Moparts

UPDATING '65 STEERING COLUMN FOR SAFETY

Posted By: A/MP

UPDATING '65 STEERING COLUMN FOR SAFETY - 01/17/22 02:22 AM

WHAT'S A QUICK AND EASY METHOD TO UPDATING THE FACTORY STEERING COLUMN FROM 1965A BODY?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: UPDATING '65 STEERING COLUMN FOR SAFETY - 01/17/22 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by A/MP
WHAT'S A QUICK AND EASY METHOD TO UPDATING THE FACTORY STEERING COLUMN FROM 1965A BODY?

Updating what part for safety? confused
I have swap columns in several early, pre 1970, Mopars with later ones work scope
Posted By: bobby66

Re: UPDATING '65 STEERING COLUMN FOR SAFETY - 01/17/22 01:50 PM

I think adding a collapsible shaft would make it a little safer. twocents
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: UPDATING '65 STEERING COLUMN FOR SAFETY - 01/17/22 05:22 PM

. Depending on how much exposed steering shaft exists below the column housing you can cut it off and add a DD slip joint from there to the shaft/box coupler. If not enough is exposed it may be possible to disassemble and install it mid span between the upper and lower support bearings in the column housing. Or find one from a later model as stated by others. If you make a DD slip joint, with the shaft at its installed length install a nylon screw from the outer DD into the inner dd to keep it from moving in and out
Posted By: rickraw

Re: UPDATING '65 STEERING COLUMN FOR SAFETY - 01/17/22 05:30 PM

I think they started making collapsible columns in 68. Could go that way.
Posted By: bigdad

Re: UPDATING '65 STEERING COLUMN FOR SAFETY - 01/17/22 06:39 PM

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Ididit-3000460018-Steering-Shaft-Collapsible-18-1-2-Inch,376068.html
Posted By: moparx

Re: UPDATING '65 STEERING COLUMN FOR SAFETY - 01/17/22 06:50 PM

Speedway has a bunch of different parts a fellow can use for our preferred brand, but a lot of guys just think of them as a chevy dirt burner supply house, and go directly to Jegs or Summitt.
i have dealt with Speedway quite a few times, both on line and by phone, and have been more than satisfied with that company and their parts. up
beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums