Moparts

Roll Cage Certification

Posted By: mopowers

Roll Cage Certification - 01/17/22 03:49 AM

Does a roll cage need to be certified if a cage isn't required (e.g., 10.50 sec car with unmodified floor, firewall, etc.)? At what point does a cage require a certification?
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Roll Cage Certification - 01/17/22 05:25 AM

Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Roll Cage Certification - 01/17/22 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by cudaman1969

Correct. You can have anything in there you want over and above what you need.

When you get to where it is required for your situation (9.99, 135MPH) then it needs a tag.

Plenty of people put the full cage in even if not required. 1.625 tubing vs. 1.750, safety, chassis stiffness, resale value. going faster in the future
Posted By: BigBlockGTS

Re: Roll Cage Certification - 01/17/22 07:54 PM

I have a quick question along these lines. If I add a full cage to my car and it only ran in the 10's, would I need a window net? In other words, is the net required for 9.99 or is the net required on any car with a full halo and cage?
Posted By: crackedback

Re: Roll Cage Certification - 01/17/22 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlockGTS
I have a quick question along these lines. If I add a full cage to my car and it only ran in the 10's, would I need a window net? In other words, is the net required for 9.99 or is the net required on any car with a full halo and cage?

Call NHRA and get a letter regarding that.

Had one friend go round and round with tech about that very issue. Cage but no net, never running under 10.00. Tech wouldn't allow because it had a cage.

Re: Roll Cage Certification - 01/17/22 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by CMcAllister

When you get to where it is required for your situation (9.99, 135MPH) then it needs a tag.

Thanks guys! What if the car is say, a high 10 sec car, but the cage is required because the floor has been modified, or maybe the firewall has been modified? Would the cage need a tag then?

Also, what does the NHRA consider a "modified floor?" If subframe connectors are installed through the stock floor w/ 2x2 outriggers to the rockers (also through the floor) for the main hoop to land on, does that mean the floor is now modified, thus requiring a cage w/ sill bars?
Posted By: Blucuda413

Re: Roll Cage Certification - 01/17/22 10:10 PM

These are some of those questions that you can never convince a local track inspector he's wrong!! The window net ? is classic. Many believe that if it has a cage a net is required. Wrong!! A net is required if the rules REQUIRE a cage, if the cage is not required the net isn't required..
Posted By: dvw

Re: Roll Cage Certification - 01/18/22 02:33 AM

I learned a long time ago. Read the rule book and know it. Keep a copy with you.
Doug
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Roll Cage Certification - 01/18/22 03:04 AM

It depends on your local tech on what THEY will allow shruggy scope

Re: Roll Cage Certification - 01/18/22 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by mopowers

Thanks guys! What if the car is say, a high 10 sec car, but the cage is required because the floor has been modified, or maybe the firewall has been modified? Would the cage need a tag then?

Also, what does the NHRA consider a "modified floor?" If subframe connectors are installed through the stock floor w/ 2x2 outriggers to the rockers (also through the floor) for the main hoop to land on, does that mean the floor is now modified, thus requiring a cage w/ sill bars?

Frame ties do not constitute a modified floor, Typically you are allowed a 6 square foot area of removable transmission tunnel before anyone says anything.

Convertibles also need a full cage at 10.99.

Re: Roll Cage Certification - 01/18/22 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Blucuda413
These are some of those questions that you can never convince a local track inspector he's wrong!! The window net ? is classic. Many believe that if it has a cage a net is required. Wrong!! A net is required if the rules REQUIRE a cage, if the cage is not required the net isn't required..

Correct. Used to be that if you had a cage you had to have a net, regardless the ET. That was changed a while back.

Re: Roll Cage Certification - 01/18/22 04:36 PM

Frame ties do not constitute a modified floor, Typically you are allowed a 6 square foot area of removable transmission tunnel before anyone says anything.

Convertibles also need a full cage at 10.99.

Thanks for the clarification. I was worried that my subframe connectors and outriggers would require me to install rocker bars since they protrude into the otherwise factory stock floor. Unfortunately, the rulebook allows for multiple interpretations. Thanks again.

Attached picture KIMG0578.JPG
Posted By: Chief

Re: Roll Cage Certification - 01/18/22 04:48 PM

Does a roll cage need to be certified if a cage isn't required (e.g., 10.50 sec car with unmodified floor, firewall, etc.)? At what point does a cage require a certification?

IHRA anything running quicker than 6.00 1/8 mile, 9.00 1/4 mile or 150 mph.

Dave
Posted By: Chief

Re: Roll Cage Certification - 01/18/22 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlockGTS

IHRA, if the class or car "requires" a cage then a window net is also required. If you run in the 10's then you do not need a net.

Dave
© 2024 Moparts Forums