Moparts

New tunnel ram top

Posted By: Plymouth340

New tunnel ram top - 01/09/22 03:24 AM

I built this dual 4 Barrel tunnel ram top with sheer plates. What are your thoughts how it will work? For a 800 HP W7 small block

Attached picture 20211220_131313 (2).jpg
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: New tunnel ram top - 01/09/22 03:57 AM

Try it and let us know your results wrench up
Good luck, it looks really good bow up
Posted By: moparx

Re: New tunnel ram top - 01/09/22 07:19 PM

very NICE fab work ! up bow
as Cab said, please let us know how it works !
beer
Posted By: tboomer

Re: New tunnel ram top - 01/09/22 08:15 PM

Looks nice Mike!
Posted By: LA360

Re: New tunnel ram top - 01/10/22 03:41 AM

All the tunnel ram intake tops I've seen have a 3D machined insert that the shear plate fitted on to. They usually just featured a radius to transition from the carb to the plenum.

Re: New tunnel ram top - 01/10/22 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by LA360
All the tunnel ram intake tops I've seen have a 3D machined insert that the shear plate fitted on to. They usually just featured a radius to transition from the carb to the plenum.

Attached picture 20211220_120358.jpg

Re: New tunnel ram top - 01/10/22 07:01 AM

Reversion plates are worth some HP on engine dyno tests I've done up
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: New tunnel ram top - 01/10/22 01:13 PM

From what I can see everything 'looks' right. Are the runners optimized to your application? Regardless, if you've converted a single 4 top to the dual top, I'd say that'll show some measurable gains! The anti-revesion plates as has been mentioned will help too. What's going on top of those???

Re: New tunnel ram top - 01/10/22 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by HardcoreB
From what I can see everything 'looks' right. Are the runners optimized to your application? Regardless, if you've converted a single 4 top to the dual top, I'd say that'll show some measurable gains! The anti-revesion plates as has been mentioned will help too. What's going on top of those???

Got two APD 950s coming ...before i was running a single 1200 on this tunnel ram

Re: New tunnel ram top - 01/13/22 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Plymouth340

Got two APD 950s coming ...before i was running a single 1200 on this tunnel ram

Nearly every time I see or hear 'sheer plates' I assume 'ANTI-REVERSION' is what was meant but, I'd be wrong. I'd pop for a good pair of anti-reversion plates (for a number of reasons) and make whatever mods are necessary to fit those. In my experiences, 'those' will almost certainly show improvement on 'line-of-sight' runner orientation configurations. Wilson are the one's I've seen and used but there are others that are THAT STYLE that'll work. Other brands just don't come to mind ATM.

Re: New tunnel ram top - 01/15/22 04:19 AM

Nearly every time I see or hear 'sheer plates' I assume 'ANTI-REVERSION' is what was meant but, I'd be wrong. I'd pop for a good pair of anti-reversion plates (for a number of reasons) and make whatever mods are necessary to fit those. In my experiences, 'those' will almost certainly show improvement on 'line-of-sight' runner orientation configurations. Wilson are the one's I've seen and used but there are others that are THAT STYLE that'll work. Other brands just don't come to mind ATM.

So what is the difference between sheer plates and anti reversion plates? On Wilson manifolds website I see nothing that's said anti-reversion plate

Re: New tunnel ram top - 01/16/22 07:32 AM

So what is the difference between sheer plates and anti reversion plates? On Wilson manifolds website I see nothing that's said anti-reversion plate

They are the same thing from what I have been lead to believe. Any others I refer to as a transition spacer. I took this information from a podcast or video with Darin Morgan. I figure he knows more than I do.

Re: New tunnel ram top - 01/16/22 07:40 AM

I will attach some examples, hopefully it works

Open transition for a shear plate

Attached picture 20220107_172240.jpg

Re: New tunnel ram top - 01/16/22 07:41 AM

4 hole transition spacer

Attached picture 20220106_150221.jpg

Re: New tunnel ram top - 01/16/22 07:47 AM

Shear/Anti Reversion Plate

Attached picture 20220116_183640.jpg

Re: New tunnel ram top - 01/16/22 07:51 AM

This is the type of insert I referred to earlier

Attached picture open_manifold_shear_plate-1.jpg

Re: New tunnel ram top - 01/18/22 02:05 PM

The extended cones do a good job keeping direct pulses from 'talking' to the carbs, that is the specific type I was mentioning. Thanks for the pics Alan.

Re: New tunnel ram top - 01/18/22 05:34 PM

This is the shear plate i'm using on top of my tunnel ram

Attached picture 20220118_112905[1163].jpg
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: New tunnel ram top - 01/18/22 05:48 PM

I did the same with my top. I also made white nylon spacer for heat dissipation on the street. If you look closely you can see it sandwiched in there.

Attached picture IMG_8664.jpg

Re: New tunnel ram top - 01/18/22 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by 6PKRTSE
I did the same with my top. I also made white nylon spacer for heat dissipation on the street. If you look closely you can see it sandwiched in there.

Looks good

Re: New tunnel ram top - 01/18/22 11:40 PM

How many different things are you going to try? A sharp edge, versus a radius or taper on the plenum side below the carb? Plenum spacers?

I made this for a friend in 2014, I am still waiting for it to be tested (the customer had some personal issues). No idea if it was good, bad or otherwise.

Attached picture 20140911_100307.jpg

Re: New tunnel ram top - 01/18/22 11:41 PM

This is the top finished on an Indy intake

Attached picture IMG_20141018_113822.jpg
Posted By: moparx

Re: New tunnel ram top - 01/19/22 05:23 PM

nice work LA. up
beer

Re: New tunnel ram top - 07/05/22 05:06 PM

[quote=Cab_Burge]Try it and let us know your results wrench :up
Good luck, it looks really good bow up [/quot

\ It picked up a tenth in 1/4 .......8.90 @ 153

Attached picture 20220616_133440[1241].jpg

Re: New tunnel ram top - 07/05/22 09:51 PM

[quote=Cab_Burge]Try it and let us know your results wrench :up
Good luck, it looks really good bow up [/quot

\ It picked up a tenth in 1/4 .......8.90 @ 153 bow up Thanks for sharing that information!

Posted By: John Burdine

Re: New tunnel ram top - 07/05/22 09:58 PM

a tenth at that level is nothing to sneeze at.

Re: New tunnel ram top - 07/06/22 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by 493_john
a tenth at that level is nothing to sneeze at.

ya very happy with the APD Carbs.....never had to touch them out of the box

Re: New tunnel ram top - 07/06/22 12:58 PM

Nice! Can you give us some details of the car/engine? What were your incrementals? At 153 MPH there's probably more ET in it too!
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: New tunnel ram top - 07/06/22 04:45 PM

So there were more changes than just the top of the manifold?

We made these tapered plates for tunnel ram set ups last year. Did a little testing on the Stratus and saw some improvement but did not have time to fully flog on them. Maybe on the dyno one day.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dragula

Re: New tunnel ram top - 07/06/22 09:55 PM

This is the top finished on an Indy intake

If I could buy a top like that, I would probably go with an Indy TR....
Posted By: mr_340

Re: New tunnel ram top - 07/08/22 02:42 AM

Do the shear plates have the ribbing to shear off the fuel from the walls?

It appears the anti-reversion plates have a trough around the openings to reverse the direction of flow.

The other ones posted look like a diffuser style with a tapered opening. A pressure recovery like the downside of a venturi.

Does that summarize the differences?

Re: New tunnel ram top - 07/10/22 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by mr_340
Do the shear plates have the ribbing to shear off the fuel from the walls?

I don't know exactly as to what is going on, whether a boundary layer is being created or whatever. Some spacers will have a smooth tapered surface, others are machined with steps. Everyone has a different way of thinking. In many cases, I believe it comes down to what might be easy to machine, or as silly as it sounds, what is visially appealing to the purchaser.

"It appears the anti-reversion plates have a trough around the openings to reverse the direction of flow."

Most that you see will have that trough or groove that you are refering too. I have been meaning to test without it, or adding a pocket instead

The other ones posted look like a diffuser style with a tapered opening. A pressure recovery like the downside of a venturi.

I think Darin Morgan described them best, by refering to them as transition spacers. A means of transitioning from the carb to the manifold

Does that summarize the differences?

Re: New tunnel ram top - 07/13/22 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by Al_Alguire
So there were more changes than just the top of the manifold?

We made these tapered plates for tunnel ram set ups last year. Did a little testing on the Stratus and saw some improvement but did not have time to fully flog on them. Maybe on the dyno one day.

[Linked Image]

No
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: New tunnel ram top - 07/13/22 05:40 PM

Cool, just saw a reference to some APD carbs too.
© 2024 Moparts Forums