Moparts

Roller Cam Shopping

Posted By: 2BblHarold

Roller Cam Shopping - 12/30/21 01:20 AM

After a teardown and finding my lifters are flat, I'm looking for your thoughts on a good roller cam.
318, LD4B, Holley 600, 9/1 comp, 302 heads, 2.94 rear, auto, stock converter, '68 Coronet. Local cruiser with good hwy manners, tho a moderately lumpy idle won't hurt my feelings. Thanks!
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Roller Cam Shopping - 12/30/21 01:24 AM

I don’t know how the SB Mopar roller cam core situation is at the moment, but it’s been pretty bleak all year so far.

It might end up coming down to buying from wherever they have a core to grind.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Roller Cam Shopping - 12/30/21 03:39 PM

I hope this isn't off topic but the thought of running a steel billet roller on the street scares me. Would it be possible to buy a big cast flat tappet cam and regrind it to a street roller profile?
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Roller Cam Shopping - 12/30/21 05:33 PM

For that you could call a couple of cam companies, as well as a cam regrinder to see what can be done, what cores would work, etc. I would guess a used performance cam would give you better options for regrinding.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Roller Cam Shopping - 12/30/21 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by gregsdart
For that you could call a couple of cam companies, as well as a cam regrinder to see what can be done, what cores would work, etc. I would guess a used performance cam would give you better options for regrinding.

I agree that would be the definite route. But when I am having a brain fart I like to just throw it out there. Three basic types of responses, 1) yes, it will work, 2) you should check with a vendor and see (this is the class your response fits into), and 3) that is the stupidest thing I've ever read, are you building model airplanes without enough ventilation?

When the time comes closer I'd probably call someone like Hughes for advice. Thanks for the response. up

Re: Roller Cam Shopping - 12/30/21 11:07 PM

Ugg! I didn't realize just how messed up the cam world is with the supply chain woes. I haven't located anything in stock, but some suppliers are taking there best guess at shipping dates, April and beyond. That has me thinking to throw a Summit cam in while being as careful as I can on break in. At least I can be up in a week or so.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Roller Cam Shopping - 12/31/21 12:53 AM

Try contacting John Partridge at Bullet racing cams @ 662-893-5670 up scope twocents
Posted By: SV_MOPARS

Re: Roller Cam Shopping - 12/31/21 01:18 AM

I ended up buying an off the shelf hughes hydraulic roller, was gonna have dwayne porter grind me one but i never heard back from him, he was checking to see if any cores were available. im not going racing with this car, so an off the shelf will be just fine.
Posted By: MarkZ

Re: Roller Cam Shopping - 12/31/21 01:23 AM

What year block is it? 302 heads makes it sound like an 80's if those heads came with it. If it's a factory roller block then you can grab a factory roller from a bone yard and have it reground. Or, since you're probaby looking at a complete rebuild anyways just grab a roller motor.

Even if stuff is in stock you're going to be looking $1500 to retrofit a non-roller block between the cam, lifters, springs and rockers. Maybe more.

Re: Roller Cam Shopping - 12/31/21 02:01 AM

This is a '68 block, I put the 302 heads on it a few years ago. I recently lost a cylinder, went digging, and found my flattened lifters.
Anyhoo, I just ordered a new comp cams kit. I'm out a few hundred but I'll be up a lot sooner than going the roller route.
© 2024 Moparts Forums