Moparts

Best custom racing carb?

Posted By: 70satelliteguy

Best custom racing carb? - 02/05/22 08:07 PM

A lot of stuff isn't available right now. I've been waiting on a Quickfuel 1200 now since last September. Anyone recommend a custom place to try?
Thanks Mike
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Best custom racing carb? - 02/05/22 08:17 PM

I used BLP for a lot of carbs back in the old days when I ran a carb. No idea if they have parts in stock or not so you'll have to call them.
Posted By: topside

Re: Best custom racing carb? - 02/05/22 08:18 PM

Buddy of mine has Bo Laws Holley on his car and loves it.
He bought it maybe 8-10 years ago.
There's also Thumper (IIRC) on this board, though I haven't seen a post from him in some time.
I've never heard anything but praise for his carbs.
Posted By: markz528

Re: Best custom racing carb? - 02/05/22 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by topside
Buddy of mine has Bo Laws Holley on his car and loves it.
He bought it maybe 8-10 years ago.
There's also Thumper (IIRC) on this board, though I haven't seen a post from him in some time.
I've never heard anything but praise for his carbs.

My Gary Williams carbs always ran great out of the box. I have had 4 or 5 of them over the years and have 2 of them now.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Best custom racing carb? - 02/05/22 09:27 PM

Lots of carb tuners out there for sure. My suggestion make some calls and see who is willing to work with you and do what you want done. There is one on here Dominic Thumper Carbs. We work with Dale Cubic closely but more because we have a personal relationship with him. AS far as carbs nothing is better than a Braswell IMO but they come at a price. But anyone named here can help..Just DONT call Pro Systems smile

Re: Best custom racing carb? - 02/05/22 09:59 PM

Thanks for the replies. Keep them coming!
Mike
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: Best custom racing carb? - 02/05/22 10:02 PM

Dom@Thumpercarbs can get it done for you. He uses BLP parts and builds one heck of a great performing carb. He builds billet Dominators or 4150's. Not only do they perform top notch, but they look badass as well if that matters. I currently have 2 on a T ram performing as well or better that FI. Just spoke with him yesterday, he didn't mention waiting on parts, so you get something built right away. Give him a call, you wont be sorry, just all smiles.
Posted By: HDNMOPERS

Re: Best custom racing carb? - 02/05/22 11:44 PM

Yep use Dom also. His carbs are super high quality and built specifically for your build. And you get jets and bleeds. Customer service with Dom is basically endless. And you talk directly to him.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Best custom racing carb? - 02/06/22 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by 70satelliteguy
Thanks for the replies. Keep them coming!
Mike

Dominck phone number is 760-900-3895 scope
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Best custom racing carb? - 02/06/22 02:08 AM

We use nothing but APD with our alcohol carbs. I did some horse trading for a 1250 gas carb but haven’t tried it yet

Attached picture 9ABE1FD5-FF72-4F81-A37A-AD9B43510520.jpeg
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Best custom racing carb? - 02/06/22 02:29 AM

Another vote for Dominic of Thumper Carbs!!!! His carbs have worked awesome on all my mopars...I highly recommend one of his billet ones with blp jets....I could not believe how good the plugs looked this year with blp jets.

Re: Best custom racing carb? - 02/06/22 02:44 PM

I

I did e-mail Dominic to see if he could help me. I will also call him next week. Does he also work on customers carbs?
Posted By: Wirenut

Re: Best custom racing carb? - 02/06/22 03:05 PM

Very happy with my AED
Posted By: boomerodell

Re: Best custom racing carb? - 02/06/22 03:09 PM

Another vote for Dominic. Petty sure he will rebuild or tune an existing carburetor. Best to call him.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Best custom racing carb? - 02/06/22 03:21 PM

Sorry I'm not on here much but call anytime and I can hook you up and put you in a top shelf billet masterpiece......760-900-3895....
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Best custom racing carb? - 02/08/22 01:18 PM

I

I did e-mail Dominic to see if he could help me. I will also call him next week. Does he also work on customers carbs?

Yep, Dom went through an 8896 dominator we have on the Camaro and it turned out great. up

Al...has Pro Systems gotten bad? It's been 15 years since I dealt w/ them, but they've done 2 dominators for me that I'm happy with. Like I said though, that was years ago.
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Best custom racing carb? - 02/08/22 01:43 PM

I

Honestly, after he gets done correcting stuff on the carb, you might as well sell your old one, and have him build a new piece. That is my plan anyways.
Posted By: Since1822

Re: Best custom racing carb? - 02/08/22 05:15 PM

Another vote for Thumper. I'm on my second carb from him and he does a great job. Dom is a good dude
Posted By: 71Demon528

Re: Best custom racing carb? - 02/09/22 12:49 PM

I run an AED dominator which I think works well, my engine builder runs a Bob Book dominator which is deadly consistent and fast, my dad runs an old holley 8896-1 dominator from the 90s which is setup with the factory bleeds, and jets and it was deadly on his engine. These are all race gas dominators.

I have a lot of friends who run APD (Advanced Product Design) mainly on alcohol like Pittsburghracer said and they all love APD. I have a friend who just ordered an APD race gas dominator for a 572 wedge that is currently being built and they were I believe 5-6 weeks out on build time and $1,479. My dad is in need of a new dominator when his 572 Hemi is close to being complete and I plan on him ordering an APD. I would say APD is one of the most popular carburetor/dominators out my way, a lot of guys run their stuff and love it. If I had to order a brand new dominator for my car I would likely order an APD because their price is good, its all billet, and their customer service is great.

Being new to moparts and reading some of these threads I see there are a lot of people who comment about carb shops I never heard of so I am sure they are reputable as well.
Posted By: 469runner

Re: Best custom racing carb? - 02/12/22 03:05 PM

William Baldwin does great work. https://www.baldwinperformancecarbs.com/
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: Best custom racing carb? - 02/16/22 04:51 PM

Dominic worked with me on the build of my carbs. Although, I haven't changed anything but 1 jet size from his baseline values. I really don't expect MUCH more than what it's given already! That is based on both performance and O2 sensor feedback so, I have to call that a 'nailed-it'. I will add the metering is on the safe side which again in my book is 'nailed-it'. But for some reason we don't talk much anymore. Like anywhere else, I believe many pic his brain and don't reciprocate/compensate.

Attached picture FullWireOn.jpg
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Best custom racing carb? - 02/16/22 05:22 PM

Dominic does some beautiful work as I follow him on Facebook. He lives in a beautiful but cold part of the country since his move. Future plans should work out great for him and his customers. I wish him nothing but good luck
Posted By: 1savoyracer

Re: Best custom racing carb? - 02/16/22 06:00 PM

I have one from Luke Seibert, a 1050 dominator, and I am very happy with it.

Re: Best custom racing carb? - 02/25/22 03:05 PM

I'm actually busier than ever from FB or word of mouth but yes, you can still call me and yes I'm here for you guys. I'm very impressed with how your bad azz car is running and I appreciate the props....
Posted By: Brad_Haak

Re: Best custom racing carb? - 02/25/22 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

Dominic does some beautiful work as I follow him on Facebook. He lives in a beautiful but cold part of the country since his move.

He's morphed from Desert Rat to Snowman wink
Posted By: HEMI472

Re: Best custom racing carb? - 02/25/22 05:16 PM

why not pro systems ??? are they bad ???
Posted By: Brad_Haak

Re: Best custom racing carb? - 02/25/22 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by HEMI472

popcorn
Posted By: Tig

Re: Best custom racing carb? - 02/25/22 06:42 PM

Mine was great. We switched from an off the shelf 1050 Dominator (on a well used and scienced out 528 motor), to a Pro Systems dom that was built for my new (at the time) 572. I think it was rated around 1200cfm, I can't remember. Anyway, we also swapped out the manifold (440-3) to a 440-3X (again for the 572) and picked up 2 10th's. We ran it for the rest of the season, after a little tweaking, it ran a best of 10.003 @ 137 compared to the 10.3?? (it's previous best). So a solid 3 10th's overall. Pretty sure this was about 12 - 13 years ago.

Re: Best custom racing carb? - 02/25/22 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Brad_Haak

popcorn

Both mine was so far off, car wouldn't leave the garage under its own power. Go with Thumper and have one of the best carbs you will ever have....
Posted By: Harry's Taxi 2

Re: Best custom racing carb? - 02/25/22 09:21 PM

I was pretty hard on Pro Systems a while back, but after tuning with an O2 recorder, they (2-750ish's tunnel ram) weren't that far off as far as fuel curve and jetting.

Where i was really irritated was the idle and off idle initial performance.
Moving the idle jet to the lower position and some minor tweaking got them working quite well. I'm working with a pair of Dambest's now, so we'll see how they compare this season.

My brother bought a 906hp Hemi from Barton a while back and it came with a Pro Systems 1250 on it.
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: Best custom racing carb? - 02/25/22 09:25 PM

Against his better judgement, last year a friend had a Dominator redone by Pro Systems, and similar experiences. The carb came back with a ton of work done to it, and might have still been ok at WOT, but he absolutely ruined the part throttle drivability. He couldn't go around the block anymore without the plugs getting fouled. Was a super common combo too, just an LS7 big block Chevy shortblock with a normal sized roller cam and single 4 intake.

Re: Best custom racing carb? - 02/27/22 02:16 PM

I have contacted Dominic and he is currently building my carb. Customer service and your recommendations was what sold me. I like the fact that he was willing to talk with me extensively about my combination on several occasions. I can't wait to try the new carb out!
Mike

Re: Best custom racing carb? - 02/27/22 02:22 PM

I appreciate the opportunity to build what I and many others feel are one of the best carbs out there and I don't know anyone who hasn't picked up unless they didn't say anything to me and if so, I will always try and make whatever right....

Re: Best custom racing carb? UPDATE! - 03/13/22 01:50 AM

Here is my new custom carb from Dominic(THUMPER CARBS) that is on the way! Great Fast customer service. Can't wait for racing season to start and give it a try.

Mike
p.s. Sure it pretty

Attached picture 66879452778__D9924209-0294-408D-9F5D-262F3168A775.jpg
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Best custom racing carb? - 03/13/22 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

We use nothing but APD with our alcohol carbs. I did some horse trading for a 1250 gas carb but haven’t tried it yet

I bought an APD alcohol carb a couple years ago, and love it. Calibration was great.
I originally borrowed the carb from another racer who was running race gas. I liked it so much I gave him the money to buy a brand new one from APD and kept the used one....

Attached picture APD_carb3-30.jpg
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Best custom racing carb? - 03/13/22 02:34 AM

A good carb is hard to find. If you find one, keep it.

We tested several custom carbs last week on the dyno and they all sucked. We have a box stock Holley Gen 3 Dominator that just flat out works. It consistently runs better and makes more power than any of the "tuner" carbs that customers bring in. I don't have any explanation for it, just the way it goes.

Re: Best custom racing carb? - 03/13/22 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by AndyF
A good carb is hard to find. If you find one, keep it.

We tested several custom carbs last week on the dyno and they all sucked. We have a box stock Holley Gen 3 Dominator that just flat out works. It consistently runs better and makes more power than any of the "tuner" carbs that customers bring in. I don't have any explanation for it, just the way it goes.

Everyone keeps buying the Thumper carbs I get, and then I have to order another. Its like telling people isn't always enough...Show them the plugs after a day at the track and the performance you got out if it, and man they offer up the money....

His carbs respond to the smallest changes. You can dial them right to the edge....There are very few people I would order a 4500 carb from and feel comfortable that when I got it, it would be close enough for an idiot like me to tune it with a little over the phone help.
© 2024 Moparts Forums