Re: Header thread - 02/18/22 06:14 PM

While definitely not a Mopar thought I would share some more headers. Vettes old small, pump gas street car headers to it's current racey ones boogie This is a stock front end car, stock steering, control arms and frame rails.

Street car days
[Linked Image]

Current headers
[Linked Image]

Ovaled tube in the second pic is interesting. You ever talk to someone at one of the big race shops about the effects of doing that? Maintaining the area as opposed to just beating a dent in it seems a better solution. Just wonder if it hurts it. Sometimes you just have to make it fit.

Re: Header thread - 02/18/22 06:40 PM

Many other changes to those heads between those two pics. The last revision before the new headers was to move the exhaust valve guide/valve over to make more room for the largest intake valve we could get in that small chamber. The entire exhaust port was then reshaped for a much smaller valve. All the work was done by Slawko of course. But good catch smile FWIW these headers were done by REF in Kingman, Greg and the guys have YEARS of experience with everything from bracket stuff to comp. We hold the shop record for the longest amount of time a car has spent in the shop getting headers made. It was there 4.5 days. As Jay pointed out most stuff is in at breakfast and done by lunch or shortly there after.

Re: Header thread - 07/06/22 06:40 PM

interesting reading for sure. Im making some fender exits now and its funny that to make them equal length in a tight space it requires a few "loops" I have been instructed that loops and bends are restrictive. Make them short and fewer bends instead of equal length and a lot of bends...ill post up some pics later tonight for all to see my sawzall
weld
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Header thread - 07/06/22 07:37 PM

Attached picture B0C8E02B-0B6B-419C-BA20-40DF46CB3A0E.jpeg
Attached picture B48D8B43-700E-492B-8FF7-B5F74FDCA9AE.jpeg
Attached picture C11094DC-A8A9-4B38-A7DA-A1BB75F1AD3B.jpeg
Attached picture 2B32E7BF-BD43-4571-9607-C0077B257960.jpeg

Re: Header thread - 07/06/22 09:31 PM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Brad_Haak

Re: Header thread - 07/06/22 09:57 PM

I used to have the magazine this article was in originally, but just came across it online. It may be from 2003, but I believe most of the info is still pertinent. LINK
Posted By: actionange

Re: Header thread - 07/07/22 12:10 AM

Came with car and the inner fenders were already cut

Attached picture 112DD6E4-8AAF-463B-A75D-1B62491F18C3.jpeg
Attached picture C5AAB486-C270-4E9E-9788-CEBEF6AE7226.jpeg
Attached picture 295F21FB-03EF-426F-BACC-97696794EF6E.jpeg

Re: Header thread - 07/07/22 03:49 AM

It’s a start , I’m no professional

Attached picture B8CAEB03-A769-477A-A19A-308657B0BD10.jpeg
Attached picture 52EB5792-FD08-44BA-9878-B9AC804C2723.jpeg
Attached picture A53BBAAA-9CBB-45B0-B442-06841C76132F.jpeg
Attached picture 39A8DEB4-F938-49EB-8EBC-A838236297CF.jpeg
Posted By: EvilB1Dart

Re: Header thread - 07/07/22 04:02 AM

Nice work Tony! Looks like decent access to plugs.

Dracarys…… biggrin

Attached picture 2ACF4B89-DB44-4C17-89BA-53E9ED0F40FF.jpeg
Attached picture EAE0CC9A-CD64-4C20-9CBC-34605A5F84F1.jpeg
Attached picture D38CFC9F-26C3-4B7D-A7E7-30EDAC9EF77F.jpeg
Attached picture 0D0559C2-3B7D-4F26-BE5E-10DB0800F8E0.jpeg

Re: Header thread - 07/07/22 10:15 AM

Here are the headers I built. Finished, and on the engine.

Attached picture 563June22-2.jpg
Attached picture 563June22-3.jpg
Posted By: Brad_Haak

Re: Header thread - 07/07/22 12:26 PM

You guys do some nice work! punkrocka

Re: Header thread - 07/07/22 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by EvilB1Dart
Nice work Tony! Looks like decent access to plugs.

Dracarys…… biggrin

So far I'm liking what I see! these should pick-up your program!
Posted By: Rodenteliminator

Re: Header thread - 07/07/22 07:50 PM

I am watching this closely, where are you guys getting your 2 1/4 tubing kits I believe I am going to need that size for my low deck with 440-1 heads in a Bbody as of now I can do fenderwell or under chassis, any input will be appreciated. Thanks Doug

Re: Header thread - 07/08/22 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Rodenteliminator
where are you guys getting your 2 1/4 tubing kits

I buy all my tubing from StainlessHeaders.com They are in Minnesota, but not close enough for me to drive there and pick up. Just easier to have them ship to my door, and never had a problem. i didn't buy a "kit" either. just figured out roughly what I needed for bends, and bought a bunch of U bends.

Re: Header thread - 07/08/22 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Rodenteliminator
where are you guys getting your 2 1/4 tubing kits

I buy all my tubing from StainlessHeaders.com They are in Minnesota, but not close enough for me to drive there and pick up. Just easier to have them ship to my door, and never had a problem. i didn't buy a "kit" either. just figured out roughly what I needed for bends, and bought a bunch of U bends.

X2 on stainless headers. I didnt see what i wanted as far as a kit on their site, i called there and they built a kit for me. Quick shipping and great guys to deal with
Posted By: Rodenteliminator

Re: Header thread - 07/08/22 08:53 PM

Thanks guys, I was looking for a kit but that answers my question. Doug

Re: Header thread - 07/08/22 11:11 PM

Hedman race division sells flanges, bends and straight pipes and all the components needed to make your own headers scope
They offer U bends and J bends both as well as others type header pipes that I can't remember now ten years later realcrazy

Re: Header thread - 07/09/22 02:22 AM

IMO SPD is the best when it comes to header materials...Quality is next to none but price reflects that.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Header thread - 07/09/22 07:27 AM

Stainless holds heat in the exhaust, which is energy, aiding in better scavenging without having to do what i do. Wrap them, since i build my own out of m. s. Also no rust buildup inside the tubes. That may cause some power loss at some point?

Re: Header thread - 07/11/22 06:05 PM

Driver side tacked , the shorted tube ended up 18 , but the collector adds 2” (merge) so it’s within 6” of what it was supposed to be . I got the cyl in order to fire in a circle also , that helped because it added a few inches to #3

Attached picture 4E259115-A4FB-49BE-917E-EBCACD8A4B9F.jpeg
Attached picture 11A43164-3EAE-4141-9194-2A20FD1A54FD.jpeg

Re: Header thread - 07/11/22 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by gregsdart

Stainless holds heat in the exhaust, which is energy, aiding in better scavenging without having to do what i do. Wrap them, since i build my own out of m. s. Also no rust buildup inside the tubes. That may cause some power loss at some point?

Regular steel, coated, wrapped, or stainless, NONE of that stuff makes any difference in HP. Wrapped will keep heat down in the engine compartment, but it does't help make power.

Re: Header thread - 07/27/22 01:08 PM

Getting there .

Attached picture ED0B7E62-1006-489E-808B-DE09653690A7.jpeg
Attached picture 1981CA74-A884-4543-9723-9DA07A688606.jpeg

Re: Header thread - 07/27/22 01:16 PM

Looking good Tony.
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Header thread - 07/27/22 02:05 PM

That collector exit on the side of the car will look wicked.
Maybe blow the hat off a bystander... LOL

Re: Header thread - 07/27/22 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by 440Jim
That collector exit on the side of the car will look wicked.
Maybe blow the hat off a bystander... LOL

they will be trimmed way back. maybe just stick out 1" or so past the fender. We are not allowed bullhorns in Ultra street wink BUT whats going on inside the fender..... Really it wont be much, but its all i could get in the little real estate there is.

Re: Header thread - 07/27/22 03:48 PM

Nice tape biggrin

Looking good.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Header thread - 07/28/22 05:40 PM

mentioning bullhorns, what advantage do they serve ?
i am asking this because i seem to be seeing more of them on fast cars.
TIA for helping me to understand.
beer

Re: Header thread - 07/28/22 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by moparx
beer

Downforce. While not a lot, on a fast car, you take every bit of advantage you can to not get air under the car.

Re: Header thread - 07/28/22 08:55 PM

beer

ON a car with no wheelie bars, they are supposed to add (from the exhaust velocity aimed up) almost 30lbs to the front, without carrying 30lbs if that makes sense.
Helps keep the front down

Re: Header thread - 07/28/22 08:55 PM

I'm assuming Bullhorns mean the collector pointing up outside the body, correct or not?
I would be temted,if i had set, to try pointing them back towards the rear bumper for additional ET work devil
Greedy I BE whistling grin

Re: Header thread - 07/29/22 04:45 PM

beer

JericoGTX : Downforce. While not a lot, on a fast car, you take every bit of advantage you can to not get air under the car.

n20mstr : ON a car with no wheelie bars, they are supposed to add (from the exhaust velocity aimed up) almost 30lbs to the front, without carrying 30lbs if that makes sense.
Helps keep the front down

thanks for helping me understand this guys ! up bow
beer

Re: Header thread - 07/29/22 06:44 PM

Nice tape biggrin

Looking good.

You know us body guys , we use masking tape for everything.
Tape removed

Attached picture 0D89B90C-4818-4481-A576-B5EF3B96709B.jpeg
Attached picture 65248B60-ECB2-414E-9631-2E50A3C7E67F.jpeg

Re: Header thread - 07/30/22 03:34 PM

weld

Attached picture 13DDE95D-FDFF-45B2-9394-37207CCAA336.jpeg
Posted By: crackedback

Re: Header thread - 07/30/22 06:34 PM

I'm assuming Bullhorns mean the collector pointing up outside the body, correct or not?
I would be temted,if i had set, to try pointing them back towards the rear bumper for additional ET work devil

Drag from the tube hanging outside the body would likely outstrip any "thrust" from the headers

Re: Header thread - 07/31/22 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by crackedback

Drag from the tube hanging outside the body would likely outstrip any "thrust" from the headers

that's one thing [among others] that makes me not quite understand why bullhorns are used.
beer

Re: Header thread - 07/31/22 08:24 PM

When it comes to aerodynamics testing Mopar did a bunch of that using crepe paper strips on one of their test Dusters back in the mid 1970s filming it and then looking at each frame from the starting line to the finish line in the 1/4 mile.
I've seen the same testing done on small racing airplanes the nose, fuselage, wings, rudder and tail designs all come into play on aerodynamic drag,
I owned and flew a Piper 260 Comanche single engine 5 place airplane, it would average around 180 MPH indicated air speed straight and level on 60% full power above 9500 Ft. above sea level, the fuel consumption got a lot better the higher you flew do to needing to lean it out for the thinner air up
We were flying back to SO CA from visiting our grandkids in Seatle WA, we were above a cloud layer at 11,500 ft the outside air temps were right at 5 F, the ride was very smooth, and I was bored so I started playing around with prop pitch RPM, sliding my seat all the way back as far as it would go made the airplane speed up around 4 MPH boogie
Slowing the prop speed down from 2400 RPM to 2300 RPM picked up 12 MPH shock
I ended up trying from 2000 RPM to 2600 RPM in 500 RPM increments, that airplane that day a in those weather at that altitude like 2300 RPM best.
My message is to test before deciding on what will work versus what you may think will or won't work on our toys twocents wrench scope work up
Lots of ways to slow down, not so many on making our cars and other toys faster, test, test and test some more wrench up
Posted By: TT5 Valiant

Re: Header thread - 08/02/22 01:35 AM

2.250 tube with 4” collector B1 RB in a Foxbody.

Attached picture D3BAABC1-5C97-4563-9398-2CFD74847BE6.jpeg
Attached picture 704F1C00-0E3C-43CA-855A-4F0DF77AFBFC.jpeg
Posted By: LA360

Re: Header thread - 08/02/22 09:19 AM

that's one thing [among others] that makes me not quite understand why bullhorns are used.
beer

Plenty of folk still using them, people have done testing with positive results as well.

https://www.yellowbullet.com/thread...ust-a-fad-or-does-it-really-work.230383/

https://www.dragzine.com/news/upturned-bull-horn-exhaust-just-a-fad-or-does-it-really-work/

Some older articles for your reading

Re: Header thread - 08/02/22 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by LA360

beer

Plenty of folk still using them, people have done testing with positive results as well.

https://www.dragzine.com/news/upturned-bull-horn-exhaust-just-a-fad-or-does-it-really-work/

Wow! educational, thanks ! up
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Header thread - 08/02/22 12:54 PM

Mine....old way.....new way...Notice the size difference in the tubes...

Attached picture DSC04110.JPG
Attached picture DSC06963.JPG

Re: Header thread - 08/02/22 06:29 PM

thanks for the links LA ! up
i can finally start to understand this concept.
there is quite a bit of difference between an 11 second car and a 5 [or 4] second one. biggrin
beer

Re: Header thread - 08/13/22 03:21 PM

Finished product

Attached picture E0913DF6-3C86-41FF-A726-E1631F934D41.jpeg
Posted By: crackedback

Re: Header thread - 08/13/22 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by LA360

beer

Turning them up to help with downforce, sure. It's free weight not subject to a those post race weighing thingies, scales.

Turning them back to the rear to increase speed through additional thrust, I doubt it seriously has a positive effect. Drag vs thrust.

Re: Header thread - 08/18/22 11:16 PM

One side done, a couple pipes to fix on the other, then wrap that side. Getting close!

Attached picture PXL_20220818_193530090.jpg
Posted By: CJD AUTOMOTIVE

Re: Header thread - 08/19/22 01:01 PM

Here is a set I built for my street/road race 'Cuda. It's a turbo car with 345's up front, so packaging is tight.

I'm using the Victor heads, and no one makes a header flange I liked. I bought the Stainless Headers one and figured out it's just a copy of the .dxf file for the gasket. Decided to make my own (right one is the SH flange and left is mine):

[Linked Image]

I had these water jet cut, and the port slug gave me an idea. I reduced the OD about .030", put a radius on the driven edge, and drilled a hole to attach a handle. This became my forming tool for the stubs. I formed the stub on the bench, inserted, and then formed it again in the flange. Worked out pretty good:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I used the Lego's to layout about 10 different setup's. The goal was all primaries within 1/2" of each other, easy spark plug access, and be removable without pulling the engine! I finally got there, but damn...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The other side was no easier, as I have the engine offset 1-1/2" to the passenger side.

Re: Header thread - 08/19/22 01:04 PM

Couple more, hit the posting limit above.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Header thread - 08/19/22 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by CJD AUTOMOTIVE

Wow !! Impressive stuff for sure, any pics of the whole project ?

Re: Header thread - 08/19/22 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by gregsdart
One side done, a couple pipes to fix on the other, then wrap that side. Getting close!

Greg,
Good to hear the progress.
What didn't you like about the #1 and #7 tubes?

Re: Header thread - 08/19/22 03:17 PM

Here is a set I built for my street/road race 'Cuda.

I had these water jet cut, and the port slug gave me an idea. I reduced the OD about .030", put a radius on the driven edge, and drilled a hole to attach a handle. This became my forming tool for the stubs. I formed the stub on the bench, inserted, and then formed it again in the flange. Worked out pretty good:

Craig,
Good job with forming the tubes.

Re: Header thread - 08/22/22 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Tig

I do, but all in weird stages. I'm about to get it off the table and will post up some with it together more. Her is a rendering I had done, not exact but close:

[Linked Image]

Re: Header thread - 08/22/22 04:04 PM

Re: Header thread - 08/22/22 08:35 PM

Greg said he needs to "fix" #1 and #7 tubes.

Re: Header thread - 08/22/22 09:17 PM

Re: Header thread - 08/22/22 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by 440Jim
Greg said he needs to "fix" #1 and #7 tubes.

Jim, I didn't secure the collecters to pipes 3 &5 good enough, and the collecters slid down 1/2 inch while facing up 1& 7. So, they don't fit well, 🙄

Re: Header thread - 08/23/22 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tig

I do, but all in weird stages. I'm about to get it off the table and will post up some with it together more. Her is a rendering I had done, not exact but close:

[Linked Image]

Looks very purposeful grin up
© 2024 Moparts Forums