Moparts

2 piece BB valve covers?

Posted By: I_bleed_MOPAR

2 piece BB valve covers? - 01/21/22 09:23 PM

Anyone know of a set of that will work for adjustable rockers? It's such a pain to r&r the covers then lean over the fenders again to run the valves. And I'm not getting any younger. blush
Search here turned up nothing as far as being adjustable-friendly to just remove the top part. Any help is appreciated. up

Tim
Posted By: AndyF

Re: 2 piece BB valve covers? - 01/21/22 11:31 PM

Something like this?

Attached picture DSC_0017 (Large).JPG
Attached picture DSC_9529 (Large).JPG
Attached picture DSC_9555 (Large).JPG
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: 2 piece BB valve covers? - 01/21/22 11:42 PM

Those are beautiful. I wish they had an AR part number!
Posted By: BloFish

Re: 2 piece BB valve covers? - 01/22/22 12:49 AM

iagree

Re: 2 piece BB valve covers? - 01/22/22 12:53 AM

Looks like that would work (minus the clear top wink ). up
Are these on the market or just one-offs someone made?

Tim
Posted By: jlatessa

Re: 2 piece BB valve covers? - 01/22/22 01:10 AM

Let's guess who made them??????

They would be a seller, What do you think Andy? Any chance//

Joe
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: 2 piece BB valve covers? - 01/22/22 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by I_bleed_MOPAR
Anyone know of a set of that will work for adjustable rockers? It's such a pain to r&r the covers then lean over the fenders again to run the valves. And I'm not getting any younger. blush
Search here turned up nothing as far as being adjustable-friendly to just remove the top part. Any help is appreciated. up

Tim

I do not think having two piece will make it any easier.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: 2 piece BB valve covers? - 01/22/22 01:44 PM

I agree. Less messy maybe!
Posted By: lancer493

Re: 2 piece BB valve covers? - 01/22/22 02:42 PM

I too agree,it maybe less messy to adjust rockers. Also would aid fresh start-ups, oiling valve springs and pre oiling pushrod, valve and rocker tips. May offer visual on oil drainback and oil spray characteristics. Andy could probably rate the last part based on his experience of the visibility quality available. Aluminum tops could be substituted for continued use if the were less expensive and more durable. The clear top could be available as an optional piece for inspection purposes. The real problem is the same as aftermarket blocks presents. Less BBM engines being built. Production costs/sales may be cost prohibitve for manufacturing. Now if you're a builder of multiple BBM engines and combinations of this engine, there is no denying the value of this helpful tool. As a side note, it sort of helps make the case for hydralic roller cams for anything but all-out combos. Extremely nice product and workmanship on Andy's covers! Bill

Re: 2 piece BB valve covers? - 01/22/22 03:06 PM

They work great on the dyno. Allow us to see the oil spray as well as the operation of the valvetrain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hlw70nAao38
Posted By: lancer493

Re: 2 piece BB valve covers? - 01/22/22 03:15 PM

Thanks Andy for the link to that video. The visibility with your valve covers is incredible. What a great tool. Great job! Bill

Re: 2 piece BB valve covers? - 01/22/22 05:20 PM

Andi i would love set to have at the dyno down here. Cab and I dyno at the same place so they would get used for sure.

Re: 2 piece BB valve covers? - 01/22/22 09:28 PM

I built two of them and we only use one so I could sell one cover. They were expensive to build so you might not want to hear the price but if you're interested shoot me a PM.

Here is a link to a video showing the cover in operation during a dyno pull. Once the engine hits 6000 rpm the cover fills up with oil.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oLyIhDdKww
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: 2 piece BB valve covers? - 01/22/22 09:53 PM

What material is used for the transparent panel? Plexiglass? Lexan? How does it stand up to the heat?
Posted By: 68rrunner

Re: 2 piece BB valve covers? - 01/22/22 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by AndyF
I built two of them and we only use one so I could sell one cover. They were expensive to build so you might not want to hear the price but if you're interested shoot me a PM.

Here is a link to a video showing the cover in operation during a dyno pull. Once the engine hits 6000 rpm the cover fills up with oil.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oLyIhDdKww

Filled with oil or just so much splash that the view became obscured?
Had me concerned about the oil being able to drain back in a road racing situation.

Re: 2 piece BB valve covers? - 01/22/22 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by John_Kunkel
What material is used for the transparent panel? Plexiglass? Lexan? How does it stand up to the heat?

I used Lexan. It has a melting point of 500 degrees so it isn't really bothered by 180 degree oil. I assume that the Lexan would fail in an OEM environment but we just use these covers for dyno engines so they only get an hour of use maybe once a month.

Re: 2 piece BB valve covers? - 01/23/22 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Stanton

My thinking was that it would be a little easier to R&R the top cover than to R&R the whole valve cover.
If no one has any real-world experience (other than Andy), maybe I'll switch to studs & nuts for the covers with a dab of adhesive to hold the gasket in place.

Thanks,

Tim
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: 2 piece BB valve covers? - 01/23/22 05:15 PM

I glue my gaskets to the covers with 3M trim adhesive and use long set screws for studs and flanged nuts on my engine. Works great and stays clean twocents

Gus beer

Re: 2 piece BB valve covers? - 01/23/22 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by fourgearsavoy
I glue my gaskets to the covers with 3M trim adhesive and use long set screws for studs and flanged nuts on my engine. Works great and stays clean twocents

Gus beer

thumbs

Tim

Re: 2 piece BB valve covers? - 01/23/22 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by I_bleed_MOPAR
Originally Posted by Stanton

My thinking was that it would be a little easier to R&R the top cover than to R&R the whole valve cover.
If no one has any real-world experience (other than Andy), maybe I'll switch to studs & nuts for the covers with a dab of adhesive to hold the gasket in place.

Thanks,

Tim

In my experience the best setup is a set of rigid valve covers with a very thick, very rigid rail. Use them with an aftermarket aluminum head with a machined valve cover rail and then use the Cometic rubber/steel core gasket. That combination is leak proof and you never need to replace the gasket. Just wipe it clean and reuse it over and over. I build my own valve covers since nobody used to sell one that I liked but the new Trick Flow valve cover is pretty good.

Attached picture DSC_9603 (Large).JPG
Attached picture DSC_3438 (Large).JPG
Posted By: BloFish

Re: 2 piece BB valve covers? - 01/24/22 08:00 AM

I guess a response via pm is not possible?
Posted By: markz528

Re: 2 piece BB valve covers? - 01/24/22 03:42 PM

This is where in my opinion o rings are an absolute no brainer. I first went with o rings about 15 years ago and never looked back. I have the process down now fairly well and have done a few sets for myself and other folks. My first set was done on my manual Bridgeport with a rotary table - that was not fun. Pull the valve cover on and off at will and don't worry about leaks.

Attached picture IMG_3562.jpg
Posted By: dafixr

Re: 2 piece BB valve covers? - 01/25/22 04:08 PM

Here is a set we made for our Goodwin Hemi
no problem racing car with them.

Attached picture valve cover #1.jpg
Attached picture valve cover #2.jpg
Attached picture valve cover  #3.jpg
Attached picture valve cover #4.jpg

Re: 2 piece BB valve covers? - 01/25/22 11:50 PM

That hemi is beyond cool. How many fasteners per cover and how thick is the lexan?
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: 2 piece BB valve covers? - 01/26/22 06:17 PM

O rings FTW! I dont really get the appeal of the lexan covers but to each his own. Also dont see how a two piece covers helps in adjusting valves,sure dot look like enough room to me to gain access.

Re: 2 piece BB valve covers? - 01/27/22 02:47 PM

lexan is 1/4 thick

Re: 2 piece BB valve covers? - 01/27/22 02:48 PM

we take our covers off to adjust
© 2024 Moparts Forums